Thread: Scrolls and use in a casacde

Dothan FTW!

Scrolls and use in a casacde

Been offered the 2nd scroll that was left from the one i bought that sadly come a bit battered. No use to me in auto c really but a cascade i though they'd be amazing.

There single phase and ether 2900 or 34000 BTU, there is some conflict of spec here but im awaiting an LG rep to get back too me.

Would these 2 be useable in cascade other than being heavy as each comp is 30KG each!!! There ment to be R407c in an AC unit but im thinking a different gas could be used anyway as a first due to the displacment.

I Youtube for vids of scrolls and not a lot but nor could i find anyone that has used them in a cascade!
    .:MeltedDuron:.
    Aurora - i5 7600K@4.2GHz- Zotac GTX1070 Mini - 16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3-3000 - Asus Prime Z270M - Fusion ioDrive Duo 1.2TB - 2x512GB Samsung Evo 970 Plus - Seagate FireCuda 2TB - HGST 4TB - Fractal Design Define Mini - Win7 and OSX 10.12
    Lenore - Xeon L5430 - Gigabyte G33M-DS2R - 2x2GB HyperX 6400 - Sapphire Radeon HD5450 - M-Audio Delta 1010 - Adaptec SCSI - 256GB Firestorm SSD - 1TB Samsung F1 - 2U rack mounted - WinXP and OSX 10.6
    Delilah - Pentium E5800 @ 4.2GHZ (VID mod) - Asrock Conroe865PE - Radeon 9800 Pro - 2x512MB GeiL Blue PC3200 - 30GB OCZ Vertex - 160GB Seagate - 2U rack mounted - Win98SE and Win2k
    Jezabel - Athlon XP 2800+ Barton @ 2100 (200*10.5) - ATi FireGL X1 256MB - Asus A7N8X-E Dlx - 2x512MB OCZ EL PC3200 - OG Antec Case - Win98SE and Win2k
    Mysti (WIP) - Pentium II 350MHz - Abit BX6 Rev2 - 4x256MB PC100 SDRAM - ATi Rage Fury Maxx - Diamond Monster 3D Voodoo2 8MB - 20GB IBM DeathStar - Still looking for the right case...

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    Don't scrolls have a fixed compression ratio? Meaning you can't run a stupid low vacuum like with a high cc/rev rotary/reciprocating.

Xtreme Member
    Most scrolls have a bypass that openes at a certain compression ratio (e.g. 1:10)

Xtreme Cruncher
    One more thing, is that many scrolls are very sensitive to oil, so an oil sep is a must IMO
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

Xtreme Enthusiast
    From that raport of 1:10 looks like a perfect compressor for auto-c.

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    Quote Originally Posted by quintus View Post
    From that raport of 1:10 looks like a perfect compressor for auto-c.
    Agreed. 1:10 in a single-stage is going to result in a terrible suction pressure. Autocascade though could do 1:10 with ease. Just use a buffer valve on startup to keep the discharge pressures down and it'll run happy

Freezer Racer
    Standard Thermo -150c autocascade freezers use a nice hearty scroll. Virtis lyophilizers use scrolls in a standard cascade. Scroll compressors grow distraught and quik to anger when you run them in a vacuum. And it has been proven that stress can shorten your life, therefore to insure a happy compressor with a posotive outlook on life, it is imparative to keep the suction in a positive pressure. One way to insure this (Which im sure most of you know) is to add a solenoid that fires into an expansion tank, controlled by a high pressure switch. Add a length of cap tube from the tank to the low side of system. This will not only help to keep the system from running in a vac, it will also help maintain low compression ratios by maintaining a lower high side (especially on start up). Scroll compressors are made for high efficiancy, high capacity. They really freaking move some gas. As for a standard cascade if you set-up the 1st and second stage right you can go for 5 suction and 150 to 175 head with r95 with temps of -85c. I do it all the time and the scroll will be secure in its station in life

john
    If i was an animal Id be a freezer.