Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have an IDEAR

Xtreme Enthusiast

I have an IDEAR

Oh noes, Chris has an idear...well, a lengthy telephone conversation with Dave actually was my unwitting partner-in-crime serving as inspiration for the idea. Yes, you should be scared. If you are faint of heart, please, read no further.

Dave and I were discussing WCG and things and we were discussing our hope for breakthroughs on the various projects, especially cancer; when something hit me. We can recruit all we want but what about the members we lose becasue they had to sell off their rigs or cease crunching because the electric bill was too high?

I propose that some sort of tax incentive be granted to those who donate cpu time. Why not? You can measure how much work is done and calculate the draw of the rig, why can't we write off cpu cycles just like you can clothes at goodwill? I only expect energy prices to increase which should have a very negative impact on the DC community. Surely, IBM, WCG, Stanford and the rest have some kind of gov't pull?

Secondly, I think it would be interesting to explore the idea of creating a nonprofit so we can write off our PC purchases that we use for WCG or any DC project. I'm not a lawyer nor do I understand the implications and diffculties of such a venture but I think it's at least worth discussing.

The simple goal of these ideas is to create discussion on how to make crunching easier so we can keep up the work or add more work. I think its time for a massive final push as Dave thinks the researcher s are close and I hoipe he's right. If he's wrong don't tell me

Let me know what you guys and gals think. Maybe its a pipedream but Who Dares Wins
    SOGOs > BOGOs

Xtreme Member
    Now that is a great idear! I know I'd be putting some more stuff to work but I can't afford the power to do the job. I mean, we are helping to do the research that is so desperately needed for a good cause. Why not find a way for us to get a little recognition/help in doing so? As long as you put some kind of verification into it to show that we are using the funds toward the intended uses than I don't see why it couldn't work.

What kind of work needs to get done to make something like this happen?

Xtreme Cruncher
    We where talking about this at the local hangout the other evening that there has to be a way to do this, one of the older more knowledgeable gentlemen there was supposed to check on it for me but I have not heard anything. They were talking about some kind of non profit status. I wish I knew how exactly.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'm pretty sure we should circulate an e-mail to all DC volunteers. There is strength in numbers, especially with petitions. I/we/somebody should contact the DC heads at Stanford, WCG etc. and see if they jump aboard and lend support and resources. As far a snon=profit that would mean getting a lawyer for incorporation and probabaly an accountant too.

I would focus on the tax break first. Why? Becasue when you drive around for work you can claim mileage expense. The IRS decides what you get per mile and a sum results that is a writeoff. The metrics are all ready there for verification, the utilities are regulated somewhat in what they can charge per kWh, no? I do hope others chime in and together we can something rolling.

This isn't just for WCG, this can hopefulkly be extended to all worthy DC projects pending gov't approval.

EDIT: The nonprofit status will be tricky as hell do to non-profit status which is treated like a c-corp but not taxed and some other perks/designations. The problem is we all own our own stuff and we should retain ownership. Maybe a sort of lend lease for cpu time could resolve that issue. Wish I had a law degree lol
    Last edited by CmB; 07-26-2009 at 07:04 PM.
    SOGOs > BOGOs

Xtreme Legend
    Non-profit status just exempts that organization from having to pay federal income taxes and in some cases state and property taxes. It doesn't mean it can write off or deduct any and every expense. People donating money to a non-profit can qualify for tax deductions. But the deductions have to be verifiable. The biggest problem with electricity usage is proving to the government that X-amount went to crunching. Same is true for computer hardware. How is the government to know if a machine is used exclusively for crunching? Many of the research organizations involved in DC have non-profit status.
    Audentes fortuna iuvat

"Fortune favors the bold"

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by sierra_bound View Post
    Non-profit status just exempts that organization from having to pay federal income taxes and in some cases state and property taxes. It doesn't mean it can write off or deduct any and every expense. People donating money to a non-profit can qualify for tax deductions. But the deductions have to be verifiable. The biggest problem with electricity usage is proving to the government that X-amount went to crunching. Same is true for computer hardware. How is the government to know if a machine is used exclusively for crunching? Many of the research organizations involved in DC have non-profit status.
    Thank you for clarifying. I knew but am bloody tired and not thinking well. You're right about the validation of the electricity used for crunching but I'm sure someone brighter than I am will figure it out. Maybe a a penny a WU or some IRS given amount. that way you just hav eto validate your work and there plenty of reporting on results right? And yeah, I'm only thinking in terms of the US, I have no clue what to do about other countries.
    SOGOs > BOGOs

Xtreme Enthusiast
    If an organization like this were ever created, I can guarantee you that I would form a local chapter and get people involved. There would be components of both computer learning and cancer education that would draw in people.

However, the REAL benefit would be the number of enthusiasts who already build and overclock machines who aren't crunching. They already have the investment and the expertise to do this. If there were a tax incentive, I am certain there would be an explosion on cpu hours due to these people putting their computers to good use. They would be able to justify and support doing much more extensive projects in a hobby they already love! You would see people getting their machines out of the closet, setting them up, and plugging them into the grid.

I hope sometimes like this can happen.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Do the have electrical sub meters that I could put in for my cruncher room or would that even work?

Xtreme Legend
    The biggest problem is proving your computers and electricity are being used exclusively or mostly for DC. As you can imagine, the possibility of abuse is high. The guy who does my taxes says home office deductions, in particular, send up giant red flags at the IRS.
    Audentes fortuna iuvat

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by sierra_bound View Post
    The biggest problem is proving your computers and electricity are being used exclusively or mostly for DC. As you can imagine, the possibility of abuse is high. The guy who does my taxes says home office deductions, in particular, send up giant red flags at the IRS.
    Yea I bet they do send up red flags, hell what doesn't now a days if you fart a flag goes up...

Xtreme Legend
    Folding@home has non-profit status because of its affiliation with Stanford. I may be wrong but I don't think WCG is a non-profit. As I mentioned earlier, the research projects are usually non-profit. And I'm sure IBM gets a big fat tax deduction for providing the servers.
    Audentes fortuna iuvat

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    As much as I would love this idea to work I don't think it will.
    I think the way for us is to keep our eyes open for someone or a foundation that would offer help in cutting the electrical costs by perhaps sponsoring all or a percentage of the costs of installin solar power.
    my normal house costs for electric in the summer WITHOUT the crunchers is app $150.00/month.
    With the crunchers it's up near $360.00/month..
    That's $210.00/month in summer and app $160.00 in winter..Cut that cost and I could afford to assemble a new top machine every year just on the savings..
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    True, I all ways thought it was a pipe dream. But my hope is discussion and propagation of the issue will lead to a good solution. I mean don't we even have a clean energy project for the enviromental folks. Let's hit up the Sierra Club lol
    SOGOs > BOGOs

of the Strawhat crew.
    I've seen it talked about a lot on the WCG forums. I like the idea it just seems out of reach.

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/fo...d?thread=26182

XtremeSystems BF3 Platoon - Any XS member is welcome.

Live Long And Overclock
    Frankly, irrespective of what WCG says, if people can make their refrigerators tax deductible because they work at home ( ), there SHOULD be a way to do this.

Various loopholes exist for this. For example, imagine leasing/donating your computers to a library or a charity such as AA to use and all the while its running WCG on it. Then, not only can you claim electricity charges, you can claim the entire computer as tax deductible.

It could be a non-profit that leases out or donates computers to other non-profits. This is just one example of a workaround though.

Perkam

Xtreme Legend
    I seriously doubt you can deduct the cost of a refrigerator as a home office expense. Of course, you could try and probably get audited. I believe tax credits are still available for buying energy-efficient refrigerators. But you can't deduct the entire cost. I suppose if you make Jell-O for a living, you can deduct part of the cost of storing it in the frig.

Most of the energy-related tax breaks are for conserving energy, not consuming it.

In order to qualify for home office deductions, your house has to be the principal place where you do business. If you do some work at home, but the majority of it at a regular office, then you probably won't get a tax break.

Also, I just wanted to explain that there is a difference between a tax credit and a tax deduction. A tax credit is used to help reduce the cost of what you paid for an item. Think of it as a government rebate. A tax deduction, on the other hand, is applied to your adjusted gross income. In some cases, it may put you in a lower tax bracket. Tax credits are generally more useful.
    Last edited by sierra_bound; 07-26-2009 at 10:02 PM.
    Audentes fortuna iuvat

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    I've been thinking here since I posted and just for the hell of it I'm going to write the Gates foundation this week, explain what we do, link to the WCG program and to the team page, explain about the electrical cost and how it is a killer and ask if they would be interested in making a one time donation to some of the people here with big farms so that they could install grid tied solar systems to help cut the costs..

Insert Sierra's sig here..
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

of the Strawhat crew.
    Man how I wish I could get a donated solar array. Too bad I can't be classified as a big farm owner, but it's well deserved for those who are! I could probably afford to get some big rigs going if I had a solar array. Actually, we looked into it but it would cost too much out here in TN but my house is perfect for it.... tons of sun.

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    last time I checked, summer of 08, a grid tied solar system that would generate 3000KH/Month in NH was app $80K for parts..
    So maybe ask them for $4 million to purchase solar systems for the top 40 daily producers on the team??
    As a one time investment it's not a bad business decision as those systems would work at top efficiency for 10 years+ and still be effective up to 20+ years..

of the Strawhat crew.
    *Goes to check my position in the daily producers list....*

LOL, I shoulda known. I've been running rigs for years but not enough rigs to be in the top 40 daily. Well I check using points generated yesterday at free-dc... I wish I could sort by RAC. #87 in points yesterday. ='[
    Last edited by Gamekiller; 07-26-2009 at 09:56 PM.

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamekiller View Post
    *Goes to check my position in the daily producers list....*

LOL, I shoulda known. I've been running rigs for years but not enough rigs to be in the top 40 daily. Well I check using points generated yesterday at free-dc... I wish I could sort by RAC. #87 in points yesterday. ='[
    ok, swe'll send you down 1-2 panels and a couple D batterys for storage..
    Yea, I'm just having fun with you..
    What I'm really thinking on is the guys like Sierra, Shootstraight,123bob,serlv, folks like that in hot climates with large farms..

of the Strawhat crew.
    lol! Dave I might be compelled to hunt you down if you weren't such a nice guy.

Yeah of course, I understand! They have a huge electric bill and like I said before they deserve something like donated solar panels!

Btw, I accept the offer of 1-2 solar panels and don't forget the D batteries!!

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamekiller View Post
    lol! Dave I might be compelled to hunt you down if you weren't such a nice guy.

Yeah of course, I understand! They have a huge electric bill and like I said before they deserve something like donated solar panels!

Btw, I accept the offer of 1-2 solar panels and don't forget the D batteries!!
    I like a guy with a good sense of humor!

I've been reading about those grid-tie solar systems. I could probably put one together for "only" a few grand that would support the most/all of the cruncher load but the issue is the initial cost of that "few grand." It wouldn't be nearly $80k for parts, prices are better now than they used to be. Still, I need to do more research on it.
    The Cardboard Master
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Cruncher
    Forget about solar ... this is to expensive. I'd rather look into Windenergy. I recently read about a new wind turbine which is small enough to be used in the city or town, runs on low wind speeds, absolutely quiet and prices may drop quickly when it hits the market (I hope this is soon in the US).
    Here is a link to the company: http://www.quietrevolution.co.uk/qr5.htm
    I'm definitely waiting for this one - not only because of crunching ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast