Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1522232425

Thread: Everything You Need To Know About World Community Grid/BOINC

Quote Originally Posted by rubber5 View Post
    ok guys i have had an upgrade i have gone from a 3570k to a 3770k im really wanting to run 4.5ghz but im a little worried about temps.
    Im getting on average 75-80c with 100% with wcg with cpuid using 1.272 but i was wondering wold you guys run this overclock or wold you back it off
    i can run 4.2ghz with a max core temp of 72c
    ps this is for games as well so i can leave the clock speed alone
    what do you think?
    At 4.2GHz what is your vcore? I ask cuz I can get 4.4GHz at 1.116V but if i go up to 4.5GHz I've got to bump up the vcore to 1.2xx and she runs a lil warm. When do you have to start bumping up the vcore? I know all chips OC differ, just trying to help.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by the1320god View Post
    At 4.2GHz what is your vcore? I ask cuz I can get 4.4GHz at 1.116V but if i go up to 4.5GHz I've got to bump up the vcore to 1.2xx and she runs a lil warm. When do you have to start bumping up the vcore? I know all chips OC differ, just trying to help.
    my 3770k needs 1.15v for 4.2ghz 1.25v for 4.4ghz and 1.33v for 4.5ghz

my cpu likes volts must be a bad batch for overclocking but my 3770k has been de-lidded and liquid pro applied on the die
    im using arctic silver 5 on the ihs and my h60 keeps it maxes out at 83c but my fans are low
    plus im upgrading to a h100i soon so im hoping that will help with temps

i have even tried 1.4v for 4.6 but its not stable and im not going over 1.4v for ivy

seems like your cpu is better than mine if your temps are under 85c your fine (that's my safe temps)

just run a 60hrs strait on world community grid at 4.5ghz max temp is 79c with no probs

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Hello guys,

It is difficult to compare cooling performance without knowing the ambient room temperature, the inner case temp and the type of HSF used to cool the CPU.

I operate a 3770K crunching rig within a Corsair Vengeance C-70 case enclosure with a Gigabyte 7950 Xfire setup. I use a Corsair H80i HSF to cool the 3770k CPU, it is set up to pull in outside air into the case. The ambient room temp runs 18 to 22 deg C and the inner case temp of 34 to 38 deg C. CPU runs @ 4.5 with a core Temps range from 62 to 68 deg C at full WCG crunching load (20 concurrent ATI_hcc WUs) with a 1.26v CPU core.

If you can try lowering your CPU core temp to < 70 deg C by reducing a combination of lower ambient room temp, lower inner case temp and/or fitting a better HSF onto your 3770K CPUs.

FYC,
    Jean-Guy
    Last edited by jeanguy2; 04-19-2013 at 07:48 AM.

HWiNFO Author
    I'm running an i7-3820 @ 4.2 GHz, the same Corsair H80i, but blowing air from inside the case to outside and the max CPU package temp at full load is 62 C. However, my VRs are running quite hot, so I changed the top fan to pull from outside to inside at the VRs (that reduced their temp from 92 to ~82 C).
    Last edited by Mumak; 04-19-2013 at 11:56 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mumak View Post
    I'm running an i7-3820 @ 3.4 GHz, the same Corsair H80i, but blowing air from inside the case to outside and the max CPU package temp at full load is 62 C. However, my VRs are running quite hot, so I changed the top fan to pull from outside to inside at the VRs (that reduced their temp from 92 to ~82 C).
    You might want to check your air flow m8.
    That seems quite hot if you can hold your finger on the vrs i take it your talking about the voltage regulators and keep your finger on them for 30 secs you might have a problem with the heat pads or something you cpu is not even running at stock your under clocking its ment to run at 3.6ghz unless its turbo but you defo have a problem there im my eyes

HWiNFO Author
    Sorry, I made a mistake - it's running @ 4.2 GHz. But anyway, the VRs are quite hot, though they are specified to run up-to 150 C.
    It's an ASRock X79 Extreme3 board and the VRs (CHL8328) have only a passive heatsink.

