Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: Chiller/ac unit

Xtreme Member
    btw, what do you recommend for liquid in the loop?
    DFI SLI-DR
    x850 xt
    3000+ Venice
    320GB WD SATA
    160GB WD IDE
    xp-120
    2x512 twinmos speed premium UTT
    NEC DVD Burner
    Lian Li V1000
    OCZ Powerstream 520W

Heatware

ebay

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Originally posted by mrnuke
    btw, what do you recommend for liquid in the loop?
    I use denatured alcohol & proplyene glycol. rather then putting a barb on the bottom where it might leak i go in the side near the top. i use a submersable pump but you can still do it with an inline
    pump by running a pickup hose to the bottom.

X.I.P.
    Anyway, I'm thinking the next step should be to cut that shaft right back close to the motor. You won't be needing that anymore. And all of that styrofoam can be removed. Then we can think about what size/shape container we need for a reservoir.

Author - Refrigeration Trouble Shooting Books

Want to learn more? Click Here

X.I.P.
    gary, thank you sooooooooooo much, i was looking for a cooler, but now that you stumbled upon this, and it is quite a nice size! I'm in the same situation. Would u recommend that you put a barb on the bottom to take the water out?
    I have seen these coolers in the stores. They are sold everywhere. If at all possible, everything should go through the top lid.
    Last edited by Gary Lloyd; 11-21-2003 at 11:48 PM.

Xtreme Member
    yes i am trying to think of the best way to move the condenssor into a cooler the tubes from the condensor going to the compresoor are low so what would u guys recomend me doing in order to let the condensor slide into the cooler? up for ne ideas if u have ne thing let me know cuz ill be cuttin and doin this within a matter of hours just runnin ideas through my head as of now...

X.I.P.
    The condenser? Don't you mean the evaporator?

Xtreme Legend
    You can make a reserviour of plexiglas and glueing it with plexi meled in acetone...

Xtreme Member
    hey pimpsho. where did you get it and what size is it?

Xtreme Member
    @gary: ya the evaporator...i was drinkin last night and sat down and tried to describe what i was thinkin ...

@berkut: i was trying to see if i could have it in an insulated res but ive made a plexi glass res for my 2rads and L30 b4 so if all else fails i could plolly build one arround the evaporator.

@ viocous i got her off ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ory=20711&rd=1
    In the works... P5wdh | E6600 | G-skill 6400 hz | Ocz Gamextreme 700w | 2x Wd 250 raid-0 | 7600gs until i get my x1950pro
    Main Rig: - Ic7-g 2.4c @3.3 1.6v| 2x 256mb corsahair 3500 2-3-3-5 | 9700128mb | Antec430 truepower | mcw478uht cpu @ 10c full load
    Server:- Epox 8rda+ 2100 @ 2.4 1.85v | 2x 256 corshair 3200 twinx | msi5200 | TTGI520 | slk800 40c full load soon to be watercooled.....

Xtreme Member
    ok guys got a quick question. how would i bend the copper tubbing without breaking it? is it possible to do by hand?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Very slowly! take your time. i do it all by hand. dont try to bend any sharp radius. copper bends easy, watch for kinks.
    Last edited by vlad; 11-22-2003 at 09:49 AM.

Xtreme Member
    sweet! ya ill be takin it slow i got all day to get the evap into a cooler

X.I.P.
    Did you get that styrofoam out of the way so we can see how much room we have?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Originally posted by Gary Lloyd
    I'm almost afraid to ask for pictures, but I don't care what the compressor looks like. I want to see the evaporator.
    Im pretty close to you. Im in Troy.
    20026 01 <-- 9500 NP (on air) CPU TEC Cooled.

Originally posted by FUGGER
    Just the live video sex chat girls come to mind, not that I know anything about that
    With detail settings maxed, full PS and VS support, and highest resolution available, my life runs at 60FPS solid.

Xtreme Member
    ok im gona buy a tube bender...dont wana risk lookin the good stuff inside the pipes! i hope home depot has what im lookin for

Xtreme Member
    Originally posted by Gary Lloyd
    Did you get that styrofoam out of the way so we can see how much room we have?
    ya leme get a snap shot

Xtreme Member
    here it is with the fan takin out now we got some room to work!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	acappart.jpg 
Views:	12708 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	5736  

X.I.P.
    Im pretty close to you. Im in Troy.
    Hello from Trenton. Wavin at ya.

Xtreme Member
    ok, i started my project today, and i'll have pics up a bit later. I found one of those coolers at target for 10 bux and my evap will fit perfectly. I made some mods to the ac unit by cutting the shaft down, and clearing some of the fan molding off. I was gonna get a danner mag 5, and since u say to go all through the top, will it suck up the liquid? or does it have to be submerged?
    DFI SLI-DR
    x850 xt
    3000+ Venice
    320GB WD SATA
    160GB WD IDE
    xp-120
    2x512 twinmos speed premium UTT
    NEC DVD Burner
    Lian Li V1000
    OCZ Powerstream 520W

Heatware

ebay

X.I.P.
    This is going to take some creative bending to get it in a cooler. We can try to get just the evaporator in a small cooler, or we can use a large cooler and put both the evaporator and the suction line in it. Either way, a bending tool is a very good thing to have. Keep in mind that the weak spot is the connections. We want to bend the tubes without breaking the braze joints.
    Last edited by Gary Lloyd; 11-22-2003 at 04:02 PM.

Xtreme Member
    ok i have a good idea but i duno if it is possible... ok if u see in this pic the capillary tubbing is low and also coiled up... now im trying to have all the stuff goin in through the lid of the cooler and i duno what the big tube is thats comming off the top of the evap but that ends up goin towards the top of the compressor. so my idea is to have the cooler butting up right next to the compressor so that i dont have to bend ne tubbing except for the cap tubing. now im wondering if its going to be possible to unravel the captubbing just enough to run up the big tube that it is zip tied to or is it not possible? my thoughts are that the cap tube will kink or be kinda twisted if i unravel it a lil..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	captubing.jpg 
Views:	8299 
Size:	102.6 KB 
ID:	5739  

X.I.P.
    Cap tubing is no problem at all. You can bend it all over the place without kinking or breaking it. Just be careful not to put stress on the ends of the cap tube. That is where it can break. You can also easily bend the small tube that the cap tube is attached to (with your bending tool). But again, just be careful of the point where they connect to each other.

Xtreme Member
    ok im gona go do it also just so i know...whats gona happen if i break a joint? how bad is freon?

X.I.P.
    If it breaks, just back up and let it blow. Liquid on your skin can cause frostbite. The refrigerant is non-toxic, but avoid breathing it anyway. It contains no oxygen, and you need oxygen. Open a window. Wear gloves and goggles, just in case.

X.I.P.
    In the picture you have added the words "move cap tubing up here". To the right of the word "up" there is a 45 degree bend in the suction line. Use your bending tool to straighten out the tubing, removing that bend. This will move the suction line away from the compressor, giving you a lot more room. Then you won't have to sit the cooler on top of the compressor base.

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast