Thread: CPU market share overview Q209

I am Xtreme

CPU market share overview Q209

In 2Q09, worldwide PC processor unit shipments rose 10.1% from 1Q09 to 2Q09, compared to –10.9% from 4Q08 to 1Q09. Unit shipments declined 7.0% year over year. Market revenue increased 7.9% from 1Q09 to 2Q09, compared to –11% from 4Q08 to 1Q09. Second quarter revenue declined 15.3% compared to the same quarter in 2008. Intel's overall PC processor shipments increased 12.5% from 1Q09 to 2Q09. AMD's overall PC processor shipments increased 1.8% in the same period.

2Q09 Vendor Highlights

In 2Q09, Intel earned 78.9% unit market share, a gain of 1.6%, while AMD earned 20.6%, a loss of 1.6%, and VIA Technologies earned 0.5%.

In 2Q09 by form factor, Intel earned 86.9% share in the mobile PC processor segment, a gain of 2.6%, AMD finished with 12.6%, a loss of 2.4%, and VIA earned 0.5%. In the PC server/workstation processor segment, Intel finished with 89.9% market share, a gain of 0.5% and AMD earned 10.1%, a loss of 0.5%. In the desktop PC processor segment, Intel earned 70.2% and AMD earned 29.4%; share changes were negligible.

http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp;jsessi...d=prUS21959409

I am Xtreme
    Hm, I thought AMD would do better cause of their prices and the general economic crisis situation.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    Hm, I thought AMD would do better cause of their prices and the general economic crisis situation.
    The results for Q3 should be pretty interesting.

AMD will have arguably its most competitive line up on the CPU front across all segments for quite a while, so let's see what that means for them on the business front, coz things will go backward for them on the competitiveness front in Q4(and one would assume this would be reflected in economic performance).

Xtreme Addict
    http://techpulse360.com/2009/08/06/i...-be-vaporware/

Intel reported solid second-quarter sales last month and offered an upbeat outlook for the second half of the year. Wall Street rejoiced this unexpected good news.

But the improving market for computer chips that Intel described could be more smoke than fire.

IDC reported Thursday that much of the improvement in PC chip sales during the period was due to refreshing inventory, not the result of improving demand for personal computers.

For instance, Intel’s shipments of its Atom processor for netbooks rose 34 percent from the first quarter, suggesting vendors had held off purchases and were now restocking their shelves.

“The significant sequential ‘snap-back’ rise in Intel’s overall processor shipments—particularly Atom shipments—while AMD’s overall shipments were about flat, indicate that the PC processor market didn’t recover in 2Q09,” says analyst Shane Rau. “Instead, the market balanced out due to Intel driving Atom processors into (vendors) who manufacture the systems, particularly in China and Taiwan.”

So what does that say about the rest of the year? Clearly with inventories now at more normal levels, the market can’t rely on further restocking. The fortunes of companies such as Intel will now rise and fall on the strength of PC demand itself – something that has been anything but certain this year.
    E7200 @ 3.4 ; 7870 GHz 2 GB
    Intel's atom is a terrible chip.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    Having prices too low has a tendency to "cheapen the brand" in the eyes of the average consumer. When building a system for a customer, I very often recommend AMD chips but rarely will anyone even hear me out when I try to explain how AMD processors are only slightly slower yet far less expensive. You'd be surprised how many of your typical uninformed PC user looks at AMD as if they were a second rate budget chip.

AMD needs to fire their marketing department and bring in some new ideas IMO.

"If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no resource left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government"
    -- Alexander Hamilton

Xtreme Enthusiast
    AMD needs new marketing. These shares do not match up AT ALL with the current level of competition between the two companies. I have bought intel chips in the past couple of years, but I thought they were only a little better, and I'm sure they aren't as good as AMD's chips in many other systems.

AMD needs to get its act together, release the new chips, exploit their ownership of ATI, advertise how advanced their new fab venture is, and hire some NEW MARKETING PEOPLE.

I am Xtreme
    i think if AMD just decided to kill their marketing staff right in the parking lot, it would get such a buzz across the world about how scary they are. it might actually be the best free advertising they could do.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew LB View Post
    Having prices too low has a tendency to "cheapen the brand" in the eyes of the average consumer. When building a system for a customer, I very often recommend AMD chips but rarely will anyone even hear me out when I try to explain how AMD processors are only slightly slower yet far less expensive. You'd be surprised how many of your typical uninformed PC user looks at AMD as if they were a second rate budget chip.

AMD needs to fire their marketing department and bring in some new ideas IMO.
    this sentence failed!
    no marketing will ever explain like that bro

you should tell them there is an alternative that cost a lot less and yet performing 95% on par with Intel counterpart.
    Main Rig:
    Processor & Motherboard:AMD Ryzen5 1400 ' Gigabyte B450M-DS3H
    Random Access Memory Module:Adata XPG DDR4 3000 MHz 2x8GB
    Graphic Card:XFX RX 580 4GB
    Power Supply Unit:FSP AURUM 92+ Series PT-650M
    Storage Unit:Crucial MX 500 240GB SATA III SSD
    Processor Heatsink Fan:AMD Wraith Spire RGB
    Chasis:Thermaltake Level 10GTS Black

Quote Originally Posted by haylui View Post
    this sentence failed!
    no marketing will ever explain like that bro

you should tell them there is an alternative that cost a lot less and yet performing 95% on par with Intel counterpart.
    your also forgetting the IGP intel has a crap igp, its like 90% or desktops use an IGP and some 95%+ in laptops, and in anything for consumer use with the IGP amd is way better intel isnt even on the same lvl or even competition.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Addict
    Taking the discussion away from the AMD vs. Intel party, isn't a 0.5% gain for VIA quite amazing?
    SweClockers.com

CPU: Phenom II X4 955BE
    Clock: 4200MHz 1.4375v
    Memory: Dominator GT 2x2GB 1600MHz 6-6-6-20 1.65v
    Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula
    GPU: HD 5770

Quote Originally Posted by Smartidiot89 View Post
    Taking the discussion away from the AMD vs. Intel party, isn't a 0.5% gain for VIA quite amazing?
    no via maintained 0.5%, they have a rather strong asian presence for their size and they are getting popular in gas stations for the media ads at the pumps
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

I'm surprised it was only 1.6%, given the volume of atom netbooks sold.