Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 56789101118 ... LastLast

Thread: Everything You Need To Know About World Community Grid/BOINC

Not Yours!
    Nice, but still we need more right?
    What about the score I've got is it where it should be?

Xtreme Legend
    How many machines do you have crunching?

It's hard to gauge your productivity after just a day or two. You'll usually begin to see your real daily average by the third day.

We could always use more members. The real key is getting people to crunch on a daily basis. Less than 30% of our team generates points on a daily basis. If 50% of the team crunched daily, our numbers would skyrocket. And we don't necessarily need individual team members to produce big numbers every day (though big point producers are always welcome). If 500 members generated 2,000 WCG points each on a daily basis, that's a million points.

Just to put it into perspective, a single quad-core will generate between 15,000 and 20,000 points/day, depending on the overclock. A quad core with eight threads (i7-920, i7-930), will generate between 25,000 and 30,000. An overclocked hexa-core (i7-980X) will get 40,000-50,000.
    Last edited by sierra_bound; 04-15-2010 at 10:20 AM.
    Audentes fortuna iuvat

"Fortune favors the bold"

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Mydog View Post
    Nice, but still we need more right?
    What about the score I've got is it where it should be?
    Like sierra said, it will take a couple more days to even out but at that point you can expect about 45+k WCG points per day on your 980x all by itself.
    Last edited by Snow Crash; 04-15-2010 at 10:04 AM.

Not Yours!
    Quote Originally Posted by sierra_bound View Post
    How many machines do you have crunching?

It's hard to gauge your productivity after just a day or two. You'll usually begin to see your real daily average by the third day.

We could always use more members.
    At the moment I've got two machines crunching, one i7-980x system and a Q9650 system. I'll be putting up a i7 920 machine in the weekend and maybe another Q9650 setup.

Just have to wait another day or so then to see the daily average score

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mydog View Post
    At the moment I've got two machines crunching, one i7-980x system and a Q9650 system. I'll be putting up a i7 920 machine in the weekend and maybe another Q9650 setup.

Just have to wait another day or so then
    Yea, it is a patience thing the first few days.
    God's truth, I said the same thing you did back when I started in 2006 and so did most of the guys on the team.
    Many Thanks for helping and we'll take all you can bring
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Cruncher
    well i've just joined but it will take a couple of days for me to get started.
    this weekend i'll have some time to set this all up.
    a quick question does memory help out a lot?right now im only running 4gigs
    in my i7-920 rig,going to be getting triple channel kit soon.

MY HEATWARE 76-0-0

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by radaja View Post
    well i've just joined but it will take a couple of days for me to get started.
    this weekend i'll have some time to set this all up.
    a quick question does memory help out a lot?right now im only running 4gigs
    in my i7-920 rig,going to be getting triple channel kit soon.
    Thank you for joining. You don't need a lot of memory, unless you're using the computer for other things. 3GB (3 x 1GB) should be enough if the PC is just used for crunching.
    Audentes fortuna iuvat

Xtreme Cruncher
    Questions.

When I first signed up for WCG I also signed up to BOINCstats.
    Today I checked BOINCstats and it shows nothing even though WCG stats are updating. Then I tried to join XtremeSystems in BOINCstats and get the error "no response from project".

So I go into BOINC manager and tell it to sync with BOINCStats BAM. Next thing I know BOINC manager has stopped? Try and update and the program crashes

What did I do? Why are stats not showing up on BAM? How do I get my stats in BAM, if I do a search for my name I find some else in Sweden has the same name? Why can't I join XtremeSystems in BOINCstats? What is the value of using BAM ?

Sorry for all the question but inquiring minds need to know.

John

Xtreme Cruncher
    great to hear.i'll install the software soon and start crunching so can get a handle
    on how this works and be ready to crunch the first week of may at full power

MY HEATWARE 76-0-0

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnmark View Post
    Questions.

When I first signed up for WCG I also signed up to BOINCstats.
    Today I checked BOINCstats and it shows nothing even though WCG stats are updating. Then I tried to join XtremeSystems in BOINCstats and get the error "no response from project".

So I go into BOINC manager and tell it to sync with BOINCStats BAM. Next thing I know BOINC manager has stopped? Try and update and the program crashes

What did I do? Why are stats not showing up on BAM? How do I get my stats in BAM, if I do a search for my name I find some else in Sweden has the same name? Why can't I join XtremeSystems in BOINCstats? What is the value of using BAM ?

Sorry for all the question but inquiring minds need to know.

John

There are numerous BOINC stats sites. But they don't all show updated stats at the same time. This morning I had to go to the Free-DC site to get numbers for the newer members.

This is your page at Free-DC:

http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?p...cg&name=681494

Free-DC is not always the site to show updated numbers first.

I'm not sure how to fix the BOINCStats BAM. I've never seen that problem before.
    Audentes fortuna iuvat

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by sierra_bound View Post
    There are numerous BOINC stats sites. But they don't all show updated stats at the same time. This morning I had to go to the Free-DC site to get numbers for the newer members.

This is your page at Free-DC:

http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?p...cg&name=681494

Free-DC is not always the site to show updated numbers first.

I'm not sure how to fix the BOINCStats BAM. I've never seen that problem before.
    Thanks for the reply Sierra_Bound, I'll try the link you posted.
    Did I cause BOINC Manager to stop when I told it to sync with BAM? or do u think it was some kind of glitch?

John

Xtreme Legend
    I've never tried to sync the BOINC Manager with BAM, so I don't know. Perhaps someone else can chime in.

One thing you could try. On the BOINC Manager, go to Advanced, then Preferences. Hit the button in the upper right that says "Clear". The manager will default back to the web-based preferences you chose at the WCG site. If you want to run at 100% load, just make that's indicated in the Device Profile section.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Audentes fortuna iuvat

Xtreme Cruncher
    Obviously I don't have a clue
    Before I was able to Clear BOINC Manager shutdown by itself down this time?

I'm going to BOINC stats to shut it down until I figure out what I'm doing.

Thanks for the help.

John

Xtreme Cruncher
    I think you can just disconnect from BAM from inside BOINC manager. I think all it really does is help you control what the machine is crunching remotely. Seeing as we are the "set it up and let it run" types, I have never found the need for it.

Apologies in advance if I'm posting in the wrong thread...... followed mm's announcement here. I'm in with 6 to 12 cores for the May Super Computer push, depending on the weather, distributed heating I like, cooling it not so much.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Hey Rick I see you still have your head

Well guys been a while since I have been on the forums. I have joined and installed WCG software, now will add BOINC Manager. Currently running it on wifes dual core X2 550 at 3.5 w 4gb DDR2. Plan to install to my PH II 955 running at 3.7 w 8gb DDR3

Quote Originally Posted by phicks View Post
    Hey Rick I see you still have your head
    Yep and still have the same view...............

I just built a system out of spare parts last night and added it to the cause

(AMD Athlon 64 3400+ / 2gb ddr) nothing extraordinary but i figured it could help a bit

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Excuse me guys, just had to do a little thread cleaning and remove some garbage..
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Otis11 View Post
    Don't let him fool ya... he's cautious. I've been running my i7 at high 80's for almost a full year now, nothing to worry about.

Just depends where you're comfort level is.
    Thanks for this post. I've read that anything up to 90C is fine for i7, but wanted to check - and behold, the answer I've just OCed that i7 920 that was sitting turned off before I joined WCG couple of days ago. I've just blindly set the BCLK from 133 to 166 and it all works.. Prime after ~1h has it around 89-90C, no errors.. hopefully all fine. WCG keeps it at low 78-84C as much as I caught so far.. Btw, measuring with RealTemp.exe, v3.4, hope it reads these CPUs well enough..

Quote Originally Posted by D_A View Post
    You have joined the wrong team.

The one you wanted is here: http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/te...mId=69B8364XP1
    LOL! That's why I went to "top list" of teams, and joined one listed there.. I thought "they're here, can't be wrong team" And it isn't

Quote Originally Posted by Johnmark View Post
    On another note I'm VERY impressed with how well BOINC Manager handles multitasking using the x64 version. I've got it set to use 100% CPU and eight threads, which it is using all the time and can still do my daily work without really noticing any negative impacts. Sure it slows down the BOINC's crunching somewhat but the big thing is I can still run multiple tasks without noticing a slow down on the primary app !!
    Just wanted to say that! I've been watching videos, browsing, doing some office-level work.. nothing hard.. But it never flinched. If I didn't look at Task manager I wouldn't even know it's running. Oh, and not having to turn on any heating last few days ;D But really, app is great in that respect, I can actually have it on and running 100% all the time, and not think "oh, got to turn it off so I can run this FullHD video or it will stutter".. no way! Real smooth! That's on my "home" E4400 CPU, nothing fancy btw..

I do have one question, at whoever knows the answer. Except by BSOD-ing, is there any way to know if perhaps CPU is giving out errors? I'm not concerned with my E4400, it's been OCed few years, and never had troubles with it, as long as I stay at/under 3.2GHz. But I've just OCed that i7 920 to 3.33, it's got stock cooler, running in those mid-low 80s when running WCG, but I've had Prime running only ~1h at once, though had total of around 4 hours of 100% CPU so far under either Prime or WCG today, so far didn't notice anything. But since it's running WCG now, not Prime, I'd like to know if there are any ways to spot errors that do happen but don't crash application or OS. Prime is great there, throwing out errors and so on (at least it did years ago when I last used it).. but don't know about BOINC x64 client.. Any help is appreciated
    Oh, and I didn't want to "waste" time on running Prime for longer time, I want to process those WCG packets

EDIT: Darn this i7 is precessing packets 5.5x faster than my C2D.. and that's before I've OCed it.. Gonna have to buy me one :P
    Last edited by LuxZg; 04-16-2010 at 11:28 AM.
    Intel Core 2 Duo E4400 @ 320x10 (3200MHz) w/ Scythe Ninja rev.B + 120mm fan | Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R (Intel P35 + ICH9R) | 4x 1GB Kingmax MARS DDR2 800 CL5 | Sapphire ATi Radeon HD4890 | multiple random HDDs | LG GH20NS15 SuperMulti, SATA | LG W2361V, 23“ LCD, 1920x1080 | Aplus CS-188AF case w/ 250mm side fan | onboard 7.1, with Logitech X-540 5.1 speakers | Chieftec 450W /w 120mm fan | Win 7 Enterprise 64bit

Xtreme Cruncher
    Prime after ~1h has it around 89-90C
    Go out and get yourself a better HSF than stock and you will be able to get that bad boy up to 4.0 GHz in no time, rock solid stable too I bet.

You can check for non-BSOD errors by going to the WCG website, login to your account and then change the Result Status filter.
    http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/ms...Time&pageNum=1

Not Yours!
    I'm having some errors coming out like this(about 15 all the same):
    Result Name: ng727_ 00006_ 9--

<core_client_version>6.10.43</core_client_version>
    <![CDATA[
    <message>
    Incorrect function. (0x1) - exit code 1 (0x1)
    </message>
    <stderr_txt>
    ERROR:: Exit at: .\dock_structure.cc line:401

</stderr_txt>
    ]]>

This means?

i got 4 of those errors too,

but noticed the cpu time on them was too short, still some credit was still given

Xtreme Legend
    Which version of BOINC are you guys using? And do the errors appears on a particular project or on all of the projects?

Errors can be caused by a number of things - unstable overclock, bad work units, Beta BOINC client with bugs, etc. The Human Proteome project has been known to cause errors.
    Audentes fortuna iuvat

Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 56789101118 ... LastLast