Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 31011121314151623 ... LastLast

Thread: Everything You Need To Know About World Community Grid/BOINC

Nanoseconds from Permaban
    Ah ok, thanks Someguy1982

Xtreme Cruncher
    No problem, hope it helps!

To my knowledge when a WU completes it sends the data off to the respective projects immediately, however it does not report it completed to the wcg scheduling servers right away. It only reports to them a few times a day to get new WU's. When you hit "update" that's what you're actually doing.

Adding the quad core really picked up my results/day
    Statistics Date Total Run Time
    (y:d:h:m:s) Points Generated Results Returned
    4/24/10 0:002:04:59:11 6,089 20
    4/23/10 0:002:03:24:53 4,586 15
    4/22/10 0:001:03:13:21 2,356 6
    4/21/10 0:000:15:04:52 1,307 4
    4/20/10 0:001:03:18:36 2,493 6
    4/19/10 0:001:00:44:20 2,213 3
    4/18/10 0:000:19:58:29 1,729 4

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by retro77 View Post
    I've noticed I've had to manually tell mine to report. Global issue?
    I've found that when using BAM to control BOINC the finished units are uploaded more consistently?
    Although I'm not really comfortable with BAM yet, keep thinking I may have one of those setting wrong.
    My stats are not very consistent yesterday only got 2400 points and I was at work all day? 5600 points so far today since activating BAM and I've been using the computer for some minor tasks. Not very good numbers for a 4 Ghz i7-920 and Dual Core e7400.

Of course stones, milestones

John

Xtreme Member
    Joined up yesterday.... glad to help

WZ

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnmark View Post
    I've found that when using BAM to control BOINC the finished units are uploaded more consistently?
    Although I'm not really comfortable with BAM yet, keep thinking I may have one of those setting wrong.
    My stats are not very consistent yesterday only got 2400 points and I was at work all day? 5600 points so far today since activating BAM and I've been using the computer for some minor tasks. Not very good numbers for a 4 Ghz i7-920 and Dual Core e7400.

Of course stones, milestones

John
    An i7-920 @ 4GHz should generate at least 30,000 WCG points/day (approx. 4,285 BOINC). So if you have 5,600 BOINC points, that's very good.

In some cases, work units are not taken in right away because the servers are either down or offline for maintenance.

You can generally increase the frequency of completed work units being taken in by making an adjustment in your Device Profiles. Under "Workunit Cache Settings" set "Connect to network about every" to 0.1. See if that helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Audentes fortuna iuvat

"Fortune favors the bold"

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by sierra_bound View Post
    An i7-920 @ 4GHz should generate at least 30,000 WCG points/day (approx. 4,285 BOINC). So if you have 5,600 BOINC points, that's very good.

In some cases, work units are not taken in right away because the servers are either down or offline for maintenance.

You can generally increase the frequency of completed work units being taken in by making an adjustment in your Device Profiles. Under "Workunit Cache Settings" set "Connect to network about every" to 0.1. See if that helps.
    The 5870 is sick at putting out BOINC PPD via Milkyway@Home. I would love to be able to use that for WCG

Xtreme Cruncher

Thanks sierra_bound, I've got it setup to update .1 days and 1 day of work (although BAM is controlling now).
    This is only my second weekend of running BOINC but it seems the unit transfer "issue?" seems to happen on weekends (maint. time?).
    I've set BAM to update every 4 hours and so far that seems to be working well.

Thanks for letting me know what my normal points should be, hoping to see more consistency now that BAM is controlling things!
    Your a GREAT help my friend, thanks.

Gotta get my new case setup and ready to go today so that when the new i7-860 rig arrives I can just pop in the mobo/CPU and start crunching. Running 6 gigs of RAM in each machine should should be sufficient on x64 systems, right?
    The upcoming week is hell week ( 6x12 hr shifts in 7 days) and she has to be crunching by Friday !!!
    Biggest issue to date, keeping the temperature down in my home office! Dust everywhere as I have to leave the window open and we've had howling winds

John

Xtreme Legend
    Heat during summer is always an issue. Where I live, the temperature sometimes goes above 100F (38C). It gets very warm in my computer room at home.

During the weekends, the work unit validation process often slows down. Could be maintenance-related. A computer does the validation work. Team numbers are often lower on weekends, especially for corporate teams because a lot of work computers have probably been turned off.
    Audentes fortuna iuvat

@sierra_bound: I like those settings. I've updated mine as well. I can see the benefit of having 3 days worth of work, just in case that host isnt connected to the internet, it can still crunch.

Xtreme Legend
    Some long-term members keep a 2-3 day cache of work units in case the servers should be down for an extended period of time. That happened several years ago.

Even though BOINC is always connected to the servers, the line only opens up at specific intervals. You can adjust the length of those intervals with that setting in Device Profiles.
    Audentes fortuna iuvat

Xtreme Legend
    I've posted a separate thread on this. But thought it might be worth mentioning here. The Human Proteome 2 project has been known to cause errors. I would suggest unchecking it in your Device Profiles section, unless you are not getting errors.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=250673
    Audentes fortuna iuvat

Xtreme Member
    Can some one shed some light on this?

It doesn't want to get new tasks even though it's out

Xtreme crazy bastid
    Make sure you didn't accidentally select "No new tasks" in the Projects tab.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Member
    Thanks for reply but that was the first thing I checked, even toggled it to see if that would "unstick" it.

If I'm lucky it'll reset when the WCG updates like it did last time, not sure why that keeps happening to this system though.
    Last edited by Red Maw; 04-27-2010 at 07:59 PM.

Xtreme crazy bastid
    Are you getting a lot of errors from that system perhaps? I would expect to see a message about quota, but just the same it's worth looking.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Member
    this might sound like a stupid question but if i ran my i7@3.6ghz 24/7 is there anyway of telling how long it will last using wcg with 100% load im only using 1.15v on the cpu max temp 65c and i think 1.26v qpi and 1.2v vtt
    i cant remember at the mo have not gone into bios to check it out

ps i think i have put in 6 days of wcg so far
    Points Generated (Rank) 24,838 (#280,794) but its not been on for 6 days solid i dont know how it works but thats what it says
    thanks

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by rubber5 View Post
    this might sound like a stupid question but if i ran my i7@3.6ghz 24/7 is there anyway of telling how long it will last using wcg with 100% load im only using 1.15v on the cpu max temp 65c and i think 1.26v qpi and 1.2v vtt
    i cant remember at the mo have not gone into bios to check it out

ps i think i have put in 6 days of wcg so far
    Points Generated (Rank) 24,838 (#280,794) but its not been on for 6 days solid i dont know how it works but thats what it says
    thanks
    I have some computers that have been crunching WCG non-stop for three and a half years. All the systems are overclocked at least 40%. The only problem I have had was a stick of RAM that went bad.
    Audentes fortuna iuvat

Hello all. Is it wise to check all projects when you are logged into WCG in your profile? Or are you guys going to be focusing on only certain types of projects? For me I have SETI going and i have WCG projects all checked, thanks.

Xtreme Legend
    Some people have had problems with the Human Promteome 2 project.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=250673

When you register at WCG, you are given all the main projects by default. Some people here prefer to run just one or two projects.

This is a look at the projects our team has run or is running. The two most popular ones are Help Conquer Cancer and FightAIDS@Home. Some of the projects you see listed below have been completed and are no longer available.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Audentes fortuna iuvat

Xtreme Member
    I have some computers that have been crunching WCG non-stop for three and a half years. All the systems are overclocked at least 40%. The only problem I have had was a stick of RAM that went bad.
    wow i realy dont want to know about the electric bills (huge)
    i cant beleve there is peapole on here that just use the pc just to crunch all the time i only have 1 rig so if i want to play games on it i have to stop wcg otherwist my games run really bad
    but none the less i will be crunching if im downloading or just browsing the net
    happy crunching

Xtreme Legend
    Yes, my electricity bills are high. But I can afford it. Some people donate to charity every month. I donate my time and money to science and the utility company.

Some of the people in my neighborhood have very big homes. If you ask them about their power bills, they just roll their eyes. It's even worse for people with swimming pools. Heating and maintaining a pool will really drive up your power bill.
    Audentes fortuna iuvat

Xtreme Member
    Yes, my electricity bills are high. But I can afford it. Some people donate to charity every month. I donate my time and money to science and the utility company.

Some of the people in my neighborhood have very big homes. If you ask them about their power bills, they just roll their eyes. It's even worse for people with swimming pools. Heating and maintaining a pool will really drive up your power bill.
    that it true if you can do it then do it i wish i lived in a better country i really hate the uk everything is just so expencive
    just as example my cpu,cpu cooler,motherbord and memory cost me a little over £600 converting it in to dollers that will set you back $1200
    but if you bught it in america it will be $600
    its stupid thay bring something out and all thay do it change the currancy from $ to £ at the end of the day it cost me 2x the ammout you can get it for
    in america so annoying
    sorry im rambling you have to smile dont you at the end of the day

Xtreme Legend
    Not everyone has such a high opinion of America. I lived and worked in London for a year, so I know how expensive things are in the UK, especially in that city. Half my paycheck went to taxes. But I had a great time while I was there.
    Audentes fortuna iuvat

I finally bumped up the CPU utilization to 100%. Should see a slight increase from me.

Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 31011121314151623 ... LastLast