Thread: Review of Phobya 1/2 ID compression fittings

Review of Phobya 1/2 ID compression fittings

Item description
    1/2" ID 3/4" OD compression fitting in Black Nickel finish (G1/4 thread)

Manufacturer
    Phobya

Cost
    £3.29

Supplier
    The Water Cooling Shop

Description and overview
    Compression fitting for use with 1/2" ID 3/4" OD Tubing. The item comprises of 3 parts. the main body, the knurled compression band and the "O" ring. The fitting comes fully assembled and although the compression band must be removed to fit the hose, the "O" ring should never be removed.

Packaging and first impressions.
    The fitting comes packaged all on its own in a very simple plastic wrapper somewhat reminiscent of a small packet of salted nuts, both in the feel of the packaging and the noise it makes when you try to open it. The packaging does not scream quality at you, but then neither are you left wondering just how much of the money you paid for the fitting went into the packaging and not the item itself. So a bit of a double edged sword and a line that must be a hard one to walk for a manufacturer. Personally as long as the packaging does its job it's all I ask and as the majority of PC components these days are bought on-line there is very little need for the packaging to have shelf presence and "Wow" factor to attract you to them in a shop. The similarities with packets of nuts didn't end there though, it took a considerable amount of force to get the little packet open, and get the little bleeder out, and whereas with a bag of nuts should you apply too much force and the packet open suddenly you could potentially cover the surrounding area with nuts, the weight and heft of the content of this packet gave the distinct impression that get it wrong and you could potentially put a dent in your ceiling. Still I guess you could always just snip the top off with a pair of scissors!
    Once out of its protective wrappings the fitting could be examined. It has a quality feel to it, aided by its weight and a reasonable quality finish. As I mentioned there's a feeling of heft to it, a feeling that if thrown it would do substantial damage to whatever it hit. (It does in fact weigh in at 40g). I wouldn't say it's the best finish available out there, certainly other manufacturers have components that are finished to a much higher standard than this, but then they cost 2-3 times more. By comparison there are also other brands on the market that have an inferior finish to them that compete at the same price point.

Instructions
    Simply put it doesn't come with any, and to be honest if you need instructions for a compression fitting you probably shouldn't be allowed near a computer without supervision, let alone be undertaking an activity which potentially involves mixing water and electricity.

Fitting.
    The Compression fitting comes fully assembled necessitating the removal of the compression collar to insert the hose onto the main body. In fiddling with the part while reviewing it I turned the compression band fully clockwise to see just where the end of the thread would be so as I would be better informed when tightening with the hose in situ. having reached the end of its thread it then proved very difficult to undo, necessitating the use of a set of pliers. Whereas I wouldn't necessarily call this a fault it is something to be wary of, and it certainly induced a degree of panic in me when for a moment I thought I'd got it stuck.

Performance and Quality.
    In days of yore a compression fitting only had one job to do, namely keep the water from spilling over your valuable components. Alas the life of a modern compression fitting is not as simple as its forbears. the fittings of today have to this, of course they do, but they have to do this and look sexy at the same time. The sample for this review comes dressed in the very latest black Nickel outfit, however if you prefer your suits more traditional the range is also available in the equally stunning Chromed Nickel finish.
    I fitted the Compressions using PTFE tape to supplement the "O" ring seal. In total 6 units were tested and over a 2 month period no leaks have been detected, so I guess this not only looks good but gets the job done.

Conclusion.
    Good quality fittings at a very reasonable price. Available in two finishes, time and money looks to have been spent on the product rather than fancy packaging.

Good points.
    Price
    Good finish

Bad points.
    feel and look of packaging does not give impression of quality product within.
    Would I want to spend more to make the packaging better? No.

How could the product be improved?
    As a product range it could perhaps be made available in a larger variety of colours. I'd suggest matt black and gloss black as well as perhaps red and white.

Xtreme Mentor
    Was there a specific reason you used PFTE tape? Was it on acrylic? Don't know that it really makes a difference, but I as many don't use PTFE tape.

Might of lost a bit on the oring seal part of the review, is the seat deep enough etc by using the tape.

Thanks, pretty good review!
    All stock for now, no need for more, but it's gonna be soon methinks.
    Giga Xtreme 58 mobo i7 965 ES D0 step Corsair 1600 6 gig
    SLI GTX470 EVGA
    EK HF nickle blue top CPU block (free from Eddie)
    Koolance 470 waterblocks
    One big loop, two 120x3 rads. Pa 120.3 and XSPC RX 120x3. Swiftech 35x pump with V2 restop. GT AP15 fans.
    Banchetto Tech Station
    120 GB SSD, and a few other drives.
    1000W UltraX3 PSU, 900 watt (1500VA UPS
    23.999" Acer GD235hz and 24" Acer H243H

The O ring is perfectly sufficient. However, I'm a bit of a belt and braces sort of person and although by no means necessary, as the PTFE can only improve the seal I chose to use it. With the PTFE tape in place the O ring still makes excellent contact with the seat.

Xtreme Member
    Used the 3/8" ones in nearly all my builds so far without any technical issues, straight, right angled and 45° ones. In fact the only fittings I've had leak on my were bitspower rotatable 45°'s and a wierd koolance swivel fitting.
    | Completed: Project "Simples" | Custom TJ07 | P67A-UD3 | 2600K | GTX460 | MCR320+MCR220 | DDC 18W+XSPC Res |
    | In progress: Project "Weebeastie" | A70B | P6T7 WS | i7-970 | 4xGTX470 | PA120.3+RX240+TFC120 | XSPC Dual-Pump-BayRes |
    | In progress: Project "Gemini" | PC-P80B | EVGA SR-2 | 2xX5650 | 7100GS | PA140.3 | EK DCP-4.0 |

I also used quite a few of the Phobya 45 degree rotary fittings and one of the multi angle rotaries (like a double elbow) and have found them all to be good. On the whole very impressed with stuff from this company.