Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 29101112

Thread: LGA 1156 Core i7s & Core i5s Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by villa1n View Post
    Exactly.. Well I guess we ll see when the nda lifts for the 5870 how those do in xfire and if they bottleneck x8 pcie2.0 on lynnfield.

Damn... I'm afraid that only ONE HD5870 could bottleneck x8 lanes in lynnfield
    E8500 @ 4.2Ghz cooled by Tuniq | Dfi Lanparty LT X38-T2R bios 821| 2x2gb GSkill Pi 8800 | 2x Seagate Barracuda SP 250gb raid 0 + 160gb | Saphire HD5850 | Creative X-Fi Platinum | Corsair HX620 | All boxed in a lovely CM690 |

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by golden_boy View Post
    Damn... I'm afraid that only ONE HD5870 could bottleneck x8 lanes in lynnfield
    What exactlly do you mean? Why would you use only 8 lanes with single card?

Quote Originally Posted by kl0012 View Post
    What exactlly do you mean? Why would you use only 8 lanes with single card?

Forget it, bad sleep and no coffe

I meant that i'm afraid of a single 5870 or 5870x2 could be bottlenecked in lynnfield platform (750) beacause i was thinking in that combo for my next build

regards
    E8500 @ 4.2Ghz cooled by Tuniq | Dfi Lanparty LT X38-T2R bios 821| 2x2gb GSkill Pi 8800 | 2x Seagate Barracuda SP 250gb raid 0 + 160gb | Saphire HD5850 | Creative X-Fi Platinum | Corsair HX620 | All boxed in a lovely CM690 |

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Clairvoyant129
    How cute,
    You see, with those reviews I don't even know what kind of a test platform they used. It's funny how you need to go find obscure reviews in a foreign language.

You love quoting Anand but when I used his results to backup my conclusions, you go find some reviews in a different language and god knows what kind of a OS they used (since Linux favors PIIs and you seem to pick reviews where they used Linux as main OS)... thanks but it's obvious you can't pick any major reviews since they contradict your conclusion.

And lol, don't even bother with Planet3D... must be your favorite site huh?

Yeah silly Germans and their "language" ,a "small" and insignificant country with no knowledge of IT/computers,no IT market and poor journalists .
    /sarcasm
    BTW those two "silly" computer websites just happen to be among the best German computer related websites around with huge community behind them.The reviews used a large pool of applications,covering office ,multimedia and gaming and drew an average from those.You may like it or not,but they done a great job.
    Quote Originally Posted by v0dka View Post
    Yeah because only English speaking reviewers know they are doing, what do Germans know about computers. Silly little country with only 80 million people.
    Yep, in his mind German websites are somehow less knowledgeable just because they use "foreign" language and their reviews are somehow "obscure"(despite the fact they used massive amount of apps in their reviews).

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gosh View Post
    don't you think it is strange that most sites are testing same apps?
    if tests are perfect that you should get suspicios because testing different apps is not perfect.
    What I think is the best reviews is those that show up after those done on the release date. Reviews done in other languages often test other applications.

You don't get it do you?

Why do you think those apps were created.. ? What comes first, the chicken or the egg? We as consumers use apps, play games or crunch, etc.. These apps are designed and made to benchmark all aspects of a CPU/GPU's performance.

People are showing you different graphs, to illustrate the point you are trying to make is rather minuscule. As there are other graphs testing the same micro-archetecture/parts that benefits having a L3 cache, etc..

You simply dismiss them, because you are not being honest with yourself.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by informal View Post
    Yeah silly Germans and their "language" ,a "small" and insignificant country with no knowledge of IT/computers,no IT market and poor journalists .
    /sarcasm
    BTW those two "silly" computer websites just happen to be among the best German computer related websites around with huge community behind them.The reviews used a large pool of applications,covering office ,multimedia and gaming and drew an average from those.You may like it or not,but they done a great job.
    DID I say they are less knowledgeable? I think I need to spell it out for you since you don't seem to be able to comprehend what I'm saying.

Since it is in a foreign language, I have no idea how they tested their platform. (yes I see your pretty little charts but I have no clue their testing methodology). Do you get it now?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Xoulz View Post
    People are showing you different graphs, to illustrate the point you are trying to make is rather minuscule. As there are other graphs testing the same micro-archetecture/parts that benefits having a L3 cache, etc..

You simply dismiss them, because you are not being honest with yourself.
    No, I am a programmer and it is possible to check how the processor performs doing test apps. I am also developing applications that need performance.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Clairvoyant129 View Post
    DID I say they are less knowledgeable? I think I need to spell it out for you since you don't seem to be able to comprehend what I'm saying.

Since it is in a foreign language, I have no idea how they tested their platform. (yes I see your pretty little charts but I have no clue their testing methodology). Do you get it now?
    There is a "System setup" page in every review so those have it to.Be creative and click (for example) pages 3,4 or 5 and you'll see it don't worry. BTW,there is a thing called google translate and it does the job great for the quick'n'dirty translations if you really need to know the details of what and how they tested.
    Last edited by informal; 09-21-2009 at 11:34 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by golden_boy View Post
    Forget it, bad sleep and no coffe

I meant that i'm afraid of a single 5870 or 5870x2 could be bottlenecked in lynnfield platform (750) beacause i was thinking in that combo for my next build

regards
    Yes, thats what i worry about as well, 5870 x 2 or 5870x2, which is what i wanted to build out...but with 8x pci-e 2.0 have enough bandwidth for maxed out 1920x1080 resolutions 16af 8aa etc .. Which is what i d like to play the new games at, and with eyevision, maybe grab another monitor as well.. so.. its pretty pertinent. I like the lynnfield because the oc results seem pretty easy to hit 4.0ghz 24/7 on air, with the right airflow.. versus the 920 where there's a bit of lucky chip factor involved still. That and the mobo's for x58 are about 70$ more
    " Business is Binary, your either a 1 or a 0, alive or dead." - Gary Winston ^^

Asus rampage III formula,i7 980xm, H70, Silverstone Ft02, Gigabyte Windforce 580 GTX SLI, Corsair AX1200, intel x-25m 160gb, 2 x OCZ vertex 2 180gb, hp zr30w, 12gb corsair vengeance

Rig 2
    i7 980x ,h70, Antec Lanboy Air, Samsung md230x3 ,Saphhire 6970 Xfired, Antec ax1200w, x-25m 160gb, 2 x OCZ vertex 2 180gb,12gb Corsair Vengence MSI Big Bang Xpower

Xtreme Guru
    But even though you get x16 if you use a single slot, if you put a raid card or sound card or dvr card, whatever, on the second x16 slot it still knocks you down to x8 on that SINGLE gpu..i would not like being restricted like that.
    "Lurking" Since 1977

Jesus Saves, God Backs-Up
    *I come to the news section to ban people, not read complaints.*-[XC]Gomeler
    Don't believe Squish, his hardware does control him!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Computurd View Post
    But even though you get x16 if you use a single slot, if you put a raid card or sound card or dvr card, whatever, on the second x16 slot it still knocks you down to x8 on that SINGLE gpu..i would not like being restricted like that.
    You could just use a regular pci slot ^^ , i guess though a raid card is usually pci-e. Yeah for workstation type uses , not the ideal platform, but thats what x58 is for :P
    " Business is Binary, your either a 1 or a 0, alive or dead." - Gary Winston ^^

Asus rampage III formula,i7 980xm, H70, Silverstone Ft02, Gigabyte Windforce 580 GTX SLI, Corsair AX1200, intel x-25m 160gb, 2 x OCZ vertex 2 180gb, hp zr30w, 12gb corsair vengeance

Rig 2
    i7 980x ,h70, Antec Lanboy Air, Samsung md230x3 ,Saphhire 6970 Xfired, Antec ax1200w, x-25m 160gb, 2 x OCZ vertex 2 180gb,12gb Corsair Vengence MSI Big Bang Xpower

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Computurd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by villa1n View Post
    You could just use a regular pci slot ^^ , i guess though a raid card is usually pci-e. Yeah for workstation type uses , not the ideal platform, but thats what x58 is for :P
    Or just use the pci-e slot wich dont split down to x8.. there is boards that just use x16 / x4, or x8 / x8 and 8x / x8 / x4.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Migi06 View Post
    Or just use the pci-e slot wich dont split down to x8.. there is boards that just use x16 / x4, or x8 / x8 and 8x / x8 / x4.
    Most of the 1156 MB comming with x16 (x8x8)/ x1/ x1. Right now PCIe 2.0 x1 is enough for most periphery devices (including one SATA 6GB device).

These new Core i7 do appeal to me. The i7 860 is slightly faster than the old i7 920 and consumes less power which is another bonus and is priced closely. I may considering getting this with the P55 board. Does anybody know does the new Core i7 generates less heat than the older i7's?
    AMD Threadripper 12 core 1920x CPU OC at 4Ghz | ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme X399 motherboard | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 RAM | Gigabyte 11GB GTX 1080 Ti Aorus Xtreme GPU | SilverStone Strider Platinum 1000W Power Supply | Crucial 1050GB MX300 SSD | 4TB Western Digital HDD | 60" Samsung JU7000 4K UHD TV at 3840x2160

Xtreme Mentor
    yes the new i7's 860/870 do generate less heat and eat less also but they are not the ideal choice if you have the cash get a i7 920 instead.
    Coming Soon

Xtreme Guru
    Well what I can see the 1156 cpus reminds me more of the old stepping Bloomfields. They require more volt but also run a bit cooler. I run my rather crappy sample i7-860 at 4.0GHz 1.41v (bios) / 1.376v CPU-Z and I get 33~37C idle and 68~71C load with HT disabled and 73~75C with HT enabled in LinX with a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus & Arctic Cooling MX-3 with stock fan @ ~1700rpm in 20~21C room temp. When gaming ~55C.

I could have afford X58 but I preferred choosing P55.
    Last edited by RPGWiZaRD; 09-22-2009 at 02:19 AM.
    Intel? Core i5-4670K @ 4.3 GHz | ASRock Extreme6 Z87 | G.Skill Sniper 2x8GB @ DDR4-1866 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 970 OC Windforce 3x | Super Flower Titanium 1000W | ViewSonic VX2268wm 120Hz LCD | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | Logitech MX-518 | Win 7 x64 Professional | Samsung 850 EVO & 840 Pro SSDs

If all people would share opinions in an objective manner, the world would be a friendlier place

Xtreme Mentor
    it is the opposite. Intel now has one processor that is equal to phenom II 955. AMD hadn't any real competition in that area before i5
    Q9550/9450 is quite old ... But I don't think you're serious

Xtreme Mentor

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Olivon View Post
    Q9550/9450 is quite old ... But I don't think you're serious
    No the guy is serious. There is actually a handful of these people over at amdzone who actually believe this. Once in awhile they forget where they're at and start splewging out nonsense like he did and think that normal people will accept it like they do over at bizarrozone.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by qurious63ss View Post
    No the guy is serious. There is actually a handful of these people over at amdzone who actually believe this. Once in awhile they forget where they're at and start splewging out nonsense like he did and think that normal people will accept it like they do over at bizarrozone.
    maybe you should read this document: http://software.intel.com/en-us/blog...t-prefetching/

Intel do have big focus on prefetchers and that makes the cpu fast in simpler loads, they don't work in heavier loads

Xtreme Addict
    maybe you should read this document: http://software.intel.com/en-us/blog...t-prefetching/

Intel do have big focus on prefetchers and that makes the cpu fast in simpler loads, they don't work in heavier loads
    Can you show some examples?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by gallag View Post
    Can you show some examples?
    do you not understand the document?

Xtreme Member
    do you not understand the document?
    it doesn’t help but likely won’t hurt performance either.
    No where does it say it can't handle heavy work loads.

But just for fun, let me rub it in your face so you can have trouble sleeping at night.

Nehalem is better than Deneb, light or heavy workload. If Deneb is so much superior under 100% CPU usage, why is it that professionals and workstation users prefer i7?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Clairvoyant129 View Post
    No where does it say it can't handle heavy work loads.

But just for fun, let me rub it in your face so you can have trouble sleeping at night.

Nehalem is better than Deneb, light or heavy workload. If Deneb is so much superior under 100% CPU usage, why is it that professionals and workstation users prefer i7?
    Remember that it is a document from Intel. You just have to read about how prefetching works and how it affects the cpu and then it is simple to draw conclusions.
    Workstations that do computational work should gain a lot from prefetchers. Even if there is very advanced algorithms that type of load is very simple to optimize and it needs very little code to execute.
    Compare this when one advanced game need to calculate all information from a very complicated game scene. A lot of enemies (code for how they behave). AI for the enemies. Physics and code for that, explosions, wind, fire etc. All this needs very much code to be calculated.
    If you just want to do a face which is looks very real with muscle movements etc. it is VERY complex.

Check 79 minutes in to this presentation from John Carmack when he describes what is complicated to do in games.
    QuakeCon 09: John Carmack Keynote
    Just calculating triangles is a very simple task, so simple that now with DX11 the gpu can do it (tesselation). In simple scenarios in games where streamlined computation doing triangle caluculations, prefetchers on i5/i7 would work very well for better performance. I also think that is the reason why i7 in some performance test is so fast and in others it is loosing, the L1 and L2 cache isn't that big, it is designed to be fast and work well with prefetchers but when it doesn't work it isn't that fast anymore. There AMD is faster.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 29101112