Thread: Watercool HEATKILLER 4870x2 LT

Watercool HEATKILLER 4870x2 LT

Does anyone have any experiences with these block?

http://www.chilledpc.co.uk/shop/prod...oducts_id=1165

It's quite cheap compared to the other 4870x2 blocks out there and i was thinking of getting one.
    Corsair Obsidian 800D
    Q6600 G0 @ 3.6 GHz (450 x 8) 1.44V
    Asus x48 Rampage Formula
    2 x 2GB G.Skill F2-8500@ 1200 MHz
    ATI HD5850 @ 1000/1200 MHz

Xtreme Member
    I had two!
    What would you like to know?

Yes they are cheap compared to others, and well made as far as I'm concerned.
    They are heavy though compared to the Koolance for example, also be careful with your install (easy to make contact/short if not done right) and don't use the in-closed pads (they are crap). Apart from that, great block at a good price

They're just so much cheaper than the other blocks just maknig sure there's no catch that's all.

What stand-offs did you use for your cards?#
    Corsair Obsidian 800D
    Asus x48 Rampage Formula

I just installed one on my 4870x2. It comes two kinds of thermal tape to use with good instructions. Worked right off the bat with zero problems. Unlike that POS xspc one I got two months ago and gave up on after 4 try at installing it, and getting a overheat light. I know the Heatkiller block is a better block. I think they take into account that no two cards are the same and they give a little room for it with the two kinds of thermal tape you use to install it.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by masska View Post
    don't use the in-closed pads (they are crap)
    why not, what's wrong with them? Which ones you could advice instead of stock pads?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jpe4ever View Post
    They're just so much cheaper than the other blocks just maknig sure there's no catch that's all.

What stand-offs did you use for your cards?#
    There's no catch with these blocks,but due to the price its easy to think that.
    Don't forget that the price has come down since launch and I guess there is a new release in the wings.I used the included standoffs and my own plastic spacers. Just be careful not to over-tight everything (like I did) and you'll have no problems. Like I mentioned in my earlier post, these are great blocks with "Lots of Copper"!!! Oh BTW, make sure your install/instructions are in English, I bought mine from Europe and the instructions were in German. No biggy, was able to track English version from the net

Quote Originally Posted by aka_GK View Post
    why not, what's wrong with them? Which ones you could advice instead of stock pads?
    Because I had to reinstall the blocks twice, I found the original pads just fell apart too easily. I used Phobya thermal pads and I've always got some on standby, just in case

Banned
    id like to purchase this block just cant find it in the US in stock..

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyTry? View Post
    id like to purchase this block just cant find it in the US in stock..
    There it is mate:

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/hegp48forati.html

Banned
    i dont like the special edition...i want the black

Xtreme Member
    Not heatkiller, but sure looks nice:

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catal...ducts_id=25999

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    From the same site, black version. Not in stock yet, but shoot them an e-mail and they'll be happy to help you out with ETA etc.
    Rig specs
    CPU: i7 5960X Mobo: Asus X99 Deluxe RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR4-2400 CAS-15 VGA: 2x eVGA GTX680 Superclock PSU: Corsair AX1200

Foundational Falsehoods of Creationism

Xtreme Member
    Well you asked at the right time just fitted one in my rig...

suffice to say it wasn't a smooth process fitting this block in my new system but it worked in the end once i figured out where it was shorting out, i guess EK blocks have the same issues? anyway have a read of my worklog as ive put some pics up of problem places if yours has the same issues

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=172484

ill post some performance results shortly, rigs just leak testing now

i didn't find a problem with the stock pads but some of them were destroyed after 5 remounts! long story short, order a spare set of pads and AS5 for the GPU cores

That said dont count on any support from watercool, i sent them an email 5 days ago with no replies, Sidewinder were back to me in 3hrs no problems though!

+1 for buying from Sidewinder
    Last edited by orig3n; 08-08-2009 at 01:08 AM.

Xtreme Member
    that clear one looks soo good for my 4870x2

what kind of temps are looking at with this block and at what clocks?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Assassin48 View Post
    that clear one looks soo good for my 4870x2

what kind of temps are looking at with this block and at what clocks?
    will know shortly, windows is currently loading up as we speak

heres a couple more studio shots i took before it went in the PC

Last edited by orig3n; 08-08-2009 at 04:18 AM.

I must of got performance-pcs last block.

well i decided to purchase one of these and got a hold of it today. It's literally being a nightmare, the instructions are pretty bad and i had to pull some copy of the internet which looked like there were parts missing or extremely vague.

I managed to mount it in the end and popped it in, alas nothing at all, just loads of lights blinking on the card. I read what some ppl have said about overtightening and i had made sure i was careful in turning the screws. I loosed them to such an extent i thought the waterblock would fall off! It finally posted and for a fraction of a second i was able to see the asus logo, but then blank. Through the lcd poster i could see all the bios checks had being done and that windows had loaded aswell, just my screen remained blank.

After 3 hrs of tinkering i gave up and put my stock cooler back on and ..... same problem. My PC is loading fine, but at the start there's 2 load beeps at POST and again blank, nothing at all this time.

Looks like my card is dead
    Corsair Obsidian 800D
    Asus x48 Rampage Formula

Xtreme Member
    don't assume your card is dead just yet.
    the same thing happened to me on both cards. At first I thought the cards were DOA, however after installing the stock sinks they worked just fine.
    You're right, the instructions are not very clear and from memory I was also missing a couple of parts and had extra of other
    Re-install again with new pads and use standoffs and plastic washers were ever you can to eliminate any chance of a short.Be careful not to overtightened and once finished place your card on a flat surface. Check that the installation is flat and even (between card and block), and that there are no warps or uneven contacts. Also shine a bright torch between and see if there are any parts touching. Due to the weight of the card/block, make sure there is no drag and the card is properly seated in the slot.

good luck
    Quote Originally Posted by jpe4ever View Post
    well i decided to purchase one of these and got a hold of it today. It's literally being a nightmare, the instructions are pretty bad and i had to pull some copy of the internet which looked like there were parts missing or extremely vague.

I managed to mount it in the end and popped it in, alas nothing at all, just loads of lights blinking on the card. I read what some ppl have said about overtightening and i had made sure i was careful in turning the screws. I loosed them to such an extent i thought the waterblock would fall off! It finally posted and for a fraction of a second i was able to see the asus logo, but then blank. Through the lcd poster i could see all the bios checks had being done and that windows had loaded aswell, just my screen remained blank.

After 3 hrs of tinkering i gave up and put my stock cooler back on and ..... same problem. My PC is loading fine, but at the start there's 2 load beeps at POST and again blank, nothing at all this time.

Looks like my card is dead