Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast

Thread: [Review] Indigo Xtreme vs. AS5, MX-2, IC Diamond, Shin-Etsu X23-7783D

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapor View Post
    Regarding the Coollaboratory stuff, I considered using it for round 1...did a single trial mount with it before real testing started and took me almost 2 hours to clean off my block

I've used it for 24/7 on a GPU and I like its performance, but for something like this where I need the blocks to not change (ever), it's not viable.

I've gone from a pad to the generic paste--I think it's a more useful baseline since there are so many variations of pads these days (but generic silicone TIM is pretty ubiquitous).

Still searching for something to fill the sixth slot Debating between a wildcard like the Rosewill or something like the Gelid-Extreme that is doing well in other reviews.
    I think go with Gelid, it is getting some good figures and would be good to include in this round.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I've gone from a pad to the generic paste--I think it's a more useful baseline since there are so many variations of pads these days (but generic silicone TIM is pretty ubiquitous).

Still searching for something to fill the sixth slot Debating between a wildcard like the Rosewill or something like the Gelid-Extreme that is doing well in other reviews.
    Sounds great Vapor.

Gelid-Extreme isn't really ground moving.

How about IC Diamond 7 ? Zalman ZM-STG2 ? Feser TIM ?
    Everyday is a NiceDay

Admin
    IC Diamond I already tested and I think, in as few words as possible, it's snake oil.

STG2 I can't find, but I was curious about it as well. I kind of wish it were in the same format as STG1 (i.e., a brush applicator) as I've never used it, but alas I can't find it stateside.

H-Bridge sounds interesting, especially when you consider this is likely the exact same stuff, just at half the price (the 9.24W/m-k has to be more than a coincidence).

That said, I've already ordered the Gelid GC3/Extreme...I haven't seen a review where it didn't give a boost over everything else, so should be interesting

Xtreme Member
    I can get you ZM-STG2 if you like.
    If your not in a big hurry I will order some from here and send it to you.

IC Diamond I already tested and I think, in as few words as possible, it's snake oil.

STG2 I can't find, but I was curious about it as well. I kind of wish it were in the same format as STG1 (i.e., a brush applicator) as I've never used it, but alas I can't find it stateside.

H-Bridge sounds interesting, especially when you consider this is likely the exact same stuff, just at half the price (the 9.24W/m-k has to be more than a coincidence).

That said, I've already ordered the Gelid GC3/Extreme...I haven't seen a review where it didn't give a boost over everything else, so should be interesting
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Member
    What?

Edit: http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.ph...1&limitstart=1
    Last edited by DeathWalking; 10-24-2009 at 04:45 PM.

Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathWalking View Post
    My usage of the term snake oil: "The expression is also applied metaphorically to any product with exaggerated marketing, but questionable or unverifiable quality or benefit."

Probably a bit harsh, but I really see little quantifiable advantage to IC Diamond over other TIMs I tested (let alone the massive selection of TIM worldwide, as shown by that 80 TIM review [as an aside, that would take me 200 days to complete with 0 minutes of break and 0 power outages, not an undertaking I ever want to do, that's for sure ]).

I couldn't remotely verify their temperature claims...and their rebuttal of "not enough pressure" is misguided misdirection. A bowed block and a slightly convex IHS (as 95%+ of LGA1366 IHSs are) is the surest way to get high pressure between the two surfaces (and still not break Intel spec for overall pressure on the socket/pins/board). If the scenario is that it doesn't do well on two convex surfaces, then it doesn't do well for the majority of people in this section and, in turn, the community I do my testing for.

It's performance was marginally better than MX-2, a significantly less expensive and more readily available TIM that's easier to use and doesn't polish your CPU.

Their "better than ________ by 3.65C" marketing is the biggest flaw in their product, IMO. If that weren't there, I'd have less disdain for their product (but if it weren't there, the product would have likely never existed with such a presence in the market and I'd have never tested it). The marketing claim is based on data that are incredibly imprecise...they're using data points that have no temperature logging, probably no ambient measurement (let alone cooler-intake temperatures), no scientific method and from very subjective sources.

