Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ... 31011121314151623 ... LastLast

Thread: Chiller/ac unit

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Originally posted by jamaljaco
    I sure will. Hey! welcome to the sickness! I was kinda wanting to do a vmod on my 5900 before i chilled it but i've been a little chicken. was thinking if i could find a block I might do it in the morning > You might just have been the motivation I need to get offf my @ss an do it
    lol, you sound like me. i've been pushing my gfx-vmod around. first i was waiting for the right block, which got delivered dec 24, then i was missing the pumps and the tubes.. (still missing the tubes) and now it's some fittings and neoprene.. doh.
    anyway. i've the complete vmod prepared, all soldered together, pots (cermets?) plus dipswitches to turn the individual mods of, fixed points to get the current voltages and the current resitance of the pots... all in place. just need to solder the 7 cableends to the acutal gfx-card . don't want to blow it while still air-cooling it

now do it! you got the rig and all setup...
    hey didn't i read somewhere you got "outclocked" on air by someone around here? do something about it hehe
    sky / s!p - we are oldskool, dammit.

Banned
    Good to see ya Sky, Yea she kicked my butt with my own ram, sheeeesh! BTW everone ,SHE KILLED THE BOARD! Yep. She returned the board and got another and is at this very moment trying to duplicate that 227 fsb.
    I went to radio shack to try and pick upa 20 and 50k pot for my mod but they didn't stock them. Will try again next weekend guess that gives me time to order a block from the danger den for my vid . Hey we got a new member .hopping to get some new chiller action on this thread .

Banned
    Originally posted by sky
    lol, you sound like me. i've been pushing my gfx-vmod around.

now do it! you got the rig and all setup...
    hey didn't i read somewhere you got "outclocked" on air by someone around here? do something about it hehe
    Ok. I did it . Not a matter to be entered into lightly.I paid $450 for this card when it first came out.
    here it is .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dsc01347 copy.jpg 
Views:	2593 
Size:	131.2 KB 
ID:	8114  
    Last edited by jamaljaco; 01-26-2004 at 07:29 PM.

Banned
    Now that I got it ready to generate some heat , I went to prepping it for the xtreme cold ,well not to xtreme just -25c

Here I pulled the heat spredder from the gpu the big @ss ramsinks are made from an old slot one heat sink that met my hacksaw.

Name:	dsc01349 copy.jpg 
Views:	2583 
Size:	82.6 KB 
ID:	8115  

Banned
    Then I fliped the card over and covered most all the back with that dielectric grease stuff, added some weather stripping and pushed the mounting bolts through.Not seen in the pic but after I mount the block I will add two more strips to cover the ends of the bolts.

Name:	dsc01358 copy.jpg 
Views:	6218 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	8116  

Banned
    Now back to the front of the card where I added more grease and a layer of neoprene this layer sits flush with the gpu die to form a seal where the block will overhang.Note the dielectric grease in the center, up to but not on the die.

Name:	dsc01357 copy.jpg 
Views:	6293 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	8118  

Banned
    Ah! the resting spot for my block.I added another layer of neoprene to sit flush with the bottom of my homemade block mount.
    Notice the offset bolt patern,the block I will be using is from my Corsair Hydrocool kit, a cpu block that I had to mount slightly off center to match the available holes in my vid card.

Name:	dsc01362 copy.jpg 
Views:	6252 
Size:	88.2 KB 
ID:	8119  
    Last edited by jamaljaco; 01-26-2004 at 08:07 PM.

Banned
    Ok Sky, do to lack of funds and just wanting to check it out and see how well it worked I'm using a microchannel design with the 3/8" OD 1/4 ID tubing nipples and tubing ready to go from the Hydrocool Kit. this tubing is good to -91f I looked it up.

Name:	dsc01335 copy.jpg 
Views:	2497 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	8120  

Banned
    To keep from having to break into my already insulated circuit and to keep from having to purchase a block with half inch nipples I decided to add a second loop for my vid, here is a pic with the hoses plumbed into my res and waiting to be insulated.

Name:	dsc01341 copy.jpg 
Views:	2440 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	8121  

Banned
    I managed ti fit a second pump into my res. this pump is only 1.5 inches wide and has a flow rate of around 250 liters an hour when the coolant is chilled down the flow rate is more like one liter an hour. the white tubing is ice maker tubing used for extensions as the hydrocool tubes were not long enough.

Name:	dsc01337 copy.jpg 
Views:	2446 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	8124  

Banned
    With a little coolant and some insulation I'm about ready to chill down for a loop test.

Name:	dsc01377 copy.jpg 
Views:	2415 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	8125  

Banned
    Ah frost! ok no leaks, bout ready to mount her. My mounting plate is visable here.

Name:	dsc01361 copy.jpg 
Views:	6140 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	8126  

Banned
    The rest I'll just let the pics do the talking.

Name:	dsc01367 copy.jpg 
Views:	2416 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	8127  

Banned

Name:	dsc01364 copy.jpg 
Views:	6176 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	8128  

X.I.P.
    Yikes... Frost... LOL

Author - Refrigeration Trouble Shooting Books

Want to learn more? Click Here

Banned

Name:	dsc01365 copy.jpg 
Views:	2403 
Size:	103.6 KB 
ID:	8129  

Banned
    I'll have more info,temps and such after some test ,right now I gotta cLoCk !
    see ya

Name:	dsc01378 copy.jpg 
Views:	2364 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	8130  

Banned
    Originally posted by Gary Lloyd
    Yikes... Frost... LOL
    LOL!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    i LOVE every bit of that! just that dielectric grease.. ahh.. that always looks so damn sick.. i mean.. i'll be doing it soon enough, but it still looks not right... i tried to keep all my stuff clean and gleaming and then.. well phase change has its downsides, i guess
    ok now go clock! hehe
    oh and something i'm not 100% sure on.. go search for the trick with the 59'series and their tempsensor. i don't know wether this was regarding the 59 or the 5950, but some of them shut down because they can't read negative figures and interpret them as high positives -> power down.

and what are the gpu and mem clocks default and those that you ran it with up to now - and naturally what's the new clocks!

good thing. so now i got to get working

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I was also looking for it in he midst of my bookmarks file but couldn't find it....
    If you get it please post it here, thx m8

jamaljaco-> fantastic job d00d, respect!
    Pristine application of condensation proofing/insulation - eye candy man!
    Oh, and your volt mods, almost wet myself from sheer beauty and cleanliness of your solder job!
    Congratulations and keep us posted.

What about the rest of you guys, any progress?
    Stock is never good enough!

M E D U S A

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Very nice jamaljaco

My card will look quite the same in a few weeks
    Pifast:
    Socket 754 3700+ Clawhammer action:
    39.64sec 11*285 2.5-3-3-7
    Now Pifast @ 3306MHZ !!! 37.72sec World record!
    Now SuperPi 1M @ 3306mhz 26.922sec World record!

Ministry of Overclocking Contests

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Originally posted by Jabo
    I was also looking for it in he midst of my bookmarks file but couldn't find it....
    If you get it please post it here, thx m8

jamaljaco-> fantastic job d00d, respect!
    Pristine application of condensation proofing/insulation - eye candy man!
    Oh, and your volt mods, almost wet myself from sheer beauty and cleanliness of your solder job!
    Congratulations and keep us posted.

What about the rest of you guys, any progress?
    i think mickey posted the part about the 59'series temp prob. as for progress.. i'm stuck atm. trying to get some stuff delivered to me.. can't do much of anything till those parts arrive and the itch is getting worse.. must .. not... use... vmod...... yet

eh.. and you'll wet yourself again, when you see pics of my vmod. maybe not from its sheer beauty, but from laughing... ehhe

Bravo Jamal, Nice work indeed !!

Hope you get some good numbers from the additional mods. Anxious to see the stats.

PS Like the baffle mod on the condensor. Did that help the noise??

Also looks like the coolant is a little darker. Did you change the mix?
    Last edited by ehorn; 01-27-2004 at 07:07 PM.

Banned
    Here is the link to MM's 5900 vmod thread :http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...5&pagenumber=1
    First off thanks folks for all the praise.
    @ Sky, I Don't have the below zero thermal throttling issue,I believe thats for the 5900 ultra,mine is non ultra and stops at zero.
    Ok now my lame attempt at some stats.First I'll try to describe the effects on my coolant with an ambient temp of lets say 24c.My chiller pulls my coolant down to -25c unloaded in about 20 minutes. It will drop another 5c over the next hour unloaded. Loaded ( 2600mhz)at idle with just the cpu and nb my coolant stays at -25c and bios reports a cpu temp of around 10c. With my video loop at default clock at idle the coolant hangs around -23c and my gpu hasn't gone over 0 no matter what speed.With everything clocked and volted as high as I can get it and a few 3D Mark runs the coolant reaches a sweltering -20c. Now thats some cooling power!
    I must say I was impressed at how just a trickle of flow in my vid loop was so efective. I'm not kidding when I say I have maybe 5 gph flow . My ram sinks will ice up in a few minutes if I forget to turn on my computer while the pumps are running.

My default gpu is 400mhz and the vram is 850mhz.With regular water cooling and stock voltage I was able to clock up to 475mhz gpu and 950mhz vram simi stable . With modded voltage and my beloved chiller I can now get up to 600mhz gpu and 1100 mhz vram simi stable I can't resist the urge to tweek the volts higher as I can't seem to get my card warm hehe.My ram sinks seem very efective. They stay cold to the touch. My only concern is some of the other componets on the card that are working overtime. I have fans on them and will be making more sinks for them .

Banned
    Originally posted by ehorn
    Bravo Jamal, Nice work indeed !!

Hope you get some good numbers from the additional mods. Anxious to see the stats.

PS Like the baffle mod on the condensor. Did that help the noise??

Also looks like the coolant is a little darker. Did you change the mix?
    ehorn, good to see you keeping an eye on things
    Yes the plexiglass shroud helps a bit with the fan noise as it keeps the air from blowing all over the place.It also looks pretty good and was a simple solution just two parts glued at a 90 degree angle. The other end is open.
    And yes again on the coolant I switched from 70/20/10 methanol water prestone to 70/30 methanol prestone .I didn't like the water it was causing my hoses to turn a milky white color and didn't have the anti corrosion inhibitors I get with the extra prestone.Also I seem to get a couple degrees cooler with the prestone.
    Last edited by jamaljaco; 01-27-2004 at 08:59 PM.

Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ... 31011121314151623 ... LastLast