Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: Everything You Need To Know About World Community Grid/BOINC

The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Mentor
    Welcome Chispy, we all know your great with LN2 for a couple hours nice to see you here trying your luck here

Xtreme Member
    Good day, gentlemen, I have just read the thread and my e-mail message, and I am quite confused.I have registered and downloaded teh necessary stuff, I just do not know If I would be of any help with my machine.Although Bulgaria has confirmed to have the world`s most expensive electricity, I think I can participate, but I do not know if my PC shall make any difference, it is nothing too powerful- Intel Q6600 @ 3888 on air, stable, 4GB DDR 2 RAM and Gigabyte Radeon 4770?

Xtreme crazy bastid
    EVERY machine makes a difference, that's the point. It's the sum total of ALL of us put together that is achieving incredible things, not any one person on their own. If you return just one result a day, that's one result that wouldn't have been returned if you hadn't contributed. EVERY machine counts!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banned
    Im in have a 980X and W3680 both 6 core loaded for some action can give up max for ya.

Xtreme Member
    Hi.

I got that email about the week in may and am thinking about doing this for that week, I've not got much powerful PC though, E8500 @ 4Ghz, I have a laptop as well with a T6500 2.1Ghz.

Can't graphics cards like a ATi 4870 do crunching too?

And this maxes the PC out 100%, is it as taxing as those stress tests like Prime 95? My PC is stable for stuff like gaming and all that, and can do Orthos all day, but it's not IBT stable.

I'd not be able to keep my laptop on for a week constantly though as I take it to college.

Thanks
    Will.

Xtreme Member
    :O

Been a while since I've been on XS, but i think i'll have to assemble the 2-3 machines work of parts i have lying around for a week
    Will get to it over the weekend!
    CPU: E8400 E0 (Cooled By OCZ Vendetta 2) @ 4.3ghz/1.296vcore
    Motherboard: GB EP45-DS4P BIOS F8
    Memory: OCZ DDR2 PC2-8500 (1066mhz) 2x2gig - & Corsair Dominator RAM cooler
    Graphic: PowerColor PCS+ HD4890
    HDD: 2x WD 640GB, 1x Maxtor 180GB

I live in Australia... I have limits on how much I can upload and download per month. Can anyone direct me to to some info so I can figure out how much it's going to use to do this?

Cheers.

Back from the Dead
    Quote Originally Posted by Willhub View Post
    Hi.

I got that email about the week in may and am thinking about doing this for that week, I've not got much powerful PC though, E8500 @ 4Ghz, I have a laptop as well with a T6500 2.1Ghz.

Can't graphics cards like a ATi 4870 do crunching too?

And this maxes the PC out 100%, is it as taxing as those stress tests like Prime 95? My PC is stable for stuff like gaming and all that, and can do Orthos all day, but it's not IBT stable.

I'd not be able to keep my laptop on for a week constantly though as I take it to college.

Thanks
    Will.
    Hi Will,

unfortunately WCG is CPU-only for the moment.
    And yes, it will load all your CPU cores to 100%, but it's not as stressful as prime, let alone Linpack. So your temps and power consumption will be a little lower than when running prime95, IBT, Orthos etc.
    If you can pass prime you can crunch fine

Quote Originally Posted by Jembo View Post
    I live in Australia... I have limits on how much I can upload and download per month. Can anyone direct me to to some info so I can figure out how much it's going to use to do this?

Cheers.
    Bandwidth is a nonissue really. Depending on your machine(s) you can estimate 20-50MB total traffic for a week. More like 20 unless you have a small farm
    World Community Grid - come join a great team and help us fight for a better tomorrow![size=1]

Xtreme Cruncher
    I'm in with work computer: e6750. Can't OC it as its on stock heatsink but hey, every MHz counts
    SB 2600K
    MSI P67A-GD65

8GB 1600/CL8
    GTX580
    64GB SSD
    4TB
    Xonar DX
    BeQuiet Straight Power 680W sleeved
    in
    Cosmos 1000, modded
    TC PA120.3+XSPC RX240mm+XSPC RASA+DDC1T+OCLabs top+EK Multioption 150+ EK-FC580

Xtreme Cruncher
    Yep they do count

http://mato78.com - Finnish PC Hardware news & reviews
    BulldogPO @ Twitter

I just joined up (under ReLiKBrown, ReLiK was taken )

So far i have a Core i7 920@ 3.4ghz and 2x E8200s on there. Will be adding 2 more E8200s tomorrow
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Gigabyte EX58-UD3R|i7 920 @ 3.4GHz|6GB HyperX DDR3-1600|2x 1TB Caviar Black|TruePower 850W|ATI HD5870

Quote Originally Posted by jcool View Post
    Bandwidth is a nonissue really. Depending on your machine(s) you can estimate 20-50MB total traffic for a week. More like 20 unless you have a small farm
    Well, I have a Q9400 @ 3.2GHz so judging from what people write above that would be bugger all of my available bandwidth per month.

Cheers.

I joined a while back but this "supercomputer" goal seems very interesting,...

Throughout the course of this week, i will be setting up a couple of
    machines at home ....(Q9550 & Q6700, nothing fancy) and while is
    very unfortunate that WCG is CPU based only and not GPU, i will try
    as possible to load each system with at least 8Gb of ram (not sure if that will help) ... but since is only for one week, i don't mind so much for electricity consumption or even bandwidth ...

Glad to be part of such a great project & community.

Ok folks count this country boy in on this world Event.Sound like something I would not miss.
    I need at least one person tho to remind me to fire up on this day,and show the world what old blue has!
    Old Blue by the way is my PC,she not a year old yet!As well where do I get started as far as downloads?
    Thanks!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Cruncher
    Hi from Guatemala, I just joined the cause, currently crunching on Intel 8300, but when I get home I'll put the i7 to good use!
    AMD FX 8350 @ 4.4Ghz
    Corsair H60
    Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+
    8GB Mushkin Blackline @ 1800Mhz
    Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB
    Crucial C300 SSD - Bootdrive
    2 x 640GB Samsung - 1.2TB RAID 0
    800GB Western Digital Green SATAII
    Corsair TX 750
    Coolermaster HAF932 - Modded by Blackstare

Hey everyone.. I've just read the "invite" to the project, and said - what the hell, I'll try to do what I can. I've been setting up a small server which is currently waiting for some testing and such (which ain't gonna happen that soon due to lack of time), and it's nice i7 machine, sitting turned off for a month already, and going to waste :P So I'd run a client on it, but I do have a question.. Opening post says something about x64 clients, but I don't see where to get one. WCG homepage got me just a normal x86 version. I'm not crazy about digging around trying to find any.. so could you just give me a link to best x64, multi-threaded client out there, that's easy to setup in few minutes and leave on for next several weeks?

Oh, and btw, 90% of pictures in OP are saying they've been removed.. sooo... instructions are all gone :P Fix it pls?

(gonna have to OC that CPU.. but have almost no time to tinker with it too much.. any "safe bet" OCs for i7 920 with stock cooler in nice big ventilated case? .. I mean... as safe as it can be ROFL! )
    Last edited by LuxZg; 04-13-2010 at 08:34 AM. Reason: kazillion typos.. dooh!
    Intel Core 2 Duo E4400 @ 320x10 (3200MHz) w/ Scythe Ninja rev.B + 120mm fan | Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R (Intel P35 + ICH9R) | 4x 1GB Kingmax MARS DDR2 800 CL5 | Sapphire ATi Radeon HD4890 | multiple random HDDs | LG GH20NS15 SuperMulti, SATA | LG W2361V, 23“ LCD, 1920x1080 | Aplus CS-188AF case w/ 250mm side fan | onboard 7.1, with Logitech X-540 5.1 speakers | Chieftec 450W /w 120mm fan | Win 7 Enterprise 64bit

Xtreme Legend
    Welcome to all the new members.

You can find the 64-bit BOINC client here. Use the "recommended version". The "development version" is a beta and may have issues.

Once you get the client going, you don't have to do anything more. It will automatically download new work units and upload completed ones. You just have to leave your machine on 24/7. Of course, the client will stop working once you shut down your machine. It will automatically resume where it left off once you are back on the desktop.
    Last edited by sierra_bound; 04-13-2010 at 09:07 AM.
    Audentes fortuna iuvat

"Fortune favors the bold"

Not Yours!
    Hi I've just joined, crunching on i7-980x @4,2GHz and setting up an i7 920 @4,0GHz and maybe a couple of 775 PC's to help the cause. Does memory bandwith play a part in the crunching?
    It seems to me that I have four projects going can I add more if so how?

Edit! Got twelve workers now so everything looks fine, to bad I can't use the GPU's to.
    Last edited by Mydog; 04-13-2010 at 08:56 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'll join in for the supercomputer week, although just with a Phenom x4 9850BE (2,5-2,8Ghz), and maybe with my laptop with C2D @ 2Ghz. I could have been a lot more help if GPU were supported with my ATI 4870x2.
    Since we're going for aggregate flops, everything will help, right? :P

I already have BOINC installed, but have forgot where i change the team affiliation. Could anyone help me out with a link or pm with instructions?

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Mydog View Post
    Hi I've just joined, crunching on i7-980x @4,2GHz and setting up an i7 920 @4,0GHz and maybe a couple of 775 PC's to help the cause. Does memory bandwith play a part in the crunching?
    It seems to me that I have four projects going can I add more if so how?

Edit! Got twelve workers now so everything looks fine, to bad I can't use the GPU's to.
    Thanks for joining.

Memory bandwidth and timings generally don't make a difference. CPU speed is what will determine how many points you generate per day. You will generate approximately 10% more points/day using the 64-bit client.

The number of threads your CPU has also makes a difference. If, for example, you have a hexa-core CPU with 12 threads, you can process 12 work units at the same time. Many people here also use dual socket boards. Movieman has been testing an EVGA board that can run two Westmere chips. That's a total of 24 threads.

You can add or subtract projects. Go to your My Grid page at WCG site. On the left side, click on "Device Manager", then "Default". That will take you to a "Device Profiles" page. You'll see a list of available projects. Some members crunch only one project, while others do all of them.
    Last edited by sierra_bound; 04-13-2010 at 09:41 AM.
    Audentes fortuna iuvat

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'll join in for the supercomputer week, although just with a Phenom x4 9850BE (2,5-2,8Ghz), and maybe with my laptop with C2D @ 2Ghz. I could have been a lot more help if GPU were supported with my ATI 4870x2.

I already have BOINC installed, but have forgot where i change the team affiliation. Could anyone help me out with a link or pm with instructions?

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by GullLars View Post

Go to this page. Click where it says "join this team".
    Audentes fortuna iuvat

Xtreme Member
    So this is only for a week then, what next? When do we start, I do not understand anything...

I suppose when I get back from work I could switch over a couple of computers to XS' team for the time being. I am with Crunchers Inc, but could help you guys out for a while. Don't have too much to contribute, one E6700 (@ stock) and a Q6600 @ 3.2GHz. I generate between 10K to 15k a day (WCG points not BOINC points).

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast