Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I have an IDEAR

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    As much as I would love this idea to work I don't think it will.
    I think the way for us is to keep our eyes open for someone or a foundation that would offer help in cutting the electrical costs by perhaps sponsoring all or a percentage of the costs of installin solar power.
    my normal house costs for electric in the summer WITHOUT the crunchers is app $150.00/month.
    With the crunchers it's up near $360.00/month..
    That's $210.00/month in summer and app $160.00 in winter..Cut that cost and I could afford to assemble a new top machine every year just on the savings..
    solar is ridiculously expensive:http://sharpusa.cleanpowerestimator.com/sharpusa.htm
    i think it would be cool if our research discovered a drug and crunchers got some kind of company share or profits.

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chumbucket843 View Post
    solar is ridiculously expensive:http://sharpusa.cleanpowerestimator.com/sharpusa.htm
    i think it would be cool if our research discovered a drug and crunchers got some kind of company share or profits.
    I know it's expensive, thats why I want someone else to pay for it!
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Cruncher
    yeah but with the wind link you can get more people with the same money

glad i pay peanuts for electricity
    Incoming new computer after 5 long years

YOU want to FIGHT CANCER OR AIDS join us at WCG and help to have a better FUTURE

of the Strawhat crew.
    How much energy does wind power make compared to solar in general? I know it depends on the wind speed.

XtremeSystems BF3 Platoon - Any XS member is welcome.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    That's the whole point of this thread
    SOGOs > BOGOs

Live Long And Overclock
    In Ontario, Canada, you can now buy Solar panels and sell unused energy back to the Hydro company here for a profit.

Dunno if this is the case anywhere else.

Perkam

of the Strawhat crew.
    Quote Originally Posted by perkam View Post
    In Ontario, Canada, you can now buy Solar panels and sell unused energy back to the Hydro company here for a profit.

Dunno if this is the case anywhere else.

Perkam
    It's the case in most areas as far as I know. I think in the US there's a law that makes them have to buy up to a certain amount but I'm not for sure.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by mreuter80 View Post
    Forget about solar ... this is to expensive. I'd rather look into Windenergy. I recently read about a new wind turbine which is small enough to be used in the city or town, runs on low wind speeds, absolutely quiet and prices may drop quickly when it hits the market (I hope this is soon in the US).
    Here is a link to the company: http://www.quietrevolution.co.uk/qr5.htm
    I'm definitely waiting for this one - not only because of crunching ...
    I am not sure on most states but here in Wisconsin you would need to file a permit with the DNR(Department of Natural Resources) and that have to see how it will affect all the wildlife and perform an extensive study, takes about 1-2 years to have them do that and then when you get the go ahead from the DNR then you have to hold town meetings on the proposed location. From what I have seen everyone loves the idea but they don't want it close to them, the not in my backyard. There is a wind farm down by where my grandma is and they had started this back in the 90's and took almost 5 years to get the ok from the DNR the town meetings for the surrounding areas were fun to attend as well lots of people up in arms because its going to tip over and kill all the birds when their migrating. all that had to be settled before the construction could start. But it has become easier to add to them and since the first one is environmentally friendly and has been there for 10+ years, I believe its sustainable.

Since wind cost much more then solar and you don't have to check with your local municipalities its therefore easier, in my simple little mind.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamekiller View Post
    How much energy does wind power make compared to solar in general? I know it depends on the wind speed.
    dont know much but: how much space on the roof you are planning to use the power of the solar panels, if there are many efficiency differences between models ... what I ve read is that wind energy is more buck-wise

I have a nice plan but the meds are kicking in and dont feel like doing a long post at this moment..
    I like the idea.. I love you guys
    "Study hard my young friend"[/B].
    ---------------------------------------
    Woody: It's not a laser! It's a... [sighs in frustration]

of the Strawhat crew.
    I've been planning to build a wind turbine from scratch but it would only do DC power which could be inverted to AC but only for smaller items.

Something I though of: Solar panels might reflex the heat off of your roof and thus reducing indoor cooling needs?

Xtreme Cruncher
    They don't have to be DC, and in fact I think it is supposed to be more efficient to use AC. It's just more work to build an alternator than to use a DC motor.

I'm almost always available on Steam to chat. Same username.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Slinky View Post
    I am not sure on most states but here in Wisconsin you would need to file a permit with the DNR(Department of Natural Resources) and that have to see how it will affect all the wildlife and perform an extensive study, takes about 1-2 years to have them do that and then when you get the go ahead from the DNR then you have to hold town meetings on the proposed location. From what I have seen everyone loves the idea but they don't want it close to them, the not in my backyard. There is a wind farm down by where my grandma is and they had started this back in the 90's and took almost 5 years to get the ok from the DNR the town meetings for the surrounding areas were fun to attend as well lots of people up in arms because its going to tip over and kill all the birds when their migrating. all that had to be settled before the construction could start. But it has become easier to add to them and since the first one is environmentally friendly and has been there for 10+ years, I believe its sustainable.

Since wind cost much more then solar and you don't have to check with your local municipalities its therefore easier, in my simple little mind.
    Yes, you are right, regular wind turbines might have an impact on wild life. But keep in mind the turbine I referenced is made for towns, can have a cage around it, so no bird could actually fly into it and get killed. It is quiet and it diameter is very small compared to the regular windmills.
    Well, as long it is not available in the US I don't need to think to much about it.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I thought of having a closed/locked community DC ( data center) so we can prove that we are not using it for other purpose.. everything would be managed via remote access and if hardware smashed we got f... it would be cool each to have his own comp in the DC :P

Back from the Dead
    Wind sucks.. I have been looking to get a solar panel for my parent's house, something that would generate around 3kw/h costs like 10000€ with governmental aids, not that bad really. Unfortunately the roof area is too small, the houses' positioning is less than ideal to mount a larger solar array...
    World Community Grid - come join a great team and help us fight for a better tomorrow![size=1]

version 2.0
    Quote Originally Posted by jcool View Post
    Wind sucks..
    no , it blows

Back from the Dead
    Yeah right.
    World Community Grid - come join a great team and help us fight for a better tomorrow![size=1]

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by jcool View Post
    Wind sucks.. I have been looking to get a solar panel for my parent's house, something that would generate around 3kw/h costs like 10000€ with governmental aids, not that bad really. Unfortunately the roof area is too small, the houses' positioning is less than ideal to mount a larger solar array...
    down here the same stuff would actually cost the same but with one or two more zeros (ballparking)

edit: after reading this: I understand more stuff about solar energy ( and why in germany is so damn cheap to have solar energy )
    Last edited by Duh; 08-02-2009 at 04:49 PM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Duh View Post
    down here the same stuff would actually cost the same but with one or two more zeros (ballparking)

edit: after reading this: I understand more stuff about solar energy ( and why in germany is so damn cheap to have solar energy )
    I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure they substudize it like the US is starting to do. (30% tax exemption on up to $5000 per year for things that make your house more efficent - wonder if crunchers count...? )

But now that I'm thinking about it... We might be able to pull a lesson from Naja and his Geo loop and be able to count it for tax credit, or set it up to where our computers heat our house in the winter and claim $1500 off of our taxes if we spend the $5000 on computers and radiators... Worth looking into anyone?

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Otis11 View Post
    I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure they substudize it like the US is starting to do. (30% tax exemption on up to $5000 per year for things that make your house more efficent - wonder if crunchers count...? )

But now that I'm thinking about it... We might be able to pull a lesson from Naja and his Geo loop and be able to count it for tax credit, or set it up to where our computers heat our house in the winter and claim $1500 off of our taxes if we spend the $5000 on computers and radiators... Worth looking into anyone?
    Yep ... and in Germany the energy giants must take your electricity for a fixed price (which is of course higher than you would actually be able to produce from Solar) - that makes it so tempting in Germany. Here in the US I haven't seen the "fixed" price

Crunch-Fu Adept
    I would very much welcome any sort of electricity fund, because the frackin bill prevented me from building another cruncher
    Sometimes a good slap in the face is all you need

Bios my arss.....
    I can fix this problem with a hardware mod....
    Hipro5

"Overclock till death. Overclocking is life." Hipro5

Xtreme Enthusiast
    First off sorry for diggin up an old thread but i had another idear and thought I might just continue this thread rather than clutter up with a new one lol. Here's what it is:

I saw this Joulemeter from Microsoft and it hit that we might use the software electricity meter capability to prove what electricity we used for what DC program. Maybe it's not the answer but maybe it's a start in the right direction? I would like to see something happen along these lines if we can...if not, I believe its still worth crunching, folding etc. anyway lol. But if we can write off mileage for business [usually you just state what miles you drove for work right?] why can't we figure out a way to write off electricity usage?
    SOGOs > BOGOs

Xtreme Cruncher
    WCG is not a registered charity so that pretty much shoots down any chance from getting a tax break out of crunching.
    i7 3970X @ 4500MHz 1.28v
    Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    4x4GB Corsair Dominator GT 2133MHz 9-11-10-27
    Gigabyte Windforce 7970 OC 3-way Crossfire
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64
    HK 3.0-MCP655-Phobya 400mm rad
    Corsair AX1200i
    Sandisk Exrtreme 240GB
    3x2TB WD Greens for storage
    TT Armor VA8003SWA

Xtreme Enthusiast
    well that stinks. Looks like I have to make a few political phone calls and see if WCg is willing to change this. Long shot but why not? I've wasted my time on worse things lol
    SOGOs > BOGOs

Xtreme Member
    I kinda like the idea of Wind Energy. But I'm not sold on one specific type at any time. A combination of Wind and Solar sounds like a good idea to me. Especially since I live in OK. A handful of solar panels, and a few wind turbines out to produce quite a bit. I'm mostly concerned about hail shattering the solar panels.
    ==========================================
    XClio 1000, Gigabye GA-MA790XT-UD4P
    AMD Phenom II 955BE @3.2 GHz, Noctua NH-D14
    CORSAIR 950TX 950W, 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600
    Sapphire 4850x2 CFX
    Win7 Ultimate

Quote Originally Posted by stangracin3 View Post
    and the more i type the more BS comes out of my keyboard. LOL

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by mreuter80 View Post
    Forget about solar ... this is to expensive.
    Yes it is expensive, but some of the bigger Companies could easily fit it into their marketing budget and not only claim they support the fight against Cancer but on top of that use it as part of their Green Marketing strategy they all keep talking about.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12