Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast

Thread: Chiller/ac unit

Banned
    Last edited by jamaljaco; 03-29-2004 at 10:23 PM.

Banned
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dsc00723 copy.jpg 
Views:	4943 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	6693  
    Last edited by jamaljaco; 03-29-2004 at 10:25 PM.

Banned
    When I got them home I opened them up. I checked the wires most of it in bad shape but workable . I pluged them in fired them up and was a bit suprised when they both worked ! Awsome!thease thing sat outside in the rain for three years.At least.

Name:	dsc00724 copy.jpg 
Views:	4755 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	6694  

Banned
    This is the unit I used after a night in the basement with four rattle cans . Remember it looked just like the other.I removed all the unwanted switching,wires,spare sheet metal.sanded ,removed rust scale ,sanded washed wiped and polished all the coper.

Name:	dsc00450 copy.jpg 
Views:	5235 
Size:	184.9 KB 
ID:	6695  

Banned
    After the wiring, I mounted a single toggle to fire the thing up. Note the start capacitor painted copper and nestled under the tubing didnt have room for much after mounting our beloved beer cooler on the factory baseplate.

Name:	dsc00726 copy.jpg 
Views:	4664 
Size:	110.2 KB 
ID:	6696  

Banned
    I forced the evaporator up against the side of the tank to form a seperate section for the returning fluid. I couldnt get mine to go in diagonal as Gary sugested.

Name:	dsc00683 copy.jpg 
Views:	5197 
Size:	136.1 KB 
ID:	6700  

Banned
    This fitting is connected to the outflow of a Danner mag 5. Shoving the Danner into place was a bit dicey. It would only go in one oriention with the room allowed by my evap. Getting it deep enough to fit below the suction line and water level took forcing it down into the narrowing bottom of our beloved beer cooler. Distorting it so the lid was now ill fitting .Thats why you see the extra weather striping around the lid seal.

Name:	dsc00717 copy.jpg 
Views:	5028 
Size:	103.7 KB 
ID:	6701  

Banned
    After notching for the plumbing I just filled the excess space with weather stripping. The holes for the coolant lines can be drilled

Name:	dsc00716 copy.jpg 
Views:	8599 
Size:	101.3 KB 
ID:	6702  

Banned
    Here it is at its final resting place. On some sturdy plastic shelving for 15 bucks from home depot.

Name:	dsc00739.jpg 
Views:	4663 
Size:	81.4 KB 
ID:	6703  

Banned
    I'm currently cooling my cpu and nb. Both blocks from Danger Den. I'm using the maze3 and thier Z block on the nb. the maze3 is a bit large extending beyond the socket area making it a bit of a pig to insulate. I chose all .500" fittings and .500 ID tubing .The tubing is Tygon . Tygon has a lower brittle temp and is designed to take harsh chemicals. I'm running ethanol denatured with methanol about 30% to about 70% Prestone Dex-Cool.

Name:	dsc00753 copy.jpg 
Views:	8629 
Size:	137.9 KB 
ID:	6705  

Banned
    Well there it is, -25c both chips under normal load. The coolant temp stays pretty constant Iv'e only seen it raise 2c loaded as hot as I can get it. Iv'e gained 216 mhz over my ambient temp water cooling . Thats more than the power of Gary's system. Hehe.

Name:	dsc00732 copy.jpg 
Views:	8573 
Size:	136.5 KB 
ID:	6706  

Banned
    I'll have that vid card in the circuit in a couple weeks ..

X.I.P.
    WOW... Very nice work.

I like your way of making a compartment for the returning coolant. How did you get it to stay in position?

I see the condenser fan shroud is missing. This allows condenser air to recirculate rather than being forced to flow through the condenser. You need to build a shroud for it to get maximum flow through the condenser.

Author - Refrigeration Trouble Shooting Books

Want to learn more? Click Here

X.I.P.
    Iv'e gained 216 mhz over my ambient temp water cooling . Thats more than the power of Gary's system. Hehe.
    My beloved pentium 60mhz has finally gone the way of the dinosaurs. I have pieced together a 166mhz now, cannibalizing 3 old computers in the process, and am having nothing but problems. Anybody know what a vcache is? Mine seems to be full... LOL

Author - Refrigeration Trouble Shooting Books

Want to learn more? Click Here

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Originally posted by jamaljaco
    I'll have that vid card in the circuit in a couple weeks ..
    that rig is a thing of beauty! i like it
    did you paint that compressor in that nice blueish color or was it like that from the beginning (after cleaning, of course)? awesome, so now i have to get my chiller up and running!

also... those 92db in your sig aren't for real, are they? i mean 92db .. i was freaking out with my coolermaster at 47db and 92db is like 4 times as loud as that..
    btw what is the throughput of that biga** fan? my chiller had a 120mm papst 4650n installed (94cfm, 46db). i replaced it with 2 deltas running at 7v (got 3 more if needed ) and it's pretty quiet right now. also - as gary noted - close the space around the fan so the air is pushed only through the condenser.
    sky / s!p - we are oldskool, dammit.

Banned
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Gary Lloyd
    WOW... Very nice work.

I like your way of making a compartment for the returning coolant. How did you get it to stay in position?
    [QUOTE]

Good morning Gary. Thats pretty much just where it wanted to be . It did seperate from the side wall towards the bottom of the tank positioning the Danner pump (which went in first) took care of the that.
    Last edited by jamaljaco; 12-21-2003 at 03:09 PM.

Banned
    Hello Sky , welcome to the madness. After cleaning with navel jelly and various grits of sandpaper it all had to be painted . The only part I didnt paint was the copper tubing and the evap .Not sure of the actual db rating it was more of a joke.Its as loud as a window a/c .Not sure of the cfm either , thats original equipment.

Xtreme Member
    man ur really makin me jealous!!! damnit i wish i didnt break my chiller!!! well i am gona fix that thing asap!
    In the works... P5wdh | E6600 | G-skill 6400 hz | Ocz Gamextreme 700w | 2x Wd 250 raid-0 | 7600gs until i get my x1950pro
    Main Rig: - Ic7-g 2.4c @3.3 1.6v| 2x 256mb corsahair 3500 2-3-3-5 | 9700128mb | Antec430 truepower | mcw478uht cpu @ 10c full load
    Server:- Epox 8rda+ 2100 @ 2.4 1.85v | 2x 256 corshair 3200 twinx | msi5200 | TTGI520 | slk800 40c full load soon to be watercooled.....

Banned
    Originally posted by Gary Lloyd
    . Anybody know what a vcache is? Mine seems to be full... LOL
    sORry Gary I've forgotten most my paleontology.

Banned
    Wow! Thanks for the heads up on that fan shroud . Must have knocked at least 10db off the noise factor , hehe..

Banned
    Originally posted by Gary Lloyd
    My beloved pentium 60mhz has finally gone the way of the dinosaurs. I have pieced together a 166mhz now, cannibalizing 3 old computers in the process, and am having nothing but problems. Anybody know what a vcache is? Mine seems to be full... LOL
    Ok, as a historian here,,,think I can help you w/ your vcache prob Gary, LOL. The Virtual Cache (VCache) is a disk cache that stores data from the HDD in the faster RAM so that if a program needs that certain piece of data, it can just access it in the vcache instead of accessing the HDD, which would take longer. The VCache can also copy more data than what the program asks for in anticipation that the next data segment would be needed next. This helps your HDD's performance. It kinda works in conjunction w/ your swapfile (virtual memory). You can optimize your VCache in your Registry, Like so:
    Open your System.INI file, scroll down until you see the line [vcache]. Usually, there will be nothing under this line. To adjust the vcache settings, you'll need to add the following lines below the line [vcache] :-

MinFileCache=xxxx
    MaxFileCache=yyyy
    ChunkSize=zzzz

where xxxx is the minimum size of the vcache in kilobytes (KB)
    yyyy is the maximum size of the vcache in kilobytes (KB)
    zzzz is the granularity of the vcache in bytes

Most agree that the optimal Max value would be 1/4 of the system RAM. Save any changes that you've made to the system.ini file, close Notepad and reboot the system. The changes will only take effect after you reboot the system.

This should help solve your problem. You can find a lot more information on this and other registry/disk optimizations at this site, its old stuff, written for win 98/2000 and also for older intels, but I found it VERY informative.....It might help you with your Dinosaurs! For the VCache info, goto the Disk Cache Optimization link. Hope it helps!
    http://www.adriansrojakpot.com/Speed_Demonz.htm

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Originally posted by jamaljaco
    Hello Sky , welcome to the madness. After cleaning with navel jelly and various grits of sandpaper it all had to be painted . The only part I didnt paint was the copper tubing and the evap .Not sure of the actual db rating it was more of a joke.Its as loud as a window a/c .Not sure of the cfm either , thats original equipment.
    thanks
    i went about my rig mostly like you described, sanding the tubing and all those bits that now shine as new. just gave those a transparent coating to keep it like that.
    so now i'm working to cut the noise down to as low as possible. atm the psu of one of my ancient 386-rigs supplies the power for the fans on the condenser and that psu is noisy as hell. while it isn't real loud, it's enough to blend out the delta fans @5/7v and the compressor's working noises are barely audible
    sky / s!p - we are oldskool, dammit.

Banned
    No Fair Sky! We wants pics.!.

Banned
    Yea , I used 2000 grit on my copper just to polish it . What clear coating did you use? Thought about clear coating mine but didnt know what would hold up to the hot and cold extremes.I really want to see your low noise fan solution .

Banned
    Originally posted by Pimpsho
    man ur really makin me jealous!!! damnit i wish i didnt break my chiller!!! well i am gona fix that thing asap!
    Pimpsho, I see your name on the boards , you better be working on that chiller! hehe.

Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast