Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: [Review] PrimoChill Typhoon III

Xtreme Member
    I'm sure this is an excellent and revolutionary product, but as I have seen it it this is a highly sceptical community that have taken to many bad products to be easily convinced. I find is pretty clear that Skinnee is impressed with what the T3 can do and it shines through in the review, and in all honesty I think there have been a little to much hype about the product.
    I think people wants a conclusion in the end of the review so they don't need to really make there own mind up but there is always a risk of letting to much of your own impressions shine through and not leave all readers with the feeling that you just read an unbiased test.

Sure the T3 seems to kick all other single pump setups but :spank: but compared to a true dual loop.
    Say a dual DDC-2 setup (hello NaeKuh) on the CPU and a DDC-3.2 on the GPU:s you will get better temp in the true dual loop setup, on the other hand you would have spent 3 times as much on pumps.

I'm sure the performance freaks will find a good use for it, probably just not in a paralel GPU/CPU config
    "I don't have a masters degree, but even I know that mixing water and electronics is a stupid thing to do."
    My girlfriend.

"It's easy to get sideways at first thinking there is ONE BEST product for each area of water cooling. But, that's not always the case - depends on your exact setup and needs."
    shazza

Xtreme Addict
    To all those crying about how the test wasn't fair or that the math doesn't make sense to them or that the review can't be true...Don't buy it! Quit crying! You are only making yourselves look pathetic by attacking skinnee on this, he detailed his testing method pretty well and if you actually read it you just might learn something!

1) The T3 will not bring about world peace nor world domination.

2) The T3 will not cook your breakfast or fold your socks.

3) The T3 will not dry your tears if you are here from another forum just to cry about things you are too dull to understand.

If you actually read skinnee's review you might get an idea of what the T3 will, in a very real world situation do.
    Last edited by hellcamino; 07-24-2009 at 02:21 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    I don't care, I'm running out of popcorn waiting for the results..

hellcamino, lol man u tell em.......

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by BoxGods View Post
    I just wanted to also say that I am going to be posting less from here on out as there are now more forums with T3 threads then I could ever hope to keep up with. It is after 3AM and here I am posting. The whole forum thing is hard for (some ) people from my generation, as in "old dude" and it's stressing me out lol.

That reminds me. A Year ago I would not have stepped into the forums here at XS on a dare as this place was just BRUTAL. I don't know what happened but now I like coming here a lot as the atmosphere has shifted from destruction to construction. The Admins or whoever have really turned it around and I would encourage any other product designers or company reps to give XS another try--not a walk in the park by any stretch )and really it shouldnt be) but you will get a fair shake.

I have a mod to finish for nVida to display at QuakeCon and then the ION modding contest mod and I am WAY behind. I will check back every few days to see who is winning the latest argument =) and to see if anyone is having the type of problem I can help with. (missing a plug, weird glue, a scratch or w/e).

On the subject of glue. I am sending the guy that was the MOST pissed about the bonding band -- Bei Fei-- test sample #4 of the new clear adhesive to beat on and see if we did better. Sample #5 is going to UTnorris so he can test out the optional Top/bottom port in his heavy weight UFO. PrimoChill is likely going to offer a version of the T3 with these extra port/s at their site only and for a slight premium to cover the extra plugs and labor building them. I will post more details as they become available. It would be great if you guys mention it anytime people post about needing the top ports for an over sized rig or w/e.

Glue test samples 1-3 are in accelerated chemical, UV, and vibration testing and I will know by mid week how they fared. I have already worked out using the new adhesive in post production so if it passes testing it will be in place right away. Possible in time for the next production batch which hits bonding next Friday. You will know as soon as I do.

Almost forgot. For the guys asking about the machined aluminum face plates, yes those will be sold as an add on that can easily be installed by those who already have T3's.

Any serious issues just email me.
    Thanks for all your help BoxGods.
    Project Millertime: The Core I5 build

Crunching/folding box on air: AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition; Sapphire Radeon HD 4830; Gigabyte MA78GM-US2H; Lian Li PC-V351; Windows 7 RC

Banned
    I will take the "hit" or blame for this one. You are absolutely correct that "Dual Loop" is strictly speaking incorrect. All I can offer in my defense is that my main goal for the T3 was getting new people into water cooling by offering a pump/reservoir that is exceptionally easy to set up and use. One that might just entice some smaller OEM system builders to offer a water cooled machine. "Dual loop" is easier to grasp in a general sense for a novice then serial loop. It honestly was not intended as some sort of marketing hyperbole or to mislead anyone. The reality is that I can't spell "parallel" without a spell checker (which AIM does not have) and when I was discussing the copy with Brian (from PrimoChill) we were on AIM. I have a horrible time with spelling (Valor anyone?)

I will ask Brian about changing the wording to "Parallel" loop but I have ZERO say in that choice as I sold them the design. I imagine changing any printed materials, sending new copy to all the estores listing the T3 and so on make a change problamatic at best.
    Thanks for clarifying this.

Xtreme Member
    so your saying this is not the PS3 where ken kutagri the father of PS said it do everything except cook toast...though it actually does people found out

Quote Originally Posted by hellcamino View Post
    To all those crying about how the test wasn't fair or that the math doesn't make sense to them or that the review can't be true...Don't buy it! Quit crying! You are only making yourselves look pathetic by attacking skinnee on this, he detailed his testing method pretty well and if you actually read it you just might learn something!

3) The T3 will not dry your tears if you are here from another forum just to cry about things you are too dull to understand.

If you actually read skinnee's review you might get an idea of what the T3 will, in a very real world situation do.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by JOCKTHEGLIDE View Post
    so your saying this is not the PS3 where ken kutagri the father of PS said it do everything except cook toast...though it actually does people found out
    lol... sorry... but it's too early in the day for this...

huh?
    "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands in times challenge and controversy."
    Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

DIY: Self Clinching Nuts

Canon EOS 7D | Tokina 12-24mm f/4 | Canon EF 24-105 f/4 L | Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS Mk II | Canon EF 35mm f/1.4 L | Canon EF 400mm f/5.6 L | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4-5.6 L

My take on all of this is that people are just arguing over the adding of the two loops to get the score. It was always stated that you don't just put a Y right at your pump and do that since it is worse than a normal setup performance wise. So, logic would determine adding a Y to the other tops isn't going to get you a better number than what they are putting out in the configuration being tested. Then again people are curious by nature so of course people want everything possible real world tested all in the same place.

Aside from all of the argument over over the flow numbers, this is a great item to clean up the inside of your case if you don't like where you mounted your current pump/res. It is easy to work with and looks really good so overall it is very interesting since it is very different from most of the products you see on the market.

Xtreme Member
    Any idea when will new stocks be available worldwide?

I am Xtreme
    can someone add the tag for parallel, it says duel loops and thats politically incorrect and i wont stand for it. but i also cant spell parallel either so i wont be the one to do it

Xtreme Addict
    XS, where we boldly go, where no man has...

er...

one sec...

SPELLCHECK PLEASE!!!

this is getting ridiculous...
    "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands in times challenge and controversy."

Canon EOS 7D | Tokina 12-24mm f/4 | Canon EF 24-105 f/4 L | Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS Mk II | Canon EF 35mm f/1.4 L | Canon EF 400mm f/5.6 L | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4-5.6 L

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by hellcamino View Post

Amen, at that point. If you don't like the results or don't agree with them, state it and move on. We can argue all day about whether or not it is fair to compare this setup to a single loop/single pump all day long. The reality is, it is a single pump/res with no additions such as Y fittings. I am surprised that some folks from another forum are not happy to see the increased flow since they claim it isn't water cooling unless you have a RD30 in every loop of your system. When we compare blocks, we do not say "Well if you take block "A" and add this it would do better." That would be insane, as no setup is ever the same and reviews, especially this one, are about comparing apples to apples. It's simple, the T3 has better flow than a D5 with the stock top or the Koolance top (which represents after market D5 tops quite well) and too boot costs less and you can argue all day about the validity of it from a theoretical stand point till your blue in the face, but until you buy one and do the test yourself you don't have a leg to stand on, simple as that.

If you don't like the review, don't agree with it or don't believe it, state it and move on. No one said you had to buy the product, but until you do, you really can comment past the hypothetical. I also doubt anyone here has even tried the proposed "Y" fitting setup in their own loop, so even too try and argue they are the same is ridiculous unless you have tried it and can show that it is.

