Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678

Thread: Asus P7P55D Series Discussion

I've been having weird problems with this board, which is really frustrating because I can't spend very much time playing with it per day!

Using; Cosair 750W HX PSU, Core i5-750, and Corsair Dominatior 4GB 2000Mhz CMG4GX3M2A2000C8 with a known good old 8800GTS.

I have seen a few different behaviors:
    - Fans spin up, then spin down then up over and over
    - Post hangs
    - Froze at Windows installation welcome screen
    - System boots into windows, but after a restart, it doesn't post.
    - sudden shut off when in bios once

A sure fire method to get the system to boot, was reset the cmos.

I was getting pretty angry as you might imagine. My buddy S3rvo was helping me out and pointed me to my memory voltage, which should be 1.6, and was at 1.3. When I would try to specify 1.6 it would halt on post with "Overclock Failed!" message and directed me to bios to fix.

I don't have error code beeps, but some documentation suggests that the on off behavior is the board trying to fix itself.

Light at the end of the tunnel; I updated the bios to 1702, changed the AI Tweaker to DOCP where I was able to specify DRAM settings; 2000Mhz, and the 1.6 voltage, and it *seemed* to be running smoothly. I was able to boot and restart without any of those annoying problems I was having.

Has anyone else run into any of these issues? I'm not getting the same behavior every time which make me think that I'm not setting the bios config correctly.

And I'm sitting at work, not able to test more and I'm obsessing over it!
    Last edited by MyNameIsJeff; 06-15-2010 at 10:51 AM.

Xtreme Member
    before I put my board in my case and rebuild this pc I want advice on the following.

it is the p7p55d-e

I have also read MyNameIsJeff's post which sounds a bit similiar but not the same.

Basically when I turn my board on, the fans etc. spin up, the memok light is red. It then powers off after about a second and turns itself on again but then posts as normal. This was when testing outside of a case with ram, cpu, and a 7600gt pci-e gfx card and ps2 keyboard. nothing else, no usb , no storage devices.

also my ram only works in a1 and b1 slots. The manual states a2 and b2 will only work when a1 and b1 are also populated so I thought nothing off it and assumed when I get my other 2 sticks of ram they will work, but now I seen this post which seems to be using a2 and b2 slots?

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...&postcount=175
    Last edited by Chrysalis; 06-19-2010 at 10:46 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
    before I put my board in my case and rebuild this pc I want advice on the following.

it is the p7p55d-e

I have also read MyNameIsJeff's post which sounds a bit similiar but not the same.

Basically when I turn my board on, the fans etc. spin up, the memok light is red. It then powers off after about a second and turns itself on again but then posts as normal. This was when testing outside of a case with ram, cpu, and a 7600gt pci-e gfx card and ps2 keyboard. nothing else, no usb , no storage devices.

also my ram only works in a1 and b1 slots. The manual states a2 and b2 will only work when a1 and b1 are also populated so I thought nothing off it and assumed when I get my other 2 sticks of ram they will work, but now I seen this post which seems to be using a2 and b2 slots?

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...&postcount=175
    well i always put the ram on the a1-b1 or a1-b1-c1(for the triple channel type) otherwise it won't boot(won't damage your board or ram just won't boot).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Watcher View Post
    well i always put the ram on the a1-b1 or a1-b1-c1(for the triple channel type) otherwise it won't boot(won't damage your board or ram just won't boot).
    yeah I think I am ok,the docs seem to indicate if the processor is lynfield (which mine is) it has to be a1-b1 populated, if they not then a2 b2 wont even be detected. But if different type of processor then a1 b1 a2 b2 can all be used.

Ok I put the system together in my case, pulled my back right when I was about to take out old board at that point had to finish tho and eventually got there.

I powered it on and was a very very slow post, mostly due to the jmicron just sitting there detecting drives for about 2 minutes. Right now I have my old dvd burner connected to the e-ide jmicron which does get detected and my samsung sata which does not get detected. Reason for the sata is that I plan to enable ahci on the intel ports and the samsung doesnt like ncq. So I thought ok my samsung has a problem maybe cable got loose or not powering up or something but since not my c: drive and with my back I ignored it and problem to fix later.

Went in the bios, disabled onboard sound and lan as I got x-fi and intel pro 1000 cards. Left cpu and ram on defaults. Also intel sata is currently on ide mode but will be changed soon. I found out from the manual the power off then on thing is normal due to hardware training and can be toggled in the bios, in my view power cycles are not good for hardware so I may disable it but on the other side once I have this running properly my system is on 24/7 so I wont be doing cold boots often anyway.

Next I reset and decided to look at this asus xpress gate screen but it didnt stay for long and windows started booting up, I thought this isnt going to boot surely and it did actually boot, screen res messed up. I left it doing its thing redetecting hardware and after a 2nd boot everything is normal, correct screen res and only the usb3 needing drivers. Now here is something weird, the samsung drive which failed to show on post is up and running inside windows. My cpu temps look somewhat better after windows has booted although I know the power saving is quite impressive, clocks down to 1.4ghz and lower voltage. when I first booted during dusk the temps were high 20s on the cores and today low 30s, during the windows experience index test they got to low 40s. All 4 gig of ram is working fine, no weird 2 gig issue thankfully. A bit worrying is my voltages. On my old core2duo and asus p5wdh deluxe they were almost spot on. Now I have 2 figures that look off.

the +12 is 13v which I think is just about ok but not ideal.
    the -5 tho is -2v which seems too far off. Is this something to worry about? These are reported from everest.

