Thread: how can i do watercooling

Xtreme Member

how can i do watercooling

hi guys im reall stuck i have a lian li v2010 case with a custom 240mm hole cut on the top with a radiator 240mm grill to hold the fans.
    i really want to do watercolling but im finding it dificult finding all the parts in the uk
    its the Reservoir i know its soposed to go at the HIGHEST point but i cant do this becuse of the rad been at the top i dont really like the tube Reservoirs becuse of a previous problem (leaks) i dont know what to do
    here is the site i have the pic on if it helps

http://mypcrig.com/rig/209/1

thanks to anyone that can help me

Xtreme Enthusiast
    You only really need to have the reservoir at the highest point while you're filling/bleeding the system of air bubbles. Once it's bled and hermetically sealed it doesn't make any difference. Also, in terms of places to buy in the UK, there are a number of good shops. Check out the post in the sticky on here of different stores.

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by eponymous; 08-07-2009 at 02:26 PM.
    [Project] : Altair | A Lian-Li PC-P80, dual loop, all internal build. Written as a tutorial for any newcomers

Hardware
    Core i7 920 D0 | 12GB Corsair Dominator 1600MHz CL8 RAM | 2x EVGA GTX 285 SLI | ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 | ASUS Xonar D2X
    2x Intel X-25M SSD | Corsair HX-1000W | Lian-Li PC-P80 | Dell 3008WFP 30"

Watercooling Gear (Dual Loop)
    Koolance 350AT (CPU Loop) | 2x Koolance VID-NX285 (GPU Loop) | 2x Laing DDC 3.2 / XSPC Acrylic top Rev. 3 | 2x EK Multioption 150 Res Ver. 2 | 2x Thermochill PA 120.3 |
    6x Scythe S-Flex 1200 RPM Fans | 7/16" Primochill Pro Green LRT | 7/16" Primochill Pro Blue LRT | B.P. Silver Shiny 1\2" Barbs | Alphacool Ball Valve / B.P. M-M Rotary fill-port / drain | Bitspower Black Freezer AIX58NS NB/SB (GPU Loop)| Black Freezer MOS AMOSII POM Version (GPU Loop)| Bitspower Black Freezer MOS AMOSIII POM Version (GPU Loop)

I am Xtreme-ly Unemployed
    The reservoir really doesn't have to be at the highest point in the loop--simply put it wherever you can so long as it's above the pump's inlet (as it's supposed to gravity feed to the pump). Just keep in mind that you'll have to do some case tilting and shaking to get all of the air out of that rad on the top of the case (always an issue with horizontal, top-mounted radiators).
    I'm doing science and I'm still alive...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Check out Petra's store as well man, great customer service.
    [Project] : Altair | A Lian-Li PC-P80, dual loop, all internal build. Written as a tutorial for any newcomers

Hardware
    Core i7 920 D0 | 12GB Corsair Dominator 1600MHz CL8 RAM | 2x EVGA GTX 285 SLI | ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 | ASUS Xonar D2X
    2x Intel X-25M SSD | Corsair HX-1000W | Lian-Li PC-P80 | Dell 3008WFP 30"

Watercooling Gear (Dual Loop)
    Koolance 350AT (CPU Loop) | 2x Koolance VID-NX285 (GPU Loop) | 2x Laing DDC 3.2 / XSPC Acrylic top Rev. 3 | 2x EK Multioption 150 Res Ver. 2 | 2x Thermochill PA 120.3 |
    6x Scythe S-Flex 1200 RPM Fans | 7/16" Primochill Pro Green LRT | 7/16" Primochill Pro Blue LRT | B.P. Silver Shiny 1\2" Barbs | Alphacool Ball Valve / B.P. M-M Rotary fill-port / drain | Bitspower Black Freezer AIX58NS NB/SB (GPU Loop)| Black Freezer MOS AMOSII POM Version (GPU Loop)| Bitspower Black Freezer MOS AMOSIII POM Version (GPU Loop)

Xtreme Guru
    My old setup had the res midway in the loop and everything was fine. Really the only thing that was lower than the res was the pump and GPU.

I have heard there are a few shops in the UK, but American shops like Sidewinders, Petra's, and Performance PC do ship over there if you find yourself in a bind.
    Project Millertime: The Core I5 build

Crunching/folding box on air: AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition; Sapphire Radeon HD 4830; Gigabyte MA78GM-US2H; Lian Li PC-V351; Windows 7 RC

Xtreme Member
    ok thanks guys

have you got any idea on what sise rad i will need to cool a q9450@4.0ghz normal 2.66 and a gtx 295 with overclocking with 1 loop
    im only asking becuse i want to upgrade my gpu from a 280 to a 295 but i dont really want to spend more money on a duel loop

thanks againg guys thats a realef on what i can do

Xtreme Addict
    The dead minimum I would go with that CPU/GPU would be an MCR320 or equivalent.
    Asus G73- i7-740QM, Mobility 5870, 6Gb DDR3-1333, OCZ Vertex II 90Gb

Quote Originally Posted by iandh View Post
    The dead minimum I would go with that CPU/GPU would be an MCR320 or equivalent.
    Yeah, depending on the fans that he's using, an MCR320 out to handle it... or, if he wanted to keep absolutely everything internal with minimal modification, he could probably stick an MCR220 up top and a 120 in the front. Coolant flowrate would decrease a tiny bit, but it'd keep things clean and work just about as well.

OP: If you're planning on using very low speed fans (say, 800RPM), then you're going to need more radiator surface area than what's mentioned above.

Xtreme Guru
    MCR320-QP with some Gentle Typhoon 1850 RPM should work nicely.

I had my E8400 with a mild OC and GTX 260 with a decent OC. (I forget the numbers atm, and that comp is down atm) on a MCR220 with temps peaking around 50s. I upgraded to a MCR 320 and saw a drop in 5-10 degrees. The sides of the MCR220 got pretty warm under full load.

Crunching/folding box on air: AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition; Sapphire Radeon HD 4830; Gigabyte MA78GM-US2H; Lian Li PC-V351; Windows 7 RC

Xtreme Member
    so far i was going for this

1L Feser One Fluid
    Swiftech Apogee GTZ CPU Block
    XSPC Laing DDC-Pump 12V Pro(10w)
    TFC Xchanger Double Radiator 240 or 360 (not sure)
    TFC Triebwerk Med Speed 120mmx55mm x2 or 3 depending on rad sise
    2m TFC Blue UV Reactive Tube 1/2" ID - 3/4" OD
    TFC FI-0012 1/2" ID - 3/4" OD Compression Fitting

im going with a t-line for space saving
    do you think its worth water cooling a gpu on a single line or is it best to do a duel
    im not sure what to do as i wont be getting the 295 for a while
    thanks guys your really helping me

Xtreme Guru
    I would drop the Feser 1 and go with distilled with some silver. Feser 1 has had issues gunking up people's blocks.

Seeing this seems to be your first WC'ing project, get a res. If you are worried about space, get a XSPC restop.

I would also step the pump up to the 18w version, such as a Swiftech 355.

HK 3.0 is suppose to be the best CPU block atm, but it also seems a EK Supreme LT works nice too.

Quote Originally Posted by millertime359 View Post
    I would drop the Feser 1 and go with distilled with some silver. Feser 1 has had issues gunking up people's blocks.
    +1

Also, those Feser fans are ridiculous. At $35 per fan (plus shipping), you're looking at enough money in fans alone to buy two MCR320's. I'd suggest the Gentle Typhoons that millertime mentioned, Yate Loon D12SL-12, Yate Loon D12SM-12, Scythe S-Flex SFF21F, Scythe S-Flex SFF21E, Scythe Kama Flex SA1225FDB12M, or Scythe Kama Flex SA1225FDB12H fans. The Zalman ZM-F3's are also quite good and the Scythe 1000 & 2000 RPM Ultra Kaze's are reasonable.

Anyway, water cooling your GPU(s) is most certainly worth it... even if you are using a single loop.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Petra View Post
    Anyway, water cooling your GPU(s) is most certainly worth it... even if you are using a single loop.
    Yes it is. You get to loose that ridiculous turbine of a stock cooler and see a nice healthy drop in temps. Can't go wrong with putting the GPUs on water.

Xtreme Member
    ok thanks guys i will look into the fans and everything else and see ware im going from there