Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 310111213

Thread: [Review] PrimoChill Typhoon III

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojamijams View Post
    I agree about that alachesu but the charts are quite misleading then... it shows it giving double the flow of the other tops.. now the other tops are going to have that flow all throughout the loop.

3.47 will never happen throughout the loop, just at the exit and then immediately split it in half (ie. performance through the loop will be exact same as all other tops)

Except now you're using the warm loop to heat up the cold loop..

so.. what am I missing here? I don't see the point
    Check the flow for each flow branch. You actually get a flow increase for the CPU/GPU branch compared to the serial setup. The T3 is basically a convenient way to run parallel loops with a slight tweak to improve high flow performance of the pump.

And I agree, the total flow bar is some what misleading, but if you actually think about what you are looking at I'm sure most people can figure it out
    "I don't have a masters degree, but even I know that mixing water and electronics is a stupid thing to do."
    My girlfriend.

"It's easy to get sideways at first thinking there is ONE BEST product for each area of water cooling. But, that's not always the case - depends on your exact setup and needs."
    shazza

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by alacheesu View Post
    Yes, I agree with you there. Putting those "through the pump" numbers in the same chart is comparing apples to oranges. The flow rates of the parallel loops are the ones that matter, and they're not much better than the series configurations.
    That is true. The T3 is not a miracle, it simply allows you to run parallel loops and obtain similar results to a dual loop without the need for a second pump and res. Also as most say here, the water temp doesn't change much more than a degree anyways.
    Project Millertime: The Core I5 build

Crunching/folding box on air: AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition; Sapphire Radeon HD 4830; Gigabyte MA78GM-US2H; Lian Li PC-V351; Windows 7 RC

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by millertime359 View Post
    That is true. The T3 is not a miracle, it simply allows you to run parallel loops and obtain similar results to a dual loop without the need for a second pump and res. Also as most say here, the water temp doesn't change much more than a degree anyways.
    I agree except for the dual loop part. Heat separation between the two loops is the number of one reason for running dual loop, and parallel loops does not offer that.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by alacheesu View Post
    I agree except for the dual loop part. Heat separation between the two loops is the number of one reason for running dual loop, and parallel loops does not offer that.
    That is true, but if you are looking for lowest temps possible on CPU, I would think a Chiller would be a bit better.

I keep referring to Norris as he is the only I have seen post results after doing it. He had a dual loop with DDCs and XSPC tops IIRC. He added in a T3 and say a degree improvement over his GPUs and same temp on the CPU.

IIRC, it was I7 920, full board block, and tri-slied 280s. Now he was also running a 320 rad in both loops. It was a XSPC or TC or something, forget the exact brand.

Now it was real world test, but it shows that you can still get similar temps.

As it has been said though, the T3 is not for everyone, but it is a nice option to have if you are a D5 owner.
    Project Millertime: The Core I5 build

Crunching/folding box on air: AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition; Sapphire Radeon HD 4830; Gigabyte MA78GM-US2H; Lian Li PC-V351; Windows 7 RC

Never go full retard
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojamijams View Post
    Why would you want to see the numbers? Obviously they would be slightly lower then a stock D5 would be... everyone here can agree to that without me even doing the test. Y fitting do not increase flow (clearly). So what would it prove?

I'm theorycrafting here obviously, but it looks like two single loops were measured and their GPMs added.. which would be wrong.

If thats not what happened then can someone explain the 2x increase over a standard/custom top? The numbers seem improbable.
    I DID NOT TEST SINGLE LOOPS AND JUST ADD THEM!!! I called this out in the initial review...

Quote Originally Posted by skinnee
    Note: Chart and graphs contain measurements for each split loop on the Typhoon III, the Lower and Top Inlet/Outlet flow rates are not a single serial loop. The Lower and Top Inlet/Outlets were measured with two flow meters, one for each Lower and Top Inlet/Outlets.
    Both legs were running and measured, similar to how the PQ testing was performed.

Whats the best way to show flow rate for parallel legs, subtract them, average them... bake them in a pie? Taking the flow rate of each leg and adding them together is the best way to show "System Flow". I've seen a lot of pissing and moaning regarding this, but no one has offered up a better way.

And in hindsight, the charts showing the System Flow rates were not ideal... I fully take the blame on that, live and learn I guess. Additionally, there was some additional testing on the Y'd loops.

As I stated in the original T3 review, the Single Loop (TITO used in the charts) performance on the T3 isn't earth shattering and does not match the DDC w/ XSPC V3 top or PQ boasting D5 tops. Parallel in general shows how seperating restriction from a serial loop to two legs can boost flow rate for each individual leg, but there is quite a bit of testing that needs to be done to either support or rule out the level of balancing. From what I am seeing on a purely flow rate perspective it doesn't appear that the balancing or planning is as crucial as we once thought.

There is another user who was experimenting with the T3 and some flow meters calling my data fabricated based on his findings, what he doesn't realize is that the flow rates he is seeing actually validates the PQ data and curves. Furthermore his experiments validates that poorly balanced legs can and will effect loop performance potentially decreasing flow to one of the legs and raising temperatures. Again, my tests and reviews are never a be-all end-all nor perfect... each test I run something new is learned and thats why I got into testing in the first place.

The biggest thing to take away here is actually quite simple... with the right components and loop setup, the T3 offers higher flow rates through the components than any other single pump+top can offer, aside from the Iwaki's of course.

And Bojamijams, no worries I'm not pointing a finger at you, just wanted to reiterate the method and findings.

I am Xtreme
    i am sorry but you have to be a ghey penix before you review a product and flame it before you even lay hands on it to have any credibility (I call it Andy-style).
    "Thing is, I no longer consider you a member but, rather a parasite...one that should be expunged."

All pictures are gone..

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 310111213