I got at least 2 case fans not working, front intake one I know is because I have yet to plugin to the board (couldnt find cable and with pulled back so gave up), the back fan tho should be working so I will have to double check if the power cable is ok. Also the bottom fan (antec p82) which cools most of my hdd's appears to not be spinning. So this will be contributing to the higher then expected cpu temps. It could have been worse tho, at least its booted ok. So I will need to fix fans and do ram/cpu stress tests. I am now in 2 minds whether or not I will actually reinstall windows, probably still should so the old drivers get flushed out of the system.

--update--

fans all working now, after a reboot tho I had a bsod as soon as I logged into desktop with "A driver has overrun a stack-based buffer", it didnt occur on the boot after. I hope this is due to me using an old installation rather than hardware related so I will reinstall windows now tonight.

also in the bios jmicron is either on or off, no options for ahci and bootrom. In other people's comments and reviews I see they have the extra options but they are on the original 1st gen p7p55d. The manual states the options also but the screenshot in the manual does not have the options there. Does anyone know if they appear in a newer bios? or if they were removed in an older bios perhaps? thanks.

my lan card in pci-e slot 3 appears to have some latency spikes, very minor but noticeable. but again I guess I really should be reinstalling windows before worrying about problems.
    Last edited by Chrysalis; 06-21-2010 at 08:15 AM.

Xtreme Member
    I reinstalled windows about 3-4 hours ago, was listening to an mp3 and got a bsod.

'page fault in non paged error'

seems the p55 really is flawed as I took great care putting this together, and I also ran 3 pass's on memtest they all passed which means if its hardware it looks like the board or cpu.

--update--

the problem may well be my ram, I checked the vendor site of the ram I brought and is a lot of complaints for people who have ram that passes memtest but causes occasional bsod's and other issues. I have downclocked my ram that is supposedbly rated for 1600 now to 1066 to see if the problems stop, as a way to naildown if thats the problem. As soon as I did that my first boot after my samsung started working without needing jmicron drivers. Seemed a very big coincidence.
    Last edited by Chrysalis; 06-21-2010 at 11:44 PM.

Xtreme Member
    ok the system seems stable on 1066 so I am now trying again to make stable on 1333.

What I have done is increased dimm voltage to 1.65v which is the spec ram sold as.
    Changed timings manually to match what it can do at 1600, it has no listed specs for 1333 on 1.65v. But I would like to think it can run at 1333 with same timings as 1600.
    Increased IMC by 0.05v as when left on auto and with ram at 1.65v the gap was 0.55v.

Also in regards to my samsung hdd issue.

I did some tests, the old ide burner was innocent, when I removed the samsung sata connection on bootup the ide burner is detected instantly and no delay. Replace the samsung sata connector and a 3 minute delay with the drive only working in windows with jmicron drivers installed. I considered trying it on the intel ports even knowing the drive has issues with ncq but it was a no no with the web of cables around all the intel sata ports, so put it in the marvell sata port and enabled marvell in the bios. On bootup the marvell detects the samsung no problem at all and I can use the drive in windows in ide mode without any drivers. So it would seem either my board has a defective jmicron port (I think unlikely) or the jmicron is been problematic with that drive (more likely). Next time I buy a drive I will deliberatly try it on the jmicron just to be curious if it affects other drives as well.

Also it seems with every bios update asus are removing more and more options from the bios, these are what I noticed are missing since the early p7p55d days.

Rank interleave
    Channel interleave
    Jmicron ide/ahci mode
    Jmicron bootrom on/off
    Fast MRC on/off
    Last edited by Chrysalis; 06-22-2010 at 04:58 PM. Reason: fixed errors

Xtreme Member
    Hi guys,

I'm using Asus P7P55D-E Pro with lastes BIOS version 1002 and I can't go back to version 0806.
    Both EZ-Flash 2 and Asus Update (downgrade option) don't support flashing a BIOS version which is older than the current one It's a shame on Asus

Is there anyway to do this? I did some search but couldn't figure it out

Thanks for your help
    Intel Core i7-930 | High-End Water Cooler | Asus P6T6 WS Revolution | G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3-1600 6-8-6-24 1.50V 2 x 2GB | Sea Sonic SS-750-JS

Xtreme Member
    there is an engineer build of afudos someone posted on the asus vip forum site which allows bios downgrading, I forgot the url but did download the files, so later I will try to upload them somewhere for you, you will need to boot to clean dos to use them tho. I am also on 1002 so please if possible can you give the reason for downgrading?

I had another bsod 15 minutes ago after a couple of days of stability, every bsod I have had so far seems to jump out randomly and appears unrelated to load as they all occur when almost idle. The system had also passed a 20 test run of linx.

cpu is still on stock and ram at 1333. my core2duo was a rock even overclocked, this however is quite possibly the most unstable system I have ever built. Defenitly the first one I have built where auto settings in bios are unstable.