Quote Originally Posted by rubber5 View Post
    my 3770k needs 1.15v for 4.2ghz 1.25v for 4.4ghz and 1.33v for 4.5ghz

my cpu likes volts must be a bad batch for overclocking but my 3770k has been de-lidded and liquid pro applied on the die
    im using arctic silver 5 on the ihs and my h60 keeps it maxes out at 83c but my fans are low
    plus im upgrading to a h100i soon so im hoping that will help with temps

i have even tried 1.4v for 4.6 but its not stable and im not going over 1.4v for ivy

seems like your cpu is better than mine if your temps are under 85c your fine (that's my safe temps)

just run a 60hrs strait on world community grid at 4.5ghz max temp is 79c with no probs
    i think once you upgrade to the h100i, that should help a great deal. as long as the room temp/case temps as jeanguy2 stated are good, hopefully that will get u a lil more out of ur chip. my case temp is 30c, room temp is 25C, and im running a air cooler on mine.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by the1320god View Post
    i think once you upgrade to the h100i, that should help a great deal. as long as the room temp/case temps as jeanguy2 stated are good, hopefully that will get u a lil more out of ur chip. my case temp is 30c, room temp is 25C, and im running a air cooler on mine.
    i was thinking i can get more out my cpu but i tried to run 4.6ghz but even at 1.4v its not stable and under ivy bridge anything between 1.3 and 1.4v is ok but it might still degrade the chip so i will have to be happy with 4.5ghz
    its fast enough and i know i am pushing this chip to its limits

Xtreme Member
    i know the x79 chips use more watts so it sounds normal then but lets face it some motherboards in the past can run so much hotter and they still work today lol and they are about 10 years old

Xtreme Legend
    Having Borked this once and then done a fresh install, what is the correct way to go from say Linux Mint 14 to Linux Mint 15 ??

I read a few things but am unclear about the true difference between "apt-get dist-upgrade" (together with -dy or -u, what are these?) and "aptitude full-upgrade"

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    Having Borked this once and then done a fresh install, what is the correct way to go from say Linux Mint 14 to Linux Mint 15 ??

I read a few things but am unclear about the true difference between "apt-get dist-upgrade" (together with -dy or -u, what are these?) and "aptitude full-upgrade"
    I am interested in this. I"ve been thinking about upgrading to LM15.
    Desktop rigs:
    Oysterhead- Intel i5-2320 CPU@3.0Ghz, Zalman 9500AT2, 8Gb Patriot 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM, 120Gb Kingston V200+ SSD, 1Tb Seagate HD, Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit, LG 330W PSU

Flying Frog Brigade-Intel Xeon W3520@2.66Ghz, 6Gb Hynix 1066Mhz DDR3 RAM, 640Gb Hitachi HD, 512Mb GDDR5 AMD HD4870, Mac OSX 10.6.8/Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon dual boot

Laptop:
    Colonel Claypool-Intel T6600 Core 2 Duo, 4Gb 1066Mhz DDR3 RAM, 1Gb GDDR3 Nvidia 230M,240Gb Edge SATA6 SSD, Windows 7 Home 64 bit

this is what man says about it

upgrade
    upgrade is used to install the newest versions of all packages currently installed on the system from the sources enumerated in /etc/apt/sources.list. Packages currently installed with new versions available are
    retrieved and upgraded; under no circumstances are currently installed packages removed, or packages not already installed retrieved and installed. New versions of currently installed packages that cannot be upgraded
    without changing the install status of another package will be left at their current version. An update must be performed first so that apt-get knows that new versions of packages are available.

dist-upgrade
    dist-upgrade in addition to performing the function of upgrade, also intelligently handles changing dependencies with new versions of packages; apt-get has a "smart" conflict resolution system, and it will attempt to
    upgrade the most important packages at the expense of less important ones if necessary. The dist-upgrade command may therefore remove some packages. The /etc/apt/sources.list file contains a list of locations from
    which to retrieve desired package files. See also apt_preferences(5) for a mechanism for overriding the general settings for individual packages.
    -dy -d Download only -y say YES to everything
    -u print out a list of all packages that are to be upgraded.

edit: also, just want to remind you that if it's not broken, don't fix it
    Last edited by Evantaur; 07-03-2013 at 02:15 PM.

I like large posteriors and I cannot prevaricate

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Evantaur View Post

.......also, just want to remind you that if it's not broken, don't fix it
    I was looking to see why I cannot run ram at anything like decent timings with the current bios and I had a "pull the battery" cmos event

Once it was finally booting again the old Mint install would not play..... I just got Mint 15 on and psensor running and did an hour or two of prime, so I can get WCG up again tomorrow.

I expect that to be thee last time I touch it for a while unless or until another gpu project comes along.

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.

I was looking to see why I cannot run ram at anything like decent timings with the current bios and I had a "pull the battery" cmos event

Once it was finally booting again the old Mint install would not play..... I just got Mint 15 on and psensor running and did an hour or two of prime, so I can get WCG up again tomorrow.

I expect that to be thee last time I touch it for a while unless or until another gpu project comes along.
    did you update your date and time from bios after that

linux goes quantum if it has files from 2013 and bios shows it's 2012, had this happening with one of my old cruncher

I like large posteriors and I cannot prevaricate

Xtreme Member

wcg projects

i was wondering whats happening there are only 2 projects i can do now and i was wondering when there will be giving us more i like to see the gold medals since the projects that i have done but all of them are finished and now i cant get any more

Xtreme Member

32bit WUs on 64bit platform?

I'm running Win7-64, Boinc 64bit and currently doing work for Mapping Cancer Markers only.

I just noticed a couple running WUs are 32bit.
    Is it normal to get 32bit WUs when your OS and Boinc are both 64-bit?

Xtreme crazy bastid
    Windows 64bit can handle 32bit stuff no problem since it comes with all the 32bit stuff included. The BOINC client is really just a wrapper to run the various science applications. Normally you will get 64bit stuff in preference to 32bit on a 64bit system, but not always so for your setup this is nothing unusual. Currently I'm getting CEP2 units on my 64bit linux rig. The difference being that I don't have 32bit anything installed on my system. I've spent some time checking this to be sure nothing snuck in as I've always intended this to be a pure 64bit machine ... and yet I'm getting 32bit CEP2 units and they're running properly.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Member
    OK Thanks!

Xtreme Legend
    Thought this would fit in here....

Posted by Lavaflow at WCG under the title:

Use boinctasks to prepare for a boot with one or multiple cep2 running!

Saw this in the check-in notes for version 1.64:

1.64 September 2014

New: Suspend at checkpoint. Suspends a task after a checkpoint. Checkpoint column must be active.
    Fixed: Project tab, some projects show ?? in the Project and Team rank column. Added stats/stats.xml for master url to url used conversion.

This allows to suspend one/more/all tasks at checkpoint, right click selection for 'suspend at checkpoint', before a planned boot. On hyperthreaded machines the remaining tasks will one by one actually start running faster, for each thread that's is being stopped till equal or or less than maximum threads.

Think before you do this all 'ready to start' cep2 work units need to be suspended too, action to be reversed after the boot is complete.

Alternately, pick up other work with short checkpointing to fill the threads where the cep2 are being suspended, then boot for least loss and maximum utilization till right before.

Maybe there's other scenarios to use this function, but this jumped right at me.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Hello fellow crunchers, dinosaurs and Dave.

It started to get chilly around here, and wondered what to do about heating.

Stumbled upon old install of Boinc, aaaaand I?m back..

Quick question any difference between latest BOINC and official WCG version?
    i5 3570k | Asus Z77-V Dlx | 16Gb 2400 HyperX Pred | ASUS 6950 2Gb DCuII | X-fi Titanium | Samsung SA350
    Corsair AX860i | Hyperx 3k 120Gb,i520 120Gb,320 7200.11,2x2Tb WdB | Corsair H80i | Antec P280 | win7 x64

Xtreme Cruncher
    Hey Oc-Ghost. Just wanted to say back.

Glad to have your help!

As far as your question I will let others answer that as I do not know. Berkeley does not seem to list the 7.2.47 version that WCG has offered. I looked through Wiki and Release notes and found nothing. Hopefully someone else will know and chime in. I am using 7.2.42 on my Windows PCs.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quick question any difference between latest BOINC and official WCG version?
    There is very little difference between the BOINC 7.2.42 and the WCG 7.2.47 releases. With WCG 7.2.47, BOINC icons are switched to the new WCG icons on your desktop and within the BOINC manager. Except for minor cosmetic icon changes and WCG links, the WCG version 7.2.47 of BOINC manager looks and feel the same as BOINC 7.2.42. WCG 7.2.47 could include some interim developmental fixes but I cannot find a change log for it. See this link for further info: http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/forum...500522#1500522

In summary, the WCG BOINC 7.2.47 application is a cute WCG promotional version of the BOINC 7.2.42 application that is likely aimed at making the setup experience of first time contributors to WCG and DC a little more easier and less confusing. I run WCG BOINC 7.2.47 on 4 rigs and have no problems processing WCG or Einstein@Home WUs.
    Last edited by jeanguy2; 10-15-2014 at 11:43 AM.

Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1522232425