Thread: Lian-Li V2120 radiator setup

Lian-Li V2120 radiator setup

I am moving my gear from its current case (an old Lian-li OEM mid-tower) to a V2120 to get some breathing room and get ready for SandyBridge 2011 when it shows up... I like Lian-Li cases, and I wanted to have a full-tower and a mid-size tower with matching styles - V1110 + V2120.

No change in the electronic setup for this round (EVGA X58 SLI, 2xGTX480), moving from my current external 4x120 (Swiftech MCR) to a 3x120 MCR plus a 2x140 (HWLabs SR-1).

The MCR 360 is on the top side of the case, no installation problem (though mounting a case top rad is quite a pain when you don't have nimble fingers!).

The front side 280 is a different story. After removing the front disk cage, you need to remove its base which is riveted to gain some vertical space (no big deal). The problem is fan spacing: 20mm between fans on the SR-1, but 16-17mm on the case. Given the tool-less fan attachment in the front of the case, drilling new holes is not a practical option (at least not at my dexterity level). My current choices are either to replace the SR-1 with an EK 2x140 rad (16mm fan spacing), or to install the SR-1 free-standing in the disk cage area (not very good for cooling, and rather ugly). The slightly lower performance of the EK rad is not a big deal for me, since I'm anyway gaining in total cooling capacity.

Any feedback and/or alternative solutions from V2120 users? Especially, does the EK fan spacing really match the V2120 fan spacing?

Xtreme Guru
    Isn't it simpler to cut out a bit longer fan mounting holes for rad with different fan spacing? Many mod case much more then that by cutting out big areas to fit big rads, drilling out a bit longer fan mounting holes shouldn't be too hard imho.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    i faced a similar problem on my LiLi X2000 i mounted a 560 SR1 to the front and a 280 to the rear.
    the lian li case fan spacing does suck that its not more compatible with rads, but i think they may address that soon.

the way i got around it was to mount the rad to the case, and have the fans on the outside in push.
    then from the inside of the case i bolted the bottom section of the rear 280 rad to the existing 140mm case fan mount and the top section is basically loose. i dremeled a hole into the case for it.

the front 560 i lined it up with the "3rd" fan holes from the top and bolted there, that was more than enough, but i driled 2 holes at the top of the 2nd fan mount and bolted it there also, so 6 bolts total. is plenty, have a look at pics in sig link for a better explanation.
    but it is easy to work around

edit:
    X2k
    The comments above are in no way endorsed by the management, the poster or any sane, rational, intelligent entity. Any complaints or offence arising from said comments can please refer to Avatar <