Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BigApe's Watercooling Case...

Xtreme Addict

BigApe's Watercooling Case...

Inspired by Mick's awesome design...
    add a splash of VoodooPC's latest Omen case...
    add a dash of TJ07's uber simple case ideas...
    and Monkeyin' around a bit here and there...

voila!

• top 2 bay area... prolly a screen.. maybe move the power button and connectors there?
    • 2x 5.25 bays, upper bay with 2xslot drive slim ODD's (i dont see myself needing so many 5.25" bays...)
    • HDD cage is cooled by downblowing 140mm fan over 6x2.5" HDD spaced at least 10mm apart for cooling...
    • Pump Station... fits dual DDC3.2x sized pumps...
    • HDD cage and Pump station is hidden via removable cover panel.
    • Res mounted on the visible side panel of the HDD cage
    • Upper Radiator Placement: it can fit up t a 140.2 sized radiator, pending size of PSU
    • Lower Radiator Placement: yeppers, you can fit a 140.4 sized rad+Push/Pull Fans sitting on it's side down there...
    • ample space behind MB tray to hide cables
    • ample space hidden by conduit between Bay Risers and MB Tray to hide all cables
    • removable MB tray
    • removable Access Panel at back to access Rad fittings and whatnot... maybe drainport?

well, this is not 100% complete... still working progress.
    and yea, i'm kinda fond of VoodooPC... and the front was a bit boring so i just put it there for now...

it just started by doodling when i had spare time... and as said, inspired by Mick, Charles_h's works... and all the other awesome worklogs over at XS...

i tried to keep my design quite simple and clean...
    • the front/back panels are identical, except the cutouts.
    • the midplates are identical, except for the cutouts.
    • the top and bottom panels are identical, except the cutouts.
    • 4x L Brackets to hold all the panels together...

that way, it is matter of making 6 pieces, then you have the exterior of the case

anywhoo... it's just some doodles... so go tear it appart with your Crits and Comments....

yea, yea, yea, yea... it's very voodoo omen inspired... ha ha ha... ok, i said it...

and as for tubing... i just LOVE the way structred tubing looks when you pass by any refinery... so i wanted to use some form of stiff tubing to give those shapes.
    hence i was bugging Waterlogged a bit about all them questions on structure tubings...

and one more thing... i don't know why Yellow... maybe it was all thems dancin bananas...
    Last edited by kinghong1970; 08-08-2009 at 02:42 PM.
    "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands in times challenge and controversy."
    Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

DIY: Self Clinching Nuts

Canon EOS 7D | Tokina 12-24mm f/4 | Canon EF 24-105 f/4 L | Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS Mk II | Canon EF 35mm f/1.4 L | Canon EF 400mm f/5.6 L | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4-5.6 L

Xtreme Guru
    very cool
    Project Millertime: The Core I5 build

Crunching/folding box on air: AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition; Sapphire Radeon HD 4830; Gigabyte MA78GM-US2H; Lian Li PC-V351; Windows 7 RC

Xtreme Addict
    Great idea

Intel Q9650 @500x9MHz/1,3V
    Asus Maximus II Formula @Performance Level=7
    OCZ OCZ2B1200LV4GK 4x2GB @1200MHz/5-5-5-15/1,8V
    OCZ SSD Vertex 3 120Gb
    Seagate RAID0 2x ST1000DM003
    XFX HD7970 3GB @1111MHz
    Thermaltake Xaser VI BWS
    Seasonic Platinum SS-1000XP
    M-Audio Audiophile 192
    LG W2486L
    Liquid Cooling System :
    ThermoChill PA120.3 + Coolgate 4x120
    Swiftech Apogee XT, Swiftech MCW-NBMAX Northbridge
    Watercool HeatKiller GPU-X3 79X0 Ni-Bl + HeatKiller GPU Backplate 79X0
    Laing 12V DDC-1Plus with XSPC Laing DDC Reservoir Top
    3x Scythe S-FLEX "F", 4x Scythe Gentle Typhoon "15", Scythe Kaze Master Ace 5,25''

Apple MacBook Pro 17` Early 2011:
    CPU: Sandy Bridge Intel Core i7 2720QM
    RAM: Crucial 2x4GB DDR3 1333
    SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB SSD
    HDD: ADATA Nobility NH13 1GB White

Xtreme Guru
    The only thing I am missing is that you have dual pumps, dual res', but only 1 120.4. Is there enough room on the bottom for a second rad?

Crunching/folding box on air: AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition; Sapphire Radeon HD 4830; Gigabyte MA78GM-US2H; Lian Li PC-V351; Windows 7 RC

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by millertime359 View Post
    The only thing I am missing is that you have dual pumps, dual res', but only 1 120.4. Is there enough room on the bottom for a second rad?
    There sure is room on the top =o

Great design you came up with

Xtreme Member
    i dont like the long tube from the pump to the rad its just too long

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Blizzy View Post

With the a 1000 watt PSU and a couple of DVD burners? I would think it would get tight for a MCR220 if it would even fit.

Xtreme Member
    Big case but looking good

Ever though of doing away with the 5 1/4 drive bays all together, using some smart desk mount USB drives instead ?

Xtreme Member
    I love the inka-style design at the bottom.

Put some more King Kong-reference in it and it will be just the dream.
    Fractal Design Array mITX
    LC Worklog: Project Purple Haze
    LianLi V1000
    LC Worklog: Project Crystal Clear
    LianLi A05
    LC Worklog: Project Simplicity

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Blizzy View Post

yea, the PSU rendering up there is a X3 1000w PSU that i have on me... i think i can actually squeeze in a 120.4 up there... for sure a PA 160...

Quote Originally Posted by Assassin48 View Post
    i dont like the long tube from the pump to the rad its just too long
    yea... i'm rethinking this structural tubing thing...

With the a 1000 watt PSU and a couple of DVD burners? I would think it would get tight for a MCR220 if it would even fit.
    i'll try to get a model of a 120.3 rad and put it up there...

Quote Originally Posted by ecat View Post
    Big case but looking good

Ever though of doing away with the 5 1/4 drive bays all together, using some smart desk mount USB drives instead ?
    yea, so by going with slot load ODD, 1 bay can actually house 2 drives... like the voodoo omens...

Quote Originally Posted by Laine View Post
    I love the inka-style design at the bottom.

Put some more King Kong-reference in it and it will be just the dream.
    that's actually voodoopc's logo... i'm taking that out... prolly be solid down there... no need for additional vent...

thanks for all the comments...
    "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands in times challenge and controversy."

Canon EOS 7D | Tokina 12-24mm f/4 | Canon EF 24-105 f/4 L | Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS Mk II | Canon EF 35mm f/1.4 L | Canon EF 400mm f/5.6 L | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4-5.6 L

Xtreme Member
    What program u use?

Never go full retard

...don't forget a drain valve/line... or no for you.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by GregSG View Post
    What program u use?
    it's called Google Sketchup... try it... it's free and it's da bomb!
    easy to work with... just spend an hour or two watching the instructional vids...

Quote Originally Posted by skinnee View Post

...don't forget a drain valve/line... or no for you.
    he he he...

i need to find a better way of getting that tube out the way... maybe i should build a cover for the long run?

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by kinghong1970 View Post
    i'll try to get a model of a 120.3 rad and put it up there...
    So you did measure it out to be enough room. I was looking at and it seemed like there wouldn't be.

Or is that with no drives up top?

edit:

You could always dump the tube down earlier and use black tubing so it will blend in.
    Last edited by millertime359; 08-08-2009 at 07:26 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    oopsie... i meant to say 120.2... lol

yea, i'm thinking that route... drop tube down early and run it under the lower midplate...

maybe even rotate the pump so outlet faces down...

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by kinghong1970 View Post
    oopsie... i meant to say 120.2... lol

yea, i'm thinking that route... drop tube down early and run it under the lower midplate...

maybe even rotate the pump so outlet faces down...
    Keep that up and your not getting your

When you thinking about having it built?

Xtreme Member
    I like the idea of the voodoo pc logo there. But why not change the logo related king kong? Great render!

Xtreme Addict
    ha ha ha... well, i'm still doodling stage...
    once i'm satisfied with it... then i'll start putting in some specs and the nitty gritty details to it...

i think i may go as far as getting some quotes from local machine shops round here...
    in my wildest dreams, only the exterior are going to be sourced and i will try to make the midplates myself with a DIY bending brake.

i've been punching in the numbers in my BOM based on McMaster's raw material quotes...

Kozato, i was putting the logo there only for fun... i cannot use their logo without approval of HP... it's a trademark infringement if i do...

Xtreme Addict
    Ok, made some changes...

removed the voodoo logo at front bottom
    fitted a PA120.2 with appx 50cm clearance from X3 1000W PSU (should be enough)
    still gotta work on the tubing and pump placement...
    also gotta draw up a model of the drainport...

oh, and no more banana yellow... now it's apple red!

oh, and thought the exploded diagram will show the "simplicity" of the chassis... well... sorta...

as always... Crits and Comments are ALWAYS welcomed!

thanks!

Xtreme Guru
    Is there still enough room for the drives?

I would design something for the front though. Looks too bland for me. Something is need to break up all that space. Maybe some custom paint, or a panel or something.

Xtreme Addict
    well, drives where? up there in the top? i don't intend to put drives there... i figure the only drives i'll ever need is 2x Optical Disk Drives that are in slot load form and it's already there...

as for HDD's... there's room for 6x 2.5" HDD's... pretty much limited, eh?

i hear ya about the front being solid wall.. but i wanted to keep it more like a "monolith"... no need for vent holes all over the case...

i figure just a good airflow from top-down and out the back...
    then for main part of the cooling, on the bottom area...
    Last edited by kinghong1970; 08-09-2009 at 10:53 AM.

Xtreme Guru
    OOO, you have the cutout there for the drivebays ...... so I just assumed ........

What is the prupose for the drive bay cutout then? Fan controllers? LCD screen? Banana dispenser?

Xtreme Addict
    yeppers... banan-O-matic!

i am actually thinking of doing smoky glass face with LCD display and something stupidly crazy... but i swear, i saw some cool stuff in italy... i got a trip coming up shortly... so i'll see bout that..
    so it's more a control center...

but the entire build is meant to be smooth and clean... simple and sharp...

oh, i need to vent out on the back of the mb tray... oh well... he he he...

Ω
    very slick looking case, now go make them so I can have one!
    Ω Raven Build Blog

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
    " Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges" - In times of war, the law falls silent.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I can't say I am a big fan of the wasted 5-1/4" bay that only has a power button as the front panel. What was the plan for that bay ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast