Thread: Exhaust air through psu?!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Hello! I have a dilemma I'm trying to fit two XSPC RX120.4 rads in my custom made chassis. And I'm thinking of blowing exhaust air through the PSU.

So my question. Will this work or will the psu run hot?

And also how hot is the exhaust air usually from a radiator? The 120.4 will probably cool 1 or 2 high end gpus with fans running at 500-1450rpm (GT's)

Here are some pictures on how it probably will be.

Also this is a little preview of my build. If anyone got some input it would be great. It looks very much like Micks case design. It was going to be much more different but as I went along I decided to change much stuff. I was going to have a door and the rad in the front. But after a while I changed and soon it looked almost exactly like Micks. So you could say it is a simple version of Micks design that I can build at my fathers firm. And I have removed the stuff I don't like/need from Micks design. His design is for everyone, its general. I'm making a chassis for just my needs.

I'm not done yet with the sketches, there will be a 200mm fan in the front and the space between the hdds and the 5,25 will have ssd slots. I will also make a radholder and a built-in shroud in the top compartment at least.

over and out
    Last edited by Brodholm; 08-01-2009 at 07:20 PM.

Xtreme Guru
    It will be fine. My crunching rig has the hot CPU air blowing directly into the PSU and everything fine.
    Project Millertime: The Core I5 build

Crunching/folding box on air: AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition; Sapphire Radeon HD 4830; Gigabyte MA78GM-US2H; Lian Li PC-V351; Windows 7 RC

No problem at all.

Xtreme Addict
    Owing to basic thermodynamics, the exhaust air will never be hotter than than the coolant temperature (which shouldn't be particular warm), so you should be just fine. The PSU's fan might ramp up slightly earlier than normal, but that should be the worst of it, as long as you're using a good power supply that rated for its output at 40-50 degrees C.
    i7 2600K | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | GTX Titan | Corsair DDR3-2133

Xtreme Addict
    Brodholm, bro, lemme ask you... what are you cooling that requires so much rad space?
    "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands in times challenge and controversy."
    Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

DIY: Self Clinching Nuts

Canon EOS 7D | Tokina 12-24mm f/4 | Canon EF 24-105 f/4 L | Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS Mk II | Canon EF 35mm f/1.4 L | Canon EF 400mm f/5.6 L | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4-5.6 L

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by MpG View Post
    Owing to basic thermodynamics, the exhaust air will never be hotter than than the coolant temperature (which shouldn't be particular warm), so you should be just fine. The PSU's fan might ramp up slightly earlier than normal, but that should be the worst of it, as long as you're using a good power supply that rated for its output at 40-50 degrees C.
    Im going to be using a Zalman ultra quiet 850w psu. http://www.anandtech.com/casecooling...spx?i=3343&p=8

hoping it can handle 2 high end gpus and a core i7. Else I have to get the corsair 1000w. I allready have the 850w zalman so I hope it will work.

The main reason I will be using it is because its so quiet. I mean REALLY quiet. And the rad-fan will also help pushing air trough the PSU. Although the air will be hotter.

Quote Originally Posted by kinghong1970 View Post
    Brodholm, bro, lemme ask you... what are you cooling that requires so much rad space?
    I know its overkill. But I want to be able to run fans at very low speeds and still be able to have a cool rig. I'm thinking 500 or lower if possible. And if temps still are good I will have the aquaer programmed so it will shut-down some of the fans in the rad. Lets say only one or two fans. And when temps increase it will turn on the other fans.

So I want quiet and performance. That's kinda hard to get. Thats why I'm going with this much rads. I know a 120.3 with high speed fans would cool my system just fine.

The system is not bought yet. But I'm thining a Core i7, one or two high end gpus (new nvidia or ati series). A intel 80gb SSD for OS and 2-3 regular hdds.

As far as LC gear it will be 2 loops gpu/cpu ofc.
    XSPC RX rads, heatkiller, and FC-blocks for the gpus, two ddc355 controlled via aquaeros and EK rev2 tops.
    ____

On a different note, what do you guys think of this picture. Is the quality enough for a worklog? Or do I need some change something? I'm really not that good at cameras. I'm still learning by doing

I used the following "settings":
    Camera: Nikon D200 with UV filter (should I remove that?)
    Lens: AF-S NIKKOR 18-70mm 1:3.5-4.5G ED
    F-stop: f/8
    Exposure time: 1/13 sec
    ISO speed: ISO-100
    Focal length: 50mm
    Flash: No flash
    Light: 1000w lamp (an old one...)

If someone have any input on the settings I would appreciate it

Xtreme Guru
    photo looks good to me, but what do I know, I'm a point and shoot guy

Crunching/folding box on air: AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition; Sapphire Radeon HD 4830; Gigabyte MA78GM-US2H; Lian Li PC-V351; Windows 7 RC

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodholm View Post
    On a different note, what do you guys think of this picture. Is the quality enough for a worklog? Or do I need some change something? I'm really not that good at cameras. I'm still learning by doing
    <cough>Look at Naekuh's builds</cough>

I am Xtreme
    the zalmans are uber good

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by faster3200 View Post
    <cough>Look at Naekuh's builds</cough>
    Well, I haven't looked that much at the worklogs. I know the quality is "good enough" but I just want to know if I can improve it more. I used the wrong words to describe it. But what? Is naekuh's pictures bad or good?

I know sniipe does REALLY good pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Hondacity View Post
    the zalmans are uber good
    Yeah, I know. I just hope it can handle two high end gpus

From what I can tell its not SLI certified...

Xtreme Member
    We have very similar designs for the bottom, What I do though was turn the PSU intake fan on the outside of the case. Its just an Idea but I'm sure the way you have it now won't be a problem.

EVGA 780i - 07 [ FSB:1.4v SPP:1.50v MCP:1.6v SPP<>MCP:1.3v ]
    Q6600 G0 L747A [ 400x9:3.6ghz @ 1.38v ]
    xFx GTX260 216 Black Edition [ GPU:740Mhz Shader:1515 Ram:1215Mhz ]
    6 GB OCZ Reaper DDR2-800 4-4-4-15 [ 990Mhz ]

Tokara IV - Watercooled Wood case work log

I'd much rather have the psu take the air from the rad...you'll have better air flow for both.

Should be fine, as long as your PSU has good cooling

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Just the other day I had an idea. I'm going to sleeve the psu AND if it breaks all the sleeving will be in vain. So I thought of sleeving extenders or something so I just plug the psu to the extenders. Kinda like pre-installed cables. But I cant seem to find molex and stuff. But what do you think?

I'm kinda afraid that my zalman will not be able to handle 2 high end gpus. And its not SLI certified

Xtreme Guru
    The SLI certification doesn't mean alot as I am aware of. Just because they didn't send it out to Nvidia to get certified, doesn't mean it won't handle your load.

If you are really worried, use the calculator.

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

edit: I just looked, 2 GTX 295s and a Core I7 920 stock clock draw about 520 watts. You will probably be ok with that PSU. If you want to play it safe, put that PSU up and get a 1000 watt unit.

Also for your cables, just sleeve them. If you really want extenders, then you can always make your own. You can go to the DIY section of PPC and find all the wire, connectors, crimp tools, and plugs you need.
    Last edited by millertime359; 08-02-2009 at 04:46 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by millertime359 View Post
    The SLI certification doesn't mean alot as I am aware of. Just because they didn't send it out to Nvidia to get certified, doesn't mean it won't handle your load.

If you are really worried, use the calculator.

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

edit: I just looked, 2 GTX 295s and a Core I7 920 stock clock draw about 520 watts. You will probably be ok with that PSU. If you want to play it safe, put that PSU up and get a 1000 watt unit.

Also for your cables, just sleeve them. If you really want extenders, then you can always make your own. You can go to the DIY section of PPC and find all the wire, connectors, crimp tools, and plugs you need.
    I'm thinking of getting a 1000w corsair but I'm not sure. It adds a lot of extra money. It is the 12v rails I'm worried about. I know the zalman isn't the best when it comes to the 12v rails. Like 18-20 each or so.

Edit: forgot to say thanks... So thank you

Xtreme Guru
    Well you are going a little overkill on the rads and you are worried about. I would just get it and not worry. You start OC'ing and it will up the draw on the PSU too. It should work, but you might get close to testing the limits if you get into some heavy OC'ing.