Thread: [News] Swiftech to Launch Custom Water Block for AMD's RX 480

[News] Swiftech to Launch Custom Water Block for AMD's RX 480

https://www.techpowerup.com/226842/s...or-amds-rx-480

Rouchon Industries Inc., dba Swiftech, is reportedly bringing to market a custom water block for AMD's RX 480. According to reddit user CBwardog, who spoke with a company representative, the water block is expected to come in an Acetal + Nickel package, bearing a price-tag of $99.95. No official announcement from Swiftech at this time, though it is expected that the water block will become available for sale to end-users worldwide through the usual channels in a mere three weeks.

Xtreme Guru
    I suppose I can see the business aspect of this for Swiftech, but I guess I don't understand why anyone would watercool a RX 480.

Think of it this way, the cost of an 8GB RX 480 and a full cover waterblock will be ~$340. A quick newegg search shows the GTX 1070 can be had for $380. Is it really not worth an extra $40 at that point to just get the 1070? I have to imagine even with the extra overclocking headroom, you won't come close to an overclocked 1070 in performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Quote Originally Posted by AliG View Post
    I suppose I can see the business aspect of this for Swiftech, but I guess I don't understand why anyone would watercool a RX 480.

Think of it this way, the cost of an 8GB RX 480 and a full cover waterblock will be ~$340. A quick newegg search shows the GTX 1070 can be had for $380. Is it really not worth an extra $40 at that point to just get the 1070? I have to imagine even with the extra overclocking headroom, you won't come close to an overclocked 1070 in performance.

if you wanted to stay amd the fury X with an AIO attached to it is around $350-375 as well when they hit clearance. that may have a POS coolermaster thing in it but it is set up to to take a gpu only block with minor shroud trimming.

a gpu only kit could be nice for the lower cost nature of the 480.
    Last edited by zanzabar; 10-17-2016 at 01:44 PM.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Mentor

I was thinking the same and entered the thread to write exactly what you wrote. Thank you. You saved my time searching for prices .

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by kromosto View Post
    I was thinking the same and entered the thread to write exactly what you wrote. Thank you. You saved my time searching for prices .
    Yeah I guess I just don't understand why people watercool midrange cards. Rule of thumb is water is really only good for taking something at the top, which is limited by thermals (i.e. Tixan XP), above and beyond. Even if you already had the rest of the loop paid for, the cost of the block would return much greater dividends spent on better hardware.

I suppose you could consider the aesthestics/fan fare of watercooling, but again, if you're an enthusiast why go midrange?

.....}

Regards, Hans

There are other reasons to water cool besides performance.

A BIG reason I watercooled my PC way back in 2007 was noise. I hated the noise of air coolers on a lot of video cards. Granted, I don't know the noise of a stock RX480 cooler.

Plus, watercooling can be fun
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Watercooling has always been a luxury. Besides, I can see someone picking a much smaller RX 480 over GTX 1070 for a mini PC build.
    Intel 8700k
    16GB
    Asus z370 Prime
    1080 Ti
    x2 Samsung 850Evo 500GB
    x 1 500 Samsung 860Evo NVME

Swiftech Apogee XL2
    Swiftech MCP35X x2
    Full Cover GPU blocks
    360 x1, 280 x1, 240 x1, 120 x1 Radiators

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    There are other reasons to water cool besides performance.

A BIG reason I watercooled my PC way back in 2007 was noise. I hated the noise of air coolers on a lot of video cards. Granted, I don't know the noise of a stock RX480 cooler.

Plus, watercooling can be fun
    I think the noise benefits used to more true 5 years ago. Ever since the development of massive heatsinks I really don't think you'll get signficantly quieter than a $70 air cooler.

I'll give you the fun aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by StAndrew View Post
    Watercooling has always been a luxury. Besides, I can see someone picking a much smaller RX 480 over GTX 1070 for a mini PC build.
    I dunno, I feel like you'd then get a GTX 1060 in that case. I just can't see any sensible reason to watercool an RX 480 for performance reasons.

Plenty of good reasons to buy a 480, but I would never watercool it unless someone gave me the loop as a gift.

.....}

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I dunno, I feel like you'd then get a GTX 1060 in that case. I just can't see any sensible reason to watercool an RX 480 for performance reasons.

Plenty of good reasons to buy a 480, but I would never watercool it unless someone gave me the loop as a gift.
    True. However, there is always the fan boy factor

Besides, allegedly these are overclocking fiends if you power and cool them right.

http://wccftech.com/amd-rx-480-overclocked-air-water/

I would also posts Jaystwocent's youtube vid of this as well but I tend to take him with a large grain of salt
    Intel 8700k
    16GB
    Asus z370 Prime
    1080 Ti
    x2 Samsung 850Evo 500GB
    x 1 500 Samsung 860Evo NVME

Swiftech Apogee XL2
    Swiftech MCP35X x2
    Full Cover GPU blocks
    360 x1, 280 x1, 240 x1, 120 x1 Radiators

Air cooling is a lot simpler maintenance... I've considered going back before, and my loop is filthy inside again I can tell as my CPU is hitting mid-upper 60s again and it shouldn't be (GPU seems happy in the 50s though). But, at the same time I'm not so sure I want to because there is that "cool" and crazy factor with it.

Dunno.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Mentor
    The xfx Rx 480 runs really well temp wise and has decent OC headroom.

Wow fury x are xheap on Newegg now. $375 dang
    FX-8350(1249PGT) @ 4.7ghz 1.452v, Swiftech H220x
    Asus Crosshair Formula 5 Am3+ bios v1703
    G.skill Trident X (2x4gb) ~1200mhz @ 10-12-12-31-46-2T @ 1.66v
    MSI 7950 TwinFrozr *1100/1500* Cat.14.9
    OCZ ZX 850w psu
    Lian-Li Lancool K62
    Samsung 830 128g
    2 x 1TB Samsung SpinpointF3, 2T Samsung
    Win7 Home 64bit
    My Rig

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by tbone8ty View Post
    The xfx Rx 480 runs really well temp wise and has decent OC headroom.
    Perhaps, but in generality the RX 480 does not overclock as well as the Nvidia corresponding chips do. I don't mean that as a slam on the RX 480 (I have on record stated many times I think the 4GB varient is the best value card on the market today) - I just don't think this is a sensible card to watercool.

It's not financially worth it, and as Sparky pointed out air cooling is a lot less maintenance. Wait for Vega if you must watercool and love AMD.

.....}

Regards, Hans