Page 15 of 29 FirstFirst ... 51213141516171825 ... LastLast

Thread: Chiller/ac unit

Xtreme Addict
    @ Fats, where do you get all your air conditioning units?

Ripping it up on old technology
    i4memory.com

Banned
    Originally posted by FaTs
    I just looked at the other one and the specs are different it's a 7000BTU unit. I'll probably use that one as it seems to work better.
    hey , we starving for more pics over here ,lol. got any with the cases removed?

Xtreme Member
    Well guys..i have read through this entire thread and think i have enough info to proceed.

I have a 10,500 BTU General Electric AC that i plan on using and I am currently fighting with it to get it apart. Seems as if new A/C'c are easier to get apart.

Anyway, my current big problem is I do not know enough about which part is which.....

Also all of the evaps and coils I have seen throughough this thread are just normal radiator looking ones, mine is covered in what seems like a MILLION tiny peices of metal all the way around it.

The other problem here...is which side is the evap...on the back side there is a U shaped thing covered in the tiny peices of metal that covers three sides around the back of the ac...the fan itself was "inside" this in the case....on the front of the A/C where the dials are is another one that i guess kinda looks like a radiator but still has the peices of metal ALL over it...I am assuming this is the evap that will need to be placed in the cooler?

Someone please help..i will take pics if neccesary

Xtreme Legend
    Take some if you can.

The best way of finding a evaporator would be looking for a termistor sensor, in the air path or directly connected to thge evaporator or...

... simply turn it on for a second ;]

Banned
    Yea sounds like a big mutha. I have one like it that draws to many amps to run in my house. anyhow switch in on. The part that gets cold goes in the res. Pics always help.Don't sweat the wire brush looking fins,they are just a different style.

Xtreme Member
    Yes i turned it on...ran for awhile...but i think somethign has happened to it...it ran fine last winter...kept an entire house AWESONEly cold...well it has been in a garage since and it has been very cold outside..i wonder if somethngs wrong...

I turn it on and I can hear the compressor and everything running..it seems to shake a bit..and then after about 5 mins it almost reminds me of it switching gears or something..lol....the sound gets gradually louder and then the A/C makes like a noise and the compressor shuts off? then the lines that were getting really cold suddenly get really hot...any ideas?

Banned
    Ok ,I'm no expert, but i'll try.
    Is the ac in its proper orientation, botom down,top up ect.?

Xtreme Member
    well, at first when i was taking it apart it was upside down...but when I started running it, it was sitting the exact way it would sit if it were in the window

Xtreme Member
    Only difference is...i took off the fan....does the fan HAVE to be on when the A/C is running....could it be getting hot?

Banned
    I would let it sit for a few and try it again, sound like it tried to pump some liquid that didn't evap off. got pics?

Banned
    It needs the fan on the condensor.

Xtreme Member
    Ok...just so i can clear this up...the condenser is the part on back that is U shaped and the fan was "inside it" so to say......i take it the fan is used to cool it off?

Yes i am tryin to find a lamp around the house that i can put next to the A/C for lighting. I will get pics asap...

She is pretty dirty still at this point....OLD...lol

Banned
    Originally posted by Conflict
    Ok...just so i can clear this up...the condenser is the part on back that is U shaped and the fan was "inside it" so to say......i take it the fan is used to cool it off?

Yes i am tryin to find a lamp around the house that i can put next to the A/C for lighting. I will get pics asap...

She is pretty dirty still at this point....OLD...lol
    yes the condensor will be the part that was the back,the outside part, dont know about the shape of it ,they can come in many shapes,the fan here is used to cool and condense the vapor into a liquid. that liquid then is forced through the cap tube,a long verry thin tube that leads to the evaporator where the liquid boils off (part that gets cold) don't worry bout the dirt mine were in worse shape,lol.
    the fan can be removed from the evaporator,pics will help a lot.

Xtreme Member
    Ok..the U shaped part i speak of is the part that covers the top and two sides in this pic. The lines on the bottom get very cold right after the coil part..and they go to the radiator on the front...the fan i took of is connected to the motor in the middle there
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	1979 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	8605  
    Last edited by Conflict; 02-08-2004 at 04:31 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Right here is what i suppose you guys call the coil. Sorry i am an extreme noob at all of this but desperately want to do this right and learn it completely.

The "coil" in this picture gets hot to the touch...and then were it straightens out it gets really cold...i don't know how refridgeration works but thats pretty cool hoever it works....anyway, these lines go through to the front which i will show next

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	1939 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	8606  

Xtreme Member
    Ok..the str8 lines go through the mtal plate and connect to the "evap?" in the front of the A/C

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	1938 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	8607  

Banned
    ok ,the firs pic looks like the condensor the back of the unit correct? the evap (the front coils) the part that will go into a res.
    Last edited by jamaljaco; 02-08-2004 at 04:40 PM.

Xtreme Member
    And heres the good stuff!

I think from looking at it this is 10,500BTU's...someone correct me if I am wrong. Also, if you guys who are way into this can tell if this is a good A/C to sue for this project it would be great!

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	1953 
Size:	117.9 KB 
ID:	8608  

Xtreme Member
    Originally posted by jamaljaco
    ok ,the firs pic looks like the condensor the back of the unit correct? you need the fan on there. lets get a pic of the front that radiator is the evap the part that will go into a res.
    the pic right above your post is the best i can get of the front evap...it is enclosed in a metal casing and i think it is welded together..i can't for the life of me figure out how to get to it...think im gonna have to cut it

Banned
    Yea posted before I saw the pic.
    you can remove any housing any way you need to but don't break any lines ok.

Banned
    lol I think I have the same unit but i didn't use it it would trip my circuit breakers like 12 amps, put the fan back on the back, fire it up and see what it does

Xtreme Member
    Yea it makes the lights flicker when it kicks off...im gonna eat some supper and then i will..thanks for the help..i will be back to this post in about an hour!

Banned
    Yea ,in answer to your question "would this be good to use"?
    yes if you can stand power bill run it for extended time w/o tripping a breaker and if you can get that evap into a cooler giving the length of the lines.
    I personaly would use a smaller one.

hey , we starving for more pics over here ,lol. got any with the cases removed?
    Took the case off the compressor last night, the smaller one doesn't seem to be working all that well. It takes a long time to cool down the coils and the compressor is getting very hot.

The bigger one is still in a window waiting to get removed on wenesday, it works alot better. The fan motor has completely died in it and when I was running it yesterday it got the evap down to 0c very quickly with no cooling on the condensor, it overheated before it could really ice up but

Edit: I've got some more pics, I'll post them up when I get home from work

Xtreme Member
    Yea ,in answer to your question "would this be good to use"?
    yes if you can stand power bill run it for extended time w/o tripping a breaker and if you can get that evap into a cooler giving the length of the lines.
    I personaly would use a smaller one.
    The power bill isn't even close to an issue...i have 5 computers running 24/7 3 of which are crunching SETI Wu's. Im pretty sure throwing a a/c in there for a bit ifn;t too bad. I already decided im gonna run a extension cord from the garage to my window for the power...that way it is on its own circuit

Same problem thow...put the fan back on and it still wants to kick off after a few minutes...

Gonna find a way to cut the metal off so i can get the evap free...and i am sure there is plenty enough hosing to get it to the cooler..

Page 15 of 29 FirstFirst ... 51213141516171825 ... LastLast