Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aquaero with the new Powerbooster able to control DDC pumps!

Xtreme Enthusiast

Thumbs up Aquaero with the new Powerbooster able to control DDC pumps!

Hello folks. I just saw this on the aqua-computer site. Its a extra cooling "bracket" or what I should call it that makes it possible for extra wattage on all channels. And If I understand correctly, you will be able to control ddc pumps right from the Aquaero itself.

But there options as I can see 3 kits. One when you can do it yourself and you loose the warranty (10€). And one that you can send your aquaero to them and they do it and you keep the warranty (20€). And if you order a new one and want one installed it costs you about 15€ and you don't void warranty.
    Anyway, here it is[/B]

This gives the aquaero with booster the following specs:
    Channel #1: 25W.
    Channel #2-4: 15W each.
    Total wattage drawn should not exceed 45W.

A Aquaero without this have these specs:
    Channel #1-4: 10W each.
    Total wattage drawn should not exceed 30W.

Anyway this should solve many peoples trouble finding when trying to find a good and fail-safe controller to control pumps with.

Anyway here is the full text translated with google:
    By aquaero power booster, the maximum output of the four fan channels from 10W to 15W higher. The max. Overall performance of the aquaero with the power booster from 30W to 45W increased.

The aquaero power booster consists of a stainless steel bezel engraved with a generously sized aluminum heatsink on a Wärmleitpad bind to the voltage and for a significantly improved heat dissipation makes. The engraving on the bracket makes it easy to connect an accessory, as all connections are clearly marked.

Performance Enhancement of Channel 1:
    An additional modification to the motherboard can also aquaero for channel 1, an output power of 25W to be achieved and is used to control the pumps Laing DDC-1T and DDC-1T Plus Series provides. A Laing pump can best be regulated, as it is a perfect speed control by entering the Wunschrehzahl possible. Should the pump stop, it will automatically power to re-start the pump increases, and then approached the desired speed. In addition, the pump at the start of the first full aquaeros started and then shut down. Since the pump is used for the fan output over temperature sensors can be controlled, it is the pumping well in a temperature dependence (eg water) govern.
    A description of the modifications necessary to get the support request. Please note that when you perform the modification of the guarantee lose. If you want to keep these, so please order the power booster as a subsequent upgrade in which the modification in our house is being carried out and the guarantee is preserved.

The power booster is a Wärmeleitpad and the necessary mounting accessories delivered.
    The aquaero is not included.

Note:
    The power booster can only aquaeros series of 4:00 may be used.
    Last edited by Brodholm; 07-23-2009 at 03:24 PM.

Chasing After Diety
    Shoggy where art thou~

I can see myself using one of these guys if they can handle 2 amps on 1 channel.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    If it is as I think it is this will really give the aquaero the upper hand over its rivals (Mcubed, Koolance etc)

If I got it right it is:
    Channel 1: 25W
    Channel 2-4: 15W each?!?
    And total must not exceed 45W? If so, that leaves not much for the other channels... Or is the total amount of wattage increesed from 30W to 45W extra?

How are you guys reeding this?
    Last edited by Brodholm; 07-23-2009 at 10:33 AM.

Xtreme Member
    It's not very clear, even in German actually (was a German exchange student). The Google translation is mostly correct.

The German goes on for quite a bit (as you can see) about fan channel 1 and its ability to handle 25W of power with this modification. However, as you saw, the first paragraph seems to suggest the max W per channel is 15W, and the total max power is 45W for the unit with the mod.

This doesn't add up though:

4 * 15 = 60W (too high)

3 * 15 = 45W (right value but only 3 channels?)

(3 * 10) + 25 = 55W (3 fans @ 10 + the pump, but still too high)

45 - 25 = 20W (leftover if you connect pump to this, too low?)

Anyways, I don't get it, and it's not because of the German It just doesn't add up based on the description they give..

Aqua Computer Rep
    My own words from another forum

We are offering a new upgrade option for the aquaero which can be bought in addition with an aquaero for 14.99 EUR. The powerbooster is a special cooling block and a small hardware modifiction of the aquaero which will allow you to use a Laing pump on fan channel 1. The other three channels will be able to handle 15W instead of 10W.

If you already own an aquaero 4.00 it can be send in for the modification (powerbooster, soldering etc.). This option will cost 19.99 EUR.

You can also buy the powerbooster separately with all mounting accessory for 9.99 EUR. In this case a simple installation will allow up to 15W on all four channels. Well, by contacting our support we can also tell you how to modify the aquaero yourself to get the full power of channel 1. Please note that you will lose the warranty if you do the modification yourself.

No matter which option you choose, the used overall power should not exceed 45W.

If you want much more or even infinite power you will love the additional booster PCB. It is a small PCB with a 4-pin molex for the power and two 3-pin fan connectors. One acts as input and the other one as output while this one can boost the power up to 3A at 12V (36W).
    You can combine and connect them in almost every way. For example two of them to fan channel 1 of your aquaero without the powerbooster upgrade to control two Laing pumps. You could even control a Laing pump through an aquastream XT pump now

More details on the small PCB will follow very soon.

(All mentioned prices with 19% German VAT)

A few pics:

As you can see we also added a nice detail: the edging has a laser engraving which explains the connectors next to it. So you will not have to take a look into the manual again to see where the aqabus goes or in which direction you have to plug the USB cable.
    Got a question or having a problem with your Aqua Computer product?
    Contact us via PM or E-Mail.

Xtreme Member
    Vielen dank Shoggy

The total W of the unit is 45W max, so if you use a 25W on channel 1, that basically leaves a max of 20W to share among the other 3 channels, correct?

Where is Gleichen / Benniehausen in Germany? I was an Austauschstudent 15 years ago in Bingen am Rhein.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thanks for clearing that up shoggy!

So If you use a DDC3.2 you will end up using 18W on channel 1 and then have 27W left for the other 3 channels. That should be plenty since I have GT fans. And they only draw 1w each.

Can you tell us more about the PCB? Or is this to early?

Aqua Computer Rep
    Ketzer7, that's right. Above 45W you will encounter problems with the heat generated by the voltage regulators.

Benniehausen is 8km away from Göttingen which you should know since it is a historic university city and full of students

Aqua Computer Rep
    @Brodholm: it is time for another quote...

As said in the thread for the aquaero powerbooster we will also offer a small PCB which will allow you to boost the power of the fan channels of an aquaero, aquastream XT or any other device with a fan output.

The powerbooster can deliver up to 3.5A which is more than enough for several powerful fans or a Laing pump.

The used operational amplifier L165 has a small downside: it has a powerdrop of 1.5 to 2.0V so you will end up with 10.5 to 10V. Since we wanted to have a very simple solution we will have to live with that and also think it's OK because who really runs fans at full speed for example? In this case you won't need it and can connect them directly to the PSU

Usage is simple: you connect a fan output with the input connector, the PCB will boost the incoming signal (-1.5 to 2.0V) and puts it out on the second connector. Of course the tacho singal will be forwarded.
    We have tested it also with a Laing DDC-1T/Plus and it worked

We know that there have been a few other booster PCBs by users and used some ideas for testing but either they were already to complex or the simpler ones were generating a massive swinging which leads to an unnecessary waste of power and thermal problems. That problem was easy to spot with an oscilloscope which I think these users don't own to see that problem theirself.
    Our PCB is using a filter to avoid problems with swinging and to ensure a better efficiency.

The poweramp will be available for around 15.00 EUR (~18.00 USD w/o VAT) and we will also offer a DIY kit for a cheaper price. Good soldering knowledge is recommend since there are also very small SMD parts.

The photo below shows a handmade prototype. The final variant will be manufactured professional. The powerbooster measures 48 x 22mm at a height of 27mm.

edit: damn, I clicked quote and thought it was edit
    Last edited by Shoggy; 07-23-2009 at 11:36 AM.

Xtreme Member
    I'm curious what the front of this unit looks like. And can it control 2 DDC pumps?
    EDIT: And could you connect 2 flow meters to this as well?
    the Borg Cube:
    Case - Lian Li PC-343B
    Mobo - EVGA X58 Classified (759)
    CPU - i7 920 (D0 stepping), watercooled w/Enzotech Luna Rev.A block
    RAM - Corsair Dominator GT 2000 (8-8-8-24) w/fan
    GPU - EVGA GTX295 quad-SLI, water cooled w/Koolance NX295 blocks
    PSU - Corsair HX1000
    O/S - Windows 7 RC build 7127

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoggy View Post
    Benniehausen is 8km away from Göttingen which you should know since it is a historic university city and full of students

lol Yes, I know of Goettingen. Unfortunately never visited though. I spent a month actually at the beginning of my Austausch in Tuebingen, another historic university city (the best ones, right?). Ah, lots of fun times and good memories at the Neckarmueller Biergarten there

Aqua Computer Rep
    I recommend to check a video about the aquaero, multiswitch and tubemeter. That will give you a better idea of it. There is also a making of video which is pretty interesting in my opinion

You can connect two flow sensors but in this case you will lose fan channel 4 because it will be used for the second sensor.
    Last edited by Shoggy; 07-23-2009 at 12:19 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Nice videos. A very impressive system when you see it all in action

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoggy View Post
    I recommend to check a video about the aquaero, multiswitch and tubemeter. That will give you a better idea of it. There is also a making of video which is pretty interesting in my opinion

You can connect two flow sensors but in this case you will lose fan channel 4 because it will be used for the second sensor.
    Great videos.
    How about 2 DDC pumps though?
    the Borg Cube:
    Case - Lian Li PC-343B
    Mobo - EVGA X58 Classified (759)
    CPU - i7 920 (D0 stepping), watercooled w/Enzotech Luna Rev.A block
    RAM - Corsair Dominator GT 2000 (8-8-8-24) w/fan
    GPU - EVGA GTX295 quad-SLI, water cooled w/Koolance NX295 blocks
    PSU - Corsair HX1000
    O/S - Windows 7 RC build 7127

Aqua Computer Rep
    Two pumps will not work because they draw too much power while spinning up.

Xtreme Member
    Obviously they should have made a water block for it instead.

Aqua Computer Rep
    That would not help since the PCB was never designed to handle such loads. To get the extra power from channel 1 there is already the need for modifications of the board.

Xtreme Addict
    Very nice Shoggy, thanks for the detailed explanation. Time to buy some stuff.

Xtreme Member
    this is totally cool....

Shoggy other than direct from AquaComputer, where can we order this internationally as AC online store does not dispatch worldwide?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by philomela View Post
    Shoggy other than direct from AquaComputer, where can we order this internationally as AC online store does not dispatch worldwide?
    sidewinderscomputers carries aqua stuff though once he gets them they are out of stock pretty quick.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by JOCKTHEGLIDE View Post
    sidewinderscomputers carries aqua stuff though once he gets them they are out of stock pretty quick.
    I think he meant the booster not aqua-stuff in general?

But maybe they can teach Gary@side to do the mod so you still can offer warranty over at the US?

Banned
    Is it 45w analog total or PWM total? I don't have any experience with the aquaero only with your flowmeter which I am still quite disappointed about the cable but if this is 45w total output analog that is quite impressive compared to what else is on the market.

I have a big ng which I run everything analog off of because it's much quieter but I have around 40w to much for it so every once in awhile it will switch to pwm mode to sustain the load. I think a 45w analog controller would certainly be able to handle my load and something I would consider purchasing.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by bluehaze View Post
    Is it 45w analog total or PWM total? I don't have any experience with the aquaero only with your flowmeter which I am still quite disappointed about the cable but if this is 45w total output analog that is quite impressive compared to what else is on the market.

I have a big ng which I run everything analog off of because it's much quieter but I have around 40w to much for it so every once in awhile it will switch to pwm mode to sustain the load. I think a 45w analog controller would certainly be able to handle my load and something I would consider purchasing.
    I'm almost sure it is 45w analogue. And what was the problem with the cable? I'm getting the new flowmeter from aquaero. Don't know the name (its the big gray one).

Edit: Its this one http://shop.aquacomputer.de/product_...oducts_id=2294

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodholm View Post
    I'm almost sure it is 45w analogue. And what was the problem with the cable? I'm getting the new flowmeter from aquaero. Don't know the name (its the big gray one).

Edit: Its this one http://shop.aquacomputer.de/product_...oducts_id=2294
    The problem is there is no cable And in the U.S. there is no place to even buy the cable so you order the flow meter and then can't use it...

Unless of course you order from Aqua Computer and pay International shipping. Quite a shady practice as far as i'm concerned :/

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast