Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TPB now blocked in the Netherlands

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by azraeel101 View Post
    just fyi it's not "downloading", it's plain stealing (like shoplifting)
    You may believe that.

quick let's legalize child :banana::banana::banana::banana: so that forums user HotGore can stop feeling the evils of censorship!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man
    Obsolescence be thy name

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai Robinson View Post
    Theres a reason proxies exist...

Use foxyproxy for that domain only...
    yeah, but it makes you double post

Belgium's #1 Hardware Review Site and OC-Team!

Xtreme Member
    yes

just fyi it's not "downloading", it's plain stealing (like shoplifting)

quick let's legalize child :banana::banana::banana::banana: so that forums user HotGore can stop feeling the evils of censorship!
    Someone seem to have been bought of the lobby organizations.

...""

pirated download is not equal to lost "sale", be it seeing a movie or buying a game or a song. If anything, it is free advertisement for said content.

There are tons of ways going around that block, and there are other trackers anyway.

Keep fighting the windmills I say!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eson View Post
    Someone seem to have been bought of the lobby organizations.

...""
    haha this reminds me of when me and some goons were trolling a sarah palin forum and some conservative blogs and freep found our SA thread where we were planning the invasion and they were like "they're paid by George Soros! and ACORN!! to discredit sarah!" lol

*not that I'm trolling here, it would be too easy

I'm just a PC gamer saddened by the state PC gaming was brought to because of piracy. You know, if people illegally download Lil Wayne albums he can still make millions by giving concerts but what can software/game developers do when idiots pirate and enjoy their work, can they go and code live in front of an audience?
    One of my favorite games is Titan Quest and I'll never get to enjoy TQ2 because Iron Lore was brought to bankruptcy by piracy. That's enough of a reason for me to hate any retard who thinks he's entitled to use someone else's work for free.

Xtreme Addict
    I'm just a PC gamer saddened by the state PC gaming was brought to because of piracy. You know, if people illegally download Lil Wayne albums he can still make millions by giving concerts but what can software/game developers do when idiots pirate and enjoy their work, can they go and code live in front of an audience?
    One of my favorite games is Titan Quest and I'll never get to enjoy TQ2 because Iron Lore was brought to bankruptcy by piracy. That's enough of a reason for me to hate any retard who thinks he's entitled to use someone else's work for free.
    QFT.

Couldn't care less about all superstars making millions on live concerts but for game developers Lets face it ALL PC games today are crap crapity crap crap and is nothing of its former glory "back in the day" and I second that it's all piracys fault. Piracy have made Consoles more profitable then PCs...

The only way PC game developers can make serious money today is in the online gaming market with monthly fees.
    SweClockers.com

CPU: Phenom II X4 955BE
    Clock: 4200MHz 1.4375v
    Memory: Dominator GT 2x2GB 1600MHz 6-6-6-20 1.65v
    Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula
    GPU: HD 5770

Xtreme Member
    haha this reminds me of when me and some goons were trolling a sarah palin forum and some conservative blogs and freep found our SA thread where we were planning the invasion and they were like "they're paid by George Soros! and ACORN!! to discredit sarah!" lol

*not that I'm trolling here, it would be too easy

Blaming Piracy for the decline of PC gaming is ridiculous. If this were the case developers would have shifted towards games that are more closely integrated with online features.

Making games for consoles is simply easier and more profitable, they have a huge userbase of casual players that are happy with a mediocre game that only has a 5-7 hour SP component.

You only have to look at Battlefield 2, that was an immensely popular PC game that faced few issues in regards to piracy, yet they have still shifted focus to consoles for the franchise.

Piracy is hardly the reason for the reduction in PC gaming, consumers switching to laptops, consoles gaining online multiplayer and more functionality are much larger reasons.

You will probably see either a resurgence of PC games as the consoles pander to non-gamers like with the Wii or the console market will split into Wii type things and a more PC like console.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
    your statement really shows off your lack of mental age and reasoning. - sorry dude, but it does.

that has nothing to do with a local judge making judgments against a foreign anything. they have made no judgements against the site, they have blocked it, big deal, get a new illegal download site.
    thats like saying your government doesnt have the right to make drugs illegal because they are made in a foreign country.

bullsh|t..

the governement has the right to do anything they please, its the government, and if you dont like it move or vote them out.
    if you dont like them blocking this one site, then stop illegally downloading stuff that warrants your anger about the site being blocked.
    and use a differernt site for fvcks sake.

wahhhwahhhhwahhhh.. someone call the waahhhhmbulance
    Actually, he's most likely right in that they can't force TPB to do anything. Unless they have an agreement with the other country to be able to prosecute or enforce, then the responsibility is on the Dutch to make their ISP's or users follow their law by changing things on their own shores.

You could imagine what would happen to the world if this weren't true.

Of course there are examples where this does happen in real life. Many countries have an agreement to deport serious criminals that have fled their home country. They get them back home, then prosecute.

However, the TPB owners can't be deported to a country they (presumably) weren't bought in. And depending on certain laws as to ownership of the company, it might be considered an entity and owned by Bermuda and covered by their law (Choice if Bermuda is random, dont focus on it). I presume it wasn't it's own entity legally speaking, but I'm just making a point.

Quick post, could have been clearer, but think it was enough to get the point across.

It says a lot about a person's intelligence when they use retarded memes like lulz, epic win, epic fail, noob, owned and so on. Usually when I encounter such retarded in a post I disregard anything that poster has to say.
    I know I'd send you for a holiday
    Last edited by gumballguy; 08-02-2009 at 09:08 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    the thing about public trackers is, theres a crapload of them.
    unless they ban all of them, ppl will just move from one to another
    DFI P965-S/core 2 quad q6600@3.2ghz/4gb gskill ddr2 @ 800mhz cas 4/xfx gtx 260/ silverstone op650/thermaltake xaser 3 case/razer lachesis

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by lizardmech View Post
    Blaming Piracy for the decline of PC gaming is ridiculous. If this were the case developers would have shifted towards games that are more closely integrated with online features.
    No, it is the primary cause of the decline. On-line models that work require significant investment in resources that most start-up operations are hard-pressed to come up with. As we saw with Blizzard's shift and their removal of LAN from Starcraft 2, there was a holy hell uproar here and elsewhere about how evil they were and how it was now doubly necessary to crack it. Even trying the last option to prevent piracy gets game makers hated. Though Blizzard likely did this also to prevent hacks and cheats as well, it was interpreted as the actions of a greedy (!!) evil company out to deny people their god-given right of a good time all in the name of their wicked profit margin. Not recognizing the significant roal of piracy in the decline of PC gaming is willful self-delusion.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

c[_]
    Quote Originally Posted by Speederlander View Post
    No, it is the primary cause of the decline. On-line models that work require significant investment in resources that most start-up operations are hard-pressed to come up with. As we saw with Blizzard's shift and their removal of LAN from Starcraft 2, there was a holy hell uproar here and elsewhere about how evil they were and how it was now doubly necessary to crack it. Even trying the last option to prevent piracy gets game makers hated. Though Blizzard likely did this also to prevent hacks and cheats as well, it was interpreted as the actions of a greedy (!!) evil company out to deny people their god-given right of a good time all in the name of their wicked profit margin. Not recognizing the significant roal of piracy in the decline of PC gaming is willful self-delusion.
    Would you agree that many of the tactics used by many game producers and DRM producers is overall having a more harmful effect than a good one?

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    Would you agree that many of the tactics used by many game producers and DRM producers is overall having a more harmful effect than a good one?
    blaming game developers for using DRM is like blaming rape victims for walking alone at night in a revealing dress

c[_]
    blaming game developers for using DRM is like blaming rape victims for walking alone at night in a revealing dress
    Would you mind explaining how? Or is this just another one of your strawman arguments?

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    NOT including moving PC games largely to a purely on-line model, which I think is a great idea, sure, DRM that interferes with proper operation of a machine is always undesirable (assuming real interference and not apocryphal stories created to play up the issue). However, the only people to thank for extreme copy protection are the people creating the situation in the first place. What came first, piracy or intrusive DRM? Answer: Piracy. You didn't see crap like root kits becoming widespread until piracy was completely out of control. Now, that question answered, would you agree that piracy has harmed the PC game marketplace?
    Last edited by Speederlander; 08-03-2009 at 07:51 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Member
    This will only spread the proliferation of the pirate party.

Alas, the Grim Reefer got it right. It is tough to stop a tsunami once it gets going. The internet has taught the common loon to be resourceful. It's like trying to put chewing gum on a broken dam.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageSys View Post
    This will only spread the proliferation of the pirate party.

Alas, the Grim Reefer got it right. It is tough to stop a tsunami once it gets going. The internet has taught the common loon to be resourceful. It's like trying to put chewing gum on a broken dam.
    You vastly over estimate the number of people for whom their primary political issue is pirating content.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Cruncher
    FACT: downloading copyrighted material for private use is legal in the Netherlands.

FACT: this does not apply to software

FACT: making a profit by offering copyrighted material for legal private downloads was already found to be illegal, in a number of earlier cases

By the way, these rules should apply to the whole of the EU, since the countries of the EU try to make the rules equal across the EU. No idea if this really applies to all member states though. Of course there is also an intepretation issue in case of different national judges.

xtreme energy
    So in NL I can legally download torrent music and :banana::banana::banana::banana: for my private collection?

Xtreme Cruncher
    Making a copy of copyrighted material for your own personal use is 100% allowed. However, making the file available for to others (upload) is not, and in case of a torrent you are most probably uploading.

the Dutch governement publically stated that you can download copyrighted material on the internet under this rule. But there are judges who think different when the source from which you are downloading is not an "original" source. In my opinion it is highly unlikely that the end user will face any real threats though. You can't expect the end user to verify if the source is, for example, an original cd. That is just not practical.

In common law countries there is a similar exception by the way, called fair use. Although it is more restrictive as far as I know.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by v0dka View Post
    Making a copy of copyrighted material for your own personal use is 100% allowed. However, making the file available for to others (upload) is not, and in case of a torrent you are most probably uploading.

the Dutch governement publically stated that you can download copyrighted material on the internet under this rule. But there are judges who think different when the source from which you are downloading is not an "original" source. In my opinion it is highly unlikely that the end user will face any real threats though. You can't expect the end user to verify if the source is, for example, an original cd. That is just not practical.

In common law countries there is a similar exception by the way, called fair use. Although it is more restrictive as far as I know.
    The Dutch law now states that downloading music or films is legal if it is for own practice, study or use. Lending, selling, renting or giving it as a present is illegal do. letting someone else listen or see it is illegal, it can only be used for your self. Downloading games is illegal in any form or way. Making a home copy of games you own is also illegal. Dutch politicians are looking into this do sins the wane chance the law and take a more proactive approach agents downloading.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal View Post
    It's not been banned in germany, yet! It's not even blacklisted in google.de

I guess this thread will be closed soon, even sooner the typical legal/illegal-discussion will begin

OT: I'm always surprised how similar dutch is to our Plattdeutsch.
    I am not promoting illegal activities but you can use many ways of accesing blocked content if that is what you will .. I live in latam and watch hulu :P

I also asked to myself if it was similar and you ( germans and dutch) could understand the other´s language
    "Study hard my young friend"[/B].
    ---------------------------------------
    Woody: It's not a laser! It's a... [sighs in frustration]

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightman View Post
    Nice, so it seems that that my neighbor can order me to not put a tree on my ground, or not to play on xbox, because he want's that?
    actually, yes
    emptiness

c[_]
    Quote Originally Posted by Speederlander View Post
    NOT including moving PC games largely to a purely on-line model, which I think is a great idea, sure, DRM that interferes with proper operation of a machine is always undesirable (assuming real interference and not apocryphal stories created to play up the issue). However, the only people to thank for extreme copy protection are the people creating the situation in the first place. What came first, piracy or intrusive DRM? Answer: Piracy. You didn't see crap like root kits becoming widespread until piracy was completely out of control. Now, that question answered, would you agree that piracy has harmed the PC game marketplace?
    They still pretty much cost the same aside from a bit of quantitative inflation and there's way more of them (quantitative inflation) and little more eye candy and/or features in a few (quantitative inflation..) so in reference to their sale, I have to say no.

But thats just looking at "high end" games. If you include those on the cheaper end of the spectrum they mysteriously lose the excessive DRM aspect (most still have a form or two of protection) while being almost as good or better than the high end games... depending on what you are looking for.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12