Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: Chiller/ac unit

Xtreme Member
    alright so ive been trying to find a cooler to see how far i need to bend these tubes lil as possible i struck out tonight at sears so ill head back to home depot for a cooler of somesort...thanks for all the help gary u da man

X.I.P.
    mrnuke... Where are those pics you promised us?

Author - Refrigeration Trouble Shooting Books

Want to learn more? Click Here

X.I.P.
    ok in the middle of the picture towards the compressor...(right side of compressor) what is that called and what does that do?

that can is called a "RECEIVER" its basicly a holding tanks for excess freon or r22 in your case .. this requires a high amont to be used to chargew the setup and aids in keeping a constant flow of freon at all times I would think.. PC directdie units almost neevr have these as they casue too much hastle.. anything else I forgot to add or was off on the masters can answer for ya
    Nope. I haven't gotten a good look at it, but it will be either a suction drier, or far more likely, an accumulator. Receivers are not used on cap tube systems.

Author - Refrigeration Trouble Shooting Books

Want to learn more? Click Here

Xtreme Member
    lil more progress!! cap tubbing ready to go...im gona bend that 90 degree angle in a few! hope fully well be talkin chilled water tomaro if nothing gets in my way!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capajustmeant.jpg 
Views:	6880 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	5745  

Xtreme Member
    and gary this is what i was talking about...the thing all covered in frost is what?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	collector.jpg 
Views:	6716 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	5746  

Xtreme Member
    Originally posted by MickeyMouse
    that can is called a "RECEIVER" its basicly a holding tanks for excess freon or r22 in your case .. this requires a high amont to be used to chargew the setup and aids in keeping a constant flow of freon at all times I would think.. PC directdie units almost neevr have these as they casue too much hastle.. anything else I forgot to add or was off on the masters can answer for ya
    yes and no. that is an accumulator which is included to prevent liquid from entering the compressor. these are commonly used in ac units becasue of varying ambient temperature and heatloads (ie ac setting etc.). since you cant charge for a specific heatload you have to have an operating range for the system to work with. when the heatload is low (evaporator fan on slow, or high ambeint temperature) not all the liquid will evaporate and can
    back up to the compressor, an accumulator prevents this. this is also common with expantion valve throttled systems where liquid slugging can be a problem on startup because the sensor bulb hasnt been cooled enough.

off topic:
    freon = r12

if (refrigerant != r12)
    {
    refrigerant != freon
    }
    Last edited by ellsworth; 11-22-2003 at 10:03 PM.
    electrical engineering lab rat

As always, there are three important questions involved:

What is the heat load?

How cold do you want it?

Will that be Visa, MC, or Discover Card?

-gary

Xtreme Member
    ahh gotcha!! so i assume the machI and II have these to right? since ur heat load varries whith full load and idle? thanks for the good info ellsworth ur one smart guy...good to have u on the forums helping us noobs out!!!
    In the works... P5wdh | E6600 | G-skill 6400 hz | Ocz Gamextreme 700w | 2x Wd 250 raid-0 | 7600gs until i get my x1950pro
    Main Rig: - Ic7-g 2.4c @3.3 1.6v| 2x 256mb corsahair 3500 2-3-3-5 | 9700128mb | Antec430 truepower | mcw478uht cpu @ 10c full load
    Server:- Epox 8rda+ 2100 @ 2.4 1.85v | 2x 256 corshair 3200 twinx | msi5200 | TTGI520 | slk800 40c full load soon to be watercooled.....

Xtreme Member
    prometia's use somthing similar to prevent this without actually using an accumulator. they make a sharp bend in the pipe (u-shape) right before the inlet so that the liquid can collect and boil off before entering the compressor. the heatload doesnt vary enough i dont think to need an actual accumulator.

What is the heat load?

How cold do you want it?

-gary

Xtreme Member
    Originally posted by Gary Lloyd
    commin tomorrow, can't find my camera....... but i will have them tomorrow thanks for that 12 can cooler recommendation, fits PERFECT!

Xtreme Legend
    Pimpsho - i hope you have A LOT of STRONG anti corrosion additives as i see at least 4 metals there... aluminium, copper, steel and Zn (dunno the english name) wich is the coating on the steel... add brass on the joints... ouch

Xtreme Member
    anti-corrosion = antifreeze
    anti freeze is made for anti corrosion so your radiator doesnt corrode, and i think it is the glycol that makes it to where water cant react. the glycol fills the bonds so the water is saturated, if i remember my chemistry correctly. you need antifreeze anyways so you kill 2 birds with one stone.

What is the heat load?

How cold do you want it?

-gary

Xtreme Legend
    anti-corrosion = antifreeze

nope, not always... glycol isnt the anti corrosion part of a antifreeze... neither is alcohol... its in antifreeze to lower the point where water freezes up ... there are special additives in a system wich dont let corrosion occur, there are different types of antifreeze's, like for full aluminium systems, aluminium-s'steel, copper/ aluminium etc. i qould go for copper-aluminium systems antifreeze, a highly concentrated one. And i wouldnt use water to make it less dense but pure ethyl alcohol

Xtreme Member
    Originally posted by Gary Lloyd
    anyone know how many posts you have to have in order to post pictures on here? I got a few, but i can't put them up

Xtreme Member
    Originally posted by berkut
    nope, not always... glycol isnt the anti corrosion part of a antifreeze... neither is alcohol... its in antifreeze to lower the point where water freezes up ... there are special additives in a system wich dont let corrosion occur, there are different types of antifreeze's, like for full aluminium systems, aluminium-s'steel, copper/ aluminium etc. i qould go for copper-aluminium systems antifreeze, a highly concentrated one. And i wouldnt use water to make it less dense but pure ethyl alcohol
    well i can be xtra sure and have some anti corrosion in the water and anti freeze to be sure... what kinda stuff is out there that works berkut? or do u use it?
    In the works... P5wdh | E6600 | G-skill 6400 hz | Ocz Gamextreme 700w | 2x Wd 250 raid-0 | 7600gs until i get my x1950pro
    Main Rig: - Ic7-g 2.4c @3.3 1.6v| 2x 256mb corsahair 3500 2-3-3-5 | 9700128mb | Antec430 truepower | mcw478uht cpu @ 10c full load
    Server:- Epox 8rda+ 2100 @ 2.4 1.85v | 2x 256 corshair 3200 twinx | msi5200 | TTGI520 | slk800 40c full load soon to be watercooled.....

Xtreme Legend
    hmmm i would use G40 or G60 (for VW) or how's it called anti freeze. And as pure as you can get ethyl alcohol like i said. Soon ill do some testing beacause im planning to build in a water chiller and direct die chipset cooler to the cascade.

Xtreme Addict
    Originally posted by mrnuke
    anyone know how many posts you have to have in order to post pictures on here? I got a few, but i can't put them up
    Ive had it for quite some time...maeby after 20 posts or so.
    cool cool cool!

Xtreme Member
    damnit, it won't let me post pictures inbetween options and rate this fourm, there is supposed to be a picture one, but i don't have that option

Xtreme Member
    Last edited by mrnuke; 11-23-2003 at 12:02 PM.

Xtreme Member
    yay, there ya go gary
    DFI SLI-DR
    x850 xt
    3000+ Venice
    320GB WD SATA
    160GB WD IDE
    xp-120
    2x512 twinmos speed premium UTT
    NEC DVD Burner
    Lian Li V1000
    OCZ Powerstream 520W

Heatware

ebay

Xtreme Mentor
    Excellent thread guys, nice pics, keep them coming

Xtreme Member
    will do, gonna work on it some more later on, gotta do some drillin and fittin so i can seal it up and the liquid will not evaporate
    DFI SLI-DR
    x850 xt
    3000+ Venice
    320GB WD SATA
    160GB WD IDE
    xp-120
    NEC DVD Burner
    Lian Li V1000
    OCZ Powerstream 520W

Heatware

ebay

Xtreme Legend
    Damn, thats a perfect fit !

Xtreme Member
    yeah, Gary mentioned it and it fit my demensions perfect. Does anyone know what liquid to use so it won't freeze up. I am guessiong i can get temps in the -40c range.
    DFI SLI-DR
    x850 xt
    3000+ Venice
    320GB WD SATA
    160GB WD IDE
    xp-120
    NEC DVD Burner
    Lian Li V1000
    OCZ Powerstream 520W

Heatware

ebay

Xtreme Enthusiast
    go w/ winter grade anti-freeze

Xtreme Member
    dude how did u bend the tubes liek taht there so hard....and thats a exact replica of mine...have u put ne water in there yet or anti freeze?

Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast