Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8910111213 LastLast

Thread: [Review] PrimoChill Typhoon III

Xtreme Addict
    What I meant by less worry was more that if you wanted to add a new part to parts you already had then you had options, or that you could try different options and were not limited to just one serial loop, or just parallel loops, and that you can try different combinations.

For new users who want to start with just a CPU block a single loop is fine, and if they want to add a second rad and some GPU blocks down the road then they can move to parallel loops if that offers better performance without having to buy a new pump--the more options you have the better your chances are for a good result.

Yes there is a configuration utility coming that will allow users to plug in different blocks, radiators etc in different combinations to more easily determine whats ideal for their specific set up. The Loopilator lol. All the data and the database portion are ready, just working on the front end now.
    Last edited by BoxGods; 07-28-2009 at 12:42 PM.

Xtreme Member
    That's some very interesting and good food for thought..

With the T3 out there now, I had been thinking of doing a new build with these two loops off of a T3:

CPU block -> Chipset block -> Rad_1 -> T3

3x GPU blocks (tri-SLI) -> Rad_2 -> T3

My only concern was determining if this was too much load for a single D5...

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ketzer7 View Post
    That's some very interesting and good food for thought..

With the T3 out there now, I had been thinking of doing a new build with these two loops off of a T3:

CPU block -> Chipset block -> Rad_1 -> T3

3x GPU blocks (tri-SLI) -> Rad_2 -> T3

My only concern was determining if this was too much load for a single D5...
    Regardless of the merits or caveats of the T3, I'm not sure this is really practical. GPU's are generally capable of running at much higher temps than a CPU, and sharing the same reservoir isn't going to keep your CPU temps down without some serious radiators... I think running two separate loops would be preferable.
    Project: OSIDIAS - CNC by Romaxx
    Losias Technologies & SFF Modding Forums

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowHunter
    dude, stop trying to create Skynet. at this point, the scale goes - metric tons of awesome < epic < overkill < you

Xtreme Mentor
    Thanks Martin for the insight. I can see where there could be an issue for some setups, I know for me personally with my setup I saw no real gains from a temp standpoint, but as I stated before in my quick, non-scientific review, I wasn't expecting any. What I did get was a simpler, cleaner and regardless of what has been said about my setup, it didn't hurt my temps on either my GPU side or CPU side. I know this comes a s surprise for some as it was for me too, but I can't argue with my own experience. As I said before, others may or may not get the same results. I know a lot find it hard to believe that a PA120.3 would be able to keep my 3 x GTX280's at 50c under load and that by combining it with my CPU loop (also has a PA120.3) that it wouldn't hurt my CPU temps. However, if you take in the fact that both loops were already at that level with separate loops, then why would anyone think that combining them would cause the temps to go up?

As far as the strain on the pump, I would worry, maybe, if I was running the EK Supreme or the Koolance and then some other very restrictive blocks, but for my setup, I did not see the flow go down, but up, which maybe I am wrong on this, but wouldn't that indicate that the pump is not working as hard?

OT: Now I am going to say this one last time for all the folks reading this, I have not been "Shilling" this product, nor will I. I gave an honest opinion of what I liked and didn't like and where I would have done things differently. This is no different when people have asked about EK, , Koolance or any other product I have owned and used. I call it like I see it, but I do it in a not so hateful way as some have. I have never attacked someone's review, even when I disagree with it, take a look at the Swiftech reviews done by Swiftech, I may not agree with them and I may state that, but I never attacked the review. I know some look at this as "Shilling", sorry, but it isn't, it's called being tactful and respecting the reviewer. If I want to dispute a reviews claim, I do my own testing and post it and then let people decide for themselves. I have no reason to do otherwise since I do not do mods for shows and need support or get free items. I do not do pro reviews, just my own experience with products I buy and if I get excited about something then so be it, doesn't mean I think the entire world should own one. I have had my fill with some of the comments directed at me, especially when I cannot respond to them due to where they are posted. If you want to debate something I state in a comment, feel free to post right after me, I love a good debate and I do not mind being wrong as long as I get a chance to debate it.
    CPUID http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=554982
    New DO Stepping http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=555012
    4.8Ghz - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=794165

Desk Build
    FX8120 @ 4.6Ghz 24/7 / Asus Crosshair V /HD7970/ 8Gb (4x2Gb) Gskill 2133Mhz / Intel 320 160Gb OS Drive, WD 256GB Game Storage

W/C System
    (CPU) Swiftech HD (GPU) EK HD7970 with backplate (RAM) MIPS Ram block (Rad/Pump) 3 x Thermochill 120.3 triple rads and Dual MCP355's with Heatkiller dual top and Cyberdruid Prism res / B*P/Koolance Compression Fittings and Quick Disconnects.

Xtreme Guru
    Someone call you out for Shilling Norris? It never came across to me as you were.

Thanks for the thoughts there Martian. I am now getting a little curious if i should try my GTZ MCW60 on one loop and MCR320-QP on the other. I was wanting to give it a try and see if it worked, but seeing I can't measure flow or anything in my system, I don't want to blow the pump up or anything.
    Project Millertime: The Core I5 build

Crunching/folding box on air: AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition; Sapphire Radeon HD 4830; Gigabyte MA78GM-US2H; Lian Li PC-V351; Windows 7 RC

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoxGods View Post
    What I meant by less worry was more that if you wanted to add a new part to parts you already had then you had options, or that you could try different options and were not limited to just one serial loop, or just parallel loops, and that you can try different combinations.

For new users who want to start with just a CPU block a single loop is fine, and if they want to add a second rad and some GPU blocks down the road then they can move to parallel loops if that offers better performance without having to buy a new pump--the more options you have the better your chances are for a good result.

Yes there is a configuration utility coming that will allow users to plug in different blocks, radiators etc in different combinations to more easily determine whats ideal for their specific set up. The Loopilator lol. All the data and the database portion are ready, just working on the front end now.
    Nice!

It would be great to have a little design guidance with parallel. Series is pretty hard to screw up, but parallel is different. Not hard, but at least some rough guidance should be provided so people get the best setup that can get.

Anyhow, thanks for the neat findings on parallel and product to take advantage of it. It's been ignored for far too long and certainly seems to have some application and possible benefits from the results. Maybe some of this math and calculation that's necessary for parallel setups will steer more conversations towards performance and science...THAT certainly can't be a bad thing...

Cheers!
    Martin

I am Xtreme
    wow Martin awesome insight. hmm i wanna see some dead pumps

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondacity View Post
    wow Martin awesome insight. hmm i wanna see some dead pumps
    Keep in mind I'm trying to caution based on experience I've had with large commercial pump design. AC and DC motors are so different, I don't know anything about electrical motors though. I just give them power and expect them to turn for me...lol!

One thing is for sure that the DDC and D5 have been through several design iterations. I have found that the D5 and the DDC are both now "Overvoltage" protected, so it's very possible they are RPM limited somehow to protect things like running at max flow as well.

Maybe someone can check with Laing and ask if there is any concern with running the D5 near max flow (zero pressure) continuously, or if there was some optimal point to target?

Xtreme Addict
    Martin were those pumps you were using in your above described scenario positive displacement pumps? If so those should operate much differently than a mag drive pump with a fixed rpm, if you cut off the flow in a lcs with a mag drive the impeller keeps spinning and the pump will eventually overheat due to lack of circulation but a positive displacement pump (mechanically linked) will either burst a tube or blow a breaker (if it's appropriately sized) when you stop the flow. Both pumps are designed to operate against a load but unless the positive displacement type has some kind of rpm limiter it will just keep spinning up until something fails if it has too little of a load.
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    I don't care, I'm running out of popcorn waiting for the results..

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Utnorris View Post
    As far as the strain on the pump, I would worry, maybe, if I was running the EK Supreme or the Koolance and then some other very restrictive blocks, but for my setup, I did not see the flow go down, but up, which maybe I am wrong on this, but wouldn't that indicate that the pump is not working as hard?
    Pumps are backwards from common sense. I don't understand it either, just measured it.

Pumps draw more current and work hard the less restriction they have. Go figure!??

This is an old test, and I screwed up by only testing at the outlet, but you can see the pump draw goes up with more flow rate:

It only draws around 16 watts at 0 flow rate and around 29 watts where I could no longer measure. This same thing has occurred with every pump I have tested.

Why I don't know, something to do with how electrical motors work. Maybe one of the electrical folks can chime in why...

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by hellcamino View Post
    Martin were those pumps you were using in your above described scenario positive displacement pumps? If so those should operate much differently than a mag drive pump with a fixed rpm, if you cut off the flow in a lcs with a mag drive the impeller keeps spinning and the pump will eventually overheat due to lack of circulation but a positive displacement pump (mechanically linked) will either burst a tube or blow a breaker (if it's appropriately sized) when you stop the flow. Both pumps are designed to operate against a load but unless the positive displacement type has some kind of rpm limiter it will just keep spinning up until something fails if it has too little of a load.
    No they were standard 2" centrifugal pumps. They were a 2" pump with a 5HP 220V electrical motor. Full Load Amps on the motors was 22.4 and I was drawing over 34 amps because my load was so small.

My original setup (very low restriction) was causing the pumps to draw around 34amps which was kicking the circuit breaker. After added a tuning valve of sorts to the outlet and introducing some artificial restriction, I was able to get that down to 28 amps and fix my draw problem.

Anyhow, I don't design pumping systems very often, so it was pretty enlightening for me. I paid over $2K for each of these pumps under contract and had a serious issue that was due to my system being too low in restriction. Something new to me, although after talking with a guy at work that previously managed our city's water system, he made it sound like it's common practice to install valves at both ends of pumps that operate continuously and pressure meters to tune these sorts of things.

Anyhow, little things we ignore in our water cooling loops are a much bigger deal with commercial pumping systems.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by millertime359 View Post
    Thanks for the thoughts there Martian. I am now getting a little curious if i should try my GTZ MCW60 on one loop and MCR320-QP on the other. I was wanting to give it a try and see if it worked, but seeing I can't measure flow or anything in my system, I don't want to blow the pump up or anything.
    Think balanced pressure drop on each loop.

The GTZ is much more restrictive than the MCW60 or MC320, so on that, you'd probably want to run the GTZ on one side and the MCW60 and MCR320 on the other side.

You can keep it simple by looking at pressure drop at one point. Pick 1.5GPM as your reference point.
    Per swiftech's charts:

GTZ is around a 2.4PSI drop at 1.5 GPM

MCW60 is about .8PSI

MCR320 is about .6PSI

So you'd have around 2.4PSI on the CPU and 1.3PSI on the GPU/Rad.

This probably isn't balanced enough to use parallel. You'd get a fair amount more flow on the GPU/RAD side and your CPU side may do worse than series. Maybe after you add some chipset blocks or a more restrictive GPU block?...

Anyhow, that's as far as I'd go with it...doesn't have to be an exact science. Skinnee is showing that he got gains when his loops weren't perfectly balanced, so I know there has got to be some leeway. How much, I'm not sure..

Xtreme Addict
    You are still talking about a mechanically driven electric pump and the same rules for restriction apply, without rpm limiters they will rev until something breaks if not enough restriction is built into the system. A fixed rpm mag drive pump shouldn't suffer from this type of problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    I don't care, I'm running out of popcorn waiting for the results..

Xtreme Guru
    Thanks for that Martian. I'm switching to distilled water now, so maybe I will just try a couple of different combos and see how the temps vary. If they even do. What is the best way (cheapest) to tell if I am putting to much strain on the pump, or should I not even worry?

Crunching/folding box on air: AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition; Sapphire Radeon HD 4830; Gigabyte MA78GM-US2H; Lian Li PC-V351; Windows 7 RC

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by hellcamino View Post
    You are still talking about a mechanically driven electric pump and the same rules for restriction apply, without rpm limiters they will rev until something breaks if not enough restriction is built into the system. A fixed rpm mag drive pump shouldn't suffer from this type of problem.
    Cool!

I told you I don't know anything about electrical motors. Sounds like there's nothing to worry about with the low restriction then.

Thanks for clarifying..

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Thanks for that Martian. I'm switching to distilled water now, so maybe I will just try a couple of different combos and see how the temps vary. If they even do. What is the best way (cheapest) to tell if I am putting to much strain on the pump, or should I not even worry?
    It's sounding like the pump speed may not be an issue with these small DC mag drive pumps.

Give it a shot..let us know..

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinm210 View Post
    It's sounding like the pump speed may not be an issue with these small DC mag drive pumps.

Give it a shot..let us know..
    Great, thanks Martin. I will start playing with it then

Xtreme Addict
    The RPM limiting would explain why the power draw on Skinnee's graphs does not really alter that much from the low flow to the high flow, both are well within the sweet spot on the curve.

I am digging around to see what I can find out on RPM limiting on the D5. Maybe I can figure out how to overclock it lol

I'M KIDDING!

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by BoxGods View Post
    The RPM limiting would explain why the power draw on Skinnee's graphs does not really alter that much from the low flow to the high flow, both are well within the sweet spot on the curve.

I am digging around to see what I can find out on RPM limiting on the D5. Maybe I can figure out how to overclock it lol

I'M KIDDING!
    Oh, that's easy. . .24v Meanwell.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Admin
    Laing pumps have a lot of control circuitry...there should be little worry about pushing it too hard these days. If you want to overclock a D5, get the D5 Strong and hook it up to a 24V PSU. Power consumption gets ridiculous, but performance actually gets a healthy boost (at least compared to the paltry boost a D5 Vario gets from going to 24V)

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterlogged View Post
    Oh, that's easy. . .24v Meanwell.
    Why did Tim Allen and Tool Time come to mind when I read that.

I am Xtreme
    Har har har
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Xtreme Addict
    So if I had 2 gtz and 2 radiators in the loop with the exact same pressure drop in parallel and got say 1.6gpm. Would series be lower than if I had gtz-gtz-rad1-rad2 in series?

Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogerlad View Post
    So if I had 2 gtz and 2 radiators in the loop with the exact same pressure drop in parallel and got say 1.6gpm. Would series be lower than if I had gtz-gtz-rad1-rad2 in series?
    Yeah...with dual loops at 1.6GPM each on the D5+T3, you'd get like 1.3-1.35GPM with a D5+EKv2 or like 1.4-1.45GPM with a DDC3.2 + XSPC Res Top

Xtreme Addict
    OH NOOOs...that is EXACTLY what I thought when I read that. I even did the Tim Allen "grunt" evil laugh lol.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8910111213 LastLast