And finally, as far as the folks from the other site, I know I am on their crap list, don't really care. Feel free to quote me any time you want. If you want to have a debate, you can always ask, I am sure there are a couple sites left that you are not banned on. Not that it will be a long debate since some love to just regurgitate what they are told and never try it themselves. You want to come at me, fell free, but you better come with guns blazing because I can guarantee you that I have tried more setups, blocks, rads and water cooling than 90% from that site and I don't hide behind posting on another site quoting folks without letting them defend it.
    CPUID http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=554982
    New DO Stepping http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=555012
    4.8Ghz - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=794165

Desk Build
    FX8120 @ 4.6Ghz 24/7 / Asus Crosshair V /HD7970/ 8Gb (4x2Gb) Gskill 2133Mhz / Intel 320 160Gb OS Drive, WD 256GB Game Storage

W/C System
    (CPU) Swiftech HD (GPU) EK HD7970 with backplate (RAM) MIPS Ram block (Rad/Pump) 3 x Thermochill 120.3 triple rads and Dual MCP355's with Heatkiller dual top and Cyberdruid Prism res / B*P/Koolance Compression Fittings and Quick Disconnects.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nypunkgeek View Post
    My take on all of this is that people are just arguing over the adding of the two loops to get the score. It was always stated that you don't just put a Y right at your pump and do that since it is worse than a normal setup performance wise. So, logic would determine adding a Y to the other tops isn't going to get you a better number than what they are putting out in the configuration being tested. Then again people are curious by nature so of course people want everything possible real world tested all in the same place.

Aside from all of the argument over over the flow numbers, this is a great item to clean up the inside of your case if you don't like where you mounted your current pump/res. It is easy to work with and looks really good so overall it is very interesting since it is very different from most of the products you see on the market.
    I agree

I am Xtreme
    the only thing i could see being added to the review was cpu, gpu and water temperature, but that sounds like he would have to do a whole other review, and will probably be at least a week away

Xtreme Addict
    Wow, admit you can't spell (something that I am deeply embarrassed by at times) and your suddenly pandering. At the time of the AIM conversation where I couldn't spell parallel I barley knew Brian and I was trying to SELL this stranger a design. When you go to a business meeting in person you dress professionally and try to make a good impression right? Spelling like a 6th graders is not how you want to be seen. That was the truth, believe it or not. Go back through the pages of this very thread and look at ALL my posts from months back and see how many say edited for spelling. Almost ALL of them.

For those saying adding the flow for each loop (which IS the total flow through the T3) is misleading and that an average is more appropriate, fine. Even doing that the T3 still out performs by a good margin. For those wanting the Y numbers on pump tops that were not designed for them, that is also fine because depending on how restricted the loop is, the T3 will STILL beat them by 20-30+ percent and you don't have to buy extra parts and tinker with it to get it going.

The poster that said we need the T3 reviewed by more reviewers, I totally agree. Unfortunately there are not a lot of guys out there that will buy the expensive equipment needed then spend three weeks of their spare time doing what amounts to very repetitive very dull WORK benchmarking then write up the results and post them so they can be called names by people to lazy to read the whole review or who like piling on. Someone mentioned Martin. I would send him a T3 in a SECOND. I have offered to MANY times with no answer. I imagine he got tired of the hassle too. You should ALWAYS get information from as many sources as you can B4 a purchase.

Skinnee liked the T3 so automatically his results are suspect. That kind of irks me because he actually chose to be a good REVIEWER by judging the T3 on it's marketed merits. The other tops were not designed, manufactured, and marketed as a Parallel loop system that is easy to install and use. The T3 IS. When the other tops were reviewed they were not tested with Y's and parallel loops because that wasn't done till T3. We had a conversation about it and I said man don't take the abuse just do the Y tests because the T3 will STILL out perform AND be easier to use. He got back to me last night and said he did not feel like that was fair to the T3 and that he would just wait a few weeks and take the heat. Then do a separate article on parallel loops in general and post numbers for all the tops with Y's.

What company is going to spend the ton of cash and design time bringing an innovative new product to the market if reviewers alter old products that did not have the innovation/s are altered in the review? Look around. What was the last REALLY innovative water cooling product released? Not just a slight improvement, new top material or some other "new and improved" marketing sprinkled on?

Say what you want about the T3. It DOES out perform all the other pump tops for the D5 in flow numbers. Display the data as total flow through the pump, or the average of the PARALLEL loops, it STILL moves more water. Add Ghetto reservoirs and Y's to old tops. It STILL moves more water. Change the rules however you like--at the end of the day it will still move more water then ANY other D5 top sold today. It will STILL be very east to install and use. People who opt to use another top and try parallel loops will be doing that because of the Typhoon III. When we start seeing newer and better blocks that leverage higher flow rates, it will be because of the T3.

Xtreme Member
    A lot of work there skinnee, thank you.

First a disclaimer, I've read some of this thread but gave up several times when the heat started to melt my eyeballs.

At the risk of sounding stupid, exactly what question are we trying to answer here ?
    1) Does the Typhoon III increase the performance of the D5 relative to other available tops ?
    2) How much will flow rate increase if the components in a single loop are divided into 2 parallel strands ?
    3) How does the Typhoon III with parallel loops compare to a single loop or true 2 loop/2 pump set-up ?

Number one is answered clearly, for a single loop it appears on a par with the Koolance. The answer to number two is not so clear. I can see how the TIII performs with 2 parallel strands but the question of how any of the other configurations perform with a, mostly, equivalent configuration is left up in the air. Which brings me to number three. As the TIII is proposed as a solution for the those who wish to approach the performance of dual loops without the cost of a second pump, and possibly additional rads (someone will try it ), would it not be appropriate to compare the cooling performance of a TIII parallel set-up with

a) A single loop set-up.
    b) A true dual loop set-up.

Add the flows or don't add the flows the TIII certainly mixes them. In the real world I think the battle lies between

i) Full CPU load
    ii) Full GPU load
    iii) Full system load
    iv) 'Typical' mixed load
    Last edited by ecat; 07-24-2009 at 10:59 AM.

It will STILL be very east to install and use.
    Oops, I see another edit coming

I say don't worry about it, BoxGods. You'll never please everyone. The T3 has many positive attributes, and skinnee and other users have pointed those out. It may not be the perfect product for everyone - and I doubt you ever thought it would be. Let those folks choose something else - which I think has been said about 20 times in this thread already

I am Xtreme
    Wow, admit you can't spell (something that I am deeply embarrassed by at times) and your suddenly pandering.
    if you want to talk about bad grammar i had to google pander before i replied, (i also just spelled grammar as grammer, lol)

im one who depends on my spellchecker in firefox, and i would die without it. no joke, if i didnt spell check, i would be fired. (see how many lower case "i"s i just used)

theres the world of public relations, and the world of technical knowledge, and i know which one im in, and which one i need tools to survive in. i was actually agreeing with you in the bad spelling of parallel, which i learned how to spell properly thanks to this thread.

for the review itself, it does exactly as expected, it shows the flow of water through the pump. while that information is not the exact answer people are looking for, its a very powerful number none the less. adding the two loops together was a bonus to the charts, the separated results still exist. if anyone here is not impressed with the T3, it better be cause you paid for one and got a triple bonded, otherwise theres no excuses. this really is a revolutionary product (being sold out everywhere should tell the whole story)

Xtreme Addict
    hey, at least you did NOT have to be the only asian kid in Bed Stuy wearing a shirt that has a image of a baseball and says in BIG ARSE LETTERS:

"BASE BALL BALL"

i hated when relatives came over from Korea...

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    if you want to talk about bad grammar i had to google pander before i replied, (i also just spelled grammar as grammer, lol)

im one who depends on my spellchecker in firefox, and i would die without it. no joke, if i didnt spell check, i would be fired. (see how many lower case "i"s i just used)

theres the world of public relations, and the world of technical knowledge, and i know which one im in, and which one i need tools to survive in. i was actually agreeing with you in the bad spelling of parallel, which i learned how to spell properly thanks to this thread.

for the review itself, it does exactly as expected, it shows the flow of water through the pump. while that information is not the exact answer people are looking for, its a very powerful number none the less. adding the two loops together was a bonus to the charts, the separated results still exist. if anyone here is not impressed with the T3, it better be cause you paid for one and got a triple bonded, otherwise theres no excuses. this really is a revolutionary product (being sold out everywhere should tell the whole story)
    That's TOO funny because I actually said to myself while typing "Parallel" for the 12th time, "Well, at least I will be able to spell it now".