Take this scenario: most of their data are from crunchers. Crunchers, by and large, have their systems loading the CPU 24/7. When they power down for an hour, their ambients go down noticeably (especially in their PC's case, which many use), then they power up with ICD with cooler room and case temperatures and a "I hope I see the same 3-4C gain others did and I hope this was worth my time" mentality in their head. They load up their CPU with BOINC (which has WUs with variable loads on the CPU) and observe for a few minutes and report back. The number of flaws the process of data collection basically makes it useless.

My testing and data are not perfect, but it's as good as I know how to get it without spending 10s of thousands of dollars. My methodology is totally automated too--I boot up, hit 3 buttons on the screen (one to log into windows, the next to start OCCT and the next to start logging with my temp probes), and come back 12 hours later with my data done. From there, I put the files on my NAS and load them on my laptop when I enter Excel and run two macros to import the data. All the data processing is completely automated, even the graphing is almost completely automated. The next frontier for me is to acquire a ASTM D5470 testbed or access to a lab that can do it (both of which are way out of my budget, lol).

And in that vein, they DID have ASTM D5470 testing done with it and that data lines up almost perfectly with my data.

Basically, their marketing claims are footing my disdain for the product. The product itself, in my testing, is acceptable and performs adequately, but that's about it

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'm testing out a few different TIMs myself (AS:5, MX-2, Ceramique & ICD7) and ICD7 hasn't gotten me excited yet, that's for sure. I will be doing more tests, but to start, I wanted to see what each one did immediately after installation at idle and loaded for 1/2 hour (with the exception of MX-2, which was already on the CPU for about two weeks).

Here are those initial results, all normalized to 24c ambient (per Vapor, whom I trust over pretty much anyone for this type of thing, ambient:cores on i7 are 1:1). The CPU is an i7 860, overclocked to 3.8GHz w/ HT on at 1.305 Vcore loaded, cooled as part of this loop: MCP-355 w/ XSPC Res Top -> Swiftech MCR-320 -> D-Tek Fuzion v.2 -> Swiftech MCW-60. The load is being applied by Prime95 using Small FFTs.

Because of that MX-2 anomaly, I'm going to be giving the three others at least 24hours to get some curing completed (IIRC, Vapor's review saw the biggest drops after an hour on AS:5 and a pretty steady drop for ~12 hours on ICD7). If results are not remotely in line with others' testing, I'll try multiple mounts of the anomalous ones. I do think the MX-2 application had to be almost perfect to show such a drastic drop.

Anyway...I'll be posting more detailed results whenever I have time to get done with the further testing, complete with all screenshots showing the data above and all subsequent data.

So far, it seems like Vapor is on to something with the above post. I'm sitting here loading ICD7 right now and after over 48 hours, it is still at least 1/2 degree worse than MX-2. I will be giving it another application to make sure it is properly applied.
    Last edited by hokiealumnus; 10-25-2009 at 10:15 AM.
    [XC] gomeler - Public note: If you PM me to tell me that I am disrespectful at least have space in your PM box so I can tell you I don't care.

[XC] gomeler - I come to the news section to ban people, not read complaints.

I heart gomeler!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Vapor, why you haven't included the OCZ freez ?

Tyler Durden
    Quote Originally Posted by Salamndar View Post
    Vapor, why you haven't included the OCZ freez ?
    OCZ Freeze = MX-2 / MX-3 depending on version. At least I'm 99% sure.
    Formerly XIP, now just P.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by EnJoY View Post
    NO!! Really, I've never knew that!

Banned
    dont even say that, i have high hopes for mx-2, and freeze is .

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by zeropluszero View Post
    dont even say that, i have high hopes for mx-2, and freeze is .
    Hmm, did you have issues with the freeze ?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EnJoY View Post
    If that's the case, strange AC lists it in their graphic showing how much better MX-3 is to everything else:

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ketzer7 View Post
    If that's the case, strange AC lists it in their graphic showing how much better MX-3 is to everything else:

And from what I've been reading and hearing the reeze is better than AS5 but not on that graph !!!!

Admin
    Freeze isn't MX-2 or MX-3...but I didn't really consider it for three reasons: I have to limit my tests to only six TIMs; it's slowly fading out of the stateside market (only FCPU and Newegg carry it now, from what I can tell); its late-in-life reviews haven't been impressive (reviews that use poor test procedures often have unrealistically good results for the newest/feature product being tested).

If I'm going to do a 7th TIM, it will be TIM Consultants 0098, which AS Matrix is based on. The testing will be to determine performance differences, if any.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Salamndar View Post
    Hmm, did you have issues with the freeze ?
    issues in the sense that i dont like its consistancy.
    i'm looking for a TIM that's a paste, and not a clay.

examples being as5 is a paste, and mx-3 is a clay.
    i dont have any mx-2 at the moment, but im holding out hope that its a paste.

Xtreme Addict
    Guys. I used MX2 for a long time. And I got MX3 last week. My temps dropped by 1 degree.
    Last edited by WaterFlex; 10-26-2009 at 05:28 PM.

Intel Q9650 @500x9MHz/1,3V
    Asus Maximus II Formula @Performance Level=7
    OCZ OCZ2B1200LV4GK 4x2GB @1200MHz/5-5-5-15/1,8V
    OCZ SSD Vertex 3 120Gb
    Seagate RAID0 2x ST1000DM003
    XFX HD7970 3GB @1111MHz
    Thermaltake Xaser VI BWS
    Seasonic Platinum SS-1000XP
    M-Audio Audiophile 192
    LG W2486L
    Liquid Cooling System :
    ThermoChill PA120.3 + Coolgate 4x120
    Swiftech Apogee XT, Swiftech MCW-NBMAX Northbridge
    Watercool HeatKiller GPU-X3 79X0 Ni-Bl + HeatKiller GPU Backplate 79X0
    Laing 12V DDC-1Plus with XSPC Laing DDC Reservoir Top
    3x Scythe S-FLEX "F", 4x Scythe Gentle Typhoon "15", Scythe Kaze Master Ace 5,25''

Apple MacBook Pro 17` Early 2011:
    CPU: Sandy Bridge Intel Core i7 2720QM
    RAM: Crucial 2x4GB DDR3 1333
    SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB SSD
    HDD: ADATA Nobility NH13 1GB White

Xtreme Member
    @Vapor:

You can try Nanoxia Heatbuster TIM.
    Core i7 3930K|EK Supreme HF 2 x PA120.3 1x TFC Feser 240 DDC3.25 XSPC ResTop 3x SUNON Maglev 6xPanaflo FBA12G12H 2xSanAce 9G1212H1011 4xEK-FC R9-290X|RIVE|4XR9 290X|Corsair 4x2GB GTX2|Corsair AX1500i|WD1001FALS + SSDNOW V300|HP LP2475w|Luxeon 5.1WH|Logitech G500|Lian Li A70B

Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by OLDcomer View Post
    @Vapor:

You can try Nanoxia Heatbuster TIM.
    Never heard of it...Googled it and the first result is your post in this thread

Brand new stuff?

EDIT: if you're talking about TF-1000, it's a clone of Coollaboratory Liquid Pro and I won't test it due to its interaction with copper.

Xtreme Addict
    Never heard of it...Googled it and the first result is your post in this thread

Brand new stuff?

EDIT: if you're talking about TF-1000, it's a clone of Coollaboratory Liquid Pro and I won't test it due to its interaction with copper.
    Yes, he is talking about TF-1000...

http://www.nanoxia-europe.com/index....-compound.html

...however, their site says that it is safe for use with Copper but not Aluminium.
    Last edited by dejanh; 10-27-2009 at 12:31 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Here's the stuff:

EDIT:
    The Packing is the Same like the TF1000 the Text on the Backside of the Packing is from the TF1000 Series.

The Heatbuster Compound Paste is an extra designed Paste for universal use. This Paste can be used on

every Material, Copper, Nickel, Aluminium, Gold or Silver.

The Heatbuster is the Leading Thermal compound Paste based on Metall Oxyd Material. The Aluminium-Zinc Oxyd is

mixed with Nano-Aluminium Particle and make it possible the reach that great Performance on 10,4 W/mk.
    Last edited by OLDcomer; 11-17-2009 at 09:10 AM. Reason: New information about Nanoxia Heatbuster TIM
    Core i7 3930K|EK Supreme HF 2 x PA120.3 1x TFC Feser 240 DDC3.25 XSPC ResTop 3x SUNON Maglev 6xPanaflo FBA12G12H 2xSanAce 9G1212H1011 4xEK-FC R9-290X|RIVE|4XR9 290X|Corsair 4x2GB GTX2|Corsair AX1500i|WD1001FALS + SSDNOW V300|HP LP2475w|Luxeon 5.1WH|Logitech G500|Lian Li A70B

Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by dejanh View Post
    Yes, he is talking about TF-1000...

http://www.nanoxia-europe.com/index....-compound.html

...however, their site says that it is safe for use with Copper but not Aluminium.
    It's 'safe' in that it doesn't dissolve copper (it does with aluminum), but it does embed itself into copper, thus permanently changing the block (something I cannot and will not do to my testing equipment).

Here's the stuff:

Interesting that's available for sale somewhere but there's no sign of it via Google (one post on PCGH says it has over a 10w/mK thermal conductivity rating). Google failed!

Anyway, because I'm already at my limit of 6 TIMs and because Heat Buster is basically non-existent via my retail channels, I'm not going to add it to this test.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    If I'm going to do a 7th TIM, it will be TIM Consultants 0098, which AS Matrix is based on. The testing will be to determine performance differences, if any.
    I believe AS Matrix is based on the Matrix II tim from TIM Consultants from what David told me about the tim.

This is the specs listed there.

Quantum Thermal Grease

* Achieves a <1 mil bondline. Ideal for Cu and/or polished heat sinks.
    * Silicone Backbone, Aluminum, Aluminum Oxide, Zinc Oxide filler
    * Performs 44% better than the 0098 / Matrix Formulation
    * Very reliable - will maintain functionality under extreme conditions

source
    http://www.tim-consultants.com/matrix2.html
    Everyday is a NiceDay

Admin
    Maybe they reused the packaging from TF-1000, but Heat Buster just got 10x more interesting if it's a gallium paste! That would solve one of the big deficiencies of TF-1000 (it's nickel/tin-phobic and is really hard to apply/spread on the IHS). I'm genuinely intrigued now...gotta keep my eyes peeled for it here stateside the next month (testing is slated to happen late November and early December).

Quote Originally Posted by Ar3s
    I believe AS Matrix is based on the Matrix II tim from TIM Consultants from what David told me about the tim.

This is the specs listed there.

Quantum Thermal Grease

* Achieves a <1 mil bondline. Ideal for Cu and/or polished heat sinks.
    * Silicone Backbone, Aluminum, Aluminum Oxide, Zinc Oxide filler
    * Performs 44% better than the 0098 / Matrix Formulation
    * Very reliable - will maintain functionality under extreme conditions

source
    http://www.tim-consultants.com/matrix2.html
    Interesting! Is David a TC or AS guy? Anyway, TIM Consultant's stuff his highly vaunted and AS has a grab on the retail market like no one else, so it's great to see them working together

Xtreme Enthusiast
    David is a TC guy.
    Everyday is a NiceDay

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast