Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: iPod killer - Zii Egg

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Serra View Post
    I like the dual camera feature, but I think they have it backwards. HD camera should be on the back so you can take pictures rather than the VGA one, no-one needs HD quality while talking with me over Skype (the only way I can see using it).
    The HD camera is on the back, of course. "Forward facing" means the camera is pointed forward when you're looking at the screen:

The dual camera obviously means the ZMS-05 is supposed to be in 3G cellphones and not only MIDs and PMPs. But you don't need GSM/UMTS funcionality to write Android and Plaszma software for the Egg. And the Egg is just that, a software development kit.

If the Egg had unlocked GSM/UMTS functionality, I'd have ordered one for sure.

Could a moderator please merge this thread with the other one?

Here is a short video of a game playing in the Zii Egg:
    http://www.zii.com/Developer/SDKVideo.aspx (press "3D OpenGL ES with Zii Egg")

It's not much, but it looks damn good.
    Mojo stands for Compute Power!
    No need for powerfull CPUs or GPUs anymore. All you need is Mojo!

Xtreme Member
    looks promising...i agree that it would be really kick @ss as a phone
    ASUS P8Z68V-PRO
    2500k 4.7ghz
    2X4Gb Ballistix Tactical Tracers
    Diamond HD6950 (unlocked) 2gb
    Enermax REVOLUTION 1050W
    Vertex 2 60Gb & Samsung F3 1TB

Xτræmε ÇruñcheΓ
    i hate when they call something the ipod/____ killer and then make it look exactly like the ipod but add features, completely independent of whether or not it's better than the ipod/_____ that it basically praises by calling itself the killer of it

also, why is everything still 480x320
    640x480 on my tiny touch pro screen looks soooooo nice the difference is amazing, it's great when you basically need no more resolution, curves look smooth unless you get your eye very close and/or are being picky.

also also, unsupported music formats (software) is a great way to ruin good hardware (unless easily modified)
    Last edited by AndrewZorn; 07-29-2009 at 05:00 PM.
    i7 2700k 4.60ghz -- Z68XP-UD4 F6F -- Ripjaws 2x4gb 1600mhz -- 560 Ti 448 stock!? -- Liquid Cooling Apogee XT -- Claro+ ATH-M50s -- U2711 2560x1440
    Majestouch 87 Blue -- Choc Mini Brown -- Poker Red -- MX11900 -- G9

I would like to see GPS implemented.

Xtreme Member
    An Ipod killer has been out for quite a while. It is called the Cowon S9. Read some reviews on it.

200 bucks for 16 gb version here

Its the audiophiles / modders PMP. Not many useless features, unbreakable/scratchable and simple to use

c[_]
    Quote Originally Posted by apt403 View Post
    External drives are supported over the mini USB port, and with the new 1TB 2.5" drives... Seems like I'll be in possession of a 1TB PMP soon.
    Wonder if you could hack it to also support external KB and Mouse.

Would be fun to try and get quake 3 running on it rofl

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    not sure we need screens with that much dpi, i cant even read street signs on my palm centro. as nice as that may be, i dont think people would even notice it.

and i like the sig, i thought i recognized the quote, then i saw it was from me, lol
    Might be going to far with the 800x640, but I really enjoy the screen of my Touch Pro (much like Andrew). Not keen on downgrading with my future devices!

Ever since I have my iPod Classic 120GB, I feel sorry for Touch owners, I mean seriously just my music collection more than fills up the baddest Touch..And I'd really like some shows and movies of a decent quality on there too. Wouldn't mind if a developer would stick a 240/250GB 1.8" in there, even though it would get fatter. Either way, 32GB internal + 32GB SDHC sounds darn sweet too.

3G or 4G could get its spot in a seperate version, but not on this one.

Haha yeah that was one nice quote, I giggled the rest of the day and no-one understood exactly why..
    Quote Originally Posted by informal View Post
    It was shown alright.Charlie was right .
    hes only have as bad as a broken clock, whos right 2x a day.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewZorn View Post
    i hate when they call something the ipod/____ killer and then make it look exactly like the ipod but add features, completely independent of whether or not it's better than the ipod/_____ that it basically praises by calling itself the killer of it

also, why is everything still 480x320
    640x480 on my tiny touch pro screen looks soooooo nice the difference is amazing, it's great when you basically need no more resolution, curves look smooth unless you get your eye very close and/or are being picky.

also also, unsupported music formats (software) is a great way to ruin good hardware (unless easily modified)
    I guess that by "they" you mean Nedjo, the thread starter.

Creative never mentioned the iPod or iPhone in their marketing for the Zii Egg.

The Zii Egg isn't even a consumer device. It's part of a SDK for developers to write software for future Zii products.
    That's why they didn't pay attention to the design and why it looks like everything else (a black candy bar with a touchscreen).
    As for the screen, 480*320 is nice for a 3,5" screen.. but higher resolutions in consumer oriented devices is up to OEMs, as well as adding an AMOLED screen, for example.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    Wonder if you could hack it to also support external KB and Mouse.

Would be fun to try and get quake 3 running on it rofl
    Bluetooth 2.1 - check.
    Quote Originally Posted by informal View Post
    It was shown alright.Charlie was right .
    hes only have as bad as a broken clock, whos right 2x a day.

Xtreme Member
    I wonder if the audio hardware is better than other PMPs (with lossless music and high quality headphones) considering its Creative...

Xtreme Guru
    stereo line in? so far the best mp3 player as far as size/ features ive ever seen is the creative zen plus. I can hook up a powered condenser mic and bootleg live shows with it and its so small its fits in your penny pocket on your jeans.

Xtreme Member
    Sorry, but what makes the iphone/ipod touch so great is the app store. If this "ipod killer" doesn't have something comparable, I doubt it will gain any popularity with the masses.

I am Xtreme
    open source apps are a must, thousands of free things is what makes the greatest network

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Confused_User View Post
    Sorry, but what makes the iphone/ipod touch so great is the app store. If this "ipod killer" doesn't have something comparable, I doubt it will gain any popularity with the masses.
    Sigh.. again with the "iPod killer" talk..

THIS IS A SDK, NOT A CONSUMER PRODUCT! It's not meant to be an "iPod killer", period.

Anyways, that app store doesn't depend on Creative. Since the platform uses Android, we already know there's an app store for it.
    Last edited by ToTTenTranz; 07-30-2009 at 02:53 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    So, another "ipod-killer huh"? No need to kill the iPod, just something new that will smoke the iPod. The gadget is good specs-wise, and looks good too, but I pray thee not be a vaporware.
    Last edited by labs23; 07-29-2009 at 07:50 PM.
    [[Daily R!G]]
    Core i7 920 D0 @ 4.0GHz w/ 1.325 vcore.
    Rampage II Gene||CM HAF 932||HX850||MSI GTX 660ti PE OC||Corsair H50||G.Skill Phoenix 3 240GB||G.Skill NQ 6x2GB||Samsung 2333SW

flickr

Xtreme Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Pontos View Post
    If it's lossless, can't you covert it to FLAC, APE, TTA or any other free lossless codec?
    Just decompress it back to a WAV and then choose your preferred format.
    For this kind of device FLAC would be the best choice i think.
    Can I? Yes. However, ripping to WMA lossless via WMP, which does suck I admit, takes less time and effort than typing this reply. Don't get me wrong... I used to rip and encode to Monkey so I'm not anti FLAC, etc. I just don't see a problem with WMA lossless just because it is a MS format. It's simple and works.

Xtreme Member
    can we use this as a phone? i mean you can call or text?

Xtreme X.I.P.
    price? storage size? expandability? network access? game support?

half the important infos are missing... :/

Xtreme Addict
    If they sell it in Australia their only competition is the iPod. No Zune to contend with.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Power5 View Post
    Make it a phone. Then I can get rid of my 3g for hopefully something faster and doesn't freeze as much.
    3Gs
    CPU: Q6600 @ 3.4ghz Mobo: Gigabyte P35-DS4 CPU Cooler: Tuniq Tower
    GPU: ATI HD4850 700/1070 RAM: 4x1GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-1066 PSU: OCZ GameXStream 600W
    Sound card: X-Fi Fatal1ty HDD: Western Digital Raptor 74gb / 320GB Seagate
    Display: 22" Gateway HD2200 Headset: Audio-Technica AD700

Quote Originally Posted by MaByBoI View Post
    they looked at them and said that they dont accept print off coupons, one asked their manager and i over heard the manager say "no they're probly lying, we dont accept these kinds of coupons"
    Quote Originally Posted by tool_462 View Post
    At which point the proper response is to pretend you are on your cell phone and say "No, it looks like the manager is a major douche, looks like we can't eat tonight...again, sorry son."

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    price? storage size? expandability? network access? game support?

half the important infos are missing... :/
    That's because you didn't see the first post?

Price: the SDK costs $399 and bundles a 32GB Zii Egg.
    Storage Size & Expandability: up to 32GB internal + Full size SDHC (up to another 32GB).
    Network access: Bluetooth 2.1, WiFi G, GPS.
    Game support: Every Android game and emulator

Xtreme Addict
    "iPod killer" - funny one... iPod was killed long ago, when Cowon D2 was released back in February 2007. That player was so good (and still is) that even audiophiles acknowledged his potential. iPod is considered junk by people with some knowledge, regarding audio portable devices - only an average Joe would appreciate an iPod - Just cause it's made by apple and it's quite expensive. People that appreciate a product based on his price with theories like "if it's that expensive and labeled by "x brand (well marketed brand)" then it must be good.

As for Zii Egg:

http://www.epizenter.net/news.php?extend.482

Capacitive 10-point multi-gesture touch display
    • 3.5” 320x480 true-color display
    • Up to 32GB internal plus SDHC slot (supports up to 32GB of external SDHC Card)
    • Supports: MP3, WMA, AAC, WMV, H.264, MPEG-4, AVI, and MOV (These are unconfirmed codecs for now)
    • X-Fi audio processing
    • Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR
    • 3-axis Accelerometer
    • Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g
    • Hardware GPS receiver
    • 32MB NOR (Linux Kernel Boot ROM)
    • 256MB Mobile DDR RAM
    • Supports 720p and 1080p HDTVs via HD cable
    •Headphone socket, built-in speaker and microphone
    • Dual cameras
    - Forward facing HD camera
    - Rear facing VGA camera
    • 1200mAH rechargeable lithium-ion
    • 115 x 62 x 12 mm (108grams)

Nice device, can't compete with Cowon D2 at audio quality but then again, his strong points seems to be the video potential and other portable options. Come to think off it, for this device the audio part is just a bonus. With his GPS and other functions it might be the next best thing second to high - end smart phones. It shares some characteristics, even the design with Samsung Omnia or iPhone (not iPod).

Xtreme Member
    You see, the problem with this device is that it's not an iPod.

But seriously, do companies still think that technical superiority/more features will make their product an iPod killer? Idiots.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by XSAlliN View Post
    Nice device, can't compete with Cowon D2 at audio quality but then again, his strong points seems to be the video potential and other portable options. Come to think off it, for this device the audio part is just a bonus. With his GPS and other functions it might be the next best thing second to high - end smart phones. It shares some characteristics, even the design with Samsung Omnia or iPhone (not iPod).
    Since it uses an open source OS, writing an audio player with FLAC, APE and other lossless formats should be relatively easy.
    We don't know the quality of the audio codec and DACs inside the device, of course, but it does have SPDIF so it's good enough for high-quality stereo devices.

Xtreme Member
    wasn’t this thing running a custom android build?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast