Thread: Fan question in regards to different radiators

Xtreme Mentor

Fan question in regards to different radiators

We all know that certain radiators work better with high-speed fans and others are optimized with low speed fans, so the main question is, are there certain fans that perform well on some radiators but don't work well with others.

For example, would a 38mm fan work better on a thinner radiator, but not perform drastically better than a 25mm fan on a larger radiator.

Do shrouds benefit certain radiators more than others?
    Asus P6T, I7-920, 6gb ocz xmp, 4890, Raid 0-1 Terabyte, full watercooled - Triple Loop 5 radiators

Engineering The Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie3dfx View Post
    We all know that certain radiators work better with high-speed fans and others are optimized with low speed fans, so the main question is, are there certain fans that perform well on some radiators but don't work well with others.

For example, would a 38mm fan work better on a thinner radiator, but not perform drastically better than a 25mm fan on a larger radiator.

I wouldn't think so - however somebody needs to do equivalence testing between push-pull and one high speed fan, I want to know if push/pull can provide more flow with less noise on a GTX rad than one high speed fan can.

Do shrouds benefit certain radiators more than others?
    depends on how far the fan is mounted from the core @ stock

Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by SNiiPE_DoGG View Post
    I wouldn't think so - however somebody needs to do equivalence testing between push-pull and one high speed fan, I want to know if push/pull can provide more flow with less noise on a GTX rad than one high speed fan can.
    In almost all cases (basically any restriction more than a basic dust filter), it's more efficient (from a noise point of view) to do push-pull than it is to increase RPM. This really only falls apart at really high RPMs where noise is so high you probably don't care to begin with.

A GTX rad benefits very much from push-pull...fans are nothing more than 'air pumps' with very, very short PQ curves (especially when you consider how much airflow they provide)....doubling the height of the PQ curve is a great way to increase flow.

Let me dig up some old test data I have on a TRUE

EDIT: bah, seems my .xlsx files are all back on my NAS back in Michigan....I have a few graphs on my laptop that are kind of related, but don't show exactly what I'm talking about with noise efficacy of push-pull vs. RPM-increase
    Last edited by Vapor; 08-18-2009 at 07:22 AM. Reason: edit

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SNiiPE_DoGG View Post
    Why not you SD You've already done some of the best modding and worklogs possible. Why not poke a little fun at testing.

[Project] Lateralus
    ------------------
    Intel i7 920 DO @4.2gz /H20
    EVGA Classified 760 /H20
    EVGA GTX275 715/1600 /H20
    6gb Corsair Dominator CL7
    Auzentech X-fi Forte
    Intel X25-M G2 80gb
    WD Black 1TB
    Corsair 1000HX
    Custom Silverstone TJ07

Engineering The Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapor View Post
    In almost all cases (basically any restriction more than a basic dust filter), it's more efficient (from a noise point of view) to do push-pull than it is to increase RPM. This really only falls apart at really high RPMs where noise is so high you probably don't care to begin with.

A GTX rad benefits very much from push-pull...fans are nothing more than 'air pumps' with very, very short PQ curves (especially when you consider how much airflow they provide)....doubling the height of the PQ curve is a great way to increase flow.

Let me dig up some old test data I have on a TRUE
    looking forward to it, thanks for the response vapor, as you have confirmed my suspicions

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage View Post
    Why not you SD You've already done some of the best modding and worklogs possible. Why not poke a little fun at testing.
    Honestly, I have seriously considered doing my own radiator fan combo testing, I almost bought all the tools to do it last night - however I canceled those plans because I decided that living in the frat house this year there isnt a chance of me being able to get a consistent ambient noise level. :\