Xtreme Member
    there is an engineer build of afudos someone posted on the asus vip forum site which allows bios downgrading, I forgot the url but did download the files, so later I will try to upload them somewhere for you, you will need to boot to clean dos to use them tho. I am also on 1002 so please if possible can you give the reason for downgrading?

I had another bsod 15 minutes ago after a couple of days of stability, every bsod I have had so far seems to jump out randomly and appears unrelated to load as they all occur when almost idle. The system had also passed a 20 test run of linx.

cpu is still on stock and ram at 1333. my core2duo was a rock even overclocked, this however is quite possibly the most unstable system I have ever built. Defenitly the first one I have built where auto settings in bios are unstable.
    Thanks m8

I had some issues with OCZ Obsidian DDR3-1600 2x2GB kit. It can't run at rated speed even with more VDIMM and loose timings

I've heard of some compatibility issues between Asus mainboard and OCZ memory.

Just wanna try some previous BIOS versions to see if anything better

BTW: I can't restore my settings from saved OC profiles which were created by BIOS version 0806. Another -1 point for Asus
    Intel Core i7-930 | High-End Water Cooler | Asus P6T6 WS Revolution | G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3-1600 6-8-6-24 1.50V 2 x 2GB | Sea Sonic SS-750-JS

I haven't read most of the previous, but it definitely sounds like memory imcompatibility. Have you tried another brand?
    Asus Z170 A
    Intel i7 6700K@4700MHz
    MSi GTX 1080 Gaming X
    16GB Kingston 2400 DDR4
    3 Samsung U28E 590D's
    Corsair AX 860i PSU
    Samsung 950 Pro NVMe, 2 Samsung 850 Pro SSD's
    Corsair Air 540 case

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockster View Post
    I haven't read most of the previous, but it definitely sounds like memory imcompatibility. Have you tried another brand?
    or ram controller aka poor cpu pin contact.

I think the cause is quite possibly a bad command rate setting.

ram spec is 2N, SPD set to nothing and bios left at a defaullt 1N. So give me a week or so and I will tell you if I reckon thats fixed it. I also had accidently set a write delay timing too low after my manual configuration which is now also fixed, however when it was crashing on the auto timings the most likely cause was the command rate. Also my board has the varying setting that changes on every reboot. Dram Read Latency setting. right now its 48. On the last 3 reboots its been on 48, 42 and 50.

Obviously changing ram brand would likely be at my own expense and ram is expensive at the moment, if I have to do that then I would be looking for compensation of someone probably of the current ram vendor since the ram I am using was specifically listed as compatible with this board.

If I am right then a solution to this problem from asus would be to default command rate to 2N unless ram SPD specifically overides it.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by amdsempron_xs View Post
    Thanks m8

I had some issues with OCZ Obsidian DDR3-1600 2x2GB kit. It can't run at rated speed even with more VDIMM and loose timings

I've heard of some compatibility issues between Asus mainboard and OCZ memory.

Just wanna try some previous BIOS versions to see if anything better

BTW: I can't restore my settings from saved OC profiles which were created by BIOS version 0806. Another -1 point for Asus
    apologies for the delay I refound the links.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/8/...FUDOS236es.zip
    and
    http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/8/...FUDOS229ES.zip

I have not tested these.

source http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?...Language=en-us

Xtreme Member
    Thanks again
    I'll give it a try

So my system appears to be stable, and Memtest reports 0 errors however when I run Prime95, blended stress test, almost instantly I receive the rounding error, while CPU only test returns none. This occurs at stock CPU settings, however not as instantly as it happens when running CPU overclocked.

Im running Corsair CMG4GX3M2A2000C8, DDR3 2000, 2x2GB with my i5-750 on a P7P55D Deluxe.

I've left ram voltages at 1.65 as specified. I've tried under-clocking the ram to no avail.

Board is on latest BIOS, with all latest chipset drivers installed.

Has anyone experienced an issue like this?
    Last edited by MyNameIsJeff; 07-20-2010 at 08:56 AM.

Probably the memory is damaged and you need to replace it. The system mean stable when the Blend Prime test running without errors at least 24H.

Xtreme Member
    try setting ram CR to 2T.

Xtreme Member
    any idea what to set for IMC voltage? i left it on auto and it keeps giving values in red. currently running 20x200, i5 760.
    where can I find a AMD phenom keychain?

I'm set IMC Voltage to 1.2V for 1600MHz memory 6-8-6-20 or 1.25V for 2000MHz 8-10-8-24. 200x20 and system rock stable in LinX and Prime Blend. But it's depending by CPU memory controller. I tried several CPU and these settings worked in all cases. CR=1N(1T)

I have problems with ocz gold 12800 low-voltage (8-8-8-24 @ 1.65v)
    I cannot pass ~1200mhz any vdimm, any imc voltaje.

could any make this modules work with an P7P55D?
    I have an i3 530

The_MAN_eta
    Sup linkin! I got a P7p55d-E deluxe but no cpu eheh! Im watching some good deals then time to test at water and air.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678