Thread: Corsair modular 850w Fan Replacement

Nerdy Powerlifter

Corsair modular 850w Fan Replacement

Yesterday, I knocked my freestanding PSU off my desk (which is powering my rig) and struck the side of my desk.
    Thankfully, everything so far is working..... besides the fan. One fan blade broke off.

Since that already voided my warranty, I cracked it open and replaced it with an antec 140mm tricool fan.

Although the fan is working fine, I'd rather keep that fan for future use due to the fan speed which it has, plus you can't currently buy a 140mm fan antec tricool fan.

What 140mm fan would you guys recommend?
    You must [not] advance.

Current Rig: i7 4790k @ stock (**** TIM!) , Zotac GTX 1080 WC'd 2214mhz core / 5528mhz Mem, Asus z-97 Deluxe

Heatware

Xtreme Addict
    Sharkoon has 140mm fans in 900rpm, 1200rpm and 1500rpm models. The 1200rpm should be sufficient enough. I have all 3 and they are all very good fans ,extremely quiet.

Xtreme Member
    http://www.koolance.com/water-coolin...product_id=718
    I've used this fan to replace a couple of psu fans . It's a two ball bearing fan . So you can mount it blowing up or down . The fan is pretty quiet .
    http://www.jab-tech.com/Yate-Loon-14...2-pr-4032.html
    This yate loon works good too , but it is a sleeve bearing design . Should be mounted to blow down only . Mounting it to blow up leaves the fan rotor hanging from the shaft retaining clip . Not good for long life .
    j
    Gigabyte EP45 UD3P bios F4
    QX9650 C0 L739A778
    4X2 G'Skill 8000 bpq
    under water......clocks to come

Nerdy Powerlifter
    The fan of the psu will face down, so it won't hang.

The psu itself has a temp sensor, so the fan speed will stay low probably 99% of the te, so a higher speed fan is better. The antec tricool has to stay on high just to spin and I can't hear it.

The yate loon should be fine eh? Petra's only has the lower speed model in stock though. Think that'll work?
    You must [not] advance.

Current Rig: i7 4790k @ stock (**** TIM!) , Zotac GTX 1080 WC'd 2214mhz core / 5528mhz Mem, Asus z-97 Deluxe

Heatware

Xtreme Member
    I would go for the yate loon. It should work fine.

Xtreme Member
    If the Antec Tri-Cool uses ball bearings (as most of Antec's case fans do), I'd recommend sticking with that for a PSU replacement fan.

Most sleeve bearing cases fans aren't going to be happy blowing up or down for extended periods of time. This type of operation can (although not always) lead to ticking noises and overheating (due to improper lubrication). Sure you can swap it out every six months or so, but that's a pain for a PSU.

Because of this, I personally stick with FDB or ball bearing fans for vertical (blowing up and down) applications, when possible. It's up to you...

Nerdy Powerlifter
    What's another good ball bearing fan?

The tricool has a speed switch which is annoying to hide. I need to fix the sodering job I did anyways.
    You must [not] advance.

Heatware

Xtreme Member
    yeah look on newegg they have all kinds of great fans there.

Worlds Fastest F5
    The sharkoons have a pretty weak CFM compared to the Tri-cools and are an order of magnitude more flimsy....

I'm sure they will do the job though....

Just my .02 as the same happened to me (lost a blade of a 140mm antec case fan and replaced with highest rpm sharkoon).
    X5670 B1 @175x24=4.2GHz @1.24v LLC on
    Rampage III Extreme Bios 0003
    G.skill Eco @1600 (7-7-7-20 1T) @1.4v
    EVGA GTX 580 1.5GB
    Auzen X-FI Prelude
    Seasonic X-650 PSU
    Intel X25-E SLC RAID 0
    Samsung F3 1TB
    Corsair H70 with dual 1600 rpm fan
    Corsair 800D
    3008WFP A00