Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NVIDIA Launches The World's First Interactive Ray Tracing Engine

Xtremely Kool

NVIDIA Launches The World's First Interactive Ray Tracing Engine

SIGGRAPH 2009, NEW ORLEANS—Aug. 4, 2009— NVIDIA, the leader in GPU computing, today introduced the NVIDIA® OptiX™ ray tracing engine, part of a suite of application acceleration engines for software developers. NVIDIA acceleration engines make it easy to incorporate valuable, high-performance capabilities into applications, while simultaneously reducing development time.

NVIDIA application acceleration engines unveiled at Siggraph 2009 include:

* NVIDIA® OptiX™ engine for real-time ray tracing
    * NVIDIA® SceniX™ engine for managing 3D data and scenes
    * NVIDIA® CompleX™ engine for scaling performance across multiple GPUs
    * NVIDIA® PhysX® 64-bit engine for real-time, hyper-realistic physical and environmental effects
    ReadMore

I am Xtreme
    Wonder what kind of performance it has. Certainly interesting.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Mentor

Man they both look good =)
    "Cast off your fear. Look forward. Never stand still, retreat and you will age. Hesitate and you will die. SHOUT! My name is…"
    //James

Xtreme Member
    NVIDIA® - WeStillFailToNameOurProductX™ I think the 1st one looks a bit plastic - the second one is ok.

I am Xtreme
    games wont look real until we get randomization. IRL nothing is perfect, but in games, things (like textures) seem to be perfectly repeated.

Live Long And Overclock
    Nvidia's Quadro line is unmatched, but WTH is with the ray tracing images from 1998???

THIS is ray tracing today:

Perkam

I am Xtreme
    perkman, how long did that take to render?

Looks absolutely stunning.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by perkam View Post
    Nvidia's Quadro line is unmatched, but WTH is with the ray tracing images from 1998???

Perkam
    HOLY!

Xtreme Addict
    so, is this the result of pressure from intel with their larrabee + ray tracing parade, or did nvidia do this on it's own?

perkam, that is f*#%ing awesome!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am an artist (EDM producer/DJ), pls check out mah stuff.

Xtreme Member
    ^
    ^
    You guys act like those generic renders have anything to do with the technology being presented here. This won't find it's use in games for quite some time, not until the software libraries mature and not untill the hardware is up to the task. In the near future (once it's properly implemented) it may be more usefull in 3d rendering applications offering interactive render previews as these don't really need to run at more then a few frames per second and there will be the usual assortment of snazzy demos written for it of course. Still it's a nice step in (IMHO) the right direction.

Perkam: They're talking realtime here. That image took hours to render. Just because the same technique is going to be used, it doesn't automatically mean the same visual quality is going to be achieved. Not for a very, very long time.
    Last edited by sholvaco; 08-05-2009 at 11:14 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Nvidia's Quadro line is unmatched
    I'm pretty sure the FireGL line is now king of performance, ever since they launched products based in the RV7xx architecture.

but WTH is with the ray tracing images from 1998???
    It's what the nVidia hardware can do in real time right now..
    A bit disappointing, if you ask me..
    Mojo stands for Compute Power!
    No need for powerfull CPUs or GPUs anymore. All you need is Mojo!

Live Long And Overclock
    Quote Originally Posted by sholvaco View Post
    They're talking realtime here. That image took hours to render. Just because the same technique is going to be used, it doesn't automatically mean the same visual quality is going to be achieved. Not for a very, very long time.
    Try to understand my point m8. If we can't achieve that quality of ray tracing in real time, then we shouldn't be focusing on it until we get there.

In the near future, real time radiosity and character lighting is what will power games towards realism: http://geomerics.com/enlighten-media.htm#gdc08-demo

Then there's the first time we'll see real time global illumination in Cryengine 3 coming 2010: http://www.incrysis.com/index.php?op...sk=view&id=797

Perkam
    Last edited by perkam; 08-05-2009 at 11:58 AM.

Xtreme Mentor
    Ya cant have enouigh interactive ray-tracing engines in my opinion!

Good job Nvidia...
    Asus Maximus SE X38 / Lapped Q6600 G0 @ 3.8GHz (L726B397 stock VID=1.224) / 7 Ultimate x64 /EVGA GTX 295 C=650 S=1512 M=1188 (Graphics)/ EVGA GTX 280 C=756 S=1512 M=1296 (PhysX)/ G.SKILL 8GB (4 x 2GB) SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) / Gateway FPD2485W (1920 x 1200 res) / Toughpower 1,000-Watt modular PSU / SilverStone TJ-09 BW / (2) 150 GB Raptor's RAID-0 / (1) Western Digital Caviar 750 GB / LG GGC-H20L (CD, DVD, HD-DVD, and BlueRay Drive) / WaterKegIII Xtreme / D-TEK FuZion CPU, EVGA Hydro Copper 16 GPU, and EK NB S-MAX Acetal Waterblocks / Enzotech Forged Copper CNB-S1L (South Bridge heat sink)

I am Xtreme
    Its guite ironic that nv now pushes raytracing. Given the fact that they said not even a year ago, that it's to calculation intensive and only will be used for some effects... now they present a full raytracing engien on there own (thought its not there own, but what they have bought from raysacle)

Xtreme Addict
    Where is Caustic and CausticGL? I thought they had the world's first interactive ray tracing engine.
    Core i7 2600K@4.6Ghz| 16GB G.Skill@2133Mhz 9-11-10-28-38 1.65v| ASUS P8Z77-V PRO | Corsair 750i PSU | ASUS GTX 980 OC | Xonar DSX | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB |A bunch of HDDs and terabytes | Oculus Rift w/ touch | ASUS 24" 144Hz G-sync monitor

Quote Originally Posted by phelan1777 View Post
    Hail fellow warrior albeit a surat Mercenary. I Hail to you from the Clans, Ghost Bear that is (Yes freebirth we still do and shall always view mercenaries with great disdain!) I have long been an honorable warrior of the mighty Warden Clan Ghost Bear the honorable Bekker surname. I salute your tenacity to show your freebirth sibkin their ignorance!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ToTTenTranz View Post
    I'm pretty sure the FireGL line is now king of performance, ever since they launched products based in the RV7xx architecture.
    goddamn whats wrong with people on this forum, the second ATI manages to get near parity they own the gpu market by every measure allova sudden.

King=No question at the top, not trading blows with rival in some choice benchmarks.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dainas View Post
    goddamn whats wrong with people on this forum, the second ATI manages to get near parity they own the gpu market by every measure allova sudden.

King=No question at the top, not trading blows with rival in some choice benchmarks.
    It really is too bad that he's right (at least I think he is, I haven't read any workstation benches in months).

Anyhow, this would not be the first interactive raytracing engine. Quake3 was reproduced using raytracing a long time ago.
    Gaming Box

Ryzen R7 1700X * ASUS PRIME X370-Pro * 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 * XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB * Corsair HX620 * 250GB Crucial BX100 * 1TB Seagate 7200.11

EK Supremacy MX * Swiftech MCR320 * 3x Fractal Venture HP-12 * EK D5 PWM

Xtreme Member
    If we can't achieve that quality of ray tracing in real time, then we shouldn't be focusing on it until we get there.
    You are being just a bit narrow minded here. Even at current levels of visual fidelity ray tracing offers significant advantages in faithfulness and cohesion of represented visual effects. Complicated hack approaches like the ones you mentioned also require significant investments of time, money and talent that not everyone is willing to spring for, nor pay licence for every bit of software tech their engine comprises of. Many of these effects (particularly involving ilumination, surface effects, shadows, behaviour of light in a medium...) that software engineers are stretching themselves in trying to simulate, are inherent to the raycasting/raytracing rendering method and require but the base libraries... and the hardware to push it at acceptable framerates that is yet to materialize. Once it does "happen" though, the least it can do is level the playing field and offer a raise in the most baseline image quality threshold.

Focusing on it? Even if Nvidia is offering support now, do you think everyone is going to suddenly switch over? Not while it means sacrificing either the performance or quality, and not doing so is still ways off. But in the mean time why not at least get the ball rolling? Which is exactly what Nvidia is doing by providing these libraries.

Xtreme Cruncher
    i can post cool ray tracing pictures too. GPU ray tracing has an advantage over linux farms that movies use. this isnt just for real time.

I am Xtreme
    with the increase in polygons, view distance, resolution, and texture sizes. hardware has plenty of things that keep it pushed to its limits.

as nice as raytracing is, i honestly was not impressed with the videos linked by perkamn, given i only saw the youtube one (their download rate was horrible, 1 hour for 180MB). i think lighting effects are doing quite well with a bunch of shortcuts to get the user to believe whats going on. in real life, do you have that many lights moving around?

there are many more things that can be done to games currently (AI and randomizing textures come to mind), and probably alot less stressful on the hardware, that should happen first.

I am Xtreme

http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/9...ses800edit.png

Perkam
    Perkam is right this is not any thing new and there are people in different professions that can provide pics like this (Architect, Engineer, House Designer, to name a few). All you need is the right program to do it. Evermotion comes to mind and has been around for a good while now. That's why I will file this under marketing until a real working demo is presented.
    Last edited by Eastcoasthandle; 08-05-2009 at 01:46 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoasthandle View Post
    Perkam is right this is not any thing new and there are people in different professions that can provide pics like this (Architect, Engineer, House Designer, to name a few). All you need is the right program to do it. Evermotion comes to mind and has been around for a good while now. That's why I will file this under marketing until a real working demo is presented.
    i was using 3D Studio Max while in highschool and could create some really nice things. and im a nub. i used it to design an acrylic computer case, and it came out quite well.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    with the increase in polygons, view distance, resolution, and texture sizes. hardware has plenty of things that keep it pushed to its limits.

as nice as raytracing is, i honestly was not impressed with the videos linked by perkamn, given i only saw the youtube one (their download rate was horrible, 1 hour for 180MB). i think lighting effects are doing quite well with a bunch of shortcuts to get the user to believe whats going on. in real life, do you have that many lights moving around?

there are many more things that can be done to games currently (AI and randomizing textures come to mind), and probably alot less stressful on the hardware, that should happen first.
    What exactly do you mean by "randomizing textures"?

First, you aren't happy with current textures. Then you demand more textures. Next thing you will have to do, is to explain me how are you supposed to create double the amount of textures we got now, and fit them in the VRAM without raising the card's price twofold.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk View Post
    HOLY!
    Wait so, that picture is fake right? The ice looks fake. Or am I missing something how does this work?
    Last edited by Glow9; 08-05-2009 at 02:17 PM.
    i3 2100, MSI H61M-E33. 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws.
    MSI GTX 460 Twin Frozr II. 1TB Caviar Blue.
    Corsair HX 620, CM 690, Win 7 Ultimate 64bit.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast