Thread: Can a vapochill be used as a water chiller?

Xtreme Member

Can a vapochill be used as a water chiller?

We've got a first generation vapochill in the shop right now that the mounting clamshell is basically ruined on. The owner has completely disappeared, so if he doesn't turn up soon, hey, free vapochill

I was wondering if I could use the vapochill to chill the water in my watercooling setup, or whether it's going to be too much load and make the vapochill cry (or break!)

Freezer Racer
    you could try it, just keep a hand on the compressor make sure she doesn't get to hot. hell id try just stickin the head in some circulating water and see how it does.
    If i was an animal Id be a freezer.

I recall a forum member over at Vapochill Support performing this very same modification into a system H2O chiller complete with manifold
    *work-in-progress I think it was*

I'd be more inclinde to set it lose on the AGP card in a duel rig

/edit
    Found the site -

Full Credit to
    creator Tork
    Last edited by H2gO Flasher; 11-26-2003 at 02:15 AM.
    Vapochill PE || QPGE ES@TBA || Asus tba WaterChilled NB || tba WaterChilled || 1G tba || Philips PSC706 ||

Xtreme Relic
    I tried it with a classic vapochill....not enough balls to make a good chiller without extensive mods. It got overwhelmed by the heat too easily. It would make a good DD video card cooler.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson (1939 - 2005)

Xtreme Member
    What happened when you tried? Just didn't do much, or overheatead and blew up in your face? Heh

Xtreme Relic
    Originally posted by Schitzo
    What happened when you tried? Just didn't do much, or overheatead and blew up in your face? Heh
    Just didn't cool well enough
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

XIP - can sit on his hair
    Well... I'd say the answer is actually yes, but you'd have to go about it differently. Remove all the insulation off the suction line and run it like that fer a while... if the suction line ices up (which it should as it gets cold ....or why would they insulate it), then you just need to submerse the head and suction line in your water... so bending without cracking it is required... get a proper bending tool for that, and do it after the unit has been switched off and gotten back to room temp.

Bendy bendy.... dunk. Should give you enough surface area to cool a marginally medium sized res I would've thought...

Xtreme Relic
    That may work. I didn't use the entire suction line, just the head. Probably not enough surface area to do the job. I suppose you could go even further and add a coil of copper to encrease the area.

After all, a Prommi / vapo is just a flash chiller with a shorter suction line and a block shoved where the cap tube would usually enter the evap coil... is it not?

Xtreme Addict
    Originally posted by Marci
    After all, a Prommi / vapo is just a flash chiller with a shorter suction line and a block shoved where the cap tube would usually enter the evap coil... is it not?
    yep i agree if you can give the coolant enough surface area to aid in heat transer it proberly do ok ....a weak chiller but a chiller none the less.

marci great job on the benching and cooler..i havent had any free time at all latley to compliment you on your work... great job as normal

Xtreme Relic
    Yeah...it chilled the water....just not enough...more area would be the way to go, but I think I would use a bigger compressor if I could get one on the cheap. As a matter of fact, I have one still sitting on the back porch

great job on the benching and cooler..i havent had any free time at all latley to compliment you on your work... great job as normal
    U sure u ain't confusin me with Macci again d00d... lol...
    cheers! much appreciated... Next plan is to get the bloo compressor sorted with the baker blocks... got me gas... just need me pipes now!