Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: BOINC Suspend and Gaming etc

BOINC Suspend and Gaming etc

POSTS PRUNED OUT OF JCOOL's ' True 4x4' Thread

Quote Originally Posted by karl_eller View Post
    Depends on the game, some don't mind too much, while others kick up a huge stink. I usually suspend WCG while I'm gaming, it's only when I forget to suspend it do I find out if the game minds or not

Eller
    karl

Solution to your and everyone elses gaming/suspend issues.

Find cc_config.xml

and put in

Code:
    <cc_config>
      <options>
         <exclusive_app>Speed.exe</exclusive_app>
         <exclusive_app>Crysis.exe</exclusive_app>
         <exclusive_app>FarCry.exe</exclusive_app>
         <exclusive_app>NFSHP2.exe</exclusive_app>
         <exclusive_app>FarCry2.exe</exclusive_app>
         <exclusive_app>Dirms.exe</exclusive_app>
         <exclusive_app>Spybot.exe</exclusive_app>
      </options>
    </cc_config>

If you don't have a cc_config.xml file, simply make one with the above format and drop it into your BOINC directory or put cc_config.xml in the Boinc DATA folder if its Win7/Vista C:\ProgramData\BOINC
    Whatever games you want to suspend BOINC.
    Last edited by [XC] riptide; 08-14-2009 at 05:32 AM.

There we go. This needs to be a better published feature!

<exclusive_app>hl2.exe</exclusive_app>

YES!

This is better for everyone. I never forget to suspend, I never get my framerate reduced by half 45 mins into a game (if I play that long) because I only snoozed, and as soon as I'm done it's back to crunching. No forgetting to resume overnight.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Cruncher
    ^^ Definitely needs to be better published, I always suspend it while playing HL2/L4D, but 75% of the time I forget to resume afterwards... then I end up noticing it a day or more later :-/

Seems like I rejoiced too soon. WCG appears to be blissfully ignoring my list.
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post
    Seems like I rejoiced too soon. WCG appears to be blissfully ignoring my list.
    Really? Blah. Must check myself.

EDIT: Ah HA put cc_config.xml in the Boinc DATA folder if its Win7/Vista

C:\ProgramData\BOINC

and make sure you hit Advanced>read Config file

14/08/2009 00:09:25 Re-read config file
    14/08/2009 00:09:25 log flags: task, file_xfer, sched_ops
    14/08/2009 00:12:26 Re-reading cc_config.xml
    14/08/2009 00:12:26 Re-read config file
    14/08/2009 00:12:26 log flags: task, file_xfer, sched_ops
    14/08/2009 00:12:30 Suspending computation - an exclusive app is running
    14/08/2009 00:13:50 Resuming computation
    14/08/2009 00:14:10 Suspending computation - an exclusive app is running
    It takes about 10 seconds for it to recognise the exclusive app running, and about 10second also to recognise the app closed.
    Last edited by [XC] riptide; 08-13-2009 at 03:17 PM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Ooh that I like! Now I've just gotta edit that for the boat-load of different games I have

The only problem with the cfg is that I have to edit it every time I install a new game.

Eller
    Last edited by karl_eller; 08-13-2009 at 03:59 PM.

Desktop: Q6600 G0 @ 3.6 Ghz | P5E | 2x2 Gb G.Skill PC8000 | GTX 560 Ti | CM690 | TT TP 750 watt | Win 7 Pro x64 | Water Cooling
    Server: i3 530 (Stock) | CM Vortex Low-Profile | Zotac H55-ITX WIFI | 2x2Gb Corsair 1333Mhz | IGP | VX450 | Server 2008 R2 x64

Ooh that I like! Now I've just gotta edit that for the boat-load of different games I have :P

Eller
    Ya. Just remember one thing. Make sure its the actual game.exe that you put in and NOT the launcher.exe. Sometimes some games have a launcher program that fires up for a second and then disapears and then another exe comes up thats the actual game.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Yeah, I launch most of my games through Steam, so I know to find the actual game's .exe.

BTW, just a pointer for the <exclusive_app> thing, it is case sensitive, so medieval2.exe is a different app to Medieval2.exe. Just need to keep an eye on the capitalisation of .exe files when adding them to the exclusive apps list.

Eller

Desktop: Q6600 G0 @ 3.6 Ghz | P5E | 2x2 Gb G.Skill PC8000 | GTX 560 Ti | CM690 | TT TP 750 watt | Win 7 Pro x64 | Water Cooling
    Server: i3 530 (Stock) | CM Vortex Low-Profile | Zotac H55-ITX WIFI | 2x2Gb Corsair 1333Mhz | IGP | VX450 | Server 2008 R2 x64

XS WCG Hamster Herder
    The only one I need in there is;

<exclusive_app>boinc.exe</exclusive_app>

....now that I think about it, I wonder what would happen if you did that....would the computer implode and cause a rift in Einstein's space-time?
    If You ain't Crunching, you ain't Xtreme enough. Go Here
    Help cure CANCER, MS, AIDS, and other diseases.
    ....and don't let your GPU sit there bored...Crunch or Fold on it!!
    Go Here, Or Here

So its working??

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by 123bob View Post
    The only one I need in there is;

<exclusive_app>boinc.exe</exclusive_app>

....now that I think about it, I wonder what would happen if you did that....would the computer implode and cause a rift in Einstein's space-time?
    No but I would pass you in points within 2^8 years.

Hmm, it's still ignoring my list. I waited about 30 seconds and BOINC never yielded.

Rule 1A:

Rule 2:

Rule 2A:

Rule 3:

Xtreme Cruncher
    Hmm, it's still ignoring my list. I waited about 30 seconds and BOINC never yielded.
    Checked that the .exe's have the correct capitalisation? And once you've edited the .cfg, have you gone into BOINC and clicked Advanced > Read config file? It's working for me, from the few games I've tested it out with.

Eller

Checked that the .exe's have the correct capitalisation? And once you've edited the .cfg, have you gone into BOINC and clicked Advanced > Read config file? It's working for me, from the few games I've tested it out with.

Eller
    Yes, I have. It's more likely that I'm doing something wrong than the program, but I just don't see what. I've done the steps precisely.

Rule 1A:

Rule 2:

Rule 2A:

Rule 3:

Yes, I have. It's more likely that I'm doing something wrong than the program, but I just don't see what. I've done the steps precisely.
    What version of BOINC? And what OS?

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    Sticky. Or at least link to in sticky.
    Rig specs
    CPU: i7 5960X Mobo: Asus X99 Deluxe RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR4-2400 CAS-15 VGA: 2x eVGA GTX680 Superclock PSU: Corsair AX1200

Foundational Falsehoods of Creationism

I added it to Sierras 'All you need to know...' sticky.

BOINC & BOINC Manager: 6.2.28.0
    Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise x64

Rule 1A:

Rule 2:

Rule 2A:

Rule 3:

BOINC & BOINC Manager: 6.2.28.0
    Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise x64
    Bingo. Only works on 6.4+

I am Xtreme
    Ok semi related- just installed Boinc on a new machine and forgot to unselect the screen saver( even though it's kind of cool) how do I turn it off? I know from reading it is a unnecessary drain on the system

Quote Originally Posted by CaptMorgan View Post
    Ok semi related- just installed Boinc on a new machine and forgot to unselect the screen saver( even though it's kind of cool) how do I turn it off? I know from reading it is a unnecessary drain on the system
    lol well you could just go into desktop properties and go to screensaver tab and select no screensaver.

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    Doesn't seem to be working for me either.

BOINC manager v6.6.36 x64
    Win7 x64 7100

Tried restarting BOINC manager, tried forcing reading of config file (Advanced -> Read config file).
    Rig specs
    CPU: i7 5960X Mobo: Asus X99 Deluxe RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR4-2400 CAS-15 VGA: 2x eVGA GTX680 Superclock PSU: Corsair AX1200

Foundational Falsehoods of Creationism

Quote Originally Posted by SoulsCollective View Post
    Doesn't seem to be working for me either.

BOINC manager v6.6.36 x64
    Win7 x64 7100

Tried restarting BOINC manager, tried forcing reading of config file (Advanced -> Read config file).
    Where you put the config file? Does it say its reading the cc_config file? In the messages tab?

Back from the Dead
    Awesome info, gonna try this out some time. There are a few games that lag with BOINC running, Company of Heroes and NFS come to mind. But with the rest I don't notice any difference in FPS, just loading times are a bit longer with WCG running.
    World Community Grid - come join a great team and help us fight for a better tomorrow![size=1]

(o.O)
    AWESOME, thanks Riptide. now i can play starcraft & fallout3 without ever having to turn it off
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 Yorkfield @ 3.2GHz | Asus P5Q Deluxe mobo | 2x OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) | Sapphire 4870x2 | Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB 10k RPM | Intel 120GB SSD | Western Digital Caviar SE16 640GB 7200 RPM | Hitachi 2TB 7200 RPM | PCP&C 750W Power Supply |Cooler Master HAF932 | Windows 7 64-bit | Dell ULTRASHARP 2408WFP 24-inch Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor

Join Us in the XS World Community Grid Forum & Help Fight Cancer and Other Diseases

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast