Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Thread: Everything You Need To Know About World Community Grid/BOINC

Xtreme Cruncher
    Does anybody happen to know if GPGPU is supported by WCG? I've got an 8800GTX in one box with CUDA support and 2xHD5770 CFX in another box with OpenCL support. At any rate, I'm in with a 3.8GHz i5-750, a 3.0GHz Q6600, and (if I get it working again in time) a 3.0GHz E4500.

Edit: I just realized this was my first post after 2 years of lurking.

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixt00l View Post
    So this is only for a week then, what next? When do we start, I do not understand anything...
    This is to demonstrate how much computing power there is at XS. Of course, you are welcome to keep crunching after one week.

Some of the participants in WCG are universities and other institutions that use supercomputers. We want to show that we have as much computing power here as they do. We can create a "super virtual computer" by having all the PC's (and Macs) here working in concert to perform very large tasks. This is the power of grid or distributed computing.
    Audentes fortuna iuvat

"Fortune favors the bold"

Is it possible to run this program throught some remote access over internet? Something like team viewer. So that I can even from rebooted or shut down state bring computer to OS?(that does not depend on ip address). I'm studying in another country and workstation computer is sitting at home and collecting dust and rust. :-). So, I really want to contribute. Any tutorial will help for setting this up (remote access, not WCG or BOINC). I don't like to explain to parents what-how to do because they can only unplug from city power grid. Thanks Movieman for email!!!

Xtreme Mentor
    I'm in!
    One question though:
    Why is BOINC still shows up in Task Manager as 32bit process even after I've installed 64bit client version 6.10.43?

I will try and add few more cores from my work computers later on this week, so all in all I should contribute around 10-20 cores @2.5GHz on average.
    RiG1: Ryzen 7 1700 @4.0GHz 1.39V, Asus X370 Prime, G.Skill RipJaws 2x8GB 3200MHz CL14 Samsung B-die, TuL Vega 56 Stock, Samsung SS805 100GB SLC SDD (OS Drive) + 512GB Evo 850 SSD (2nd OS Drive) + 3TB Seagate + 1TB Seagate, BeQuiet PowerZone 1000W

RiG2: HTPC AMD A10-7850K APU, 2x8GB Kingstone HyperX 2400C12, AsRock FM2A88M Extreme4+, 128GB SSD + 640GB Samsung 7200, LG Blu-ray Recorder, Thermaltake BACH, Hiper 4M880 880W PSU

SmartPhone Samsung Galaxy S7 EDGE
    XBONE paired with 55'' Samsung LED 3D TV

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightman View Post
    I'm in!
    One question though:
    Why is BOINC still shows up in Task Manager as 32bit process even after I've installed 64bit client version 6.10.43?

I will try and add few more cores from my work computers later on this week, so all in all I should contribute around 10-20 cores @2.5GHz on average.
    That's because BOINC itself is a 32-bit application. A 64-bit client is available for CPUs with x64 computing capabilities. In theory, it shouldn't make a difference whether you use the 32-bit or 64-bit client. But the reality is that the 64-bit client will generate more points per day.
    Audentes fortuna iuvat

Quote Originally Posted by sierra_bound View Post
    Welcome to all the new members.

You can find the 64-bit BOINC client here. Use the "recommended version". The "development version" is a beta and may have issues.
    Downloaded, and will be crunching tonight, and hopefully overclocked tomorrow.. and as long as I can

EDIT: One more question, if I'm running same client with same user on several computers, do I need to setup anything extra, or do I just login with same username in them all, and they're smart enough to know not to interfere with each other? I've seen some profiles and devices mentioned, so just checking.. easier here than reading the same WCG site

Quote Originally Posted by Tristor View Post
    Does anybody happen to know if GPGPU is supported by WCG? <cut>
    Edit: I just realized this was my first post after 2 years of lurking.
    LOL! Just had to include a reply to you as well.. I'm not sure if I should say "welcome" for coming in or "good morning" for waking up Anyway, as much as I've seeen in earlier posts - no GPGPU client for now unfortunately
    Last edited by LuxZg; 04-13-2010 at 11:22 AM.
    Intel Core 2 Duo E4400 @ 320x10 (3200MHz) w/ Scythe Ninja rev.B + 120mm fan | Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R (Intel P35 + ICH9R) | 4x 1GB Kingmax MARS DDR2 800 CL5 | Sapphire ATi Radeon HD4890 | multiple random HDDs | LG GH20NS15 SuperMulti, SATA | LG W2361V, 23“ LCD, 1920x1080 | Aplus CS-188AF case w/ 250mm side fan | onboard 7.1, with Logitech X-540 5.1 speakers | Chieftec 450W /w 120mm fan | Win 7 Enterprise 64bit

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by LuxZg View Post
    Downloaded, and will be crunching tonight, and hopefully overclocked tomorrow.. and as long as I can

EDIT: One more question, if I'm running same client with same user on several computers, do I need to setup anything extra, or do I just login with same username in them all, and they're smart enough to know not to interfere with each other? I've seen some profiles and devices mentioned, so just checking.. easier here than reading the same WCG site

LOL! Just had to include a reply to you as well.. I'm not sure if I should say "welcome" for coming in or "good morning" for waking up Anyway, as much as I've seeen in earlier posts - no GPGPU client for now unfortunately
    Just install to each machine using the same name and password that you used on the first machine and your golden.
    Yes, unfortunately no GPU app yet but we're working on it.
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Addict
    Joined... Movieman, I told you about two years ago that I'd join...

well I did today :-)

... now I gota install this baby on everything! (seriously I can contribute at least 3 computers to this project.)

Cheers!
    Current: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.2GHz / EK Supremacy/ 360 EK Rad, EK-DBAY D5 PWM, 32GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Vega 64 Wave, Samsung nVME SSDs
    Prior Build: Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz / Apogee XT/120.2 Magicool rad, 16GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Saphire rx580 8GB, Samsung 850 Pro SSD

Intel 4.5GHz LinX Stable Club

Everyone seems to double post today
    @Movieman - thanks for the invite, and the info.. I'll do my best to install several on computers in my office as well, they can at least crunch 16 hours a day Mon-Fri, and through whole weekends, that's got to count for something, even if it's lowly E2xxx's Maybe even a Q6600 part-timer, and of course, I'll add my desktop at home in a few minutes as well (nothing fancy, but it should help). Nice idea though, hopefully it catches on With Xtreme population, it's obvious it's a lot of power sitting idle most of the time.. specially since many have multiple computers lying around.. Catch ya later!
    Intel Core 2 Duo E4400 @ 320x10 (3200MHz) w/ Scythe Ninja rev.B + 120mm fan | Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R (Intel P35 + ICH9R) | 4x 1GB Kingmax MARS DDR2 800 CL5 | Sapphire ATi Radeon HD4890 | multiple random HDDs | LG GH20NS15 SuperMulti, SATA | LG W2361V, 23“ LCD, 1920x1080 | Aplus CS-188AF case w/ 250mm side fan | onboard 7.1, with Logitech X-540 5.1 speakers | Chieftec 450W /w 120mm fan | Win 7 Enterprise 64bit

I'll answer the call to Movieman-week with my single i7 920.

Xtreme Member
    ok im hoping im doing this right but im having ago
    to be honest im not sure what i have got myself into lol
    becuse i didnot know what the hell its about can someone just give me a quick
    (what its doing)

thanks

Xtreme Member
    just to ask everyone is running my i7 920@3.7ghz wile running world community grid and a temp of 64c will this be ok for long running times

thanks
    ps i have been crunching for 1hr now but more to come

Xtreme Legend
    64C seems OK. Is that at full load?
    Audentes fortuna iuvat

Xtreme Member
    it peaks to 100% but its not mak for all the time

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by rubber5 View Post
    just to ask everyone is running my i7 920@3.7ghz wile running world community grid and a temp of 64c will this be ok for long running times

thanks
    ps i have been crunching for 1hr now but more to come
    It's ok, I tend to think of 69-70 where I get concerned
    also this may help if your not seeing 100% usage, go into boinc manager then to 'MY grid" and to device profiles and check the settings.
    These will work fine:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	settings.jpg 
Views:	537 
Size:	138.2 KB 
ID:	103133  
    Last edited by Movieman; 04-13-2010 at 03:22 PM.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Xtreme Member
    if everything goes as planned... ill throw down for a week... possibly even longer...

WCG has always sprung my curiosity, but ive never had the time to really read into it... maybe this is that time.
    Evga 680i * Q6600 G0 * 4x2gb g.skill Pi * Evga GTX260 (216) - sli * x-fi fatality * Corsair HX1000
    Asus Striker II Formula * Q6600 G0 * 4x2gb corsair * Evga 9600gso * corsair hx620
    #3 WIP
    Asrock Z77 Extreme4-M * 3570K * 2x2gb samsung * 60gb SSD

Not Yours!
    How long does it take before my crunching shows in the stats?

Xtreme Member
    ok thanks for that im a bit happyer now knowing my temp is ok
    i just know my cpu fan gets faster as the temp goes up but i has not gone any higher than 64c (yet) lol

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mydog View Post
    as i have seen its after 12 hours or something

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Mydog View Post
    If you started today you probably won't see any results until tomorrow. By the second day, you'll get a better idea of your daily point average. Each completed work unit that's sent back to WCG has to be validated. The same work unit is usually sent out to at least one other host (computer). The servers then compare the two results. Scientists are big on redundancy.
    Last edited by sierra_bound; 04-13-2010 at 03:39 PM.
    Audentes fortuna iuvat

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Thanks guys for helping here.
    It does tend to take a few days to show what your really doing as it comes "up to speed"..
    This is a patience thing so "set it and forget it .
    Then check back Friday and be surprised.

Xtreme Member
    how does it tell you on the work the pc has done ie g-flopps or total calculations if you know what i meen

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    It's ok, I tend to think of 69-70 where I get concerned
    also this may help if your not seeing 100% usage, go into boinc manager then to 'MY grid" and to device profiles and check the settings.
    These will work fine:
    Don't let him fool ya... he's cautious. I've been running my i7 at high 80's for almost a full year now, nothing to worry about.

Just depends where you're comfort level is.

24 hour prime stable? Please, I'm 24/7/365 WCG stable!

So you can do Furmark, Can you Grid???

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Otis11 View Post
    Don't let him fool ya... he's cautious. I've been running my i7 at high 80's for almost a full year now, nothing to worry about.

Just depends where you're comfort level is.
    cool thanks for giving that info as well i love the cpu now its a total monster lol
    and its even better @3.7ghz lol

Xtreme crazy bastid
    Quote Originally Posted by rubber5 View Post
    how does it tell you on the work the pc has done ie g-flopps or total calculations if you know what i meen
    I'm not really sure what you mean, but you can check on work unit progress using the Boinc Manager. If you want to see your total work history go to the WCG site and play around with the Results Status part of the My Grid page.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast