Thread: Modifying Swiftech Storm mounting plate. (for XBOX 360 water cooling)

Xtreme Member

Modifying Swiftech Storm mounting plate. (for XBOX 360 water cooling)

Well, originally it just started off as "I need to do something about the lock ups before I find myself being RROD'd." The solution to that was very simple: rip the thing apart and put a desk fan on top of it blowing down on that massive heatsink of theirs.

I decided to experiment a little with that solution, first, I just ripped the top off and put the desk fan on top of the CPU only. This didn't actually make any difference at all. So then I took it apart a little further and put the DVD drive next to the hard drive, desk fan on top of the case situated to blow on both GPU and CPU evenly: lock ups were gone, but I was still experiencing terrible graphical glitches.

So then I googled the problem: I know, a little on the late side to wisdom here, but that's the way I am, I troubleshoot on my own first, look for other peoples experiences only after my own have exhausted my possible solutions.

What I found out surprised me, it seems that the GPU on the XBOX 360 is actually the worst heat producing component of the entire system... WTF! So the worst heat-producer in the entire system has the smallest portion of the heatsink, the least air being blown on it, and a DVD drive right smack on top of it!? Now that's brilliance in engineering! No wonder so many people report graphical glitches and lock ups and eventually - RROD. So my thoughts then turned to putting the bugger in a larger case... And while I was wondering how best to handle cooling the beast, with more room to work in, I remembered that I still had twin Swiftech Storms rev2 laying about. I only used them for a very very short time in a dual-cpu dual-core server/workstation setup before upgrading to my native quad-core intel i7 setup.

So I decide to find out if they'll fit OK on the XBOX 360 CPU and GPU dies: They're already bare-die and they're extremely small dies... the problem wasn't really the dies themselves, but the space around them... Anyways, sure enough, the blocks will fit. I just have one remaining problem: mounting.

See, the 360's mounting holes are identical for both the CPU and GPU, and they're perfect squares... and... they're not as wide apart as the "perfect square" mounting holes on the Storm.

How best would I modify the Swiftech Storm mounting holes? I was kind of thinking that I'd try to measure directly and if it still fits within the area of the mounting plate, I'd just drill new holes in the right spots, but if it's like, right at the edge or something, and I have to make the plate larger, should i just cut the plate away a little, make a new plate with the right sizes, and screw that plate onto the existing plate or what?

Make a new plate, take the block apart to remove the current plate, and insert the new plate? Is that solution even possible? Would likely be best if so.

the storm plate has a lot of holes for a lot of sockets, so making a new plate for that reason alone is IMHO already worth it.
    But the most important is the plate being short.