Thread: Can anyone say, "Mineral Oil PC?"

Can anyone say, "Mineral Oil PC?"

So, I don't really care that mineral oil isn't the ideal cooling medium, or that the pc we're making is slow and crappy beyond estimate. What I care about is the proof of concept. So here's the plan. A Dell Dimension will be scavenged and thrust into a 15-20 gallon fish tank with about 5-7 gallons of mineral oil. The CPU will be cooled via passive heatsink with fan attached, at first, just to see if it can work. If the fan fails quickly, or impairs the mineral oil cooling the CPU, I'll take it off. I will be running a 6800 GT graphics card just as a test to see if it is feasible to run graphics on a mineral oil pc.

Mostly, I'm in it for the ability to mod a really cool looking case with a fish tank castle in it, diver suspended, and fish hanging, all in the mineral oil. I'll try to keep this up to date with photos of the build as I go about it, but any and all advice would be appreciated in the mean time.

- JPF
    Jonathan P. Figdor

CM HAF Full Tower
    i7 860 @ 3.6 ghz
    water-cooling
    GTX 260 Core 216 (mild oc)
    119 Solid state OS drive
    4X1 Tb internal storage

Xtreme Addict
    Use an aerator instead of fans. It will move the oil around and have much less chance of failing.

Xtreme Addict
    Nothing new. These guys have been doing it for years. Just follow the link and you'll know everything you need to know about it.

Does anybody know how to build a radiator/pump system to cool the oil? I won't need it for the PC I'm testing now (it's too slow to produce enough heat to worry me), but if it works, my friend's old p4 alienware laptop that is CONSTANTLY HEATSOAKED might find itself in pieces in the tank. I'm wondering if it's feasible to inexpensively build a radiator pump system like the ones Puget Systems advertises.
    Jonathan P. Figdor

CM HAF Full Tower
    i7 860 @ 3.6 ghz
    water-cooling
    GTX 260 Core 216 (mild oc)
    119 Solid state OS drive
    4X1 Tb internal storage

I dont see why you cant find a suitable electric oil pump (a diesel fuel pump may work) and a radiator.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SamHughe View Post
    Nothing new. These guys have been doing it for years. Just follow the link and you'll know everything you need to know about it.
    now thats something u dont see everyday...
    ASUS P8Z68V-PRO
    2500k 4.7ghz
    2X4Gb Ballistix Tactical Tracers
    Diamond HD6950 (unlocked) 2gb
    Enermax REVOLUTION 1050W
    Vertex 2 60Gb & Samsung F3 1TB

I am Xtreme
    it can be done quite easily yes but several things to think about

1)
    the thickness of the oil will kill a fan, just see how much slower the fan moves, its completely restricted and will burn the fan out.
    2)
    they do not cool the oil in the videos, BAD idea,, you want to overheat everything in the aquarium?
    you need to find a way to cool it
    powerful pump to move the thick oil and a GOOD rad
    "These are the rules. Everybody fights, nobody quits. If you don't do your job I'll kill you myself.
    Welcome to the Roughnecks"

"Anytime you think I'm being too rough, anytime you think I'm being too tough, anytime you miss-your-mommy, QUIT!
    You sign your 1248, you get your gear, and you take a stroll down washout lane. Do you get me?"

Heat Ebay Feedback

Xtreme Member
    Pretty cool, but like he said it is a novelty item only.