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by shazza View Post
    Oops, I see another edit coming

I say don't worry about it, BoxGods. You'll never please everyone. The T3 has many positive attributes, and skinnee and other users have pointed those out. It may not be the perfect product for everyone - and I doubt you ever thought it would be. Let those folks choose something else - which I think has been said about 20 times in this thread already

Ah dang it lol. I am actually missing a few finger parts (the tips of my fingers always seem to get in the way for some reason) which has worked out to be an awesome excuse for typo's =)

Chasing After Diety
    guys... just admit the loss... because i already have.

Number wise the T3 looks awesome.. so awesome its hard to believe... but unless something was seriously wrong with skinnee's instruments, i think his numbers would be correct.

I was talking with him for the 3 weeks as he was playing with this unit. I even got into an argument with him on his flow description. However, his numbers are there, the math add's up.

Since when was physics wrong when the numbers added up and the methods worked?

Anyhow boxgods, once again, great product, i will be getting one, cuz of you i have to go back to the ugly D5.

However i think im gonna chug your plastic compressions in my box of usless fittings as i dont like those. :T
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Banned

We had a conversation about it and I said man don't take the abuse just do the Y tests because the T3 will STILL out perform AND be easier to use. He got back to me last night and said he did not feel like that was fair to the T3 and that he would just wait a few weeks and take the heat. Then do a separate article on parallel loops in general and post numbers for all the tops with Y's.

What company is going to spend the ton of cash and design time bringing an innovative new product to the market if reviewers alter old products that did not have the innovation/s are altered in the review? Look around. What was the last REALLY innovative water cooling product released? Not just a slight improvement, new top material or some other "new and improved" marketing sprinkled on?
    The problem I have is there is nothing really innovative about this product if all it basically is is a pump top with a Y on the outlet. It is a product of convenience allowing you to combine a Y a pump and a res all into a small space but as far as performance is concerned if it performs the same as or worse than the other pump tops with a Y on them then there is nothing revolutionary about it and that is the problem I am having with it.

It is being marketed as "the next big step forward in water cooling" "The greatest innovation ever" etc... You can't make such bold statements and expect people to blindly believe them without backing it up with the proper data and I don't know about anyone else but right now the refusal to do the Y tests speaks louder than anything said about the product so far. Because i'm sure if the T3 actually "blew away the other pump tops" in a comparison with the Y then skinnee never would have said he didn't think it was fair to the T3. It would be more than fair, the only reason I can think of for anyone to hold this information back is because it shows the T3 in an unfavorable light. If it was favorable to the T3 i'm sure people would be shouting it from the mountain tops just like they did originally with the product.

Xtreme Addict
    then don't buy it...?
    come now... don't tell me you believe it when they say "9 out of 10 doctors approve..."
    if so, come, lemme sell you the brooklyn bridge... and heck, i'll throw in the statue of liberty...

this is only the first review... i'm sure many who doubt or support, will get their own and do their own comparisons...
    if it was flawed.. it will show... if not... cool... nothing to fight over...

OK ... the part I'm missing is, if a pump with a Y on the outlet worked as well as the T3, wouldn't that be something people would have been recommending for years - instead of always warning against parallel loops (for the most part)? I never got the impression skinnee was hiding from comparisons with a pump with a Y on the outlet - just that he has already invested 3 weeks testing this as is, and has other work to get to first.

From the simple way I look at it, the T3 is a nice bay reservoir. It has a nifty place to put the D5 pump. You have the option to run parallel loops (or not). For most configurations, it will be easy to fill and bleed ( I say most, cause I'm not to sure I'd be happy trying to use it without top fillports in my Mountain Mods cube). The data provided by skinnee shows that you get nice flowrates with it as well. BoxGods has explained that it does have some differences to a regular top/reservoir system - the main one I see is the amount of space for water at the inlet. This seems to increase the performance of the pump. I dunno, maybe I'm just not understanding the concerns.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast