Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 41112131415161724 ... LastLast

Thread: Everything You Need To Know About World Community Grid/BOINC

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sierra_bound View Post
    Not everyone has such a high opinion of America. I lived and worked in London for a year, so I know how expensive things are in the UK, especially in that city. Half my paycheck went to taxes. But I had a great time while I was there.
    cool so you have traveld alot then im happy that you agree and the tax is getting worse now to be honnest your better of on job seakers now thats how bad it is
    where would you prefer to live america or the uk that is the question
    ps its nice to know there is some peapole out there that chats about other things not just pc stuff

Xtreme crazy bastid
    Quote Originally Posted by rubber5 View Post
    ps its nice to know there is some peapole out there that chats about other things not just pc stuff

Wash your mouth out with TIM!

This is a community, and while the focus is on PCs and WCG in particular, the people here do actually have real lives.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by rubber5 View Post
    cool so you have traveld alot then im happy that you agree and the tax is getting worse now to be honnest your better of on job seakers now thats how bad it is
    where would you prefer to live america or the uk that is the question
    I was in my 20's when I lived in England. London is a great place for young people. I'm much older now. I think the country I would most like to live in is Italy. My wife and I visited Tuscany about six years ago. We both agree that we would love to retire there. The country looks ageless. Italy has its fair share of problems, just like everywhere else. But there's a lot more to like than to not like.
    Audentes fortuna iuvat

"Fortune favors the bold"

Xtreme Cruncher
    Any reasons why i still have "pending validation" units from 19th of April? Is it normal? And noticed two "inconclusive" units as well... Any thoughts??
    SB 2600K
    MSI P67A-GD65

8GB 1600/CL8
    GTX580
    64GB SSD
    4TB
    Xonar DX
    BeQuiet Straight Power 680W sleeved
    in
    Cosmos 1000, modded
    TC PA120.3+XSPC RX240mm+XSPC RASA+DDC1T+OCLabs top+EK Multioption 150+ EK-FC580

Xtreme Legend
    It can sometimes take a week or longer for a work unit to be validated. Let's suppose the same work unit is sent out to two computers. Your computer finishes the work unit and sends it in. The second computer may have gotten an error, in which case the same work unit has to be sent out to another computer. That's how the validation process works.

BOINC uses a quorum system to validate work units. Each project has a different quorum size. Let's suppose it's a quorum of three, meaning three identical work units are sent out to computers. When they are returned, the validation program examines all three. If the results for all three work units look the same, then all three computers will get credit. But if one result looks a lot different than the other two, it is called invalid and thrown out. If all three work units look different, then the results are called "inconclusive" and three more identical work units are sent out to computers.
    Audentes fortuna iuvat

Hey Sierra_Bound,

Maybe you should post this on the front page with all the other help items you have, or at least a link to the thread. It might help for newcomers like myself to understand the BOINC results a little more.
    I found it here https://secure.worldcommunitygrid.or...ad_thread,6105 at the WCG forums.

Work In Progress - This means that one of your computers is currently working on it

Aborted - has 2 prefixes, Server Aborted and User Aborted for canceled jobs before or during running. Server Aborted reflects the Server side instructed cancellations telling the client to automatically abort redundant or known bad tasks. Latter only happens when the client has contacted the project servers who set such an instruction ready.

Detached - When a newer client gets dis-associated from this project with tasks still in the cache, will a message be send to the servers to ensure that these tasks get quickly redistributed. With older clients this would not happen and task copies would not get send until the "No Reply" condition occurred.

Error - Some event occurred to keep the result from finishing properly. This could be due to a BOINC error or a science application error.

No Reply - The result was not returned to the server by the time it was due.

Pending Validation - The result was returned to the server but there have not been enough results for that workunit returned to the server yet for validation to be attempted

Valid - The result was returned to the server and was equal to the majority of results returned for the workunit.

Invalid - The result was returned to the server and was not found to be equal to the majority of results returned for the workunit.

Inconclusive - The result was returned to the server and validation was attempted but the system could not determine which result(s) it should consider to be valid. New results were sent out for this workunit and validation will be attempted again when those results are returned. Additionally, for the Zero Redundancy projects one or more results are at times randomly marked Inconclusive to force out an additional copy for computation and verification. Clients which produced an invalid/error result will see this more frequent until the reliability rate has returned to high standard.

Too Late - The result was returned to the server a long time after it was due and so no credit was granted.

Other - The most common reason for this status is that the BOINC server decided that the workunit should be sent out to another computer but prior to the workunit actually being sent again, the workunit was validated.

Waiting to sent - A transient condition when not all copies of a Initial distribution have been downloaded by volunteer clients. Seen also when a project has been temporarily stopped.

Xtreme Legend
    Will do.
    Audentes fortuna iuvat

Xtreme Cruncher
    Another n00b question (or maybe busy guy - i'm writing up my phd thesis right now): can i download workunits on one computer and transfer them (usb stick) to another PC not connected to the network...??? Then compute them, "ready to report" back on usb stick and to network connected machine?

In other words: if BOINC client can work in off-line mode?
    SB 2600K
    MSI P67A-GD65

8GB 1600/CL8
    GTX580
    64GB SSD
    4TB
    Xonar DX
    BeQuiet Straight Power 680W sleeved
    in
    Cosmos 1000, modded
    TC PA120.3+XSPC RX240mm+XSPC RASA+DDC1T+OCLabs top+EK Multioption 150+ EK-FC580

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by ggdh View Post
    Another n00b question (or maybe busy guy - i'm writing up my phd thesis right now): can i download workunits on one computer and transfer them (usb stick) to another PC not connected to the network...??? Then compute them, "ready to report" back on usb stick and to network connected machine?

In other words: if BOINC client can work in off-line mode?
    unfortunately no to all..
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Mentor
    Okay so this is my first time seeing this I just got 5 high priority tasks that bumped other WU's whats that all about? Maybe WCG is starting to realize the computing power XS's has

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by =[PULSAR]= View Post
    Okay so this is my first time seeing this I just got 5 high priority tasks that bumped other WU's whats that all about? Maybe WCG is starting to realize the computing power XS's has
    They send those to what WCG's server considers "known stable machines"
    IE: Machines with a good track record of returning WU
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Legend
    That will happen from time to time on most computers. Sometimes WCG inserts a batch of work units with shorter deadlines that it wants finished as soon as possible.
    Audentes fortuna iuvat

Xtreme Cruncher
    So I read another post about points bonus if returned in under 24 hours? Is this true? If so, wouldn't a workload cache (work buffer) of >1day cause you never to get the bonus?
    Main: i7-930 @ 2.8GHz HT on; 1x GIGABYTE GTX 660 Ti OC 100% GPUGrid
    2nd: i7-920 @ 2.66GHz HT off; 1x EVGA GTX 650 Ti SSC 100% GPUGrid
    3rd: i7-3770k @ 3.6GHz HT on, 3 threads GPUGrid CPU; 2x GIGABYTE GTX 660 Ti OC 100% GPUGrid
    Part-time: FX-4100 @ 3.6GHz, 2 threads GPUGrid CPU; 1x EVGA GTX 650 100% GPUGrid

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by werdwerdus View Post
    So I read another post about points bonus if returned in under 24 hours? Is this true? If so, wouldn't a workload cache of >1day cause you never to get the bonus?
    Think that comment was made by me and its false I was thinking of gpugrid.

Hi

Im absolutly noob to this, running my e6750 @ 3,2G. Did some testruns and now want to join the supercomputer week.
    I am NOT listet on the XS Individual Stats, what am i doing wrong????

Here is my stat page: http://allprojectstats.com/showuser....t=0&id=2023831
    Position in team - out of 2,286 ?!?

Thanks
    Obsidian 800D - i7 2600k@H70 - HIS HD6990 - Sapphire HD6970 CF - Aquacomputer XT Ultra - 2xCrucial C300 64GB Raid 0 - Gigabyte P67A-UD7 - Corsair Vengeance 8GB 8C - Coolermaster Silent PRO Gold 1200W - 3x24" Eyefinity 5760x1200

Xtreme crazy bastid
    Go here: http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/te...mId=69B8364XP1 and click "Join This Team" (or just click here: http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/ms...mId=69B8364XP1 )

Yes this is for XtremeSystems :P

Edit: Ok, from what I've just seen you've already done that. You're now at the mercy of the validation system. Your stats won't show up on the team page till at least about 0100hrs UTC tomorrow after the team stats run completes. It can take a couple of days to really get rolling with this project.
    Last edited by D_A; 05-01-2010 at 01:39 AM.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by D_A View Post
    Go here: http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/te...mId=69B8364XP1 and click "Join This Team" (or just click here: http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/ms...mId=69B8364XP1 )

Yes this is for XtremeSystems :P
    Thanks!!
    thought I had done it, when follow the guide?
    I see if its working now.
    Obsidian 800D - i7 2600k@H70 - HIS HD6990 - Sapphire HD6970 CF - Aquacomputer XT Ultra - 2xCrucial C300 64GB Raid 0 - Gigabyte P67A-UD7 - Corsair Vengeance 8GB 8C - Coolermaster Silent PRO Gold 1200W - 3x24" Eyefinity 5760x1200

Xtreme crazy bastid
    Check my edit, it might be relevant.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Guys, as I'm fairly new to Boinc: I didn't check that protected app execution, when installing Boinc, initially. So boinc doesn't run as a service.
    Any way to correct that w/o reinstalling? Or can I just re-install over the existing install without loosing the work and settings?

Tnx
    Watercooling since 2005. Primary requirement for any components in my system is 0db: no fans are allowed anywhere. All components are liquid cooled with passive convection. I do not overclock.
    The system is just completely rebuilt. If the only fan (PSU) starts to spin, I will cool it with 3M Fluorinert liquid.

Gigabyte GA-X79-UD5 (EK and Watercool.de waterblocks) - Core i7 3820 (EK Supremacy) - 4x4B Corsair Dominator 2133 (passive) - Gigabyte GTX 670OC (EK bloc) - Samsung 830 and 840 SSD 2x256GB - 2x WD 1TB Raid Edition (enclosed in Alphacool Silentstar dual drive liquid coolers) - Seasonic P1000 platinum 1000W PSU (no fan up to about 350W) - Eheim HPPS pump - HP LTO5 Ultrium tape drive (with self made large passive cooling block on ATTO H644 SATA3 controller - 2 Innovatek radiators for passive, fanless cooling of the liquid (and heating of my room) - 3 Fujitsu Siemens P19 displays on great Matrox TripleHead2Go - alle Innovatek cooling and tubing accessories.

Xtreme Legend
    I would recommend uninstalling BOINC, but saving the folder containing the BOINC work units. It's probably in a sub-folder called "projects". When you reinstall BOINC, delete the new sub-folder and replace it with the one you saved.
    Audentes fortuna iuvat

Xtreme Cruncher
    i accidently hit the update button on the projects page of boinc manager
    and now my 16 units that were in waiting to send status are now gone.
    did i lose them by hitting the update button,or did they just get sent
    to be validated?

MY HEATWARE 76-0-0

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by radaja View Post
    to be validated?
    They were sent to be validated.

Xtreme Cruncher
    ok thanks,thats what i was hoping happened.

MY HEATWARE 76-0-0

Xtreme Cruncher
    Not lost at all. In fact that would have happened eventually anyway. BOINC finishes a WU and uploads the results but then there is a seperate step to report that you did upload it (the files go to one place and the notification that the upload has been done goes to another). The second step second step is a heavy process for the server on the other end they have BOINC set up to report them in batches (it is just a heavy if reporting 1 as it is for reporting 10). It does the reporting when your machine asks for more WUs or it automatically happens within 24 hours of the original WU due date, which ever comes first. There is no real harm in pushing the update button.

Nanoseconds from Permaban
    Quote Originally Posted by radaja View Post
    to be validated?
    Also change your settings in your WCG profile to update more often so you don't get a huge backlog:

My Grid | Device Manager | Device Profiles | Default [if you haven't set any] | Workunit Cache Settings:

Change the "Connect to network about every" to .1 or something lower than what you have now.

Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 41112131415161724 ... LastLast