Thread: Totally replace the 4 in 1 cooler on the blackops with thermalright HSinks

Totally replace the 4 in 1 cooler on the blackops with thermalright HSinks

Hey everyone.

So the possibility of going water with this blackops is dead, as it would cost me too much money to do it right, and also my case is far to small.
    So I had another idea.

Would it be possible to replace the entire 4in1 cooler monstrosity with the following
    Chipset Heatsinks (clicky)
    and
    Mosfet HS (clicky)
    Achieving better temps and personally having your board look freaking amazing?

cheers for any replies and tolerating this n00bish question

Xtreme Member
    I have the HR 05 SLi/IFX on my NB, looking back the HR 05 IFX would have probably been the better option. (See this Post)

I never considered the mosfet cooler but the idea appeals to me (as you see from the link above I'm still utilising the heatpipes)

SB cooler option would be ????

You see the little video in the middle of the page here.

Looks like they just use two HR 05 IFX's - One for the SB and one on the NB.
    Now the problem with that in my eyes is that my GFX card will hit the SB HS. So I was thinking your HR 05 SLi/IFX would be perfect!

I'm very close to ordering all the parts to replace the 4in1 cooler but I'm really worried incase the Mosfet one doesn't fit. Or incase the replaced cooling system is less effective.

Actually looking at this, it's a horrible idea. My GFX card fan will be right next to the SB HS and will be sucking up the heat it gives off...

I may replace the copper block like you have done with the HR 05 IFX.
    Did you notice better temps ( i know you said only about 5 degrees but surely it has been more since?

Xtreme Member
    sb doesn't throw off to much heat btw

Quote Originally Posted by saxile View Post
    sb doesn't throw off to much heat btw
    There is no way something as small as this could work passively... Is there?

Clicky

Or maybe if there was room this would be better

Xtreme X.I.P.
    you dont need a mosfet heatsink, just cut the heatpipe and use the default one... its 100% copper on BO and works quite well iirc
    i have the 05 and its a good heatsink... but i wouldnt run it passive, itll get hot i think

those copper heatsinks look sweet!
    those will be fine for sure, and for the sb, yeah man, that thing will be fine even passive!

Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    you dont need a mosfet heatsink, just cut the heatpipe and use the default one... its 100% copper on BO and works quite well iirc
    i have the 05 and its a good heatsink... but i wouldnt run it passive, itll get hot i think
    There has to be a way to passively cool the blackops x48... the rampage extreme x48 does it with those small fin things...

Hold on here. What is the safe operating temp for the blakops nb anyway?!
    60 wasn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    those copper heatsinks look sweet!
    those will be fine for sure, and for the sb, yeah man, that thing will be fine even passive!
    Sweet, mini HS sorted lol

The southbridge isn't as hot so that copper one should be fine.

I'm not about the Mosfet but if you want to go all out, you can get Thermalright everything. Thermalright mosfer, HR-05 for NB and a SLI version of HR-05 for the Southbridge.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    of course its possible to passive cool BO or any other X48 board... but if you want it is another question... i wouldnt recommend it if you plan to overclock...
    the x48 nb is specced for up to 92C:
    http://www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/designguide/317612.pdf

but i wouldnt want to have it above 60C, and as low as possible when overclocking...