Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is producing your points?

of the Strawhat crew.
    Just a warning.... but you guys might want to watch out for this error:

"MDIO ERROR: cannot open file "restart.coor""

It's on 99% of my failed WU's lately.
    Edit: It's on a lot of my completed ones also....
    Last edited by Gamekiller; 08-19-2009 at 09:26 PM.

XtremeSystems BF3 Platoon - Any XS member is welcome.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Kinda got some bad news for multi-GPU setups.

Was going thru INFRNLs results and the numbers did not look right. So I copied all the valid results for each machine into a spreadsheet. Kinda tedious but glad I did it.
    Rank 1 machine average PPD = 20914 - that is 1 GPU 20914/1 = 20914 - 4 -5 WUs a day
    Rank 2 machine average PPD = 53859 - that is 3 GPUs 53859/3 = 17593 - 10 WUs a day
    Rank 3 machine average PPD = 33809 - that is 2 GPUs 33809/2 = 16904 - 6 - 7 WUs a day

I am going to recheck all my numbers. There are things that could effect all this such as overclocks, amount of time ran each day etc that only INFRNL can enlighten us on but if these are accurate then multi-GPU setups do not look advantageous point wise.
    Last edited by PoppaGeek; 08-19-2009 at 09:33 PM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    No comments?

I am Addicted!
    Quote Originally Posted by PoppaGeek View Post
    Kinda got some bad news for multi-GPU setups.

Was going thru INFRNLs results and the numbers did not look right. So I copied all the valid results for each machine into a spreadsheet. Kinda tedious but glad I did it.
    Rank 1 machine average PPD = 20914 - that is 1 GPU 20914/1 = 20914 - 4 -5 WUs a day
    Rank 2 machine average PPD = 53859 - that is 3 GPUs 53859/3 = 17593 - 10 WUs a day
    Rank 3 machine average PPD = 33809 - that is 2 GPUs 33809/2 = 16904 - 6 - 7 WUs a day

I am going to recheck all my numbers. There are things that could effect all this such as overclocks, amount of time ran each day etc that only INFRNL can enlighten us on but if these are accurate then multi-GPU setups do not look advantageous point wise.

EDIT: I do not know if it just depends on wu's, but it does look like multi gpu's definately take some kind of hit.

It shouldn't matter how many lanes the slots has does it? obviously single is 16. my dual rig should be 16/16, but triple gpu rig is 16/16/4 I believe. Its a biostar x58. maybe each card take a little ore of a hit.

I would take one out of the triple rig and run it on the single, but not sure If it will mess up the #'s?

Sorry for the delay PG. Your thinking is correct. seems as though the single GPU system has a higher rac. but if you go unde my stats and look at ACTUAL points per day per system I think it come out a bit closer to being the same.

Also my rac on the 3 gpu rig is not accurate yet. I had 3 cards running for almost a week I think then put them on F2H for a while and just this week I believe put them back onto the grid. That system doesnt doesnt have a true month of continuous time.

I have also noticed that RAC it a total avg from total points. I do not know what I am trying to say. Basically if you ran for 1 month and took them off for 2, then your rac would be all jacked up and would not be an accurate measurement for ppd calculations
    Last edited by INFRNL; 08-20-2009 at 08:04 PM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    The numbers I used were for actual days not by week or month and I did not count any day that was very different. If it usually did 10 - 11 WUs a day then a day of 5 was not used. I did not use the numbers on the first page but the numbers under Tasks. That is what concerned me.

I am trying to find other multi-GPU systems to compare but Mikeb12 is getting alot of errors and with a stomach full of staples I doubt he cares too much right now. No one else had systems that were in use a long time and did not have too many errors.

I put the spreadsheet on Google Docs. I deleted the Sent column and the Status column to make it a little easier to read.
    Last edited by PoppaGeek; 08-20-2009 at 08:18 PM.

I am Addicted!
    I think my error rate is pretty low and I think the single and double gpu have been running just over a month now, maybe getting closer to 2 months; can't recall. looks like single is approx 23k/day roughly and dual and triple are closer to 20k/day. is that kind of what you are seeing?

but if you take my total points and divide by 6 gpus; it comes to around 18-19k. That could be due to not enough time on the 3 gpu rig; not sure.

EDIT: I think I meant total for today, but yesterday was a bit better. I do not know if they are done with updates for today or not. do they update twice a day like WCG?

I am going to run my Q9550 rig with single GPU on the grid for a little bit and see how it compares to my other single GPU...sorry f@h
    Last edited by INFRNL; 08-20-2009 at 08:57 PM.

of the Strawhat crew.
    I'm getting so many errors even with my card stock..
    I'm even getting errors with my 8600gt...
    temps aren't the issue... no idea what is

Xtreme Cruncher
    gamekiller: I dunno but the trick for my cards seems to be finding the drivers that card or system likes. I have not tried swapping cards to see if it is a MB thing or a driver thing or both but zero errors in F@H on 182.50 drivers on 192 shader and Zero erros on GPUGrid with 190.38 drivers 216 shader. Change drivers and all I get is problems. Kinda like a woman I guess if something makes them happy then leave it alone. Happy is good.

Try different drivers.

Xtreme Cruncher
    INFRNL: Sorry to have picked on you but you had the best results for comparing 1, 2 and 3 card setups and it seems to me there is a diminishing return on multi-GPU setups. More time may show it differently but I think it is worth watching.

of the Strawhat crew.
    The 190.38 lets me keep my gtx 295 in sli mode.

I am Addicted!
    INFRNL: Sorry to have picked on you but you had the best results for comparing 1, 2 and 3 card setups and it seems to me there is a diminishing return on multi-GPU setups. More time may show it differently but I think it is worth watching.
    I don't mind; I am just trying to help you figure it out.

I cannot afford a system for each card and wether it be here or f@h we will have to lose a few points on multi gpu setups. Still great production IMO.

I also want to add that my rig with dual gpu's is on vista 64 and the other 2 are on win 7

The Q9550 rig I will be adding here in a moment is single gpu on vista 64; So we can add more results into the comparison

I may have messed some stuff up . I upgraded boinc on the 9550 rig to 6.6.36, boinc would not get any work for gpu grid, kept getting an error, said I had to upgrade driver. so I updated to the 190.38 <<< I think it is. anyway, I got it running now, but it downloaded like 5 or 6 wu's.
    I do not think I want that many for a single gpu; I will lose out on my bonus points; will keep an eye on it.

now for my dual gpu rig. I decided to upgrade as well to see how it works for SLI, but it got rid of all my Grid work and downloaded new work. So basically I lost the work I was working on. So I am now missing 2 wu's. another thing is I wasn't paying attention and wanted to try and hook up my 3rd monitor and all the screens went blank for a second. So it errored out my current wu's. so now I have 2 additional errored wu's to add to my list.
    I think most of the error on the cards are from me or power outtages.

Anyway; I will keep you posted. may have to upgrade the drivers on other 2 rigs If I do not run into any problems with the 190.38 driver
    Last edited by INFRNL; 08-20-2009 at 11:40 PM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I have always gotten 2 WUs at a time. Since I did not play LOTRO for 2 days it completed 3 WUs a day instead of usual 2. Today I have 6 WUs in queue. There goes my bonus.

I am Addicted!
    I think they just recently changed something

maybe it depends on drivers. the 9550 rig did not like the 190.38 driver; it made the screen go blank and would flicker every few seconds.

I put the 186.18(I think) drivers on it errored out the cuda23 wu's and downloaded some new ones. I now only have 1 wu in queue again

the dual gpu rig is still running strong with sli enabled, but I think if you disable sli you lose your work automatically, not 100% sure. However 10 wu's in queue= . will see by tomorrow if I need to make changes to get less wu's in queue

Xtreme Cruncher
    I have always gotten 2 WUs at a time. Since I did not play LOTRO for 2 days it completed 3 WUs a day instead of usual 2. Today I have 6 WUs in queue. There goes my bonus.
    hey poppa i thought you had a ATI card i would use that to play games on or is that card folding for you just curious

Xtreme Cruncher
    The ATI 4850 is in a box. Too much heat for F@H considering 1 in 5 WUs error, usually after 6 - 9 hours. I may bring it back up this winter. After gaming on a 260 though I would want a 4870-4890 to game on. I am looking to get either another 260 or a 275 if I can find a good deal on one. Re-cert 260s (216) are about $135 on Newegg, would like to find a 275 re-cert but no luck so far.

I do not count rebates. Got burned too many times over the years.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I can find nothing in forums on why I went from 1 WUs in queue to 5. Someone that has been doing this awhile, is this normal? My card produced enough WUs to be trusted? I looked thru settings on web site and found nothing to control how many WUs I get at a time but I will get no bonus for 2 - 3 WUs.

of the Strawhat crew.
    I have 5 in queue with 2 running and I have tons of errored units so maybe it's something on their side.

WCG Cruncher
    I have to sell a 9800gtx to finance a gtx280: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=232667

Distributed Computing: Making the world a better place, one work-unit at a time.

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/index.jsp

of the Strawhat crew.
    Lol @ the massive Delta! Ha! I love fans like that... though I need to get rid of mine... only so much I can take from their noise.

I am Addicted!
    I can find nothing in forums on why I went from 1 WUs in queue to 5. Someone that has been doing this awhile, is this normal? My card produced enough WUs to be trusted? I looked thru settings on web site and found nothing to control how many WUs I get at a time but I will get no bonus for 2 - 3 WUs.
    I saw a setting that says keep enough work for 5 days; then says something about forcing 5 days on ver 5.1...something like that. I changed it to 1 day; thinking about aborting some projects to maintain bonus points.

My dual gpu rig is now on 190.38 w/ sli enabled, but its showing approx 13-14hrs per wu now . I do not know if it actually takes that long, but it does take a long time. I really dont mind as long as my ppd remain consistent, but damn thats a long wu.
    This rig seems to be running fine. will monitor for a couple days; If I do not like the results I will default back to 186.18 drivers as I know there are no issues.

new gpu rig added last night; I found out that my issue had something to do with the OC. This card is a factory oc BFG, but cannot handle the oc that all my evga's are running .

I have noticed a bunch of errors too. I think I need to reinstall drivers. just not sure if I want to run 190 or stick with 186 drivers ....
    now that I know my problem was oc related, I might try the 190.38 driver again and monitor results.

Even though I had issues early this morning and lost a bunch of work; my ppd still came out well for the day so far @ 100kish today
    Last edited by INFRNL; 08-22-2009 at 01:05 AM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    192 drivers will fetch CUDA 2.3 WUs and older drivers will get 2.2. So switching drivers will loose WUs in progress.

I am Addicted!
    192 drivers will fetch CUDA 2.3 WUs and older drivers will get 2.2. So switching drivers will loose WUs in progress.
    I know. I am thinking of just going back to 186.18 because I am not seeing good results in work on 190.38.
    Last edited by INFRNL; 08-22-2009 at 01:05 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12