Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MS to allow for a Web Browser Ballot in their OS

I am Xtreme

MS to allow for a Web Browser Ballot in their OS

Initially it was thought that no browser would be offered in the EU however according to an article from Ars Technica MS has agreed to what the EU proposed and will offer a browser ballot. How this will work is that a screen would allow users to choose from several different browsers. Browsers such as Google, Mozilla, Opera, etc maybe be included but the article doesn't say for certain. The article also indicates that MS's cooperation is in relation to yesterday's earnings announcement. You can read more about it in the link above.
    Last edited by Eastcoasthandle; 07-24-2009 at 03:46 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Enthusiast
    i'd like this in the Us version as well

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by orangekiwii View Post
    i'd like this in the Us version as well
    +1
    ~ Little Slice of Heaven ~
    Lian Li PC-A05NB w/ Gentle Typhoons
    Core i7 860 @ 3gHz w/ Thor's Hammer
    eVGA P55 SLI
    8GB RAM
    Gigabyte 7970
    Corsair HX850
    OZC Vertex3 SSD 240GB

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Xtreme
    i still think this is stupid. 90% of the people will still install IE because its all they've ever used.
    System:
    2600K / 8GB Corsair Vengeance PC15000
    Asus Sabertooth P67 / MSI Twin Frozr II 6950 Crossfire
    corsair 1000hx / Corsair 800D obsidian
    Crucial M4 128GB SSD / Windows 7 Pro
    Cooling:
    Koolance 360 rev 1.1 CPU block / MCR320 QP rad
    OCZ hydropulse 800 pump w/ EK-DCP 4.0 res
    Primochill LRT Black tubing 3/8" ID x 5/8" OD

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I say why only in Europe? If 90% people want to install it the option is still there. Well at least in Europe.
    Core i7-4930K LGA 2011 Six-Core - Cooler Master Seidon 120XL ? Push-Pull Liquid Water
    ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition LGA2011 - G.SKILL Trident X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 1866
    Sapphire R9 290X 4GB TRI-X OC in CrossFire - ATI TV Wonder 650 PCIe
    Intel X25-M 160GB G2 SSD - WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6
    Corsair HX1000W PSU - Pioner Blu-ray Burner 6X BD-R
    Westinghouse LVM-37w3, 37inch 1080p - Windows 7 64-bit Pro
    Sennheiser RS 180 - Cooler Master Cosmos S Case

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoasthandle View Post
    Initially it was thought that no browser would be offered in the EU however according to an article from Ars Technica MS has agreed to what the EU proposed and will offer a browser ballot. How this will work is that a screen would allow users to choose from several different browsers. Browsers such as Google, Mozilla, Opera, etc maybe be included but the article doesn't say for certain. The article also indicates that MS's cooperation is in relation to yesterday's earnings announcement. You can read more about it in the link above.
    thanks for the link!!!

Xtreme CCIE
    Somehow I just don't see them allowing Chrome unless they absolutely have to. It's the best answer for a bad situation for MS though, hopefully this will keep those monopoly-monkeys off their back.
    Dual CCIE (Route\Switch and Security) at your disposal. Have a Cisco-related or other network question? My PM box is always open.

Xtreme Network:
    - Cisco 3560X-24P PoE Switch
    - Cisco ASA 5505 Firewall
    - Cisco 4402 Wireless LAN Controller
    - Cisco 3502i Access Point

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by ex2cib View Post
    i still think this is stupid. 90% of the people will still install IE because its all they've ever used.
    The less people that use IE, the better. Still... 100% correct. People who currently use IE will continue to do so, since they don't know better.

On the plus side, EU users won't have to have IE on their comps.

Who wants to bet that MS will have IE8 as a "recommended" update anyways?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I keep IE installed for compatibility reasons, both for programs and some websites that still refuse to work properly with other browsers (internet banking sites)
    Q9550 || DFI P45 Jr || 4x 2G generic ram || 4870X2 || Aerocool M40 case || 3TB storage

what we need is a choice of installing IE6, IE7, IE8 and the MSN browser. and i would be pissed if safari installed stock since it has bonjor with it and i would not want anything from google with the OS.

and i would guess that the next step if this works is to make the sun JRE come with the OS (since .net is an unfair advantage) and just imagine when windows has its user base and the exportability of OSX
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Cruncher
    this whole browser argument is a waste of time. the majority of people have a p4 use ie6 and are perfectly happy. all they do is watch youtube go on facebook and check e-mail.

c[_]
    I use Firefox for most stuff, Opera for other stuff, and IE for whatever either of them mess up.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Chumbucket843 View Post
    this whole browser argument is a waste of time. the majority of people have a p4 use ie6 and are perfectly happy. all they do is watch youtube go on facebook and check e-mail.
    IE6 only has about 15% of the browser market and that is because of corporations on Windows XP who are too lazy to update. On tech related sites IE6's market share drops dramatically to around 5% or less thankfully. It has poor support for CSS, transparent .png, and javascript, which EVERY website uses (or should) at least one of. MANY hours are wasted developing code specifically for IE6. Not to mention how much of a pain it is to use it.

None of the IEs are favorable imo, but IE6 is the worst.

Luckily Firefox has about 47% market share while all the IEs only have 41%. A positive change towards progress .

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    I use Firefox for most stuff, Opera for other stuff, and IE for whatever either of them mess up.
    +1
    " Business is Binary, your either a 1 or a 0, alive or dead." - Gary Winston ^^

Asus rampage III formula,i7 980xm, H70, Silverstone Ft02, Gigabyte Windforce 580 GTX SLI, Corsair AX1200, intel x-25m 160gb, 2 x OCZ vertex 2 180gb, hp zr30w, 12gb corsair vengeance

Rig 2
    i7 980x ,h70, Antec Lanboy Air, Samsung md230x3 ,Saphhire 6970 Xfired, Antec ax1200w, x-25m 160gb, 2 x OCZ vertex 2 180gb,12gb Corsair Vengence MSI Big Bang Xpower

Xtreme X.I.P.
    and? does this cause them any problems? not at all...
    so why is this stupid?

it gives other browsers a fair chance, thats all they asked for and thats what they deserve imo... and its lame that this will only be done for european versions of the os and not worldwide...

Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    so why is this stupid?

it gives other browsers a fair chance, thats all they asked for and thats what they deserve imo... and its lame that this will only be done for european versions of the os and not worldwide...
    it dose set up MS with a problem since they will be shipping insecure browsers like chrome and safari. the only thing that saves them is that they are sub 5% market share once people have more choices and esier access it will make them targeted and then MS will be blamed.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

all outta gum
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    it dose set up MS with a problem since they will be shipping insecure browsers like chrome and safari.
    As if Internet Explorer was 100% secure.
    www.teampclab.pl
    MOA 2009 Poland #2, AMD Black Ops 2010, MOA 2011 Poland #1, MOA 2011 EMEA #12

Test bench: empty

Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    so why is this stupid?

just wait for that first website they visit that NEEDS IE to run.

right then and there, most people will scrap whatever other browsers they have been using and go back to IE.

seriously, you think this will give other browsers a chance?

Doing this really won't bother the younger generations, its some of the older people that are entirely resistant to any change at all. They dont want to have to learn anything new.*

* and to all those that fall into this age range here, you're in a special demographic that actually cares to know facts
    System:
    2600K / 8GB Corsair Vengeance PC15000
    Asus Sabertooth P67 / MSI Twin Frozr II 6950 Crossfire
    corsair 1000hx / Corsair 800D obsidian
    Crucial M4 128GB SSD / Windows 7 Pro
    Cooling:
    Koolance 360 rev 1.1 CPU block / MCR320 QP rad
    OCZ hydropulse 800 pump w/ EK-DCP 4.0 res
    Primochill LRT Black tubing 3/8" ID x 5/8" OD

Xtreme Enthusiast
    just wait for that first website they visit that NEEDS IE to run.

right then and there, most people will scrap whatever other browsers they have been using and go back to IE.

seriously, you think this will give other browsers a chance?

Doing this really won't bother the younger generations, its some of the older people that are entirely resistant to any change at all. They dont want to have to learn anything new.*

* and to all those that fall into this age range here, you're in a special demographic that actually cares to know facts
    It will cause all European sites to make sure they are complient with the major browsers.

To be fair, I haven't come across a website in Europe for a long long time, that doesn't work with Firefox or Opera.

To turn your point around, what happens if they load up IE and come across a website that only works in Chrome?

Xtreme Addict
    Microsoft isn't allowed to include its own software in its own OS = stupid 'nuff said.

Firefox can compete so whats the problem. Get your act together Opera, if Firefox can so can your company.
    SweClockers.com

CPU: Phenom II X4 955BE
    Clock: 4200MHz 1.4375v
    Memory: Dominator GT 2x2GB 1600MHz 6-6-6-20 1.65v
    Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula
    GPU: HD 5770

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartidiot89 View Post
    Microsoft isn't allowed to include its own software in its own OS = stupid 'nuff said.

Firefox can compete so whats the problem. Get your act together Opera, if Firefox can so can your company.
    QFE.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xoqolatl View Post
    As if Internet Explorer was 100% secure.
    You mean 'as if it wasn't the worst of the big three by some measure'.

Monopolies are dangerous and sometimes the legislators need to curb their activities = nuff said.
    Last edited by >HyperlogiK<; 07-25-2009 at 07:31 AM.

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    Firefox can compete because it "got a break". Mozilla and FF were practically unheard of three or four years ago, even though early versions were publicly available way back in 2002. IE had a near-absolute monopoly. Due to snowballing word-of-mouth, suddenly everyone knew about FF, and FF could capitalise on a reputation as a browser other than IE - it became "cool" to use FF.

Now that it's out there and in the wild, Opera will have no such luck - you can't excite people about a third browser, only an "underdog" competitor to a titan with an absolute monopoly.
    Rig specs
    CPU: i7 5960X Mobo: Asus X99 Deluxe RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR4-2400 CAS-15 VGA: 2x eVGA GTX680 Superclock PSU: Corsair AX1200

Foundational Falsehoods of Creationism

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by >HyperlogiK< View Post
    Monopolies are dangerous and sometimes the legislators need to curb their activities = nuff said.
    How is it dangerous if IE is no longer the market leader?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by >HyperlogiK< View Post
    Bundling IE with Windows is not a monopolistic act per se. And now giving the user a screen to actually choose a browser makes it less so.

If i make a program and want to include a plug-in for free within the package, why would someone stop me to do it?

The real problem is the end user. They will use and keep whatever is tossed on them at first. In this case that is IE, WMP, Outlook Express, and in some cases even Movie Maker and Paint.
    It is their lack of will (or sheer laziness) to look for better alternatives or for one more suitable for their needs what made IE the most used browser for years (Netscape and Mozilla suite era mainly).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast