Thread: Worth switching to a Corsair HX 750W PSU when upgrading?

Xtreme Guru

Worth switching to a Corsair HX 750W PSU when upgrading?

OK, I'm asking for your opinion. I plan on upgrading soon and will be running:

i7-920 / X58 or i7-860 / P55 (that I'll try to OC to like 4.0 ~ 4.2GHz)
    3x2GB or 2x2GB DDR3-1600 CL7
    GTX 260 SP216 55nm @ 734/1512/1188 MHz (for now, upgrading to a refresh of GT300 or RV870 in the future)
    6x SATA HDDs & 1x USB HDD

I currently got a modular Thermaltake ToughPower 750W which I've been very happy with. Bought it for 117 EUR when I upgraded to Intel for the first time to a E6750 in August 2007 which was a heck of a deal back then. However like a half year ago a fuse went off for the room where the comp was with a big bang (cheap student appartments ftl) and this killed one of my RAM sticks, however everything else seemed intact. I'm still a bit worried that it affected my TT PSU as well though because my CellShock RAM sticks have been dying prematurely left and right recently (Although Gigabyte P35 seems to have this feature) but recently also one kit died on my Abit IP35 Pro board. So I'm starting to suspect the PSU could possibly also be slightly damaged from the short-circuit in the room. I also sometimes hear a faint electrical buzzing noise when flicking off the PSU switch. The RAM sticks never failed when comp was running but when starting up the comp they wouldn't simply post.

That being said I can see Corsair HX 750W PSU being sold for only 116 EUR in Germany where I plan to make my order from, which seems like a steal for a PSU of this caliber. I orginally planned keeping the TT PSU for a long time, probably 1-2 more years if possible but now I'm a bit unsure in case it's the PSU that's killing my RAMs. Do you think it would be worth it switching to a HX 750W? Do those PSUs have any common problems of some sort or? I don't like electrical buzzing noises etc and my TT PSU has been completely silent, even the 140mm fan is ultra silent. I see especially the single strong 12v rail as a bonus for the Corsair HX over my TT, could possibly be helpful when trying to aim for those 4.0 ~ 4.2GHz overclocks.

EDIT: There's still the possibility that the ram dying is completely Gigabyte DS4 fault tho cuz the kit that died on the Abit IP35 Pro had previously been used on the DS4 board. And if I didn't get a new PSU and the DDR3 ram dies quickly I know for certain and DDR3's gotten cheap already...
    Last edited by RPGWiZaRD; 09-05-2009 at 10:16 AM.
    Intel? Core i5-4670K @ 4.3 GHz | ASRock Extreme6 Z87 | G.Skill Sniper 2x8GB @ DDR4-1866 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 970 OC Windforce 3x | Super Flower Titanium 1000W | ViewSonic VX2268wm 120Hz LCD | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | Logitech MX-518 | Win 7 x64 Professional | Samsung 850 EVO & 840 Pro SSDs

If all people would share opinions in an objective manner, the world would be a friendlier place

Xtreme Addict
    If you can grab it for a good price then I don't see why not? The new HX line from Corsair is consider as one of the most top notch PSU available on the market as it offers better efficiency than the TX line. Speaking of buzzing noise, I haven't seen any with all my Corsair PSU so far so you should go for it.

CPU: Core i7-2600K@4.8Ghz Mobo: Asus Sabertooth P67 Case: Corsair 700D w/ 800D window
    CPU Cooler:
    Corsair H70 w/ 2 GTs AP-15 GPU: 2xGigabyte GTX 670 WindForce OC SLI
    RAM: 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws PSU: Corsair AX850W Sound card: Asus Xonar DX + Fiio E9
    HDD:
    Crucial M4 128GB + 4TB HDD Display: 3x30" Dell UltraSharp 3007WFP-HC
    Speakers: Logitech Z-5500 Headphone: Sennheiser HD650

Xtreme Guru
    Yes I read the review by Johnnuguru on the HX850. Seems like efficiency and both ripple are top notch and even further improved than TX series, that only a very few comes close/matches them and I also checked the Thermaltake ToughPower TX review on the site which is an updated/improved PSU from the normal ToughPower series that I have. The TT TX PSU wasn't particularly impressive but is quite good in efficiency (but got lots of ripple, got a score of 6.5 vs HX850 that got 9.5).

Yea I will prolly get it if I can get it for such price. I've read that the fan quite often starts making extra noises tho but yea that's not a big deal.
    Last edited by RPGWiZaRD; 09-07-2009 at 04:56 AM.
    Intel? Core i5-4670K @ 4.3 GHz | ASRock Extreme6 Z87 | G.Skill Sniper 2x8GB @ DDR4-1866 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 970 OC Windforce 3x | Super Flower Titanium 1000W | ViewSonic VX2268wm 120Hz LCD | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | Logitech MX-518 | Win 7 x64 Professional | Samsung 850 EVO & 840 Pro SSDs

If all people would share opinions in an objective manner, the world would be a friendlier place