Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: BOINC Suspend and Gaming etc

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    Damnit why won't this work!

Trying an older client version.
    Rig specs
    CPU: i7 5960X Mobo: Asus X99 Deluxe RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR4-2400 CAS-15 VGA: 2x eVGA GTX680 Superclock PSU: Corsair AX1200

Foundational Falsehoods of Creationism

Quote Originally Posted by SoulsCollective View Post
    Damnit why won't this work!

Trying an older client version.
    Did you put it in the right folder?
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    Quote Originally Posted by SparkyJJO View Post
    As above:
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] riptide View Post
    Where you put the config file? Does it say its reading the cc_config file? In the messages tab?
    C:\ProgramData\BOINC\cc_config.xml

I didn't have a file originally, so I made one (and yes, it's a .xml file, not .xml.txt)
    Rig specs
    CPU: i7 5960X Mobo: Asus X99 Deluxe RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR4-2400 CAS-15 VGA: 2x eVGA GTX680 Superclock PSU: Corsair AX1200

Hmm... did you restart BOINC after creating the file?
    Sorry if you said you did already, I haven't read the whole thread.

I'm going to give mine a test and see if it works or not.
    *edit* It didn't work until I restarted my PC (restarting the client). Then it worked perfectly.
    Last edited by Sparky; 08-14-2009 at 06:18 PM.
    The Cardboard Master
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    Yeah, again as above, tried restarting the client, tried restarting my machine, tried forcing BOINC to re-read the config file. Even testing with notepad.exe, nothing happens (or rather, stops happening) when I fire up any listed app.
    Rig specs

Just checking.... you did make sure that notepad didn't stick a .txt extension on it when you created it, right?
    The Cardboard Master

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    Just checking.... you did make sure that notepad didn't stick a .txt extension on it when you created it, right?
    Lol, ok, dude, don't mean to be an arse because you're trying to help, but that's answered only two posts above -
    As above:
    Where you put the config file? Does it say its reading the cc_config file? In the messages tab?
    C:\ProgramData\BOINC\cc_config.xml

I didn't have a file originally, so I made one (and yes, it's a .xml file, not .xml.txt)
    Rig specs

Man I'm tired or something, missing all the details and whatnot... So sorry

K I'm going to reread EVERYTHING before asking another question!!

*edit* OK something to try.... Remove everything except for just one (notepad.exe for example). See if it works then.

I was looking at your posted list and am wondering if somehow the spaces in some of the .exe files is throwing it off, perhaps. Maybe try removing those, and/or truncating them to the 8 character/no space version, like for example <exclusive_app>Titanq~1.exe</exclusive_app> instead of <exclusive_app>Titan Quest.exe</exclusive_app>

Also, this line <exclusive_app>hl -console.exe</exclusive_app> looks funny - is that typed correctly? Shouldn't it be just hl.exe without the flag? Just trying to find issues in the file that could be causing trouble.
    Last edited by Sparky; 08-14-2009 at 07:07 PM.
    The Cardboard Master

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    I was looking at your posted list and am wondering if somehow the spaces in some of the .exe files is throwing it off, perhaps. Maybe try removing those, and/or truncating them to the 8 character/no space version, like for example <exclusive_app>Titanq~1.exe</exclusive_app> instead of <exclusive_app>Titan Quest.exe</exclusive_app>
    Nail on the head, good sir. Thanks for the input! The 8-char limit doesn't seem to be a problem, but BOINC definitely doesn't like spaces in executable names.
    Also, this line <exclusive_app>hl -console.exe</exclusive_app> looks funny - is that typed correctly? Shouldn't it be just hl.exe without the flag?
    Nope, that's actually what my game executable is called, even in task manager. It's to do with running mods etc.
    Rig specs

Xtreme Cruncher
    It'd be hl.exe -console, you have the switch in the wrong place. But you don't need the command switch in the exe thing.

Eller

Desktop: Q6600 G0 @ 3.6 Ghz | P5E | 2x2 Gb G.Skill PC8000 | GTX 560 Ti | CM690 | TT TP 750 watt | Win 7 Pro x64 | Water Cooling
    Server: i3 530 (Stock) | CM Vortex Low-Profile | Zotac H55-ITX WIFI | 2x2Gb Corsair 1333Mhz | IGP | VX450 | Server 2008 R2 x64

<cc_config>
    <options>
    <exclusive_app>halo.exe</exclusive_app>
    <exclusive_app>BF2.exe</exclusive_app>
    <exclusive_app>MD5.exe</exclusive_app>
    <report_results_immediately>1</report_results_immediately>
    </options>
    </cc_config>
    This is also a little trick I use also..... this line ensures that after every WU, its reported within a minute. Keeps a big list of 'Ready to Report' WU's from building up.

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    This is also a little trick I use also..... this line ensures that after every WU, its reported within a minute. Keeps a big list of 'Ready to Report' WU's from building up.
    They'd actually prefer you didn't do that - from the BOINC Wiki:
    <report_results_immediately>
    If set, each job will be reported to the project server as soon as it's finished, with an inbuild 60 second delay from completion of result upload. (normally it's deferred for up to a day, so that several jobs can be reported in one request). Using this option increases the load on project servers, and should generally be avoided. It's intended to be used on computer whose disks are reformatted every day.
    Quote Originally Posted by karl_eller View Post
    It'd be hl.exe -console, you have the switch in the wrong place. But you don't need the command switch in the exe thing.

Eller
    Nope and yes respectively -
    Rig specs

They'd actually prefer you didn't do that - from the BOINC Wiki:
    Thats BOINC wiki. Not WCG or any other project wiki. I imagine WCG servers are powerful enough.

Mr. Boardburner
    This is exactly what I was looking for
    Main rig:
    CPU: I7 920C0 @ 3.6Ghz (180*20)
    Mobo: DFI UT X58 T3eH8
    RAM: 12GB OCZ DDR3-1600 Platinum
    GPU/LCD: GeForce GTX280 + GeForce 8600GTS (Quad LCDs)
    Intel X25-M G2 80GB, 12TB storage
    PSU/Case: Corsair AX850, Silverstone TJ07

Xtreme Cruncher
    Great, Thank you for this great post.

SoulsCollective:
    IMHO, Image name != command line name. Task Man -> View -> Select Columns... -> Command Line.
    At least I found it very weird, unless you actually have it named that in a mod directory.
    i5 3570k | Asus Z77-V Dlx | 16Gb 2400 HyperX Pred | ASUS 6950 2Gb DCuII | X-fi Titanium | Samsung SA350
    Corsair AX860i | Hyperx 3k 120Gb,i520 120Gb,320 7200.11,2x2Tb WdB | Corsair H80i | Antec P280 | win7 x64

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oc-Ghost View Post
    SoulsCollective:
    IMHO, Image name != command line name. Task Man -> View -> Select Columns... -> Command Line.
    At least I found it very weird, unless you actually have it named that in a mod directory.

But this is getting silly and off-topic.
    Rig specs

At some point, he or something renamed hl.exe to "hl -console.exe". I imagine this happened during an attempt to enable the developer console which needs to be a command line argument, not a part of the exe name.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

<exclusive_app>.exe</exclusive_app>

doesn't work in 6.10.17
    is this changed?

anyone? i've installed 6.10.19 and same thing...

but when i start the game, BOINC doesn't suspend tasks

which game?
    The Cardboard Master

any

last tried with Dragon Age Origins and NFS Shift

Xtreme Cruncher
    Hmmm I have a problem too unrecognized tag.
    Thats when I try to read the config file.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Copy this format into your file and make lines as you need. Works just fine with 6.10.36

<cc_config>
    <options>
    <exclusive_app>BFBC2Game.exe</exclusive_app>
    </options>
    </cc_config>
    Hmm, I used tabs to indent as I'd seen in the docs for BOINC, but I suspect it'll work without. Or add tabs to re-indent.

don_xvi helps find cures for cancer, AIDS and West Nile, among other research !
    Donald A. Perlick helps find cures for Alzheimer's, cancer, and Parkinson's, among other research !

Xtreme Cruncher
    I followed the directions. 6.2.28 version.

Xtreme Cruncher
    *bump*

<exclusive_app> tag is still showing as unrecognized.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast