Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NVIDIA Launches The World's First Interactive Ray Tracing Engine

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by perkam View Post
    Nvidia's Quadro line is unmatched, but WTH is with the ray tracing images from 1998???

THIS is ray tracing today:
    Perkam
    1998?

The Toyota IQ is from 2008.

None of this stuff is new, the design team I work with has produced stuff like this for quite some time. Though newer computers have seriously sped up the rendering process they still take ages.

If we can speed it up even more and add even more realism, I'm all for it.
    Workstation:
    3960X | 32GB G.Skill 2133 | Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    3*EVGA GTX580 HC2 3GB | 3*Dell U3011
    4*Crucial M4 256GB R0 | 6*3TB WD Green R6
    Areca 1680ix-24 + 4GB | 2*Pioneer BDR-205 | Enermax Plat 1500W
    Internal W/C | PC-P80 | G19 | G700 | G27
    Destop Audio:
    Squeezebox Duet | Beresford TC-7520 Caiman modded | NAD M3 | MA RX8 | HD650 | ATH-ES7
    Man Cave:
    PT-AT5000E | TXP65VT30 | PR-SC5509 | PA-MC5500 | MA GX300*2, GXFX*4, GXC350 | 2*BK Monolith+
    Gaming on the go:
    Alienware M18x
    i7 2920XM | 16GB DDR3 1600
    2*6990 | WLED 1080P
    2*Crucial M4 256GB | BD-RW
    BT 375 | Intel 6300 | 330W PSU

2011 Audi R8 V10 Ibis White ABT Tuned - 600HP

Xtreme Addict
    Try to understand my point m8. If we can't achieve that quality of ray tracing in real time, then we shouldn't be focusing on it until we get there.

In the near future, real time radiosity and character lighting is what will power games towards realism: http://geomerics.com/enlighten-media.htm#gdc08-demo

Then there's the first time we'll see real time global illumination in Cryengine 3 coming 2010: http://www.incrysis.com/index.php?op...sk=view&id=797

Perkam
    I wouldn't take cryengine as example...they could introduce something new of course,but where are the performance??Will be less optimized that the last engine.The evolution of an engine should be like the source have done that time,quality and PERFORMANCE...so good luck
    TRUE Lapped - Intel Core i7 2600k 4,7Ghz - ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 - Nvidia GTX 1080 FE - 16Gb Crucial 2133 Mhz CL9 1,51v - Crucial M4 256Gb - Crucial MX300 1050Gb - Corsair AX850 - Fractal Define R3

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Dainas View Post
    goddamn whats wrong with people on this forum, the second ATI manages to get near parity they own the gpu market by every measure allova sudden.
    When I said "I'm pretty sure", I didn't mean it as "I heard the other day", I meant it as "I'm pretty sure":

Quote Originally Posted by Tomshardware
    Looking at the big picture level, we don't see any sweeping or major performance improvements from this new hardware. Nevertheless, this latest ATI offering makes a very good showing against the Quadro FX 5600, our previous performance champion. Given all of these observations, the pricing on this card ($1,400) makes it a very good deal for the money, even though a lot of money is involved. By way of comparison, the recently released Nvidia Quadro FX 5800 goes for an astounding $3,150, and the FX 5600 at $2,700 isn't exactly cheap either.

That's why we can recommend the ATI FirePro V8700 as an ideal product for demanding all-around graphics professionals, without any doubts or hesitation whatsoever.
    Source.
    Mojo stands for Compute Power!
    No need for powerfull CPUs or GPUs anymore. All you need is Mojo!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Glow9 View Post
    Wait so, that picture is fake right? The ice looks fake. Or am I missing something how does this work?
    The picture is computer generated, if that's what your asking. Basically Ray tracing simulates how light and textures are and work in real life. It's always going to look better than anything you'll see in modern games.

Xtreme Legend
    wow those stones look so real

i dont like the wine glass shot because it's not realistic in sense that there is no way you will have a superclean glass after drinking from it. All the glass is too clean heheh

it looks awesome though

good to see nvidia doing something about this as well.....it can only be good to have them competitive in wake of intel getting into the game now
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Chumbucket843 View Post
    i can post cool ray tracing pictures too. GPU ray tracing has an advantage over linux farms that movies use. this isnt just for real time.
    Something about those rocks just doesn't look right.

Xtreme Guru
    Man, i dream of the day we can play a game with RayTracing

Xtreme Addict
    Wow, both the glass and the stones pictures look so real. But the second one won me over, literally ! Is it obvious ?

Xtreme Cruncher
    How do you get pics like that? Is there a rendering program that does this?

Q9300 [Crunch] / XFX GTX285 [Fold] / EVGA 750i
    Two 250GB 7200 / 4GB XMS2 800 / 1Kw XPS PSU / Freezer Pro 7
    10,797 3DMark Vantage / Scythe 120mm Case fans / Vista U. 64
    PS3 - 700 Work Units and going strong!, XPS 720 H2C Case
    Crunching 24/7 on Q9300....might upgrade to an i7

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GTSRboy View Post
    How do you get pics like that? Is there a rendering program that does this?
    Try this -> http://www.povray.org/

That pebbles is one of the rendered pics in the povray hall of fame -> http://hof.povray.org/ , quote -> "took 4.5 days to render on an Athlon 5600+"

This one is from year 2000 ...

Last edited by bing; 08-05-2009 at 06:07 PM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by randomizer View Post
    Something about those rocks just doesn't look right.
    you do realize some guy did that on his computer. its either the textures or too much ambient occlusion that makes it look fake.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Chumbucket843 View Post
    you do realize some guy did that on his computer. its either the textures or too much ambient occlusion that makes it look fake.
    i think its the shadows under the rocks and the way they are resting on each other, a few look like they would have shifted

Xtreme Addict
    It's definitely something with the shadows or AO.

Xtreme Addict
    Try to understand my point m8. If we can't achieve that quality of ray tracing in real time, then we shouldn't be focusing on it until we get there.
    Yeah, let's stop developing technology just cause it can't work for games yet. The aliens will eventually come and teach us everything There are people who use raytracing for professional non-real time renders man, GPU acceleration would be welcomed with open arms. But really, how do we get raytraced games in the future if we don't focus on it now - magic?

Live Long And Overclock
    Quote Originally Posted by trinibwoy View Post
    There are people who use raytracing for professional non-real time renders man
    Which is my point

There is no purpose to a real time ray tracing renderer that does work of that quality as posted by Nvidia, if non-real time renders look this:

Non-Real time renders are here to stay and you don't need a rocket scientist to tell you that up till the point where real time renders can get to within shooting range of stuff like the image above, real time renderers will be useless.

This is why real time radiosity, character lighting and global illumination are what will be important till then.

Perkam

Xtreme Addict

You realize you can use any tracer to do non-real time as well right? The goal is higher performance, the "real-time" stuff is just marketing hype. The point is to render a frame in minutes instead of hours.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    mhhh idk... even if nvidias raytracing tool/engine doesnt look as good as "propper" raytracing... if it can be done at 60fps... thats still great.
    it still beats non raytraced image quality, and with one or two generations ahead im sure they will look the same as what perkam posted.

its kinda weird though how involved nvidia is getting in actual game development and application development...
    first they got involved in third party engine and game development with the twimtbp programme, then they wrote parts of the code for third party cuda tools to increase the amount of cuda apps avvailable, and now they are writing parts of code for third party game engines and games... i wonder if nvidia will end up writing their own game engine or buy the UT4 engine or something like that...

anyways, if game developers would focus on whats possible with the latest rasterization hardware, then we would be pretty close to some of the images posted here...
    the problem is that almost everybody wants to write a game that can run on all or most of the pcs out there these days... so im rather sceptical about how fast this raytracing engine/tool from nvidia will actually be used... by the time it could take off, there will be larrabee out which supports "propper" raytracing...

its a smart move from nvidia though, if they can get close to the raytracing image quality larrabee can produce, but their tool is partly based on rasterization which every developer is used to, and its easy to code for this engine/tool, then that will steal a lot of dev support away from intel...
    smart move... but yeah, lets see it in action first before we get excited, this might be pure marketing and nvidia might have nothing on their hands besides a nice ppt file

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by bing View Post
    Damn it, now I'm addicted to this

Xtreme Member
    Nvidia's Quadro line is unmatched, but WTH is with the ray tracing images from 1998???

Perkam
    THATS SO FAKE ITS NOT EVEN A REAL PHOTOGRAPH!!!!
    Last edited by Gator!; 08-05-2009 at 10:24 PM.
    CPU: Q6600 @ 3.4ghz Mobo: Gigabyte P35-DS4 CPU Cooler: Tuniq Tower
    GPU: ATI HD4850 700/1070 RAM: 4x1GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-1066 PSU: OCZ GameXStream 600W
    Sound card: X-Fi Fatal1ty HDD: Western Digital Raptor 74gb / 320GB Seagate
    Display: 22" Gateway HD2200 Headset: Audio-Technica AD700

Quote Originally Posted by MaByBoI View Post
    they looked at them and said that they dont accept print off coupons, one asked their manager and i over heard the manager say "no they're probly lying, we dont accept these kinds of coupons"
    Quote Originally Posted by tool_462 View Post
    At which point the proper response is to pretend you are on your cell phone and say "No, it looks like the manager is a major douche, looks like we can't eat tonight...again, sorry son."

Xtreme Addict

[IMG]glasess[/IMG]

Perkam
    I remember this picture from early 2000's. It was my wallpaper for a long time. There is no way that picture is from today (unless I am missing your point).

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by SamHughe View Post
    I remember this picture from early 2000's. It was my wallpaper for a long time. There is no way that picture is from today (unless I am missing your point).
    his point was that the raytracing shots nvidia showed look notably more simple than anything "propper" raytracing can deliver...

and i agree on that, but like i said, it still beats conventional rasterized games we have atm, and it even beats all previews of eye candy games ive seen that will come out soon...

Xtreme Addict
    The nice thing about Ray tracing is that the image quality gets better and better by the time it gets rendered(*). This means, that:

* with lower FPS one can have better graphics,
    * with faster hardware one can have better graphics without sacrificing FPS
    * People can adjust their graphics/FPS ratio themselves.

So, if you have set the FPS limit to 40, it will be constant. The only thing which changes from scene to scene is the graphics accuracy. It can be blurred, it can be without proper reflections and effect etc. Then, get a new CPU and GPU and you can get better graphics with same FPS OR increase FPS at the expense of better graphics.

THere is one downside with RT though; resolution scaling. Going from 320x240 to 640x480 means 4 times the rendering time. Same with 800x600 to 1600x1200. When the resolution "doubles", the amount it takes to render the scene increases by 4 times. Hence there is no way one will be playing with RT at 2560x1600 at least in the next 10 years, I'd say. ...unless the graphics will be sacrificed.

*: This depends on the engine though. It IS possible to make such engine, and some already exist.

Xtreme Addict
    800x600 -> 1600x1200 is a 4x change in resolution not a doubling. But yes the raytracing algorithm is much, much simpler than rasterization. So it's great for scaling across multiple processors and it makes realistic lighting a piece of cake. But there's stuff that rastrization is better/faster at, like casting the first ray into the scene and rendering particle systems. Also there's no MSAA with raytracing, it's all supersampling for yet another huge hit.
    Last edited by trinibwoy; 08-06-2009 at 03:44 AM.

Xtreme Member

Perkam
    the image you show is made in 2006 do . Even do it is quite a stunning image, I still feel it isn’t to hard to see the deferens between what is a real live foto and a image that is rendered (traced) on a computer.

Official site of source image

I think that it will be at least another 5 computer generations before we can start to think about ray tracing in real time. We still need a lot more computer power to even attempt something like that.

Xtreme Addict
    All crap!

Ingame raytracing is much more important.
    DX10 screenshots looked also uber-realistic. We haven't seen a realistic DX10 game yet.
    >i5-3570K
    >Asrock Z77E-ITX Wifi
    >Asus GTX 670 Mini
    >Cooltek Coolcube Black
    >CM Silent Pro M700
    >Crucial M4 128Gb Msata
    >Cooler Master Seidon 120M
    Hell yes its a mini-ITX gaming rig!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast