Thread: New Big WUs 8 Cores Required Extra Points

Xtreme Cruncher

New Big WUs 8 Cores Required Extra Points

If anyone is interested I saw this over at the FF, Linux and OSX only and 8 cores required. There is a drop in client that is statically linked and a new flag to add...

http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?t=10697

(o.O)
    that's pretty insane. way to step up the processor usage though, I do like the fact that if you have crazy hardware, you can get crazy points.
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 Yorkfield @ 3.2GHz | Asus P5Q Deluxe mobo | 2x OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) | Sapphire 4870x2 | Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB 10k RPM | Intel 120GB SSD | Western Digital Caviar SE16 640GB 7200 RPM | Hitachi 2TB 7200 RPM | PCP&C 750W Power Supply |Cooler Master HAF932 | Windows 7 64-bit | Dell ULTRASHARP 2408WFP 24-inch Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor

Join Us in the XS World Community Grid Forum & Help Fight Cancer and Other Diseases

Xtreme Member
    They did say it might be possible to use core i7s if they are clocked high enough which shouldn't be a problem here

Banned
    I do like the fact that if you have crazy hardware, you can get crazy points.
    they say it might be the same as the SMP client at the bottom line (just possibly more efficient),
    the change is in the WU size and calculation, basically u should get about the same PPD..
    op, edit: yeah, the faster you do it, the better it scores.

p.s - that clarifyes this new PDC member atlast,
    note he went from 25M last week (per week) to 40M this one..
    he's going realy fast...
    Last edited by onex; 07-18-2009 at 03:41 AM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    i know it says 8 cores im wondering how a socket f 2x6 12 core istanbul would do in that project.that's going be my build in december im waiting to see new
    motherboards that will scale better in ocing with out doing a volt mod to it
    time will tell i guess.

Xtreme Addict
    I guess your new build will do pretty good because it the announcement actually says 8+ cores. I demand a build log if you're doing this!

I wonder if there really will be Skully2 and what would be the better option for these new work units, that or a 12 core Phenom workstation.
    The XS Folding@Home team needs your help! Join us and help fight diseases with your CPU and GPU!!

Xtreme Cruncher
    i will post the work log if i can afford that build come December so far things are looking good and most likely im going to be a thorn in the side of the AMD section. im going to make them crazy a noob with a server board that hasn't got a clue that's probably going to be the title of the thread

Xtreme Addict
    Haha, sounds to me as if the whole build is guaranteed to be awesome and fun!
    The XS Folding@Home team needs your help! Join us and help fight diseases with your CPU and GPU!!

Banned
    good luck mate .