Thread: OCZ PC4400 problems

Xtreme Mentor

OCZ PC4400 problems

Looking for some input, have a pair of OCZ 4400 512mb motherboard is IC7-G, was looking for some 275+ 1:1 action, unfortunately memory is not stable in windows anything above 240 with bios 2.2. I've tried pretty much every bios setting I can think of, and I've tried every bios from 1.3 to current 2.2, now using bios 1.7 I'm able to get 254 stable. voltage from 2.5-2.9, no difference, Timing by spd and set manually to 3,4,4,8. PSU voltage stable and correct, have tried all mem slots, single and dual channel, no difference.

Memory will make it almost through post @spec settings, but freezes after drive detection. then yields fast continuous beeps, reset yields bios checksum error. At this point it takes a CMOS clear to get back into bios.

So can anyone see anything obvious I'm missing? I haven't even bothered with memtest as i cannot even come close to mem specs. it is NOT a cpu issue as the 2.4C will run 300.

I've probably missed some obvious facts, please feel free to post anything you feel pertinent.

Xtreme Mentor
    I think the RAMs have a fabrication problem. Its not normal to be unstable at stock. I think you should look for RMA

XS - Extra Strong
    Skate, you're forgetting that the stock speed for the rams is 275mhz FSB, which isn't always a walk in the park.

Try upping your vagp karnivore. Its possible the ram is borked, have you tried running any other ram at 275mhz 1:1?
    -Phenom2 x6 1055 @stock
    -8gb ddr3
    -Gigabyte UD3
    -Geforce 7900Gt 755/1863 1.562v vgpu
    -OCZ Powersupply 600w

Xtreme Mentor
    but OCZ sell it to run it stable! so its not normal to be unstable.

Xtreme Mentor
    Originally posted by lalPOOO
    Skate, you're forgetting that the stock speed for the rams is 275mhz FSB, which isn't always a walk in the park.

Try upping your vagp karnivore. Its possible the ram is borked, have you tried running any other ram at 275mhz 1:1?

Nope 25x is highest this board has been 1:1, board has been run stable 310fsb @5:4. I've already tried upping Vagp, made no difference at all.

I'm leaning towards my board simply dislikes this memory, I doubt very much it is the memory, and honestly gut instinct is the board is good for 1:1 above 275.

I'm just hoping for something I've overlooked, Its difficult for me to try the memory on another machine atm, but lacking any enlightenment that may be my only choice.

Thanks for the replies though.

Xtreme Mentor
    Originally posted by skate2snow
    but OCZ sell it to run it stable! so its not normal to be unstable.

Skate, no obviously it isn't normal, the problem is figuring out why. I find it quite strange that a bios change can result in stability loss of over 15mhz, when we are still well below specs. that fact alone kinda makes me think that this board, and the memory just doesn't like each other much.

Xtreme Addict
    Karnivore,

I have Pmed you , Will get you taken care of
    Last edited by ryanpgroovy; 03-06-2004 at 08:40 PM.
    OCZ employee and proud of it.
    If you have actually personaly experienced a problem with a OCZ product that was not solved quickly by our wonderful support staff I would like to know. Feel free to PM
    Thanks

I am overclocked!

"Posted on Mar 30, 2005 at 1:35 AM by StormGod
    In soviet Russia memory overvolts you! "

Xtreme Mentor
    Originally posted by ryanpgroovy
    Karnivore,

I have Pmed you , Will get you taken care of

Thanks Ryan, I had no doubts it would get taken care of. I'm just trying to exhaust all alternatives as I have my doubts they are defective.

Xtreme Addict
    They may not be , but we can always help try to figure it out :-)
    OCZ employee and proud of it.
    If you have actually personaly experienced a problem with a OCZ product that was not solved quickly by our wonderful support staff I would like to know. Feel free to PM
    Thanks

I am overclocked!

"Posted on Mar 30, 2005 at 1:35 AM by StormGod
    In soviet Russia memory overvolts you! "

Xtreme Enthusiast
    <~ Blow's into horn [do do da do da do]

Ryan P to the rescue!!!

BTW these pc4400 look nice. I would love to try some out, but no cash right now.
    | MSI K8N Diamond Plus | WaterCooled A64X2 4200+ | 2x1024 PC4000 EB Plat | 2x BFG 7800GT | Maxtor DMax 10 SATA 250gb 16mb cache & 200gb 8 mb cache| OCZ 700watt GamerXtreme PSU | Plextor 716SA DL DVDRW

HeatWare

Xtreme Legend
    Acutally it's going to be Liquid3D to the rescue because it's my responsibility. I sent Karnivore this memory, which did 280FSB on both my Asus P4C800E-Deluxe, and Abit AI7. I've had the Abit IC7 and ran about five different pairs of OCZ memory on the board and never had a problem with attaining 280FSB even with 4200, infact the early problems weren't running at 1:1 they were running Dividers, and I experienced that with both Corsair, and OCZ before BIOS revisions came out. BUT I never ran this particluar memory on the IC7 so I had no idea it wouldn't jive. But it styill may be something were mising, if not I'm shipping Karnivore another pair on Monday.

What I think is admirable is that Ryan takes the time to scan these forums, and cares enough about his customers to offer such help. Honestly I don't know of another company on the planet that does this.

I've suggested every memory option, including, VDIMM, NB/Boot Strap, Disable CPC, Game Accelerator on Auto (although I thought only 865 boards had this feature), run the memory on SPD, and even asked him to remove the Vmod thinking it might be causing troubles, but to no avail.

So Ryan, although you want to help, this is my responsibility not OCZ's. Although I really must give you credit for offering to help so fast! I had to ship Karnivore wire fan clips today I'd forgot to send with a SLK-948-U I sent him, I only wish I'd mailed the other kit with them today, dagnabbit.

But lets not give up yet fellar's please! Any other suggestions would be helpful as I just tested the memory on two boards prior to giving it to him? Plus it save me on shipping again hehe..Here's the screenie;
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ocz4400fsb280bw6486temp2c.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	9835  
    Last edited by Liquid3D; 03-07-2004 at 12:41 AM.
    Q6600 (8x401FSB 1.28Vcore)
    2x FX-74
    Gigabyte P35C-DS3R
    Asus L1N64-SLI
    Corsair DDR3-1800 2GB
    Geil DDR2-800 4x1GB
    BFG 8800Ultra
    Leadtek 7950GX2 DD GX2
    Tuniq 1200W
    NZXT 1200W
    Storm WB 775
    2x Swiftech Microdrive Socket-L