Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: News Corp to charge for all news websites

News Corp to charge for all news websites

If they do that, people will just go over to a new, free news site

Rupert Murdoch's giant media empire - News Corp - is attempting to break the free content, ad funded paradigm that has prevailed on the Internet since its inception by charging for access to all its new websites.
    source

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by r0lfi View Post
    If they do that, people will just go over to a new, free news site

source
    They could, but the quality of the free sites is usually lower... there's a reason I pay for a WSJ online sub, and it's not because of the name .

Xtreme 3D Team
    Anyone else notice the subliminal " Adblock? " message before ads popup on Hexus? Just noticed it when I clicked that link.

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/9769/adblock.jpg
    Last edited by BeepBeep2; 08-06-2009 at 01:30 PM.
    Smile

Nothing against these people, but I'm not about to pay a dime for news. It's really just not that important.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    hmmmm do they actually PAY their own reporters and news sources?
    afaik they just buy news from the usual afp and other sources like every news site...

this is sooooooooooooo going to fail hahahaha
    in a world of google news this is such a joke...

just shows how out of touch with reality those big head honchos are

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post
    Nothing against these people, but I'm not about to pay a dime for news. It's really just not that important.
    i would argue that an understanding of current events is VERY important, and possibly worth paying for (i donate to NPR). but there is no way i will ever pay for anything rupert murdoch calls news!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am an artist (EDM producer/DJ), pls check out mah stuff.

Xtreme Addict
    Yeah, why not pay for a bunch of biased sensationalism?

Basically, they are saying they aren't making as much money as they would like on their site so they are going to start charging their loyal viewers. Don't expect quality to change at all.

Xtreme Addict
    Good luck Ruppie. not.
    Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER View Post
    I am magical.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Rupert Murdoch's soon not that giant anymore media empire - News Corp - is attempting to break the free content, ad funded paradigm that has prevailed on the Internet since its inception by charging for access to all its new websites.
    there, i fixed the headline for ya

Xtreme X.I.P.
    lets make this fun shall we?

i created a poll, what do you think how long it takes for them to realize they just made the biggest mistake in their lifes and are about to sink that ship and do a 180 with squeeling tires and lots of apologies
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=231436

i say 30 days, maybe even less

Quote Originally Posted by 570091D View Post
    i would argue that an understanding of current events is VERY important, and possibly worth paying for (i donate to NPR). but there is no way i will ever pay for anything rupert murdoch calls news!
    I agree that current events are important. That's not what mainstream "news" like this guy is peddling is about anymore, however. Current event news comes in the form of bits and pieces from other sources such as forums, blogs, major news aggregators (some of which will always be free), freebie TV, etc.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Some people refuse to learn from known mistakes. Such people deserve to learn things the hard way.

Xtreme Addict
    Paying for News Corp garbage.. I mean journalism? Not likely.
    E8400 @ 4.0 | ASUS P5Q-E P45 | 4GB Mushkin Redline DDR2-1000 | WD SE16 640GB | HD4870 ASUS Top | Antec 300 | Noctua & Thermalright Cool
    Windows 7 Professional x64

Vista & Seven Tweaks, Tips, and Tutorials: http://www.vistax64.com/

Game's running choppy? See: http://www.tweakguides.com/

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by B.E.E.F. View Post
    Paying for News Corp garbage.. I mean journalism? Not likely.
    Exactly. He's just as bad as the german Axel Springer Verlag...
    Notice any grammar or spelling mistakes? Feel free to correct me! Thanks

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal View Post
    Exactly. He's just as bad as the german Axel Springer Verlag...
    They have a nice headquarters. I wonder when its going up for sale.
    E8400 @ 4.0 | ASUS P5Q-E P45 | 4GB Mushkin Redline DDR2-1000 | WD SE16 640GB | HD4870 ASUS Top | Antec 300 | Noctua & Thermalright Cool
    Windows 7 Professional x64

Vista & Seven Tweaks, Tips, and Tutorials: http://www.vistax64.com/

Game's running choppy? See: http://www.tweakguides.com/

Xtreme Addict
    i can, and already do, read the new york times and newsweek for free.
    so i don't see how this can work.
    i suppose it would only work if every newspaper site colluded together in starting to charge money.
    Last edited by grimREEFER; 08-07-2009 at 10:21 PM.
    DFI P965-S/core 2 quad q6600@3.2ghz/4gb gskill ddr2 @ 800mhz cas 4/xfx gtx 260/ silverstone op650/thermaltake xaser 3 case/razer lachesis

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    hmmmm do they actually PAY their own reporters and news sources?
    afaik they just buy news from the usual afp and other sources like every news site...
    the WSJ has some very interesting articles; and a lot of columnists with good incite. not to mention quality writing, your not really paying for news.
    "fightoffyourdemons"

Xtreme Member
    Paying for the brainwashing...

I think thats a good idea.
    CPU: Q9450 @3.6GHz (lapped) Cooling: Scythe Zipang (lapped)
    RAM: Mushkin (996580) 2x2gb XP2-6400 @5-5-5-15, DDR2-1080 Mobo: Asus Rampage Formula (Bios 0410), tRD=7
    GPU: EVGA GTX 280 @712/1512/2700 PSU: Enermax Modu82+ 625 Optical Drive: LG Electronics GGC-H20L
    HDD:
    1x 160GB Intel X-25M G2, 1x VelociRaptor, 2x Samsung SpinPoint F1 640GB in 2x CM STB-3T4-E3-GP 4-in-3 cages
    Sound: Focusrite Saffire PRO 24 DSP / Grace Design M903 Speakers: M-Audio BX8a Deluxe, Shure SE535, Ultrasone Pro 900 w/ custom cable & dual entry mod, HD 800
    Case: Cooler Master Stacker 832 w/ 7x S-Flex SFF21F fans on 2x Zalman ZM-MFC1 Plus controllers
    Monitor: NEC MultiSync 24WMGX3 OS: Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by B.E.E.F. View Post
    They have a nice headquarters. I wonder when its going up for sale.
    Yeah, I'd like to see them going down the drain.
    Notice any grammar or spelling mistakes? Feel free to correct me! Thanks

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal View Post
    Yeah, I'd like to see them going down the drain.
    i don't see that happening any time soon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/News_Corp

rupert murdoch's conglomerate empire of media companies isn't likely to fail any time soon imo.
    "fightoffyourdemons"

Xtreme Cruncher
    Most of the garbage that is the news now days they should pay us to read it...

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grimREEFER View Post
    i can, and already do, read the new york times and newsweek for free.
    I get my news from english al jazeera on livestation, it's one of the most unbiased and balanced source I know. It also has way more news from Africa and Asia than any western channel.

Xtreme Member
    Rupert Murdoch = Charles Foster Kane

Go watch the movie and you will see how he ends up. Have pity on the poor soul.

Xtreme Addict
    No matter how much we may deny it, all sources of news have some bias tone interjected in their reporting... it's an unavoidable human vise. It's only a matter of what degree that news fits our own bias do we see it as "fair and balanced" or we see it as extremist propaganda.

News sites charging for some or all of their content has been a slow growing trend for a while now, and they seem to be doing well. This story reinforces that trend may continue. But no one should ever worry that there will ever be a shortage of free news sites, as long as man's love to share a story continues.

Xtreme Addict
    sayonara!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast