Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: MS to allow for a Web Browser Ballot in their OS

Xtreme Cruncher
    IE was integrated in to Explorer, and Explorer only - Explorer is very integrated into Windows itself. You uninstall IE7 on Windows XP, it rolls back to IE6.

As far as I know, that does not happen on Vista, or Windows 7. It may just reinstall IE7/8 from files that microsoft likes to leave behind. IE is a non-integral part of the NT6 series OS.
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Lead Head View Post
    IE was integrated in to Explorer, and Explorer only - Explorer is very integrated into Windows itself. You uninstall IE7 on Windows XP, it rolls back to IE6.

As far as I know, that does not happen on Vista, or Windows 7. It may just reinstall IE7/8 from files that microsoft likes to leave behind. IE is a non-integral part of the NT6 series OS.
    Odd, as the instructions directly from MS site regarding the removal of IE8 from Vista make it clear that once you remove IE8 you will restore an earlier version of IE after you reboot. So from my point of view if you removed IE (regardless of the version) it should be removed from the OS not rolled back to an earlier version if it's not integrated in the OS. Be that as it may, we can only agree to disagree on this as its really off topic to the discussion of the thread.
    Last edited by Eastcoasthandle; 07-26-2009 at 08:54 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Addict
    IE8 is the worst ever in all of history known to mankind! I have it installed on 4 different partitions, on my 2 rigs (with both Vista x64 and WinXP-32). IE8 crashes or freezes with 1 out of every 8 webpages that I hit. Using compatibility view never helps. The fact that it needs compatibility view alone says a lot, already! Plus it's slow, resource-hungry, and does not save opened tabs like IE7, Opera, FF, etc.. did.. The only thing I liked about IE8 is that it tries to mimic the

Opera seems to be the most secure browser to use, hands-down. FF is probably just a tad bit more secure than IE.. I honestly think that Opera is the "holy grail" of browsers, as long as it maintains security.

--two awesome rigs, wildly customized with
    5.1 Sony speakers, Stereo 3D, UV Tourmaline Confexia, Flame Bl00dr4g3 Fatal1ty
    --SONY GDM-FW900 24" widescreen CRT, overclocked to:
    2560x1600 resolution at 68Hz!(from 2304x1440@80Hz)

Updated List of Video Card GPU Voodoopower Ratings!!!!!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    I use Firefox for most stuff, Opera for other stuff, and IE for whatever either of them mess up.
    Unfortunately that's exactly what I also do.................it would be nice if FF worked universally but the net being as it is I can't see that happening in my lifetime
    lots and lots of cores and lots and lots of tuners,HTPC's boards,cases,HDD's,vga's,DDR1&2&3 etc etc all powered by Corsair PSU's

Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Fox View Post
    IE8 is the worst ever in all of history known to mankind! I have it installed on 4 different partitions, on my 2 rigs (with both Vista x64 and WinXP-32). IE8 crashes or freezes with 1 out of every 8 webpages that I hit. Using compatibility view never helps. The fact that it needs compatibility view alone says a lot, already! Plus it's slow, resource-hungry, and does not save opened tabs like IE7, Opera, FF, etc.. did.. The only thing I liked about IE8 is that it tries to mimic the

Opera seems to be the most secure browser to use, hands-down. FF is probably just a tad bit more secure than IE.. I honestly think that Opera is the "holy grail" of browsers, as long as it maintains security.
    It doesn't look like it is the problem with the IE 8, it is like it is user IQ related.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Fox View Post
    At least according to this, even IE8 RC1 was much safer than Opera v9.64.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ex2cib View Post
    i still think this is stupid. 90% of the people will still install IE because its all they've ever used.
    in this modern day IE global marked share is down to less then 70% if your theory is true progress will never be made... we humans are a curious race. If we would not try anything new ones in a wile we would still be living in the stone age. Progress is slow but it does take place

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonso View Post
    It doesn't look like it is the problem with the IE 8, it is like it is user IQ related.
    Harsh

Usually I get along fine with FF 3.5.1, but FF 3.5 was awful (took ages to load), Internet Exploder..ooops I meant Explorer 8 is not that bad actually, I find that keeping it up to date is important as Microsoft regularly update the compatability views, believe it or not IE8 uses less CPU resources when playing back certain flash animations compared to FireFox.

Firefox reigns supreme but the differences between it and Internet Explorer are gradually becoming grey....to the point I am almost comfortable with IE8

John
    Stop looking at the walls, look out the window

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123