Thread: Need Phenom II mobo advice. Asus or Gigabyte and which one? Phenon II 550E ? to quad

Xtreme Addict

Need Phenom II mobo advice. Asus or Gigabyte and which one? Phenon II 550E ? to quad

I made the mistake of coming back to the forum here for a peak, now I have the itch to build something I don't need lol. I used to be pretty hardcore into the OC scene, but the past few years with family and work, it was just too hard to keep up and devote the time/energy to stay current. So I find myself back in the newbie position of needing information on parts

I'm wanting to try a Phenom II 550 and my chances of maybe unlocking to tri or quad core. Going to get my cpu at Newegg unless anyone has some advice there, and thinking of the Asus M4A79T Deluxe or the Gigabyte MA790XT-UD4P.

I appreciate the feedback
    thx
    Last edited by JNav89GT; 08-10-2009 at 05:48 AM.
    it's never fast enough!

Xtreme Addict
    forgot to mention my current main rig is an
    i7 920 @3.9ghz and 6gb of Mushkin DDR3 @1800

I have some other sticks of DDR3, mainly micron and samsung chips I could put 4-8gb in the AMD setup.

I'd probably use this as a 2nd gaming and screw around PC, and decommission my Intel 6600Quad and I also have a Phenom quad I built about 4 mos ago that I never really did much with. Might put a cheap X2 in that and give to my mom as she doesn't need a quad.

Not sure on Video but I might do a nicer video card and either upgrade my i7 which currently has a ATI 4850 in it. Put that 4850 in my new Phenom II along with a matching 4850 that's in my Quad intel now for Crossfire.

thx
    it's never fast enough!

Xtreme Addict
    I would grab the Giga board See no reason to get the Asus today, and the Giga should be cheaper as well if I'm not mistaken..
    Asus Crosshair IV Extreme
    AMD FX-8350
    AMD ref. HD 6950 2Gb x 2
    4x4Gb HyperX T1
    Corsair AX1200
    3 x Alphacool triple, 2 x Alphacool ATXP 6970/50, EK D5 dual top, EK Supreme HF

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by wez View Post
    I would grab the Giga board See no reason to get the Asus today, and the Giga should be cheaper as well if I'm not mistaken..
    thx for the reply. The combo is $15 more for the Asus as it's on special at newegg. Wasn't sure if one offered a compelling reason over the other or not. I don't mind spending the $ if it's warranted. But Asus for me has been hit and miss with AMD. On intel they seem to be the best for me, but AMD it's been great or horrible experiences

Gigabyte conversly has been rather vanilla either way(intel or amd). Not great, but generally consistent. Not as great of overclocks, but not bad either, and in the end, it's not much difference. A few fsb points etc... HTT in this came "maybe". I'm leaning towards the Gigabyte, but the combo deal is "itching" my cheapskate button a bit, as even though it's more $, it does seem like a good deal lol.
    it's never fast enough!

Xtreme Member
    I got the MSI 790FX-GD70 at Frys for 170. Upgraded to the beta bios found on these forums and my 550 had no issues unlocking.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by JNav89GT View Post
    thx for the reply. The combo is $15 more for the Asus as it's on special at newegg. Wasn't sure if one offered a compelling reason over the other or not. I don't mind spending the $ if it's warranted. But Asus for me has been hit and miss with AMD. On intel they seem to be the best for me, but AMD it's been great or horrible experiences

Gigabyte conversly has been rather vanilla either way(intel or amd). Not great, but generally consistent. Not as great of overclocks, but not bad either, and in the end, it's not much difference. A few fsb points etc... HTT in this came "maybe". I'm leaning towards the Gigabyte, but the combo deal is "itching" my cheapskate button a bit, as even though it's more $, it does seem like a good deal lol.
    I have the ddr2 version of the Asus board sitting here next to me. And I was never completely happy with it, voltages was all over the place, and nasty vdrops. Over all I had a very dodgy experience running that board...

I'm now on the giga ma790fxt-ud5p, and directly compared to the Asus its like night and day, although that's with different cpu and ram as well.
    Its smoother to work with, and have given me a lot less brain pain. :P

Btw, have you looked at the Asus crosshair III? Seems like a fun board to play with from what I've seen. Could be a choice I guess
    Asus Crosshair IV Extreme
    AMD FX-8350
    AMD ref. HD 6950 2Gb x 2
    4x4Gb HyperX T1
    Corsair AX1200
    3 x Alphacool triple, 2 x Alphacool ATXP 6970/50, EK D5 dual top, EK Supreme HF

Xtreme Addict
    will look that one up
    thx
    it's never fast enough!

ASUS M4A79T-DELUXE BIOS 0082, 1202, 1303, 1306, 0066, 1406
    unstable after unlock 550be --->b50
    M4A79-DELUXE , crosshair III ......SAME

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by danny2244 View Post
    ASUS M4A79T-DELUXE BIOS 0082, 1202, 1303, 1306, 0066, 1406
    unstable after unlock 550be --->b50
    M4A79-DELUXE , crosshair III ......SAME
    would that cpu be stable on the Gigabyte though?
    it's never fast enough!

i have the gd70 its a way better board than the asus since it has a better bios and i havnt used the gigabyte but if it unlocks and it isnt gigabyte or asus then its probly the best
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Quote Originally Posted by JNav89GT View Post
    would that cpu be stable on the Gigabyte though?
    i have 3 550be
    all can stable unlock on Gigabyte & Asrock
    GA-MA785GT-UD3H
    A780GMH-128M

I would go for the gigabyte too. My X3 is stable@X4 3.6 ghz. Still working to get higher though
    Last edited by Maxxximum; 08-11-2009 at 02:45 AM.
    GA MA790GP-DS4H/PhenomIIX3@X43.75ghz/2xEAH4870TOP/2x2gb OCZ REAPER HPC 1066mhz/XSPC X2O Delta V3/Chill CP-700m/samsungF1 1 TB