Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: Home made UV dyes

Chasing After Diety
    One of u punks who took the clear UV blue sample SHOW PICTURES!!!

cuz of u guys i didnt get one and im sad..

I would love closeups on your blocks or acrylic also, to see how the clear UV stains...
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by NaeKuh View Post
    One of u punks who took the clear UV blue sample SHOW PICTURES!!!

cuz of u guys i didnt get one and im sad..

I would love closeups on your blocks or acrylic also, to see how the clear UV stains...
    Ill be ordering some more soon and ill send you one in the new bottles. Wont be for a good week or so but it will give you a chance to play anyway.

there has been a lot of bottles that went out and very few ppl have posted about them on most of the forums .. but that's humans for you ..

Ill take some pics of me taking the micky and dipping sections of tube and copper at 1000x the strength of the dyes to make staining happen over a 2 week periods in very hot conditions.. The clear UV hasn't stained any thing yet. There is a tiny amount of a slight yellow build up but that because i over dosed the systems. Personally i think under normal conditions its going to take a hell of a long time.
    Last edited by mlwood37; 08-05-2009 at 04:04 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Oky some real results of staining here :-

All were left in Heated cupboard at 50 /60c for 2 weeks 24/7 in still untreated water (no anti bacteria stuff)..

All dyes were at over 1000% increased dose.

Pictures are below -

Pics of Pink dye with clear silicone tubing and copper pipe. The pip was all slightly frosted and not pure clear.

Staining to tube and tiny amount of staining to copper as in it has a slight tinge to it. This was easily rubbed off buy finger afterwards. The tubing how ever didn't fair so well but i did use cheap 25p a meter stuff ...

Pics of UV orange same as above. Tubing gone orange and copper hardly stained at all.

UV clear .. no staining at all on both tubing and pipe. (though it would but it didn't i was pretty amazed)

So yes over a period of time it will stain but i have gone to the extreme to make this happen and you would have to buy 10 to 15 x 10ml bottle to get the same effect in the same space of time. But i think i would rather show you that it is possible. So like ive said before its a unavoidable aspect of colouring your system and NO dye on the market for water cooling can avoid this.

Im not testing out other brands though so please dont ask you can do that your self as im not going to cause any problems with any one else.

oh btw no photo editing has gone on these are straight off the camera all taken at same exposure ect ect.
    Last edited by mlwood37; 08-05-2009 at 04:03 PM.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by mlwood37 View Post
    Ill be ordering some more soon and ill send you one in the new bottles. Wont be for a good week or so but it will give you a chance to play anyway.

there has been a lot of bottles that went out and very few ppl have posted about them on most of the forums .. but that's humans for you ..

Ill take some pics of me taking the micky and dipping sections of tube and copper at 1000x the strength of the dyes to make staining happen over a 2 week periods in very hot conditions.. The clear UV hasn't stained any thing yet. There is a tiny amount of a slight yellow build up but that because i over dosed the systems. Personally i think under normal conditions its going to take a hell of a long time.
    mlwood37, Tell you what, give the ppl you sent samples to until the 15th to report in. Those that don't, post their nicks on every forum your doing this on and call them out for the scum that they are, so they'll never get another free sample. That'll teach 'em.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Xtreme Addict
    I will have some sample pics of the green up tomorrow. If I don't please bug the crap out of me.

Xtreme Addict
    lol you making every one fret now. lol. If ppl don't say any thing then that's a good thing ..

Dont worrie no names will be posted im wont be doing that lol.

Xtreme Addict
    lol you making every one fret now. lol. If ppl don't say any thing then that's a good thing ..

Dont worrie no names will be posted im wont be doing that lol.
    Nah, I had planned on doing it anyway.

You were kind enough to send out samples and you are actually posting honest results of possible negatives of your products. Such a businessman certainly doesn't deserve to be screwed.

Xtreme Addict
    news as such

1) Looking into silver dye (to see if it can be done)
    2) pearlesnt dye
    3) best one Heat sensitive changing Dye.

People that do post info on there samples will get to play with the new ones as there made.

Chasing After Diety
    Dude im so loving the clear UV even more now...

Yeah if i had a sample, i think ud have pictures from me already by now. :P

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Guilt-trip !!! Hehe

Chasing After Diety
    well if u think about it... its like this..

he used 10x concentration, which would mean litterally 20 drops, or around 1mL.

If thats all the staining that was involved with all that dye... im sold.

I was never a bright person. My case has UV lights on the pumps as a visual tool to see if my impellers are turning.

i am down for any dye as long as it doesnt leave a noticeable stain. All the premixes ive used ended up staining.. which is why i completely avoid premix.

Xtreme Addict
    thnks guys i think if any one is nuts enough to put 1 x 10ml bottle into a single loop and have it on 24/7 there gonna get the same effect pretty fast.

I can say 1 thing though. the tubing doesn't half glow afterwards ...

Cheap way of making your own colour Tubing hehe.

p.s im going to have to order some more bottles ..

Chasing After Diety
    I can say 1 thing though. the tubing doesn't half glow afterwards ...
    will it change colors with heat like hypercolor tshirts?

J/K...

im gonna be waiting for your clear UV as i would really like to try it out.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Hehe, NaeKuh, it's a shame we already had the annual Subtlety awards, you'd be a shoe in !

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by NaeKuh View Post
    well if u think about it... its like this..

he used 10x concentration, which would mean litterally 20 drops, or around 1mL.

If thats all the staining that was involved with all that dye... im sold.

I was never a bright person. My case has UV lights on the pumps as a visual tool to see if my impellers are turning.

i am down for any dye as long as it doesnt leave a noticeable stain. All the premixes ive used ended up staining.. which is why i completely avoid premix.
    I totally agree man.

I'm getting 2 bottles myself

Xtreme Addict
    Alright, some pics of the UV Green:

1 drop. Lots of light.

1 drop. Some light + UV.

1 drop. UV only.

1 drop. Lots of light + UV.

3 drops. Some light.

My apologize on the image quality; my setup was fairly rushed.

The big thing I noticed was that light really changes the look of the fluid. If you have a lot of bright light on it it looks more yellow than green. This effect can be mitigated by using more dye. This was apparent when I added it to my loop. The difference between one and two drops wasn't that huge and adding a third drop was barely noticeable. However, when you add a bunch of bright white light to my case the difference is very noticeable. Something to think about anyway.

Aside from that issue, which I don't think will come up too often when not taking pictures, the color is a very nice bright green. With UV light it almost perfectly matches the connectors on my DFI X58 board. Within the next 30 days I should have a more permanent build using this dye, which I will take pics of.

Be careful when handling this stuff. I don't think it is so bad when diluted (I spilled a bit out of the glass and it didn't make a mess at all), but I got some straight out of the bottle on my hand and my fingers were dyed yellow-green for about a day. Not so bad when compared to my experience with silver nitrate, but I can only imagine what it would do to clothes. Part of the double edged sword of it being strong I guess.

EDIT: HA! 11:59, told you I would get this done today.
    Last edited by faster3200; 08-07-2009 at 07:27 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Be careful when handling this stuff. I don't think it is so bad when diluted (I spilled a bit out of the glass and it didn't make a mess at all), but I got some straight out of the bottle on my hand and my fingers were dyed yellow-green for about a day. Not so bad when compared to my experience with silver nitrate, but I can only imagine what it would do to clothes. Part of the double edged sword of it being strong I guess.
    Yup its pretty strong.

I agree under normal shaded light it does look as bright. Under white or UV it looks good.

Did i send the warning sheet with your's.

Xtreme Addict
    Yup its pretty strong.

I agree under normal shaded light it does look as bright. Under white or UV it looks good.

Did i send the warning sheet with your's.
    You did, but clearly I choose to ignore it.
    Now I am off to wake my sisters up with some roman candles, wish me luck.

Xtreme Member
    A deep purple would be nice.

Smoke on the water

Xtreme Addict
    all ready have a purple but deep purple stains. Any Deep UV colour has problems.

The best way is to make your own buy mixing colours.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Just got my sample of Yellow this weekend, I will try it out and post a review this week !

Xtreme Addict
    r u sure its not yellow/green you asked for .... I think i sent you out yellow green lol ...

Clear blue back in stock.

I need to make clear pricing now as bottles are a little cheaper. All so testing out new colours.

Xtreme Addict
    New colour ready for selling is

Green ... (not yellow / green) just pure green.

This is not as strong a green as the yellow / green but seem to be much nicer colour and a little sharper. Will do some pics ect ect to show it off.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    r u sure its not yellow/green you asked for .... I think i sent you out yellow green lol ...

Clear blue back in stock.

I need to make clear pricing now as bottles are a little cheaper. All so testing out new colours.
    You definitely sent me the regular yellow. When I first opened the bottle, it looked blood red, and I thought to myself "WTF ?! Did he send me Red by accident ?" Then I put a couple drops in a glass

First impressions on the Yellow:
    - You do need more dye to get your desired colour with this light of a dye. The test loop I put it in (about a one liter loop) took nearly 5 drops to get a good yellow colour out of it in high-light situations.

- If you have any light shining through the liquid from behind, it will look pink. Not quite sure why it refracts pink, but it does. Reminds me of Pink Lemonade when I had the light source behind the liquid.

- If you are using purely reflective lighting (the light source is on the same side of the reservoir/tubing as the viewer) then it has a distinct yellow colour. Adding more dye makes it a nice shade of orange, that resembles an almost-ripe orange (the fruit, in case you didn't catch on).

- When you first add this dye to your loop, make sure you give it time to mix and circulate through the loop. The colour increases in intensity as the last remaining dye that was floating on the surface of your res finally dissipates throughout the loop. Put in the recommended amount of dye first, and let the loop sit for 10 minutes or so before determining if it is too weak. I made the mistake of adding dye to the res and just agitating it, then putting more in, until I got the desired colour, and after 15 minutes the colour was MUCH darker and more solid than it was before.

Now, all I need is a night where I am not busy, and I will do some UV testing, and a bunch of pictures !

Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast